PDA

View Full Version : Delaware River Gap

horicon
05-03-2010, 08:36
Is there any places to stay near the Delaware River Gap thta vis near the AT???

kayak karl
05-03-2010, 08:49
Is there any places to stay near the Delaware River Gap thta vis near the AT???
the town of Gap. a friend stayed at the church hostel last night. they're in the guide book.

there are hotel/motels there also. i like camping at Worthington State forest.

LIhikers
05-03-2010, 10:00
There's also a backpacker's campground up on the NJ side. I just can't remember if it's on the AT or one of the other trails nearby and I don't have the maps handy to check.

Old Grouse
05-03-2010, 10:08
Google the Mohican Outdoor Center. On the AT, about 8 miles from DWG if I remember right.

kayak karl
05-03-2010, 10:10
There's also a backpacker's campground up on the NJ side. I just can't remember if it's on the AT or one of the other trails nearby and I don't have the maps handy to check.
you might be thinking about Rivers Bend.
or Worthington which is west DOWN hill from Sunfish Pond.

faarside
05-03-2010, 10:10
the town of Gap. a friend stayed at the church hostel last night. they're in the guide book.

there are hotel/motels there also. i like camping at Worthington State forest.

Ditto... "The Church of the Mountain Hostel" is a great place, very friendly folks. I go along with KK on Worthington State Forest - It's THE BEST! Camp sites are available less than a stones throw from the Delaware River bank. Very relaxing!

Happy Trails!

emerald
05-03-2010, 12:01
Delaware Water Gap is the name of the natural feature, borough and post office. The full name of the church operating the hiker hostel is Presbyterian Church of the Mountain.

Detailed information including a map is available from National Park Service at their Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (NRA) website. I prepared a post accessible with the search feature including pertinent information for NRA A.T. hikers some time ago.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=842830&postcount=3 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=842830&postcount=3)

More information can be found in ALHDA's Companion available at the bottom of this post. Click on the white blazes on ALHDA's website to access information.

max patch
05-03-2010, 12:05
IIRC the church only has enough space for long distance hikers and limits their services to same.

Foyt20
05-03-2010, 12:16
On the NJ side, about 4 or so miles up from the parking lot off rt *), there is the backpacker campsite, and it is on the at. If you get to sunfish pond you have gone too far.

Nice walk to get up there. It is the place my father took me on my first backpacking trip.

Blissful
05-03-2010, 14:15
Mohican Trail center is great. The pizza we had delivered in '07 was the best on the trail.

horicon
05-03-2010, 15:09
Thanks for the information