PDA

View Full Version : thru hike GSMNP in June

jpwvu
05-04-2010, 17:06
Two of us plan on hiking through the gsmnp the 1st week of June. I just spoke with the reservation service and they said if we cant get permits we would need to replan the trip. Is it really that strict? Could we not hike without reservations and just camp wherever. We plan to take bivys so we could pretty much stay anywhere.

sidebackside
05-04-2010, 17:23
Two of us plan on hiking through the gsmnp the 1st week of June. I just spoke with the reservation service and they said if we cant get permits we would need to replan the trip. Is it really that strict? Could we not hike without reservations and just camp wherever. We plan to take bivys so we could pretty much stay anywhere.

Yes. It is that strict.Camping is only allowed at designated sites. When hiking through the Smokies you must have reservations. Unless you stay at a backcountry (tent) campsite. Even some of those require reservations. The only way you can tent/hang at a backcountry shelter is if you're considered a "thru-hiker". Which is starting 50miles before the Smokies, and going 50 miles past the Smokies. Bummer...I know. It is what it is though. You can make reservations up to a month in advance of your first nite out. Shouldn't be a problem getting them if you call that early.

liteweight
05-04-2010, 21:05
You can make reservations up to a month in advance of your first nite out. Shouldn't be a problem getting them if you call that early.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! you should not have a problem. As soon as your thirty days out call the backcountry office and ya'll be fine.

generoll
05-05-2010, 07:14
take the BMT through the Smokies. You'll still have to make reservations, but those campsites are rarely used and you'll see a whole different part of the park.