PDA

View Full Version : Well, I did it!!!

Graywolf
05-04-2010, 18:44
Went to REI to look at the Hennesey Hammocks, but they were out for the time being, waitig on a shipment to come in..SOOOO....Went over to look at packs and wanted to compare the Golite Odyssey with the Deuter 65 +10 Lite, and I tell you..I love this Deuter Pack, I have looked at it, discussed here on WB about the pack, read the reviews. This time I loaded the pack up with 30 pounds of sandbags and rock filled water bottles and walked around the store, climbed the stairs, I almost wanted to try the Rock Wall, but thought that too extreme for a test..WoW!!! This pack is GREAT!!! With my 6+ pound kelty pack that failed last year, this pack is amazing..I have gone over it, and over it, at the store and since I have been home..yeppers,, This is the pack for this years hike...Oh yes, My trip last year failed because of my war-torn veteran..Not this year baby..I'm taking the trip as far as I can take it..August, here I come..

Graywolf

LIhikers
05-04-2010, 19:17
I hope you and your new pack have many good miles together!

Mountain Wildman
05-04-2010, 19:17
Good Luck with it Graywolf, I did a lot of research on Deuter and read nothing but good, Almost went with Deuter until I heard about Mystery Ranch.
Happy Hiking!!!

Thruorbust
05-04-2010, 21:30
I just bought a Deuter Lite 65+10 for my thru coming up too! Can't wait!

Graywolf
05-04-2010, 21:59
I just bought a Deuter Lite 65+10 for my thru coming up too! Can't wait!

Just got back from a hike with the new pack, with all the gear I took last year..I had to go through it again, just to see if i forgot something..WAYYYYY,, light..Love it!!!

DocHolliday
05-04-2010, 22:23
Good Luck with it Graywolf, I did a lot of research on Deuter and read nothing but good, Almost went with Deuter until I heard about Mystery Ranch.
Happy Hiking!!!

That's what I ended up going with because of the ultra-enticing futura harness.

Hows it working out for ya?

P.S Graywolf glad to see your happy with your purchase:D

trailangelbronco
05-04-2010, 22:26
I have the 65+10 and love it. Does everything that i want and is very comfy.

Enjoy!!

Mountain Wildman
05-04-2010, 22:37
That's what I ended up going with because of the ultra-enticing futura harness.

Hows it working out for ya?

P.S Graywolf glad to see your happy with your purchase:D

I bought the Trance XXX, It is a simple but awesome pack, Perfect for my Thru next year, I have had 48 pounds in it ( I have it down to around 35 now) and it feels great, extremely comfortable, The superior craftmanship is apparent and I know for sure that it wont let me down on my Thru Hike.
The Futura harness is so cool, Adjustment is easy and feels like the bag was made just for me. But I guess if you bought M.R. you know all this.
Are you happy with yours? Which model did you get?

DocHolliday
05-05-2010, 10:47
I bought the Trance XXX, It is a simple but awesome pack, Perfect for my Thru next year, I have had 48 pounds in it ( I have it down to around 35 now) and it feels great, extremely comfortable, The superior craftmanship is apparent and I know for sure that it wont let me down on my Thru Hike.
The Futura harness is so cool, Adjustment is easy and feels like the bag was made just for me. But I guess if you bought M.R. you know all this.
Are you happy with yours? Which model did you get?

The pack is actually a Camelbak TriZip (made by MR) that I gutted of all the frills. It is the same design as the 3 day assault pack, except it weighs 1lb less, and holds 500 cu/in more.

I live in the middle east right now, so it's not exactly getting much action, but I'm moving back to the southern California, and hope to take a couple trips to the Sierras soon.

I can tell you it carries beer well over long distances! It's had extensive testing! :D

Spokes
05-05-2010, 12:26
I've heard good things about Deuter packs and always wanted to try one out but was afraid I'd start talking in a German accent. Keep us posted on how it goes!

double d
05-05-2010, 12:43
Congrats Graywolf-gotta love REI!!!

JaxHiker
05-07-2010, 11:08
I bought the Deuter last year and love it. It was between that and a Gregory Z65 (I think). I really love the Deuter. It's an awesome pack!

bdpalace
05-07-2010, 11:32
I bought my son the Deuter last summer...his first "real" backpack. He loves it and I now find myself with pack envy. Very nice pack!

Graywolf
05-10-2010, 09:41
I bought my son the Deuter last summer...his first "real" backpack. He loves it and I now find myself with pack envy. Very nice pack!

A friend of mine came over this past weekend and tried the pack..He couldn't believe how light and comfortable it was.. I have put all the same gear I had from last year into the pack and it comes down to 24 pounds..My Kelty was 6 pounds, so now I see the weight comparisson, 30 pounds total last year..So with the new gear, I know the weight is even lower..Going to weigh it with the new gear to see the difference..LOVE IT!!

Graywolf