PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag girth?

sierraDoug
10-23-2004, 11:50
I'm trying to compare my current sleeping bag (Trailwise Slimeline-see "The Complete Walker") to Western Mountaineering's Ultralite. How do I measure the girth at the shoulders on my old bag that would be similar to how they measure the new bags? I tried laying it unzipped and open and measuring the total width on the inside. I get about 55". The Ultralite is considered very tight at 59". Did I measure wrong?

ndwoods
10-23-2004, 15:00
Well, I just tried to measure my WM and it was wierd. I first measured what I thought was the widest part and got 59" inside and 65" out...this was on my Puma just cuz it was my easiest WM bag to get to for me, and it is sposed to be 62." Then I got determined to figure this out and went back in and messed with it. I finally got 62" at a spot that did not look to be the widest...optical illusion for some reason I guess. Anyway, I got the 62" inside shoulder girth measurement at the bottom of the first top baffle. Hope this helps.

ndwoods
10-23-2004, 15:13
PS the ultralite is considered tight and if that worries you, you might look at the megalite which is wider if this is all cuz you are looking at getting a new bag. My honey loves his megalite and he is 6'1/180. I have slept comfortable in an ultralite and an apache which are both 59" shoulder girth, but I actually prefer the wider versalite and I am 5'3/135.

sierraDoug
10-23-2004, 17:04
Thanks for the info. It got me down on the floor to measure more carefully. This time I stretched the bag out tightly and the inside, zipper to zipper, measured 59". Guess my bag's about like the Ultralite. I have a store near me that carries WM bags, so I'll go see if they have an Ultralite. I think I'll bring my bag with me. :)

chris
10-24-2004, 13:14
The girth on the ultralight is just right for me, despite being 6'4" and 210 lbs. For people wanting more room, WM recently released the Alpinlite, which I think is the ultralight with a few more inches.