PDA

View Full Version : safe place to park outside of baxter state park

Red River Falls
05-04-2010, 20:25
I am thinking of camping in the park in June and having a friend meet me there, but I don't see the point of having both of us pay the auto entry fee. Does anyone know of a safe place for one of us to park the car outside Baxter State Park. We are going to do a bit of hiking, go up Mt. Katahdin, hike some trails, etc.

Thanks.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 20:29
You might try the AT Lodge in Millinocket. . .

Red River Falls
05-04-2010, 20:32
Is this an AMC facility? I assume it is outside the park? Is it close to Mt. Katahdin?

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 20:33
No, it's a private hostel run by a 2006 through-hiker... . . . decent place and very convenient to Baxter. . . .

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 20:34
It's about 15 - 20 minutes to the Baxter State Park . . . .

Red River Falls
05-04-2010, 20:41
I will consider that. Thanks.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 21:03
No prob. . . . :)

Tinker
05-04-2010, 21:56
A bunch of people were parked at the store at Abol Bridge when I went through there in '08. My son parked there and hiked to and back from Katahdin. No one bothered his car. I asked at the store where to park and they told me to park to the right of the store about 30 yards away. Of course, there are no guarantees, and my son's car wasn't much of a target being 14 years old at the time.

Jester2000
05-05-2010, 03:12
. . . but I don't see the point of having both of us pay the auto entry fee . . .

I guess the point would be that the $14.00 might go to support the Park you'll be enjoying.

Red River Falls
05-05-2010, 03:19
I am also aware that both of us are on a strict budget and would also be supporting the park by paying for a camping site for multiple nights. Maine residents pay no auto entry fee. Interestingly, in Virginia, (unless I am mistaken) I see no major distinction between resident and out-of-state users of our state parks.

I am all for supporting these resources, but it doesn't make much sense to me to drive two cars into the park (extra traffic, as well) when the trip is dependent upon a low cost.

Jester2000
05-05-2010, 03:51
I am also aware that both of us are on a strict budget and would also be supporting the park by paying for a camping site for multiple nights. Maine residents pay no auto entry fee. Interestingly, in Virginia, (unless I am mistaken) I see no major distinction between resident and out-of-state users of our state parks.

I am all for supporting these resources, but it doesn't make much sense to me to drive two cars into the park (extra traffic, as well) when the trip is dependent upon a low cost.

Ahhh, well those are your points, and they are good ones. When someone writes "I don't see the point," though, it makes me think that perhaps they're not aware of the point.

As for Virginia's State Parks, I believe they only make a distinction between residents and non-residents when charging fees for cabins and lodges. In PA they do make the distinction for just about every fee. I suppose the idea is that as a resident some of your tax money already goes to support the State Park system.

mudhead
05-05-2010, 05:05
I guess the point would be that the $14.00 might go to support the Park you'll be enjoying.

Most camp sites only allow 1 vehicle. I may pay not an entry fee, but I can't get at the place because people from VA clog the park. You should pay a per person entry fee and be glad to do it. If money is that tight, you should be camping near home.

Marta
05-05-2010, 06:49
Most camp sites only allow 1 vehicle. I may pay not an entry fee, but I can't get at the place because people from VA clog the park. You should pay a per person entry fee and be glad to do it. If money is that tight, you should be camping near home.

That doesn't make much sense. After telling them that most campsites only allow one vehicle (which supports their plan of leaving one outside the park) you then get all crabby. They have already stated they will be paying camping fees, etc. The are not trying to sneak in and out without paying. I suppose people from Maine never visit other states? Probably not--if they did they'd realize the weather is better in the rest of the country and they'd never go back to Maine. (My inlaws live in Maine...)

mudhead
05-05-2010, 07:52
Been known to visit other states.

Paid $20 to spend a day in some park in VA.

Tired of people willing to buy gas to drive 2K miles and them gripe about spending $15 here in ME. Or stopping in the travel lane to take a picture.

The weather here suks. No one should come here.

Jester2000
05-05-2010, 11:03
New anti-tourism slogan:

"Maine -- The Way Life Should Be. For Mainers. Seriously, Everyone Else -- It's Horrible Here. We Just Say That To Make Ourselves Feel Better."

boarstone
05-05-2010, 18:40
I am thinking of camping in the park in June and having a friend meet me there, but I don't see the point of having both of us pay the auto entry fee. Does anyone know of a safe place for one of us to park the car outside Baxter State Park. We are going to do a bit of hiking, go up Mt. Katahdin, hike some trails, etc.

Thanks.

Ask the Appalachian Trail Lodge for parking areas in town, lord knows there is enough of them! (207)723-4321 or the local town office. I don't have their #.

Red River Falls
05-05-2010, 19:54
Good points all around. Looking forward to seeing some beautiful country if I get to make the trip. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and have some good weather and see a moose.

TJ aka Teej
05-06-2010, 10:04
Does anyone know of a safe place for one of us to park the car outside Baxter State Park.
The AT Lodge in Millinocket or at the Abol Bridge Store.