PDA

View Full Version : Get it right dagnabit!!!!

Spokes
05-04-2010, 09:07
....... It's called a THRU HIKE.............. not a THROUGH HIKE!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the pet peeve rant but I feel much better now.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 09:09
yawn . . . . . . .

Dobie Swift
05-04-2010, 09:33
Hmmm.... I always thought it was Threw Hike. Go figure.

rhjanes
05-04-2010, 09:38
I thought you said it was pronounced "Advance...North"???

Loved your journal. Still have it bookmarked.

brooklynkayak
05-04-2010, 09:42
Who cares? I understand what they mean and so do you. It isn't English class.
It doesn't matter on this forum. Best to keep grammar/english corrections to a forum where people care about that kind of stuff.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 09:44
It doesn't matter on this forum. Best to keep grammar/english corrections to a forum where people care about that kind of stuff.
Well said. . . I definitely need to go hike. . . I might even do a through hike. . . .

Ender
05-04-2010, 09:53
HYOH... unless you call it a through hike, and then *you're doing it wrong*... :rolleyes:

Call it whatever you want... it's just a stupid label for hiking for a long time anyway.

Nean
05-04-2010, 09:54
In all fairness to the OP there was a time when most hikers used thru while most packsniffers used through.:)

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 09:56
In all fairness to the OP there was a time when most hikers used thru while most packsniffers used through.:)
Well how much heavier could three extra letters really be? . . . :D

brooklynkayak
05-04-2010, 10:00
P.S. I was thinking of doing a thorough hike next year or is that a threw-hike?.
Wish me luck:-)

Ender
05-04-2010, 10:01
In German, there is no "th" sound... so for them it's a True-Hike.

white_russian
05-04-2010, 10:19
But if this was english class the OP would be wrong anyway.

Bearpaw
05-04-2010, 10:23
But if this was english class the OP would be wrong anyway.

"English" should be capitalized, and you're using the subjunctive case, so it should be "...if this were English class..."

Just saying. :banana

TheKO
05-04-2010, 10:24
My pet peeve is people coming into a forum and complaining about grammer and spelling.

You know people who write sentences and putting "........" in the middle of them and then bolding and underlining words for no apparent reason and then incorrectly putting colons at then end of the sentence (and them complain the wrong spelling of a word).

sidebackside
05-04-2010, 11:11
"English" should be capitalized, and you're using the subjunctive case, so it should be "...if this were English class..."

Just saying. :banana

Nice Bearpaw!

kayak karl
05-04-2010, 11:41
. Get it right dagnabit!!!!
EVEN BATMAN KNOWS..........

Robin: "Golly Gee Willikers, You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
Batman: "Easily."
Robin: "Easily."
Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
Robin: "Thank you."
Batman: "You're welcome."

Press
05-04-2010, 11:45
Does that mean you eat donuts not doughnuts?

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 11:47
Apparently doughnuts are for packsniffers. . . :rolleyes:

Donuts are for through-hikers. . . .

woopsie. . . i mean thru. . . .

not. . .

:p

saimyoji
05-04-2010, 12:24
you guys keep this up and camojack is gonna make an appearance....:D

Bilko
05-04-2010, 12:39
Spokes, relax a little. Thru is a word that can be used as a preposition, adverb or adjective. Thru is an informal, simplified spelling of THROUGH.

Spokes
05-04-2010, 15:43

Yeah, might as well call it secksion hiking too.............

Ender
05-04-2010, 15:46
Yeah, might as well call it secksion hiking too.............

Except... that's a misspelling of the word "section"... where "thru" is actually a misspelling of the word "through" (that granted, has become a recognized shortening of the word).

Spokes
05-04-2010, 15:47
I thought you said it was pronounced "Advance...North"???

Loved your journal. Still have it bookmarked.

hehehehehehe........... Thanks!

Miner
05-04-2010, 15:52
Thats the first time I've seen someone get so worked up over people using correct spelling. Usually its the other way around.

Roland
05-04-2010, 17:33
Spokes,

If this was your greatest concern of the day, you've got an easy life. Consider yourself blessed.

Spokes
05-04-2010, 17:37
spokes,

if this was your greatest concern of the day, you've got an easy life. Consider yourself blessed.

bada bing!

Pedaling Fool
05-04-2010, 17:49
After long deliberation, I've decided that I don't like mayonnaise in the squeeze bottle - I always squeeze out too much.

Spokes
05-04-2010, 17:53
After long deliberation, I've decided that I don't like mayonnaise in the squeeze bottle - I always squeeze out too much.

Hmmm, a banana and mayonnaise sandwich- YUM!

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 18:44
Hmmm, a banana and mayonnaise sandwich- YUM!
Ummmm . . . . . hmmmmm . . . . sure you wanna stick with that thought. . . . ?

Graywolf
05-04-2010, 18:51
Who gives a hiking damn how it's spelt.....I just wanna go for a LONG HIKE, thats all...

Graywolf

JRiker
05-04-2010, 19:08
after long deliberation, i've decided the best post was john gault's attempted forum hi-jack.

who is john gault, anyways?

maddawgg
05-04-2010, 19:47
What actually constitutes a (choose your spelling!) thru-through hike? Let me make it clear, I've never set foot on the AT so I am not being a smart ass trying to stir the pot. This is something I have been thinking about since reading the trail journals. Is there disdain amongst the hikers who come off the trail only out of necessity for people who come off the trail for days at a time and sometimes longer. Are these hikers considered thru hikers or straight line section hikers? I hike locally (MST) and I am considering a 2011 AT thru hike. The reason I am asking is that if I do it I want to get it right. Are there any unwritten rules or guidelines that spell out what is required to claim a thru hike other than start in Georgia and finish in Maine?

Just curious!

Blissful
05-04-2010, 19:51
Usually a "thru hike" constitutes doing the entire length of the trail in one calendar year. As long as you do the whole thing. Doesn't matter where you start or end, if you take time off in the middle, etc.

I think the actual reward goes to section hikers. A LOT tougher than a thru.

But in the end, no one will really care if you did it all or part, in all honesty. In only matters to you personally and what you get out of it individually.

Wish I could tell that to the thrus now who are busting their butts doing 25-30 miles days in VA and seeing nothing. They are running down the trail. Crazy stuff.

DocHolliday
05-04-2010, 21:50
Maybe busting their asses IS what they want out of it?

Having the fortitude to move forward through pain, that's it's own type of fulfillment.

Cookerhiker
05-04-2010, 22:06
Don't care about thruhike or thru-hike or thru hike or through or donuts or doughnuts. But no problem with the OP's rant. We all have our nitpicks.

Mine is the section in Northern Virginia between Waynesboro and Front Royal. It's not "the Shenandoahs" The only place name by that term for a mountain is Shenandoah Mountain which is not on the AT but west of I-81 on the WV border. The AT goes through Shenandoah National Park. The park's name is a misnomer. In most of the park, you don't see the Shenandoah River and I don't believe it even borders the Park. The Park is not in the Shenandoah Valley, it's in the Blue Ridge Mountains which is what the Park should be called: Blue Ridge Mountains National Park.

But when you refer to "the Shenandoahs," I know where you mean.;)

prain4u
05-04-2010, 22:13
I just threw up, so I am through debating thru hiking. True!

vonfrick
05-04-2010, 22:17
What actually constitutes a (choose your spelling!) thru-through hike? Let me make it clear, I've never set foot on the AT so I am not being a smart ass trying to stir the pot. This is something I have been thinking about since reading the trail journals. Is there disdain amongst the hikers who come off the trail only out of necessity for people who come off the trail for days at a time and sometimes longer. Are these hikers considered thru hikers or straight line section hikers? I hike locally (MST) and I am considering a 2011 AT thru hike. The reason I am asking is that if I do it I want to get it right. Are there any unwritten rules or guidelines that spell out what is required to claim a thru hike other than start in Georgia and finish in Maine?

Just curious!

well you could, i suppose start in maine and end in georgia...but what kinda nutbag would do that?

Tinker
05-04-2010, 22:24
Around my neck of the woods, most folks like to add an "n" to Kankamagus (the highway in NH).
Some things aren't worth fixin'.
The highest hill in the Greater Providence area is Neutakonkanut. Locals call it Neutakonakut. It's easier to say, apparantly.
Some folks in my city, Warwick pronounce it Warrick (as do many folks from England).
Come to think of it, many things my fellow New Englanders get laughed at because of the way they are pronounced are closer to the way the English (you know, the folks who INVENTED the language) say it.
We pahk our cahs, just like the English (but we don't have that classy accent ;)).

Mags
05-04-2010, 22:29
Maybe busting their asses IS what they want out of it?

Having the fortitude to move forward through pain, that's it's own type of fulfillment.

..or for people in shape with a ligh tpack who enjoy walking all day, 25MPD is actually enjoyable.

But what do I know... :D

I am under the mistaken impression that there is more than one way to hike and enjoy trail. I should read this tract (http://www.pmags.com/joomla1516/index.php/ramblings/22-outdoor-writings/136-hike-my-hike-damn-it)and I'd know better... :D

Jester2000
05-05-2010, 02:45
Here's the definitive answer on "thru-hiking":

Most of us use "thru" instead of "through" because if you get rid of the "o," "g," and "h" your pack is lighter. Even if you decide you don't like "thru," I would at least recommend dropping the "g," as they are notoriously heavy. Everything you might use a "g" for (and I'm thinking pounding in tent stakes, or using a bandana over the hole to pre-filter water) can be accomplished with either the "o" or the "h." So it would be a throuh hike, unless you feel you can get by with just one "h." Experienced hikers can, but don't get yourself into trouble over a little bit of weight.

Now of course we're going to get into an argument with those who say that the "g" can do everything the "o" and the "h" can do, and so it would be better to thrug hike, but that sounds so ugly.

UL folks lately have been trug hiking, but they eventually annoy everyone around them by constantly asking to borrow other hikers' "h," and trust me, you don't want to be that kind of hiker.

So basically though, you know -- HYOH, unless you feel you can get by with a HYO attitude.

And for the record, it's "dagnabbit," NOT "dagnabit," dagnabbit!!!!

Nean
05-05-2010, 03:53
..or for people in shape with a ligh tpack who enjoy walking all day, 25MPD is actually enjoyable.

But what do I know... :D

I am under the mistaken impression that there is more than one way to hike and enjoy trail. I should read this tract (http://www.pmags.com/joomla1516/index.php/ramblings/22-outdoor-writings/136-hike-my-hike-damn-it)and I'd know better... :D

Define ligh tpack!:D

Nean
05-05-2010, 03:54
Around my neck of the woods, most folks like to add an "n" to Kankamagus (the highway in NH).
Some things aren't worth fixin'.
The highest hill in the Greater Providence area is Neutakonkanut. Locals call it Neutakonakut. It's easier to say, apparantly.
Some folks in my city, Warwick pronounce it Warrick (as do many folks from England).
Come to think of it, many things my fellow New Englanders get laughed at because of the way they are pronounced are closer to the way the English (you know, the folks who INVENTED the language) say it.
We pahk our cahs, just like the English (but we don't have that classy accent ;)).

and some people call Neel Gap.... Neels Gap!;)

Nean
05-05-2010, 04:04
I think the actual reward goes to section hikers. A LOT tougher than a thru.

Wish I could tell that to the thrus now who are busting their butts doing 25-30 miles days in VA and seeing nothing. They are running down the trail. Crazy stuff.

These opinions are not based on experience....but it's a nice thought.;):)

Nean
05-05-2010, 04:09
u hickers dee-rive me cRaZy- yee:)

jrwiesz
05-05-2010, 04:34
Define ligh tpack!:D

It's the pack right after - ligh spack!

At least according to Websters'. :sun

Spokes
05-05-2010, 07:02
Here's the definitive answer on "thru-hiking":

And for the record, it's "dagnabbit," NOT "dagnabit," dagnabbit!!!!

You ever carried an extra "b" around? It's bad weight I tell ya!

DavidNH
05-05-2010, 07:32

Sorry for the pet peeve rant but I feel much better now.

And you should bother posting this because?

You have way too much time on your hands. Go out and hike and clear your mind.

bus
05-05-2010, 07:59
Besides it dadgummit, not dagnabit :)

TOW
05-05-2010, 08:12

Sorry for the pet peeve rant but I feel much better now.depends on how you look at it.......

10-K
05-05-2010, 08:12
I'm reading "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" Vol 1 right now and hiking the trail from end to end is referred to as a "through hike" in several places from hikers in the pre-1970 era (as far as I've read).

I agree with the others that either is correct and that "thru" is just an adaptation of "through".

In short, nothing to get in a twit about.

Blue Jay
05-05-2010, 08:20

Just curious!

The most important thing is to think up a weird rule when you start, such as you must hike with a bozo nose on your face at all times while actually walking. Then tell everyone that they are doing it wrong if they do not have a bozo nose. You can cut people with actual bozo noses some slack.

modiyooch
05-05-2010, 08:25
My pet peeve is people coming into a forum and complaining about grammer and spelling.

You know people who write sentences and putting "........" in the middle of them and then bolding and underlining words for no apparent reason and then incorrectly putting colons at then end of the sentence (and them complain the wrong spelling of a word).it's grammar

modiyooch
05-05-2010, 08:26

Sorry for the pet peeve rant but I feel much better now.and it's HIKING, not Hikeing.

modiyooch
05-05-2010, 08:28
and some people call Neel Gap.... Neels Gap!;)I thought he owned it; therefore, it would be Neel's. :)

maddawgg
05-05-2010, 08:29
well you could, i suppose start in maine and end in georgia...but what kinda nutbag would do that?

My apologies to the southbounders! No offense intended :o

maddawgg
05-05-2010, 08:35
The most important thing is to think up a weird rule when you start, such as you must hike with a bozo nose on your face at all times while actually walking. Then tell everyone that they are doing it wrong if they do not have a bozo nose. You can cut people with actual bozo noses some slack.

Have you seen the prices of bozo noses lately? Outrageous!

Nean
05-05-2010, 12:03
I thought he owned it; therefore, it would be Neel's. :)

No, that would be Neels' Gap- which is what lotsa folk call Neel Gap.;)

Gray Blazer
05-05-2010, 12:12
So are you a throughbee or a thrubee?

I think Frank Sinatra sang it best ... Thrubee doobie doo.

Is it Scoobiedoo or Scoughbeedoo?

Spokes
05-05-2010, 12:15
And you should bother posting this because?

Ahhh, because I wanted to hear your response?

Spokes
05-05-2010, 12:22
it's grammar

bada-bing!

David@whiteblaze
05-05-2010, 12:23
So are you a throughbee or a thrubee?

I think Frank Sinatra sang it best ... Thrubee doobie doo.

Is it Scoobiedoo or Scoughbeedoo?
I always thought the people who hadn't thru-ed on Wb are referred to as a noobie***

*** As the adaptation of gamer and texter and im-er have changed the term, I don't need another controversy on this thread, I will list the adaptations:
1. Original: Newbie
2. adaptation for slang purposes: Noobie
3. adaptation: Nooby
4. adaptation for reason of embarrasment: Noob
5. adaptation of my brother and his ridiculous friend: nub
6. (controversial code word adaptation): bub (I have been reffered to as noob and nub, but suddenly became bub... :-?)

Alternate seniors adaptation:
2. adaptation: Newby
3. adaptation: Newb
4. possiblility of seniors catching on: Noob

now powned is wvery simple reasoning:
it started as:
1. Own
2. slippage of fingers made it: pwn
3. adaptation has left fragmented forms of: Pwn Pwned Pown Powned pon poned... etc.

Gray Blazer
05-05-2010, 12:26
I always thought the people who hadn't thru-ed on Wb are referred to as a noobie***

*** As the adaptation of gamer and texter and im-er have changed the term, I don't need another controversy on this thread, I will list the adaptations:
6. (controversial code word adaptation): bub (I have been reffered to as noob and nub, but suddenly became bub... :-?)

How bout bewb as in "nice bewbys"

sidebackside
05-05-2010, 12:28

now powned is wvery simple reasoning:
it started as:
1. Own
2. slippage of fingers made it: pwn
3. adaptation has left fragmented forms of: Pwn Pwned Pown Powned pon poned... etc.

Hmmm....:-?

Spokes
05-05-2010, 12:29

Weren't they "the twins" that thru hiked several years ago?

ShoelessWanderer
05-05-2010, 13:42
Did I randomly stumble into the Humor section and not notice? Cause this is an absolutly hilarious thread.

Hobbler
05-05-2010, 14:51
After following Spokes on his journal from late March to his summit in Maine last year, and been aware of his hiking prowess, I have come to agree that he might just be messing with everyone in his own way to get a rise and stir up some S#*T. He has certainly succeeded in that regard and I hope that he is enjoying himself. Thanks for the entertainment Spokes!

Old Hiker
05-05-2010, 15:14

Or "bowb" as in "It's ALWAYS bowb-yer-buddy" week.

Old Hiker
05-05-2010, 15:15

I thought the "Slightly Off Topic" thread was elsewhere.

David@whiteblaze
05-05-2010, 15:25
but the realquestion is whether cream cheese is an actual cheese...

vonfrick
05-05-2010, 17:26

hahahahahaha

i'm seriously waiting for matthewski (or is it matthruski???) to weigh in on these important matters...i'm sure he'll know the correct spelling

TheKO
05-05-2010, 18:38
Actually , I thought it was cute that I was correcting anyone on grammar or spelling...
You never saw my English grades!

jrwiesz
05-06-2010, 03:19
Actually , I thought it was cute that I was correcting anyone on grammar or spelling...
You never saw my English grades!

You have never seen my English grades. :sun

warraghiyagey
05-06-2010, 07:52
hahahahahaha

i'm seriously waiting for matthewski (or is it matthruski???) to weigh in on these important matters...i'm sure he'll know the correct spelling
It's Matthroughski. . .

Pedaling Fool
05-06-2010, 09:21
I'm sorry for the thread drift on such an important topic.

My pet peeve is the spelling of Sean why do people do that? Don't they know when you pronounce it, it sounds like Seen? Unless of course you know the secret pronounciation.

The correct spelling is Shawn. Why can't people get it right:mad:

Gray Blazer
05-06-2010, 09:39

Yeah,they were the ones with the nice puppies (or poughpies, if you will)

;) You don't think people are getting our secret code, do you?

Jester2000
05-06-2010, 11:34

My pet peeve is the spelling of Sean why do people do that? Don't they know when you pronounce it, it sounds like Seen? Unless of course you know the secret pronounciation.

Spoken like a drunken Englishman.

For the record, some people (in Northern Ireland) also pronounce it "Shane."

-- Sean Cronan Colm O'Domhnaill

David@whiteblaze
05-06-2010, 15:54

I think I got it from the beginning;)

warraghiyagey
05-06-2010, 20:14

Ignorance of Gaelic history might be plagueing you. . . . If you ever say the name Siobhuan. . . . it is pronounced ( so that you can keep up ) Shavawn . . . . it's a girls name. . . and like the Gaelic language, it's beautiful. . . .

Jester2000
05-06-2010, 23:27
Ignorance of Gaelic history might be plagueing you. . . . If you ever say the name Siobhuan. . . . it is pronounced ( so that you can keep up ) Shavawn . . . . it's a girls name. . . and like the Gaelic language, it's beautiful. . . .

In my family we spell that name "Siobhan," and I've also seen it with two 'n's. If anyone wants to guess how to pronounce my brother Eogan's name, have at it.

Sometimes I think that like Welsh, Gaelic was invented to confuse the English, so it shouldn't be surprising if John Gault is also confused.

Spokes
05-06-2010, 23:54

You mean pupsicles! It was cold last year!

prain4u
05-07-2010, 01:13
If anyone wants to guess how to pronounce my brother Eogan's name, have at it.

Like Ian? (ee-en)

Pedaling Fool
05-07-2010, 09:19

In my family we spell that name "Siobhan," and I've also seen it with two 'n's. If anyone wants to guess how to pronounce my brother Eogan's name, have at it.

Sometimes I think that like Welsh, Gaelic was invented to confuse the English, so it shouldn't be surprising if John Gault is also confused.
This is the new world, maybe you'll need to move back to the old world and live the traditional life and speak your beautiful language:)

Spokes
05-07-2010, 09:22
This is the new world, maybe you'll need to move back to the old world and live the traditional life and speak your beautiful language:)

I love a good Renaissance Festival!

Jester2000
05-07-2010, 11:38
Like Ian? (ee-en)

Nope. Good guess, though.

Moving "back" would be difficult for me, as I never lived there to begin with . . . but I do go back occasionally to visit my Father. One thing of note : Irish Gaelic isn't spoken by very many people, mainly because another group of people once took over that island and forced the people there to spell and pronounce things "correctly."

It's the reason why my last name is now spelled "O'Donnell" instead of "O'Domhnaill."

But you're right -- the language is beautiful. And strange and confusing. It's starting to make a comeback.

Cookerhiker
05-07-2010, 12:29
Signs in the Gaeltract area - Western Ireland and the islands - are bilingual. I've been in pubs where the only language I heard was Irish (as they prefer to call their native language instead of Gaelic). There are a number of Irish first names and surnames among young as well as old. On our trip in '07, we met 2 Duirmonds, 1 old & 1 young.

And the music....ah. Last weekend was the Cup of Tae festival (http://www.cupoftaefestival.com/)in Ardara which I happened upon last year. All the vocals were Irish language, vey beautiful indeed.

Ender
05-07-2010, 12:34
Nope. Good guess, though.

Like, Owen?

Jester2000
05-07-2010, 17:40
Like, Owen?

We have a winner! If you see me in person I'll explain the incredibly convoluted explanation of why "Eogan" is pronounced "Owen," and you'll understand why Gaelic is considered one of the hardest languages to learn if you're not a native speaker. Seriously. It's nuts.

Signs in the Gaeltract area - Western Ireland and the islands - are bilingual. I've been in pubs where the only language I heard was Irish (as they prefer to call their native language instead of Gaelic). There are a number of Irish first names and surnames among young as well as old. On our trip in '07, we met 2 Duirmonds, 1 old & 1 young.

And the music....ah. Last weekend was the Cup of Tae festival (http://www.cupoftaefestival.com/)in Ardara which I happend upon last year. All the vocals were Irish language, vey beautiful indeed.

I've driven through the Gaeltacht (where all of my Irish cousins were sent in the summertime to learn the language) and seen signs that were ONLY in Gaelic. And then you take out your English language map and try to match things up. Very confusing. Great people, and great music.

prain4u
05-07-2010, 22:57
We have a winner! If you see me in person I'll explain the incredibly convoluted explanation of why "Eogan" is pronounced "Owen," and you'll understand why Gaelic is considered one of the hardest languages to learn if you're not a native speaker. Seriously. It's nuts.

I've driven through the Gaeltacht (where all of my Irish cousins were sent in the summertime to learn the language) and seen signs that were ONLY in Gaelic. And then you take out your English language map and try to match things up. Very confusing. Great people, and great music.

I have lived around U.S. people of Welsh heritage and attended Welsh-language worship services, hymnsings and holiday celebrations. The Welsh spellings and pronunciations are absolutely crazy and are almost all consonants! (To quote the television show WHEEL OF FORTUNE: "Can I buy a vowel?". Conversely, Gaelic has almost TOO MANY vowels per word!).

Here are a couple examples of Welsh:

Dw i'n byw yng Nghymru (http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/welsh/iliveinwales_cy.mp3)= Which means "I live in Wales"

Wnewch chi ysgrifennu hynna, os gwelwch yn dda? (http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/welsh/pleasewrite_cy.mp3) Which means "Please write it down"
(http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/welsh/pleasewrite_cy.mp3)

Jester2000
05-08-2010, 03:16
Welsh has way more Ls and Ys than any one language should have.

warraghiyagey
05-08-2010, 09:37
Lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here . . . .

fw2008
05-08-2010, 10:15
This reminds of my dad correcting me when I use the wrong words, like "Who" or "Whom".

I am usually correct, but when not, he catches me.

That said; when I do mine, it's going to be a Thru-Hike. :D

FW