PDA

View Full Version : Mildewy Tent

Hikingsasquatch
05-03-2010, 22:38
My favorite tent of all time has some streaks of Florida mildew on the nylon walls. Anyone know if the fabric is salvageable? Should I ditch the tent?

RedneckRye
05-04-2010, 00:42
REI says...

Removing Mildew

Mildew can develop any time your tent is stored wet. It looks bad, smells bad and can damage your tent's waterproof coatings. DON'T LET IT START.

Alas, if it already exists, here's how to approach it:

* Try some light scrubbing with a sponge during a regular cleaning session.
* If mildew is still apparent, mix 1 oz. of MiraZyme® (or similar product) to 20 gallons of water in a bathtub and dip the whole tent.(Note: Lysol® also works, but its scent is attractive to bugs and critters and is thus not recommended).
* For spot treatment, use 0.5 oz. of MiraZyme® (or similar product) per 1 gallon of water and thoroughly scrub afflicted areas by sponge.
* Set up the tent in a shaded spot and allow it to air dry.
* Then, mix 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of concentrated lemon juice with 1 gallon of hot water.
* Rub the solution into the visible mildew and once again, allow the tent to dry.

This procedure will stop mildew growth and eliminate the odor, but it will never remove the stain. This can also be used to control odors caused by spoiled food.

Hikingsasquatch
05-04-2010, 10:04
Thanks for the advice.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 10:06
And remeber to get out of your tent to pee. . .

Graywolf
05-04-2010, 18:54
Well, :-? if it's Florida mildew, then take it to Georgia, the North Georgia Mountain mildew is much better for your tent..Florida is much too sticky..

Graywolf

Roland
05-04-2010, 19:06
It's pretty tough to beat bleach and water as a mildew remover.

But if you're looking for a commercially made product, I have had exceptional luck with X-14 Mildew Remover. My experience with X-14 has not been on tents, but on expensive marine fabrics. This product has always removed the stain and never discolored the fabric. I'm guessing it would work on your tent, in a similar way.

fw2008
05-04-2010, 21:16
So, how do you prevent mildew from starting if you are hiking every single day with the same gear? Do you take the bleach soln along, and use it periodically?
I mean; it's almost impossible to allow a tent to fully dry if you've got to pack it up and move on day after day.

FW

garlic08
05-05-2010, 01:45
So, how do you prevent mildew from starting if you are hiking every single day with the same gear? Do you take the bleach soln along, and use it periodically?
I mean; it's almost impossible to allow a tent to fully dry if you've got to pack it up and move on day after day.

FW

Every once in a while you do get a nice warm sunny day to lay your stuff out and dry it. A little UV from the sun is one of the best ways to kill nasty little buggers, and odors. Even one hour of sunlight after days of rain can give you a new lease on life and get you ready for a few more days of rain.

Franco
05-11-2010, 05:14
So, how do you prevent mildew from starting if you are hiking every single day with the same gear?

You could just buy a tent that has a silnylon fly. No mildew there..
( the types that don't have a PU undercoat, IE the ones you need to seam seal)
Franco