PDA

View Full Version : Maryland......Need Input

Corkscrew
05-03-2010, 17:35
Fellow Whiteblazers, I need some help/information. I'm planning a Section Hike to knock off Maryland. I'm planning on doing it in the next two weeks. I want to park my vehicle in Harpers Ferry and get a shuttle to Pen Mar Rd/Park. I have a few questions:

1.)Where is the safest place to park in Harpers Ferry for 3-4 days that is accessible? example-If I finish at 11pm, I want to get in my car and drive?

2.)Who should I contact for a shuttle to Pen-Mar road/park?

3.)I'm a Hammock Hanger, Will I have plenty of trees?

4.)Any Water Supply issues?

Thanks for taking the time to enter a response. I appreciate the input.

Thanks Corkscrew

"Chance favors the prepared mind"

Mrs Baggins
05-03-2010, 17:49
Park at the HF Visitors Center off of Hwy 340. Register your vehicle with the rangers and it will be perfectly safe there. The water source at Ed Garvey shelter is usually good but it is nearly 1/2 a mile straight down the hill from the shelter. Don't know about trees for hammocks.

johnnyblisters
05-03-2010, 18:25
Park at the HF Visitors Center off of Hwy 340. Register your vehicle with the rangers and it will be perfectly safe there. The water source at Ed Garvey shelter is usually good but it is nearly 1/2 a mile straight down the hill from the shelter. Don't know about trees for hammocks.

I second everything Mrs. Baggins has already said. You will have a lot of places to string your hammock in MD, let alone almost everywhere else on the AT.

Toolshed
05-03-2010, 18:49
When you stash your vehicle - Make sure the HF NPS desk clerk gives you the Cell number for the Roving Ranger - Call them when you get to your vehiucle and They will come over and open the NPS gate.
I used Rock and River in Harpers Ferry (I think that's what they are called - about $40 for the shuttle, IIRC).
PS COrrection - It was actually River and Trail Outfitters- An older fellow set up the schedule. I think his son owns the outfitters, and it was around $60 several years ago...

Mrs Baggins
05-03-2010, 19:11
Also, when you get to the park where the Washington Monument is there should be ample running water from taps. There are restrooms and picnic areas so I would have to believe there is water. And at Turners Gap (just past the South Mountain Inn restaurant) there are showers and real toilets. More water there.

Blissful
05-03-2010, 19:54
When you stash your vehicle - Make sure the HF NPS desk clerk gives you the Cell number for the Roving Ranger - Call them when you get to your vehiucle and They will come over and open the NPS gate.

Wow I needed to get this info, timely thanks. Any idea though when the gate closes? Is it like dusk - like 8 or 9 PM?

kolokolo
05-03-2010, 21:01
I just did that section about a week ago. I hiked Pen-Mar to HF, though. River and Trail Outfitters shuttled for me, but it was $2/mile, which works out to a lot more than $40.

Also, there was plenty of water. We crossed a number of streams that we could have gotten water from. In addition to the places named in previous posts, there was water fairly close to the trail (a few hundred yards behind the shelter) at Ensign Cowall, and there was a nice spring at Rocky Run.

Have a great hike!

wystiria
05-04-2010, 09:50
We have recently done that section and are now working on PA. I agree with everyone, though we parked at Penmar. Water in that area is pretty decent - sometimes you have to walk a ways for it like the PP mentioned. Other wise we had no issue.

We have use the same guy for shuttling for the last 3 years. Michael Galinas - <[email protected]> He has been more affordable than the others and very reliable.

Have fun!

Saffirre8
05-04-2010, 10:11
Hello- I am acutally doing this hike this weekend. River riders has a shuttle that is $80. It is $1 a mile and it is 40 miles one way from HF to Pen-Mar. Here is his email [email protected]. There are lots of streams that you can get water from that are actually better then the springs at the shelters. The 1st day is going to be the hardest of them all especailly with a fully loaded pack.. There are lots of acents and decents on day 1. If you have any questions just PM me cause i am doing this trip in 3 days. I can let you know all the info that you need.

twosticks
05-04-2010, 10:14
When my wife and did that section, we parked our cars at the commuter parking lot on Friday night and hopped in when we got back on Sunday. As for the shuttle part, I have nice friends who are willing to drive a bit.

Bumpa
05-04-2010, 21:33
We have recently done that section and are now working on PA. I agree with everyone, though we parked at Penmar. Water in that area is pretty decent - sometimes you have to walk a ways for it like the PP mentioned. Other wise we had no issue.

We have use the same guy for shuttling for the last 3 years. Michael Galinas - <[email protected]> He has been more affordable than the others and very reliable.

Have fun!

I used Mike..this past month...very accommodating and reasonably priced and good availability

Don H
05-04-2010, 21:52
Parking at PenMar is very safe too, if you want to head south.

horicon
05-05-2010, 15:00
I was in MD about 3 weeks ago. Great Time. There are no problems with parking or water. Best bet is to hike with some one so you can get back to your car.

Parking at the HF Visitor Center in Hapers Ferry and Washington Monument in MD.

Water at Washington Monument

fredmugs
05-05-2010, 17:08
I did that section SOBO as well a couple of years ago. My car was locked in the parking lot and fortunately a ranger drove past and was able to open the gate.

I hammocked and there are numerous spots for that.

Also just past the rest room area in the Washington Monument section there are soda machines.

I seem to recall from my map that the water at the northern end of MD was not something you wanted to even filter.

I hiked through there on a weekend and I must have seen over 200 people on the trail each day.

BigHodag
05-05-2010, 22:03
Thanks for the info. I too will be hiking this section in a few weeks. Just bought my Greyhound tickets. Egresssing at Harrisburg.

May have to dial back my Day 1 mileage a bit based on comments.

I'm working on a mobile A.T. guide book to support my MD/PA section hike. Have most of the data for MD entered.

at.ubik.net (http://at.ubik.net/)

Keep in mind the mobile guide is meant to be accessed by mobile device, thus it is simple and stripped down to essentials.

Look forward to everyone's after-hike trip reports.

RETCW4
05-06-2010, 09:17
BigHodag,

I'll be hiking from Pine Grove Furnace to Caledonia State Park in a few weeks. Maybe I'll see you on the trail.

Tumbleweed

Corkscrew
05-26-2010, 09:27
Thanks everybody for your input. I finished the section in a total of 4 days, taking it easy of course. I used lee @ riverandtrail for my shuttle. All of the springs were running great I didnt filter and had no problems. Be sure to check out the new Rocky Run Shelter it rocked, best shelter I have seen.

QuebecRun
05-26-2010, 10:25
That Rocky Run Shelter is great. The floor was so beautiful, we joked about needing to remove our shoes before going in!