PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail thru-hike in June? I know, I know!!

stranger
05-03-2010, 23:43
I don't have much time on my hands...so I would really like to thru-hike this trail again, however, leaving June 1 would be my latest starting possibility:

So...let the fun begin, I know May can be crazy with blackflies and mud, I'm assuming june is the same...now, I plan to tent every single night, and I have a bugnet for my head...

Based on that, and I've made this trip twice before, what does everyone think? Am I just plain stupid or can it be done and still enjoyable? My two thru-hikes were much later in the summer/fall.

Cheers

Yukon
05-04-2010, 08:01
I guess an enjoyable hike is in the mind of the beholder. If you think you will be fine and have a good time then go for it. Me personally, the bugs can be a bit much that time of year. But, if you have a time constraint then it sounds like you don't have much choice...

Nean
05-04-2010, 10:01
I started june 5th once and had a great trip with no memories of it being buggy.;)

Slo-go'en
05-04-2010, 10:33
Hiking the LT last year in June would have been crazy. This year, it might not be too bad. Unless the weather pattern changes drasticly in the next 3-4 weeks. So far its been a pretty dry spring, with the south still getting all the big storms.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 10:37
Hiking the LT last year in June would have been crazy. This year, it might not be too bad. Unless the weather pattern changes drasticly in the next 3-4 weeks. So far its been a pretty dry spring, with the south still getting all the big storms.
We did it last year June 24 - mid July. . . rained heavy all but 2 days and was COLD!!!. . . :mad:

10-K
05-04-2010, 10:39
We did it last year June 24 - mid July. . . rained heavy all but 2 days and was COLD!!!. . . :mad:

Please stop... think flowers, sunshine, nice warm breeze, dry trail - like that...

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 10:42
Please stop... think flowers, sunshine, nice warm breeze, dry trail - like that...
This year seems to be shaping up as sweet hiking weather this summer. . . :sun:sun

10-K
05-04-2010, 10:55
This year seems to be shaping up as sweet hiking weather this summer. . . :sun:sun

Much better, thanks. :)

Yukon
05-04-2010, 10:56

I'm hoping so, I'd love to have some nice weather on our End-to-End beginning in mid August :sun

lazy river road
05-04-2010, 14:14

I am leaving June 22, I am trying to prepare for the weather and would love to hear about how cold it was. I cant decide if I want to bring a winter or summer set up. And any thing can be done as long as YOU enjoy doing it.

NorthCountryWoods
05-06-2010, 11:05

It's been fairly wet here lately. Raining a little bit everyday keeping the ground wet. The 24 inches of snow last week didn't help and is still melting at elevation.

Been harvesting some hemlock on land up near the trail this past week and the bugs have been on a steady increase. If I had to predict, I'd say it's going to be a typical oppressive bug season unless we dry out substantially....but all I'm seeing is more of the every other day rain pattern in the forecast.

The trout are biting tho! Got a big brown on a woolly bugger in Cambridge on Monday and a solid brookie on a mickey finn in Belvidere yesterday.

Always a bright side.

Drewby25
05-10-2010, 12:49
I'll be up there with you braving the Mud and Blackflies and taking all the necessary precautions but still a little nervous!!

Leaving Williamstown May27th Trail name Lightfoot

Have a great hike!

mudhead
05-10-2010, 12:53
It's been fairly wet here lately.

Oak and big leaf poplar leaves fully developed yet?

Deadeye
05-10-2010, 13:10
Oak and big leaf poplar leaves fully developed yet?

Nope, not even in the Champlain Valley

snow last several days, temps in the twenties tonight

Yukon
05-10-2010, 14:18
Southern VT is blooming up real nice right now :)

NorthCountryWoods
05-10-2010, 16:41
3 more inches of snow here yesterday.

StealthHikerBoy
05-23-2010, 08:04
Any update on current LT conditions? Specifically, I am interested in the "buginess" and "muddyness" from Killington southward. :-?

Jeff
05-23-2010, 09:19
Talked with "Cobweb" (NOBO on the LT) while resupplying in Manchester on May 22. Mud is tolerable but the bugs are out in force. He was using a headnet in camp. Forecast next week...little chance of rain but highs in the upper 80's.

Yukon
05-24-2010, 08:24
Any update on current LT conditions? Specifically, I am interested in the "buginess" and "muddyness" from Killington southward. :-?

I was out for the last three days in in the southern section. Mud isn't an issue, we actually need some rain. Bring plenty of bug spray though, they are out bad now...

lazy river road
05-24-2010, 10:48
Man June 22 is approaching...hopeing thing dry out and shape up nicely for a nice hikeing season. What are the chances of it droping below 40 on any given night?

Yukon
05-24-2010, 11:06
Man June 22 is approaching...hopeing thing dry out and shape up nicely for a nice hikeing season. What are the chances of it droping below 40 on any given night?

I can't comment on the northern section but I will say that the southern section is very dry, too dry actually in my opinion. I'm hoping we get some good rains this summer for the start of our End-to-End in August...