PDA

View Full Version : Environmentally friendly hiking

fw2008
05-03-2010, 23:56
Hello;
We've all heard and read the "Leave No Trace" guidelines, and understand the importance of this. We think of our hiking experience as an environmentally friendly activity, and indeed, part of our trail experience is a personal relationship with the environment.

Now think of how you arrive at your favorite trailhead. You probably drive your car, truck, SUV, or whatever fossil fuel consuming vehicle.
Isn't this counter to the whole purpose of hiking?

I have to admit that I am just as guilty as the rest when it comes to driving long distances solo to hike.
But today, after having been saturated with news of the catastrophic disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, I have to re-think some of my actions and decisions.
I would like to reduce my carbon footprint.

To me, it makes sense to have a group of hikers in one vehicle. A lot of hikers already do. I've seen groups of four or more hikers getting out of vehicles at the trailhead. But then, you have guys like myself who mostly hike solo.

What am I supposed to do?
I want to support the environment, and to help reduce our dependence on oil and gas, but I do not feel so comfortable seeking other hikers who are going to the same trailhead.
I doubt I could even find one person from my town that is interested in going to a particular trailhead on any given day.

This Sunday, weather permitting, I am going to try something different.
I want to hike the AT from route 17 on the west side of Harriman Park (Elk's Pen) up Arden Mountain (Agony Grind) and south.
I plan a hike of about 5-1/2 hours max.
But instead of driving my car to the trail, I am going to take the Metro North / NJT Railroad to Harriman and walk the 2 miles to the trail.

In order to get to Harriman from my home in Teaneck, NJ, I have to take two trains on the trip out, and a train and a bus on the trip home.

I am doing this because I feel that if I am going to hike the trail without leaving a trace, I want to also reduce or eliminate my carbon footprint getting to and from the trail as well.
I think that taking public transportation is a satisfying way to reach the trail.

I am planning another hike that will start at the Metro North AT station near Pawling, NY.
I also planning one that will begin at the Harriman, NY station, and end at the AT station at Pawling (a 6-7 day hike).

So, while I am not asking anyone to stop hiking to avoid leaving a carbon footprint, I am asking that we all try to reduce that footprint by using public transit where possible, and grouping with other hikers when we do drive.

Thank you for listening. Enjoy your hike :)

FW

JAK
05-04-2010, 00:30
Lately I have been biking to my trail and back, partly to save on gas and to leave my wife with the car. Another option for me where I live is to take the kayak and do a paddle/hike/camp/hike/paddle sort of trip. These sort of trips require leaving the bike or kayak someplace, but they can be fun to plan and execute.

DAJA
05-04-2010, 07:43
Lately I have been biking to my trail and back, partly to save on gas and to leave my wife with the car. Another option for me where I live is to take the kayak and do a paddle/hike/camp/hike/paddle sort of trip. These sort of trips require leaving the bike or kayak someplace, but they can be fun to plan and execute.

We're moving in this direction as well... Paddle to your hiking destination, do a hike and paddle home.. Adds a level of complexity, but fortunately JAK, we've been blessed by beautiful forests, rivers and the Bay of Fundy in our back yard... I feel for big city folk...

modiyooch
05-04-2010, 08:26
very few places along the AT have public transportation.
Once you finished that section of NY, what's your game plan?
My game plan, is to combine my solo trips and knock out as much as possible. Last year, I stayed a month.

Graywolf
05-04-2010, 08:50
This really stinks for us hikers who dont live close to the trail, or a trail for that matter. Here in Dallas, I do hike bike alot to save and execersie. I also ride the bike to a nearby state park that has hiking and backpacking trails. So it helps. When I come out to the AT I either bus it or take the Train, Then its a shuttle..No option of just calling hikers up and say "hey want to hike this week??" No go..

Graywolf

Pedaling Fool
05-04-2010, 08:57
My game plan, is to combine my solo trips and knock out as much as possible. Last year, I stayed a month.
This is pretty much right, if you want to section hike the AT, then that means you'll probably have to be a little less environmentally friendly than you are in your normal life, you can take some measures to mitigate your impact, but overall you'll increase your impact. A thru-hike is definitely much more environmentally friendly, unless you're one of those slackpackers.;)

If you truly want to be environmentally friendly than you must change your everyday lifestyle.

Blissful
05-04-2010, 08:58
Get a veggie oil car like my brother in law.
Just think though of all the carbons you are wearing when you do your hike - like the factories that made your gear, shoes, etc if you want to get that picky about driving your car to a trailhead. Plus the bus and trains still emit the carbon that you plan to use.

garlic08
05-04-2010, 09:35
Good for you! I'm with you on your thinking, in fact I have been for decades. I plan my hikes to reduce driving as much as possible. Like Jak, I often bicycle, sometimes many miles across town, to trailheads. I've even done it in Colorado for some overnighters. (That's another advantage of a light pack and trail runners.)

In a few minutes, I'm leaving on a 26-mile bicycle trip to Phoenix's South Mountain Park to meet a weekly hiking group. Two other members have started cycling there, too. It makes absolutely no sense to me to drive to that trailhead for a short walk. I look forward every week to the bicycle ride as much as the walk. A trip across town in a car would just leave me angry.

I've been section-hiking the Arizona Trail, in some very remote country. I've been able to plan my sections with only two private car shuttles, both within an hour from Phoenix. The rest of the time I've yogied rides with people going somewhere anyway, or taken public transport.

I met a couple day-hiking the AT in '08 with two cars, shuttling themselves every day. This was when gas prices hit $4, too. I couldn't believe the amount of resources these two people were using for their hike.

It is possible to reduce and still have a good time. Thanks for bringing this up--excellent point.

sbhikes
05-04-2010, 10:04
A long time ago I read a story in the Los Angeles Times about a guy who decided to do all his hiking from his front door, leaving the car out of the picture. It turned out he found it to be a really fun challenge and he would invent all kinds of crazy hikes to do with the idea being to see how far he could stretch himself with the logistics. He'd use public transportation most of the time. It was fun for him.

I'm with you in that it does bother me a bit that hiking requires so much driving. I spent the weekend driving to trails for the Sierra Club and probably used up a quarter tank of gas or more. Somebody once tried to organize a hike for our Sierra Club where everybody had to get to the trailhead by public transportation. I don't think it worked out very well. He never did it again.

Oddly, to hike the PCT it would actually be easy to get to the trail via public transportation, which goes to many different access points.

fw2008
05-04-2010, 10:35
My plan is to take longer and longer section hikes, building my stamina for a TH next Feb.

I plan to use public transportation for all of my section hikes. It is not feasible for me to leave my car at a th (th=trailhead; TH= Thru-Hike) for so long, and I cannot rely on a family member/friend to get me to and from the trail.

I think I should be pretty good with the NY, NJ, and CT sections, since the area is more populated and thus public transit stations are closer to the trail.
I might still need a cab to get me from the bus or train to the th, but it's still a lot less carbon than driving all the way myself.

I am beginning plans for a TH next Feb.

FW

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 10:38
tH = through hike. . . . :D

fw2008
05-04-2010, 14:39
tH = through hike. . . . :D
No, according to my code:
t=trail
h=hike
T=Through
H=hike

so, tH=trail Hike :D

Whatever; we're using XML, so we can create whatever code we want :D

fw2008
05-04-2010, 14:41
Get a veggie oil car like my brother in law.
Just think though of all the carbons you are wearing when you do your hike - like the factories that made your gear, shoes, etc if you want to get that picky about driving your car to a trailhead. Plus the bus and trains still emit the carbon that you plan to use.
How about a fart powered car!
Just eat lots of beans, and you'll get to the trail.
Of course, once on the trail, you might scare away all other hikers, and end up hiking solo all the time :D

Really though;
I think I have to come to a peaceful co-existence between what I would like to accomplish, and what I can accomplish while still maintaining my sanity :)

FW

jesse
05-04-2010, 15:14
These threads usually get shut down because they get political. I drive and don't worry about it. I'll give up my car, when algore gives up his private jet.

general
05-04-2010, 15:37
i traded my 17mpg ride for a 13mpg ride. but, now i have 400 horse power of maximum performance piercing the night. i get to the trail a whole lot quicker, thus reducing total drive time, and the wind current produced behind the jeep helps to disperse the emissions.

fw2008
05-04-2010, 18:37
These threads usually get shut down because they get political. I drive and don't worry about it. I'll give up my car, when algore gives up his private jet.
You could at least write his name properly :D
After all, the guy did win the Nobel prize!

FW

Bearpaw
05-04-2010, 20:38
I grew up without a whole lot. I learned to live with less because I had to. I recycle and make a few bucks a year from it. I still do with less, whether it be electricity or housing space or shopping sprees in general, because I'm cheap. I almost see it as making me a pretty good conservationist.

I spent the first decade of my adult life serving my country (and several other countries in the midst of joint operations) as a Marine. I've spent most of my second decade of adult life teaching, whether it be as a mountaineering instructor or a special ed teacher for inner city youth with severe behavior needs.

I am neither spoiled nor wasteful, though I DO admit I am incredibly wealthy with both opportunity and enough economic means to spend several weeks a year doing something I love, hiking.

I quit worrying about my "carbon footprint" when I realized several years ago it was essentially a guilt trip designed to market "green" items and sell greenhouse offsets, the modern equivalent of the medieval Catholic church's indulgences to win dead loved ones out of Hell or Purgatory. Except nowadays, the religion is the altar of environmental ideology and the sacrifice is our money to make us feel better when we use too much electricity or we buy a new fleece but make sure it is mostly recycled soda bottles.

FW and Dogwood, I DO applaud you for doing what you can in your own way to use less. I do so in my own way also. But I'll not buy into a guilt trip based on a "green" marketing campaign.

When I have the time to hike for a week or a month, I'll do so. If that means I drive 4-6 hours solo to get to a trailhead, I'll do so with no guilt. Whether you feel so or not, I've earned that priviledge.

prain4u
05-04-2010, 22:02
I don't deliberately make efforts to purposely increase my carbon footprint. However, I don't worry about my carbon footprint either.

I applaud those who try to decrease their carbon footprint--but I also believe that "going green" (in the way that is promoted by celebrities and the media) is often just a "feel good" philosophy that has very little real benefit to the environment--and is primarily designed to part us with vast amounts of our cash as we go out of our way to buy items which are considered more "green".

Al Gore--who is purposely called "Algore" in some circles (like "Igor" in the horror movies")--is notorious for using a vast amount of carbon-based resources (as are many of the celebrities who vocally promote a "green lifestyle"). I am not trying to make a political comment--just pointing out the hypocrisy of some of the key public figures in the "green" movement.

Going green (generally) will not harm the environment--and it sometimes might even help the environment. Thus, I support those who wish to try it--but I am not going to lose any sleep if I fail to reduce my own carbon footprint.

An example of some things that I find not worthy of losing sleep over: Many people worry about the damage done by new fire rings or by the tips of trekking poles. However, one forest fire caused by a natural lightening strike will destroy more acres of land than hikers ever will--and the loss of ground cover due to the forest fire will trigger far more erosion than trekking poles. The earth routinely and "quickly" recovers from both the forest fire and the hikers. Just remember, the Grand Canyon is simply a spectacular example of erosion at work!

David@whiteblaze
05-04-2010, 23:42
the best way to reduce your carbon footprint... How about elimination? the steps are very simple:
1. Pick up all of those carbon papers you've been saving since the 80's and throw them out... they aren't gonna make a comeback...
2. wash your shoes. Yes, I know, you've been so busy walking on you carbon papers that your shoes are black... just wash them...
3. Mop the floor barefoot (or in socks). get all of those carbon deposits off the floors...
4. wash foot (or toss sock)
5. Replace shoe...

There, your carbon footprint has been nullified...Hold on...
arrive at trail head in SUV... bla bla bla...
Oh, just pay no heed to what I said (unless you do have that kind of a carbon foot print:rolleyes:) and try just not increasing it...

fiddlehead
05-04-2010, 23:58
My motorbike gets 100 mpg.
It's the best i can do until electric cars (and wind/solar power to charge them) come down in price.
Ok, bicycle could be done but i'm not that extreme (yet)
If you must use your car or truck, check out my suggestions on ways to make it more efficient here (http://fiddlehead.wordpress.com/2008/04/05/gas-saving-tips-for-driving-your-car-or-truck/).

carolinablonde
05-05-2010, 08:04
I think it's admirable to want to reduce your carbon footprint anyway you can, but driving to a hike isn't something I'd worry about. I'd worry about what kind of vehicle I was driving, but the not the drive itself. Just think of all the carbon you are saving while out on the hike (and therefore not using carbon), especially if you remembered to turn off all your lights back home. ;)

A great way to reduce your carbon footprint is by watching what you eat. Skipping that banana you are eating would probably reduce your carbon footprint more than busing to a hike. Between the pesticides, likely sketchy farming practices, and the long plane or boat ride plus tractor trailer ride to a grocery distribution center, and then a long tractor trailer ride to your local grocer, it's a dirty little fruit. Not to single out bananas. (Disclaimer---I bought 20 of them yesterday because my kids are monkeys, but I carry guilt) To truly reduce your carbon foot print, eat local from farms with sustainable farming practices. Same goes for meat.

This is my first post, so go easy on me! :banana

modiyooch
05-05-2010, 08:33
I think it's admirable to want to reduce your carbon footprint anyway you can, but driving to a hike isn't something I'd worry about. I'd worry about what kind of vehicle I was driving, but the not the drive itself. Just think of all the carbon you are saving while out on the hike (and therefore not using carbon), especially if you remembered to turn off all your lights back home. ;)

A great way to reduce your carbon footprint is by watching what you eat. Skipping that banana you are eating would probably reduce your carbon footprint more than busing to a hike. Between the pesticides, likely sketchy farming practices, and the long plane or boat ride plus tractor trailer ride to a grocery distribution center, and then a long tractor trailer ride to your local grocer, it's a dirty little fruit. Not to single out bananas. (Disclaimer---I bought 20 of them yesterday because my kids are monkeys, but I carry guilt) To truly reduce your carbon foot print, eat local from farms with sustainable farming practices. Same goes for meat.

This is my first post, so go easy on me! :bananaI get organic bananas. I guess if your going to eat it, eat it right and then maybe that discourages the farmers using pesticides and antibiotics.

sbhikes
05-05-2010, 08:49
We can grow bananas where I live. I really want a banana tree.

modiyooch
05-05-2010, 08:57
We can grow bananas where I live. I really want a banana tree.we can't. Nor, citrus, and I need citrus. Eating strictly from local farms doesn't work for all states.

Jonnycat
05-05-2010, 09:20
/agrees with bearpaw

--------

On a trail-related note, regarding walking to the trailhead, there was a push a few years ago to establish a trail to the PCT from where I live (Eugene). I was called, appropriately, "Eugene to PCT", and some of the little badges can still be seen on a few of the approach trails nearby to the PCT.

I haven't heard anything about it, though, but I will admit that the concept of walking out my front door to the PCT would be pretty cool (except for the whole pavement thing, which would be a big no-no for my tender feet).

LimpsAlong
05-05-2010, 09:44
I quit worrying about my "carbon footprint" when I realized several years ago it was essentially a guilt trip designed to market "green" items and sell greenhouse offsets, the modern equivalent of the medieval Catholic church's indulgences to win dead loved ones out of Hell or Purgatory. Except nowadays, the religion is the altar of environmental ideology and the sacrifice is our money to make us feel better when we use too much electricity or we buy a new fleece but make sure it is mostly recycled soda bottles.
But I'll not buy into a guilt trip based on a "green" marketing campaign.

I'll do so with no guilt. Whether you feel so or not, I've earned that priviledge.

I'm with you.

fw2008
05-05-2010, 19:42
In the end, if everyone does what he or she can to conserve, recycle, and respect the environment, we will be on the right track. But the big problem is that too many people do not follow these simple guidelines.
For one thing, there is way too much waste, too much trash, and the process of replacing old, dirty energy with clean, renewable is moving at a snail's pace, at least here in the USA.

As for my taking the train to the trailhead; I also happen to love trains, and riding on them. So, I win and the environment wins.
It's going to be a nice relaxing trip all the way, not having to deal with the idiots on the highways.

When someone asks me whether I am concerned about having a bear encounter on a trail, I tell them that I'm much more afraid of having a human encounter on the highway even before I reach the trail.

FW

Connie
05-05-2010, 21:12
Interesting how the "greeners" are more "preachy" than any christian I ever ran into, and, I have lived more than half a century.

I think this thread is a disingenuous "pitch" nevertheless I will answer the OP question.

I have been combining a bicycle tour and hiking, because I purchased a folding bicycle and I found out online people use folding bicycles for bicycle touring. I am not keen on bicycling on a highway. It doesn't work for really long distances, but I am combining riding the bicycle and hiking-biking the trails for both walkers and bicycles which is a different way to get out on the trail, but Oregon, surprisingly, has a lot of those "hikes".

I need the "basecamp" vehicle to get me out further distances for my favorite hiking destinations while visiting Oregon. It is an urban environment.

I drive.

I don't pay bribes to Al Gore: I hope he is put in prison for that gigantic fraud.

He extorted a lot of money.

Oregon actually had a "liberal" court judge tell a climatologist he can't say he is a climatologist: that would be a man with credentials and a university degree in climatology. Why? He said, publically, that "global warming" is a scam.

Nevertheless, because I love the natural environment, and I do not use credit, I use the 4-cylinder "gas-miser" minivan.

And I practice "tree hugging". I actually have Tree Huggers, for my hammock.

But I seldom preach. Well, okay, Only when preached at!

I do want to say, at home there are "game trails" on and off my property I haven't explored. There are hiking trails, at walking distance, I haven't explored. I haven't walked all of the ridge, yet, and I live on the ridge.

I propose a "solution": Hike near where you live. Live near where you hike.

Jak and Daja,

I have been doing kayaking and hiking, in Montana.

New Brunswick sounds really nice.

DapperD
05-05-2010, 21:15
I think it's admirable to want to reduce your carbon footprint anyway you can, but driving to a hike isn't something I'd worry about. I'd worry about what kind of vehicle I was driving :bananaI agree with this. I mean if you really care about your carbon footprint, get an electric car or a car that gets at least 40 miles or more to the gallon. I mean if you drive all the time everywhere, then the type of vehicle you have as your daily driver will make a big difference. If you rarely drive your vehicle and it sits in the driveway for the majority of the year, then you could own a Hummer and it probably really won't matter in the overall scheme of things. Believe me, the amount of pollutants released daily is staggering. Your occasional drive to the woods most likely is not going to have much more of an adverse effect overall. If you really feel this way though, maybe move somewhere where you won't even need a car, and just walk and bike everywhere to your destination.:-?

fw2008
05-06-2010, 16:57
I agree with this. I mean if you really care about your carbon footprint, get an electric car or a car that gets at least 40 miles or more to the gallon. I mean if you drive all the time everywhere, then the type of vehicle you have as your daily driver will make a big difference. If you rarely drive your vehicle and it sits in the driveway for the majority of the year, then you could own a Hummer and it probably really won't matter in the overall scheme of things. Believe me, the amount of pollutants released daily is staggering. Your occasional drive to the woods most likely is not going to have much more of an adverse effect overall. If you really feel this way though, maybe move somewhere where you won't even need a car, and just walk and bike everywhere to your destination.:-?
I would absolutely love to move to the trail! I hate living in the suburbs of NYC.
I am coming to my senses. I think I might have been a bit too zealous early this week.

Also, I just looked at the fares for the train/bus I would have to take from home to Harriman, NY, and with the recent fare increases, it will cost me about 3X what the cost of the gasoline for my car.
That said, my car only gets 22mpg on the highway. It sucks, I know. I never would buy this car again, but I'm stuck with it for a while.

Currently, my driving is limited to a few around town errands per week, an occasional drive of about 10mi RT to the dentist or doctor (I could get one closer to home <g>), and my occasional weekend trail trips.

Like I said earlier; I'm hoping to do a thru-hike next year, so that would be my year's hiking all in one trip, and not involve my car at all.

I guess in the end, the whole effort doesn't make much sense; same as most of my life to this point :D

FW

modiyooch
05-06-2010, 17:01
I just thought it would be unrealistic once you got into states away from metro. The main thing I didn't like about NY, PA hiking was the numerous road crossings. Though, I did adore the NY delis.

Arden
05-06-2010, 17:25
Hey FW;
I'm glad to see that you're finally coming to your senses!
I've been watching this thread since the beginning, but I don't like to get involved in such threads; I always wind up getting into trouble :D

You did the math, and that's what I was going to say right out. It's not feasible from an economic standpoint. And environmentally, your contribution (or lack of, if you're talking carbon footprint) isn't going to be noticeable on the grand scale.

Now, if you drove that mileage every day, then maybe buying a monthly commuter ticket and using the train would make sense. Even though NJT fares have increased 25% on trains, they are still offering the deep discounts for monthly passes.

I guess this thread has run it's course.

Arden

njordan2
05-06-2010, 18:45
If you really love the environment and don't want to spoil it, don't go hiking.

kanga
05-06-2010, 19:40
or you could go and just not leave your trash

fw2008
05-06-2010, 20:07
or you could go and just not leave your trash
Leave my trash? Is that supposed to be a joke?
I never, ever leave trash on the trail, or at a trailhead. I've even packed in some other hikers' trash. I usually take an extra garbage bag for that purpose.

FW

Miner
05-06-2010, 20:25
If I promise to cut back on the beans when backpacking and thus reducing my methane emissions, can I still drive my SUV to the trailhead? My local bus driver has this thing against driving 30miles off his regular route and having to drive up washboarded dirt roads.

kanga
05-06-2010, 20:57
Leave my trash? Is that supposed to be a joke?
I never, ever leave trash on the trail, or at a trailhead. I've even packed in some other hikers' trash. I usually take an extra garbage bag for that purpose.

FW
jesus, i was responding to njordan. it's not all about you.

fw2008
05-06-2010, 23:22
jesus, i was responding to njordan. it's not all about you.
I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to sound angry, or accusing. I have been under a lot of stress this week, and am on edge.
I need a few days, or maybe longer on the trail to clear my head.

FW

Bearpaw
05-06-2010, 23:26
I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to sound angry, or accusing. I have been under a lot of stress this week, and am on edge.
I need a few days, or maybe longer on the trail to clear my head.

FW

Trails have helped me even out the darkest chapters of my life. They are the best medicine I know. Have a great time when you get out there!

sheepdog
05-08-2010, 00:49
you da man

oh the angst and anxiety