PDA

View Full Version : Thai Chicken Wraps

BlueTang
05-04-2010, 10:16
Description

If you're reading this recipe you'll have noticed that we have alot of "Thai" recipes listed on our website. We tend to eat a great deal of Asian inspired food and have discovered that for the trail, it is easily one of our favorites. The tastes are never boring! Besides, it's always an interesting reaction hearing what your camp or sheltermates say when they smell your delicious delights emanating from your cook pot.

This recipe was designated a lunch/snack recipe due to it's simpleness but of course can be used for a dinner as well.
Ingredients

1/2 C. Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 C. of Prepared Pad Thai sauce (easily found in most grocery stores)
1 Bunch of Green Onion
4 Large Tortillas, Wraps, or Flatbreads
1 Pkg - 7 Ounces of Tyson Chicken (or two 5 ounce cans)
Leaf or Romaine Lettuce (We suggest Romaine. It's much stiffer and will hold up well in a pack for a day or two as long as it does not get overheated)

Home Preparation

Package the above ingredients using whatever method suits you
Trail Preparation

In your cookpot (we suggest using hard anodized aluminum for its non stick properties) stir together the peanut butter, chopped green onions and pad thai sauce. Cook over medium heat stirring until sauce is mixed completely and warm. Do not overcook!

Layout a Tortilla or Wrap, top with lettuce, chicken and onions. Sauce over the top and then wrap burrito style.
Notes

You may also consider saucing the wrap first, then other ingredients but we find personally that having the sauce on the chicken imparts a better flavor.

beakerman
05-04-2010, 11:42
I'll have to try this for lunch this week. Thanks

fiddlehead
05-04-2010, 12:06
YOu might also want to try substituting satay sauce instead of pad thai sauce in that recipe too.

And many Thai recipes have coconut milk in them (southern Thai meals anyway)
Powdered coconut milk or cream is pretty easy to find at Asian supermarkets in the states and is very tasty and hardy (good fat).

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread but i too eat a bunch of Thai food on the trail although i sometimes substitute noodles instead of rice as i seem to get more carbs (filling) out of the noodles.

BlueTang
05-04-2010, 13:27
YOu might also want to try substituting satay sauce instead of pad thai sauce in that recipe too.

And many Thai recipes have coconut milk in them (southern Thai meals anyway)
Powdered coconut milk or cream is pretty easy to find at Asian supermarkets in the states and is very tasty and hardy (good fat).

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread but i too eat a bunch of Thai food on the trail although i sometimes substitute noodles instead of rice as i seem to get more carbs (filling) out of the noodles.

Hi Fiddlehead. If you look on our website you will see quite a few different Thai inspired recipes. One we have not posted yet is a from scratch Peanut Sauce. Truth is, if I had my druthers that is what I would use for this recipe in a perfect world, but its use is not for everyone on the trail.

What I was trying to do was impart a different flavor that would be suitable for a wrap and allow the recipe to be "easy". I tried it several different ways and the Pad Thai mixed with peanut butter had a better flavor than the already peanut flavored Satay sauces. (Need the Peanut butter to thicken it for a wrap) In either case, you still get a creamy, spicy and delicately sour flavor that is distinctly Thai inspired.

We've used the Coconut Creme powder very successfully as a substitute over Coconut milk and it's a good tip. Several of our "easy" recipes on the website specify Coconut Creme powder.

Thanks for your insights. We too like Rice Noodles every so often as opposed to rice. These recipes and the website are a hobby endeavor and as time goes by I hope to get some of our more success noddle recipes posted.

Thanks! :)

Loneoak
05-04-2010, 16:47
I like the recipe for the granola bars also

BlueTang
05-04-2010, 19:42
Thank you very much Loneoak. They are pretty versatile and they taste great.

TIDE-HSV
05-08-2010, 15:30
Hi Fiddlehead. If you look on our website you will see quite a few different Thai inspired recipes. One we have not posted yet is a from scratch Peanut Sauce. Truth is, if I had my druthers that is what I would use for this recipe in a perfect world, but its use is not for everyone on the trail.

What I was trying to do was impart a different flavor that would be suitable for a wrap and allow the recipe to be "easy". I tried it several different ways and the Pad Thai mixed with peanut butter had a better flavor than the already peanut flavored Satay sauces. (Need the Peanut butter to thicken it for a wrap) In either case, you still get a creamy, spicy and delicately sour flavor that is distinctly Thai inspired.

We've used the Coconut Creme powder very successfully as a substitute over Coconut milk and it's a good tip. Several of our "easy" recipes on the website specify Coconut Creme powder.

Thanks for your insights. We too like Rice Noodles every so often as opposed to rice. These recipes and the website are a hobby endeavor and as time goes by I hope to get some of our more success noddle recipes posted.

Thanks! :)

We tried it for lunch today (home, not on the trail, but looking forward towards the trail). After this sample, we added some soy sauce and Sriracha sauce from Huy Fong Fods, Inc., to cut the sweetness a bit...

Dogwood
05-08-2010, 16:04
Blue Tang, great recipe for those Thai chicken wraps. I will try them for something different. BTW, are you related to any of the Blue Tang Thai/Asian restaurants I've seen?

BlueTang
05-09-2010, 23:21
We tried it for lunch today (home, not on the trail, but looking forward towards the trail). After this sample, we added some soy sauce and Sriracha sauce from Huy Fong Fods, Inc., to cut the sweetness a bit...

Truthfully I am sort of surprised you found it sweet. I know there is some sweetner added to commercial peanut butter but I didn't think it was enough to really stand out against the Pad Thai. I would think you could probably use natural peanut butter to kill any sweet taste you might have.

We use Chili Garlic sauce from Sriracha. Good stuff!

Blue Tang, great recipe for those Thai chicken wraps. I will try them for something different. BTW, are you related to any of the Blue Tang Thai/Asian restaurants I've seen?

Nope. I'm related to RollingStone though. He's my dad and makes some killer Asian food! ;) Hope you do try them. They are an interesting taste.

TIDE-HSV
05-09-2010, 23:32
We only use natural peanut butter and the prepared "Thai Kitchen" Pad Thai sauce is a little sweet also. In fact, I just went to the fridge to look at the brand, and my fingers are a bit sticky from the jar. Maybe we should try another brand of the Pad Thai sauce...

BlueTang
05-11-2010, 23:27
I didn't think about it before but most Pad Thai's made from scratch call for brown sugar so I would expect that commercial sauces will be similar. You could probably try making one from scratch without the brown sugar.

TIDE-HSV
05-12-2010, 00:21
As long as we cut it with the hot sauce and extra garlic, I don't really notice the sweetness, so we'll probably just continue that. It's all good, anyway...