PDA

View Full Version : Harriman Train sta to AT

fw2008
05-03-2010, 20:09
Hi;
I am planning a day hike on the AT from route 17 at Arden Valley road SOBO to ?? and return, on Sunday.
I have decided I will take the train to Harriman.

From the train station, it is about 2mi to the AT.
How is the walking on route 17? Is the shoulder wide enough to walk safely?

Thanks for any info.

FW

Appalachian Tater
05-03-2010, 20:14
http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/newtrails/sapphire.html

Why roadwalk? Take the trail.

Ender
05-03-2010, 21:39
I still have to try the Sapphire Trail one of these days. I and a few friends are headed up that way in two weeks... we're going to do the road walk to save some time so we have more time in camp that night. The road walk is fine, plenty safe to do, so no worries there. If it was just me though I'd probably take the Sapphire Trail though.

fw2008
05-03-2010, 22:48
I didn't know the Sapphire trail existed! I've got an old set of maps I guess:(
But one of the main reasons I am doing this hike is Arden Mountain / Agony Grind :D

I did the 9D to Camp Smith climb last week, and now I want to do the other big one in the area :)

I am starting my training for a possible Feb 2011 TH, so I need the climb.

Thanks for the info though. Maybe on my return trip, if I don't feel that my legs will handle the descent on Agony Grind, I'll take the trail.

FW

sasquatch2014
05-04-2010, 07:59
Agony is just steep not a very long climb. If you really want to work on climbing I would do the area right at the Bear Mt side of the section. Do Bear, West & Black. that will get the old heart pumping if your not in shape.

brooklynkayak
05-04-2010, 09:31
You want to climb? You could taker the train to the Tuxedo stop and do the Ramapo-Dunderberg or many others to the AT. It would be quicker to take 17, but is relatively flat and of course it's not going to be as nice.

fw2008
05-04-2010, 15:29
I have done Bear Mountain, and West Mountain, etc on the AT many times. I've also hiked just about every other trail in the park at one time, or many times.

If I really want to climb, then what I should do is the Whites, or maybe the Smokys :D, or what about the Devil's Path in the Catskills? I've done that in sections a few times.

I have also been looking at the Tuxedo Ramapo Dunderberg trail. Very convenient to the train station.
That is going to be on my short list for this summer.
I would go up there on a Saturday morning, hike through the park to Bear Mountain (2 days), and go home from Manitou on Sunday.

FW

LIhikers
05-04-2010, 18:46
You want a good climb, huh?
Take the train up to Cold Spring and hike the Break Neck Ridge trail.
In fact, if you need public transportation to hiking trails check out this page (http://www.nynjtc.org/content/you-dont-need-car) by the NY/NJ Trail Conference.