PDA

View Full Version : Section hike on western end of MST - end of May?

jen.sprout
05-03-2010, 21:10
Hello -

Thinking of hiking the western end of the MST (Clingmans) to say about Asheville/Mt Mitchell area (depending on how far I get) in late May.

Any report on trail conditions? Was on Art Loeb last week and thankful the maintainers had gotten most of the ice damage cleared out. What a mess.

Any other advice (yes, I'll be all over the MST site and calling them as well)?

Planning solo unless someone else is interested for all or part. I'm an experienced long distance hiker and expect everyone to be self sufficient. I'm a 12-18 mile a day person depending on conditions. Feel free to contact me if interested.

-Jen aka Sprout

AT '96, many other hiking adventures east and west since

Ox97GaMe
05-03-2010, 21:18
How long you going for? I may be interested. I need some woods therapy time that doesnt include working on the trails.

Tennessee Viking
05-04-2010, 00:07
You may want to give Carolina Mtn Club a email. They do most of the maintaining from the park to Black Mtn campground.

I was at the FMST meeting in March. And Carolina Club members had just started clearing trail paralleling the Parkway when it finally opened.

Also contact Smokies, Pisgah Inn, Mt Mitchell State Park, and the Parkway office.

I would anticapte any sections that are off the parkway parallel, like the Mt Mitchell trails and Fork Ridge Trail, to still have some blowdowns.

MST Task Forces are in heavy force around Grandfather to up to Devils Garden.

jen.sprout
05-04-2010, 12:00
Tennessee Viking - thanks for the tips!

Ox97GaMe - I'm thinking 7 to 10 days. Looking at maybe the ~23rd (figure pack and travel the 22nd) and back home by the 30th to have a recovery day on Memorial day. But I have some flexibility. Could do something a bit later too - maybe leave on say 27th or 28th +/- and go into June instead (home by 6/5)? Getting toasty to hike I know, but still better than nothing. I understand the woods therapy thing and sympathize. I need to get away from my desk. Perhaps you can join for part?

I may have to bail due a possible work assignment which should be sorted in the next week or so. Things are tentative, but if you don't plan you can't go!

Regards,

Sprout

Taba
05-06-2010, 00:46
I never plan my hikes anymore. In fact I did no reseaerch for the Sheltowee Trace and got on the trail with no maps, directions or guidebooks. There was a recent news article saying that they have reblazed the entire trail. So, I am out testing the blazes. I get lost every now and the but for the most part they did a good job. Part of the fun in hiking for me now is planning to get lost.

grizzlyadam
05-06-2010, 10:40
I never plan my hikes anymore. In fact I did no reseaerch for the Sheltowee Trace and got on the trail with no maps, directions or guidebooks. There was a recent news article saying that they have reblazed the entire trail. So, I am out testing the blazes. I get lost every now and the but for the most part they did a good job. Part of the fun in hiking for me now is planning to get lost.

Says the man who is peddling the hell out of his guidebook.

Taba
05-06-2010, 12:56
Says the man who is peddling the hell out of his guidebook.

How many copies did you need?

Taba
05-07-2010, 03:13
Hey Jen,
Have fun on your hike wish I could join you myself but I have to finish the Sheltowee Trace.

Taba

jen.sprout
05-08-2010, 17:01
Thanks! Happy Hiking....