PDA

View Full Version : Soles worn out on Asolo boots

fw2008
05-03-2010, 21:02
Hi;
I've got a 12yr old pr of Asolo Gore-Tex Vibram boots. The uppers are leather, and are still in good shape, but the souls are shot.
Is there any hope of re-soling these boots? Or should I just buy new?

I am starting to think about an AT TH next year (Feb), so whatever I do, I would like it to last for a while.

Thanks

FW

restless
05-03-2010, 21:07
You might contact Asolo directly, however more than likely you will have to pay to have the soles replaced, if possible at all. Unless these boots have the old Norwegian Welt (stiched down soles as opposed to glued), you may be better off purchasing a new pair. At 12 years I'd say you have gotten your money's worth.Nothing lasts forever.

fw2008
05-03-2010, 22:04
Restless; Actually, I think that considering the age of my boots, I should just buy new.
I don't have much money right now, but if I am going to do any hiking at all, I have to take care of my feet:)

I might add that I have completely flat feet. For running marathons, I always buy the shoes with the best support/stability, so I will be looking for a boot with a good support system.

FW

Hikingsasquatch
05-03-2010, 22:18
Any chance you're a size 13?

fw2008
05-03-2010, 22:42
Any chance you're a size 13?
I might be, if I go one size large, as is recommended for a thru-hike.
My running shoes are size 12.

FW

RedneckRye
05-04-2010, 00:36
Contact The Man...
http://www.davepagecobbler.com/
If they can be fixed, he can do it.
If it isn't worth rebuilding them, he will let you know.

fw2008
05-04-2010, 07:12
Contact The Man...
http://www.davepagecobbler.com/
If they can be fixed, he can do it.
If it isn't worth rebuilding them, he will let you know.
I'll give him a call. Nothing to lose.

FW

garlic08
05-04-2010, 09:39
Also this guy: http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Komito.Boots.970-586-5391

Hikingsasquatch
05-04-2010, 10:01
If you have access to an outfitter that can let you try a pair of Garmont Kiowa Vegan GTX boots, and find that they fit well, let me know. I have a pair that is just a little to snug in the toe box for me, which I have only worn a few times. They are a light to mid-weight boot, and apart from the snug toes, I really like them. I couldn't find a buyer on E-bay, so I am hoping to contribute a little trail magic with the treads. If you are interested, send me a PM.

fw2008
05-04-2010, 15:22
If you have access to an outfitter that can let you try a pair of Garmont Kiowa Vegan GTX boots, and find that they fit well, let me know. I have a pair that is just a little to snug in the toe box for me, which I have only worn a few times. They are a light to mid-weight boot, and apart from the snug toes, I really like them. I couldn't find a buyer on E-bay, so I am hoping to contribute a little trail magic with the treads. If you are interested, send me a PM.
Maybe I'll get up to Campmor over the next couple of months, but from what I have read, those boots have a very narrow toe box, and not recommended for long hikes (a week or more) with a lot of weight on your back.
I don't think the weight would be an issue for me, since I weigh only 150lbs, and would not be carrying more than 30 on a thru-hike; but I am looking for a mid to heavy weight boot that would go as far as 1,000 miles.

I'll let you know if I become interested.

FW

Tinker
05-04-2010, 22:27
Asolo resoled a pair of my boots back in the 1990s. They told me not to dry them by the fire any more :D. I didn't, and they were fine until I gave them away to a vagabond hiker in need.

fw2008
05-04-2010, 23:41
Asolo resoled a pair of my boots back in the 1990s. They told me not to dry them by the fire any more :D. I didn't, and they were fine until I gave them away to a vagabond hiker in need.
Funny how you always see lots of guys drying their ski boots by the fire in the lodge. Everyone I know warns not to do that, so I don't.
That said, my Asolos are in desperate need of re-waterproofing. I used to be real good about re-coating them, but haven't touched them recently.

FW