PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Gear

fw2008
05-04-2010, 21:11
I've got a Gregory Wind River that is definitely not thru-hike material, let alone a week-long trek through Vermont.
I bought the pack about 10 years ago, and somehow I thought I would just "grow into" it.
At the same time, I purchased a Sierra Designs Wyatt Earp 0 deg bag, and a Mountain Hardwear Nightview tent, and now realize that none of my gear suits my current needs.
Don't get me wrong; this is great gear, but for a different purpose than I have in mind today.

When I bought that gear, I was planning to do some winter backpacking. I figured that the longest hike I would take was between 2 and 3 days. An AT thru-hike never crossed my mind.

But now, I am 54 years old, not getting any more resilient, and starting to have minor foot and knee problems. I have run 9 marathons on these feet, and I think I am starting to pay the price.

That is not to say I won't try a thru-hike. But I won't even think of trying it with my current gear.
I am not sure of the weight measurements on my current stuff, but I think it's like this:

Gregory Wind River pack: 7lbs
MH Night View tent: 8lbs
Sierra Designs Wyatt Earp bag: 2lbs

And to that I add my bear canister (I hate to hang food): 2lbs
I'm already up to 2/3 the total weight I would like to start a thru-hike with.

So, I am going to be looking for new gear over the next 6-7 months. I plan to start my TH in Feb 2011.

I realize that there is a lot of great, light weight gear on the market, but I don't have a good budget. My current situation is one that will allow me plenty of time to do the hike, but unfortunately not much to spend for the hike.
But on the other hand, I think that if my preliminary hikes of 7 days or longer are successful (my feet don't scream out for me to stop), I will try the TH.

I will wait until at least December to buy all of my gear except my boots. As I posted in another thread here, my old Asolos have lost their soles:(
I don't want to wait until December, when these old boots have completely ruined my feet to go for new ones (boots, not feet :D), and I want to have plenty of time to break in the new boots.

So, I will be watching this forum, and taking increasingly longer hikes with my current gear, until I can determine that body may allow me to do a thru-hike, then go for the new gear.
I think this is a good plan, since I don't want to get stuck with a lot of bran-new gear that I will never use.

Just for curiosity; what do you think of my current gear?
Should I have ever bought this gear? What would someone normally need this type of gear for?
As I said, I am fully aware that no one in his right mind would consider starting a 2200 mile hike with this gear.

Thanks for your advice / opinion

FW

Tinker
05-04-2010, 21:52
You already know that your current gear is heavy - I agree. Is it good? Sure, for shorter hikes (or shorter days) or car camping. You could post it here for sale and it would probably sell to someone who doesn't intend to do much more than weekend hikes and use that money to get yourself something lighter.

Don H
05-04-2010, 22:02
Learn how to bear bag and save 1 lb 15 oz.
Tent: No more than 2 lbs, there's lots of choices, check out Henry Shire's Tarp Tents.
Pack: No more than 2 lbs. I use a ULA Conduit, Granite Gear's Nimbus Ozone is another good one.
Sleeping Bag: Buy a top quality down bag, check out MontBell, Western Mountaineer or Feathered Friends (I have the 20* Swallow)
You'll also need a sleeping pad for insulation and comfort. Check out Thermarest Prolite or the new NEO inflatable (expensive but very comfortable!)

skinewmexico
05-04-2010, 22:12
I used to be in your shoes, FW2008. Sell what you have, and watch for used gear. Find lots of good almost new gear on BPL. All I would add to what Don H said is to look at Gossamer Gear packs too. And Six Moon Designs tents.

And don't give up.....there are a lot of people on here who think you'll die without the gear you're carrying now.

ChrisFol
05-04-2010, 22:13
1)Just for curiosity; what do you think of my current gear?
2)Should I have ever bought this gear?
Thanks for your advice / opinion
FW

1) In one word, heavy, but you already knew that.
2) You buy what you can afford and if your gear got you out into the mountains and onto the trails, and you had fun doing it. Then who cares if we think you should have bought it or not.

fw2008
05-04-2010, 22:29
Hi guys; Thanks for the great advice/info. It's only been about an hour since I posted, and already I've got some very useful advice :)

Do you really think someone would buy my 10yr old pack?
Sure, it's in excellent condition, but is there really a market for such old stuff?

Check out Thermarest Prolite or the new NEO inflatable (expensive but very comfortable!
Thanks Don H for that advice. One thing I have always had trouble with was sleeping. I have two Thermarest inflatable pads, and even used one under the other but still I find it uncomfortable.
I know the value of a good night's sleep, so I won't skimp on my bag or the pad.

I agree. Is it good? Sure, for shorter hikes (or shorter days) or car camping Why would anyone need a backpack for car camping? I always took mine on such trips, but never used it for anything more than a piece of luggage.
I suppose if you have a group of backpackers going on a 1 or 2 night trip, such a pack would be of more use.

When I bought my equipment, I thought I would get someone to go with me on most of my hikes, and that would have split the weight, since the tent is 2 man. But that never happened. I took about a dozen overnight trips carrying that pack, and was always at least 50lbs!
That's 1/3 of my body weight!

I'm figuring between 25 and 30lbs max for a thru-hike.

I guess I should start practicing hanging my food too. It just got me frustrated on my first trip, so I went out and bought the can.

FW

fw2008
05-04-2010, 22:36
Find lots of good almost new gear on BPL
skinewmexico (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=19104); not to sound ignorant, but what is BPL? my guess is Backpacker's something. A web site?

FW

medicjimr
05-04-2010, 22:42
skinewmexico (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=19104); not to sound ignorant, but what is BPL? my guess is Backpacker's something. A web site?

FW

BPL backpacking light web site I have been in the same boat bought the cheapest gear I could find to find out it was the heaviest too I am not the young mule I used to be spent quite a bit of money figuring it out but the gear isn't wasted just let wife and daughter use it for car camping

fw2008
05-04-2010, 23:31
BPL backpacking light web site I have been in the same boat bought the cheapest gear I could find to find out it was the heaviest too I am not the young mule I used to be spent quite a bit of money figuring it out but the gear isn't wasted just let wife and daughter use it for car camping
OK. Thanks.
I really don't know what I was thinking when I bought that stuff, except maybe I was really going to do some serious winter backpacking, and needed the larger pack for all the clothing I would need.
I even bought an ice axe, and a set of 12pt crampons.
From what I have seen, no one uses that equipment on an AT hike. I met some guys in VT some years ago in September, and one guy had half crampons he was carrying for the Whites.

Still, those full crampons were great to have on a winter backpacking trek to Slide Mountain in the Catskills.
So I guess everything has its place.

FW

Franco
05-05-2010, 00:54
Don has posted some of the classic go-to light but not "too light" gear around and as suggested it can all be found used or sometime new/almost new here or at BPL (no need for a subscription to see the forums)
That list will save you about 10 lbs from your present pack/tent and sleeping bag.
Just like you most buy stuff and then change to something else. Some do this as a hobby (or so I understand...)
Franco

garlic08
05-05-2010, 01:17
I doubt anyone decides to hike the AT, gears up from scratch, and finishes the trail with the same stuff they started with. Everyone goes through his or her own learning process. Not only with gear, but with how to eat, stay warm, stay healthy, set up camp, etc.

You have some good stuff there, just not the stuff most thru hikers carry. You don't expect the plumber to have roofing tools. Your car mechanic isn't going to be using a chainsaw, even a real expensive, top-of-the-line model. You need the right tools for the job. If you don't expect to use it, definitely sell it. I got pretty good money for my crampons and ice axe on eBay after I hadn't used them for a few seasons.

Except for the sleeping bag, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised to find out that lighter stuff can be cheaper. A new single wall tent (24 oz) will be in the $200 range, a pack (16 oz) around $125, and you can make an almost weightless alcohol stove for free out of pepsi or cat food cans. Some are handy enough to make their own shelters and even quilts.

Don H
05-05-2010, 05:44
There's lots of good quality light gear out there to choose from. Do some research here and at other sites. It might help to post a question about each specific piece of gear you're researching. That way the discussion stays focused on one topic at a time. Also check the web for discount codes from some of the vendors. I just bought a MontBell sleeping bag and got 20% off that way.

Toolshed
05-05-2010, 06:40
FW, There are plenty of folks who would still carry a pack like that in the Daks, Greens or whites for long weekends in any season. Those packs are workhorses.
I still have my 8 lb Astralplane (among other larger heavier packs) for when I really need the space. They might be heavy, but the were the standard then and meant to last a lifetime. As for the full crampons, I bring them in the winter in the 'Daks. You might not need them, but I would rather have them when going over Gothics only to find the cable buried in ice and only haivng my sherpas. It is still all about being prepared.
Many folks only make the trek in to set up a base camp and then spend a few days just dayhiking. Again, those packs are fine for carrying a lot of creature comforts.
P.S. You might be able to get a couple of hundos for it on Ebay.

Raul Perez
05-05-2010, 07:17
Want better sleep.... Start researching hammocks

tammons
05-05-2010, 08:32
Sell all that heavy stuff and buy a good 0.1 oz scale.
Make a spreadsheet shopping list and dont buy anything heavier than is what is on it.

6# big 4
Miraposa plus pack
Moment or lightheart tent (or UL hammock and tarp)
Some sort of light pad like a Thermarest prolite 3 or a neoair or a bluepad
Sub 2# sleeping bag.

6# for every thing else. (The hard part)

12# base weight + 10# food for 5 days + 4# of h20 = 26# total.

Tipi Walter
05-05-2010, 08:37
I wouldn't worry about it. Any normal adult can carry 40% of his body weight and be okay. Take what you want or stick with the old standards like the Astralplane or the 8lb tent. You might not be punching out the big daily miles but you can easily do 12 miles a day, and anyway, what's the big deal with this constant tunnel-vision over "daily miles walked"? Who says backpacking has to be a Grand Plan to punch out the long trails as quickly as possible?

Don't buy into the "you either camp or you either hike" myth. Everyone does both, and even the speed demons have to camp for 10 or 12 hours a day and rarely exceed hiking past 12 hours in a day. So, we all hike and we all camp.

And watch out for the "right tool for the job" mantra. This is the one that causes the most bails for those attempting to go too light, especially in the garment department. People bring a "tool" they think will work but then get caught up on a bald in May with blowing snow and high winds. The thing is, the job always changed, sometimes radically and especially in the winter, and this fact is what drives backpackers off the AT in January and February to bug out from whatever winter storm hits them. Why? Cuz they don't want to carry the weight to get thru it.

And no lightweight piece of gear should dictate how long you stay out w/o resupply and where you set up camp. Want to set up at 6,000 feet on an open bald in a windstorm? Have the right four season tent for it, and then forget about it. Want to go out during a 0F blizzard while everyone else is bailing? Go ahead but make sure you have a 5,000-6,000 cubic inch pack to take care of it. Want to stay out for 15 or 20 days w/o resupply? Now, how are you gonna carry 40-50 lbs of just food and fuel with a tiny pack?

Toolshed
05-05-2010, 18:33
I wouldn't worry about it. Any normal adult can carry 40% of his body weight and be okay. Take what you want or stick with the old standards like the Astralplane or the 8lb tent. You might not be punching out the big daily miles but you can easily do 12 miles a day, and anyway, what's the big deal with this constant tunnel-vision over "daily miles walked"? Who says backpacking has to be a Grand Plan to punch out the long trails as quickly as possible?

Don't buy into the "you either camp or you either hike" myth. Everyone does both, and even the speed demons have to camp for 10 or 12 hours a day and rarely exceed hiking past 12 hours in a day. So, we all hike and we all camp.

And watch out for the "right tool for the job" mantra. This is the one that causes the most bails for those attempting to go too light, especially in the garment department. People bring a "tool" they think will work but then get caught up on a bald in May with blowing snow and high winds. The thing is, the job always changed, sometimes radically and especially in the winter, and this fact is what drives backpackers off the AT in January and February to bug out from whatever winter storm hits them. Why? Cuz they don't want to carry the weight to get thru it.

And no lightweight piece of gear should dictate how long you stay out w/o resupply and where you set up camp. Want to set up at 6,000 feet on an open bald in a windstorm? Have the right four season tent for it, and then forget about it. Want to go out during a 0F blizzard while everyone else is bailing? Go ahead but make sure you have a 5,000-6,000 cubic inch pack to take care of it. Want to stay out for 15 or 20 days w/o resupply? Now, how are you gonna carry 40-50 lbs of just food and fuel with a tiny pack?
Nicely put!!:)

Franco
05-05-2010, 19:30
No , not nicely put at all...
The OP is after advice on gear for the AT, not winter camping on Mt Whitney.
To suggest an 8lbs tent (as Tipi always does) for the AT would be like suggesting a mountain bike to the Tour De France riders, you know ...just in case.

Franco

ChrisFol
05-05-2010, 19:39
You might not be punching out the big daily miles but you can easily do 12 miles a day, and anyway, what's the big deal with this constant tunnel-vision over "daily miles walked"? Who says backpacking has to be a Grand Plan to punch out the long trails as quickly as possible?
?

Personally I don't care about MPD, what I care about is hiking those in comfort and enjoying the backcountry. I don't know about you, but I used to find it hard to enjoy much of anything with 45lb pack on my back. My five rest breaks were spent "recovering" rather than taking in the beautiful scenery.

As for MPD, carrying less weight generally co-insides with hiking more miles per day because your body is not as fatigued and you are able to cover more ground in a shorter period of time. Before I went light 10-12MPD was about my limit, now I cover 90% more ground in less time and enjoy more of my trip. This also allows me the flexiblity to hike a little further if I don't like the location I am in without battling the fading light.

The idea is that you take the gear for the conditions which are expected. I don't know about you but I never planned a 5-7 day trip and been "suprised" and I live Colorado! If you go out for 6 days and it rains for four of them and you didn't bring any rain gear-- that is just poor planning.

Thru-hikes are no exception. When I did the CT I knew that I was leaving in mid June and planned to finish by the end of July. This automatically dictates what gear I can leave at home. If I went in January or Feburary, then it is still winter and I would use a completely different set of "tools" for the job.

Pack weight as nothing to do with not ones ability not to make it.

This is also a little far-fetched.

"Have the right four season tent for it"-- is this just like saying "use the right tool for the job" which you just advocated against? FWIW-- a tarp is perfectly suited to with-stand windstorms with the correct pitch. Personally I don't see much use in a four-season tent until winter.

15-20 days worth of MY food weighs between 23lbs and 30lbs. 50lbs of food for 20 days is 2.5lbs of food per day-- you must get hungry, but I digress. If you are carrying 50lbs period, then why would you have a tiny pack? Is this again not advocating using the right tool for the job?

Really, your post is irrelevent. The OP wants advice for the AT in three-season conditions. Your rant is aimed more towards adverse, freezing winter conditions-- unlikely from mid-May onwards in most parts of the U.S.

fw2008
05-05-2010, 20:08
I have to agree with those who advocate the lightest gear one can get away with. Extra weight in gear is only going to burn up more calories per mile, and require more food to support that output, thus more weight.

FW

bigcranky
05-05-2010, 20:56
I wouldn't worry about it. Any normal adult can carry 40% of his body weight and be okay.

Oh good grief. I'm in decent shape, and 40% of my body weight is over 80 pounds. I didn't carry that much even in the Army.

Nobody needs to carry 40% of his or her body weight on a backpacking trip on the AT.

restless
05-05-2010, 21:03
fw2008,

While most of the advice on here is good, I think you should consider making at least some of your gear "thru-hikable". For example-the Wind River pack, knowing how Gregory makes their products, probably has a lot of bells and whistles. You could try keeping your pack and strip it-cut off all unnecessary straps. Does it have a top lid that comes off? Ditch it. [I]s there any sort of internal pockets that could be removed-ie hydration sleeves? Take em out. remove any zipper pulls-not the metal zippers themselves but the cloth that is attached to them. Cut off any excess plastic D-rings. While this probably won't get you down to a lightweight pack, it will start the thinking process of exactly what you need. You have plenty of time to evaluate what you need and to look for bargains-Campmor would be a good starting place, as well as gear sales here on WB. Just keep in mind that for every poster on WB, there are just as many opinions as to what you should carry. 35-40lbs would be a good starting weight but remember-it is your hike and ultimately you are the one who decides what goes and what stays. A lighter pack is better than a heavy one but keep in mind, new gear,especially lightweight stuff, don't come cheap.

ChrisFol
05-05-2010, 21:36
fw2008,
keep in mind, new gear,especially lightweight stuff, don't come cheap.

I beg to disagree. A 13oz, 8x10 silnylon tarp from Campmor is only $70 and Henry's TarpTents are around $250, which is the same, if not less than some of the MSR and BA competition.

Light sleeping bags also don't need to cost an arm and leg. Campmor's +20 and REI's Sub Kilo +20 degree down bag are more than adaquate. You can also get nice and light, sub 3Lb synthetic bags for just a little more: MH Ultralamina +15 or the +32 degree version which weighs under 2lbs. There is no need for a $600 FF bag, even though I own two of them.

Light CCF pads cost less than their inflateable counterparts.

Lights pots are also in abundance-- AGG sells a competitive pot for under $15 and so does KMart, Walmart and the Dollar store.

The difficulty is light clothes on the cheap, but that is were Goodwill, Gear Swap forums and place like Target come into the equation. No need to go to REI and drop $40+ on one shirt. Campmor is also a good online vendor for clothes-- look for their 20%off coupons.

Mags
05-05-2010, 21:45

So binary Walter. :)

Of we course we all do both silly.

Just sme like to walk more than camp. Some like to camp more than walk. Some of us like to do both every now and then.

Only a gear hobbyist drones on about ....gear.

Go out, hike, climb, ski, paddle and enjoy.

Tinker
05-05-2010, 22:11
fw2008,
If you are hiking solo and haven't tried a hammock, you should - even if you find you can't sleep in it (you can use it around the house for lounging). Campmor has one for $20.00. You can pull a sleeping bag around a hammock (as long as it has a foot opening or full zipper) and have insulation all around (just make sure the hammock fits you fairly snugly or you'll have cold spots, like an underquilt that sags). A good bug net for the hammock can be had for around $50.00, webbing or ropes for another $15-20. and a tarp for ?? (depends on size). I did quite well with a Byer hammock (ropes redesigned by me), an Eagle's Nest Outfitters bug net, and a 10x12 (!) Equinox tarp on my hike through the Hundred Mile Wilderness in 2008. I cooked with a homemade alcohol stove (supercat) and a 1.3 liter titanium pot with a smaller ti pot that I used for a cup. With minimal clothing and 10 days' worth of food my pack (empty, 14oz.) weighed around 35 lbs. It was a little uncomfortable for the first three days, but the rest of the trip (9 days to the resupply point at Abol Bridge) it was easy to manage. The only time I was cold was the night before the climb up Katahdin, on the mountain, and the next morning, and that was only a little bit cold.
Most of my gear was bought on sale, too.
A typical weekend pack for me weighs around 20 lbs. including a ridiculously heavy water filter (First Need) and a good sized knife. I don't carry as much food for short trips as I used to: I found I don't need as many calories (maybe because I'm not growing - I'm shrinking :D) as I once did.

Tinker
05-05-2010, 22:16
I meant to make sure that the bag (not the hammock) fits you fairly snugly. Of course the end result will be the same, pretty much. I don't toss and turn very much so I don't need one of the "diagonal lay" hammocks - I had one - a Hennessey, which I sold when I realized it didn't offer any benefits (except for some weight savings) over a hammock/net set, and the drawbacks of needing an underquilt for the winter, and not allowing as much ventilation in the summer as my current setup. Also- I got stung by a wasp through the bottom of my HH. The bug netting I use now hangs below my hammock so stinging insects can't get at me. Bew: for all you HH users, I never got bitten by blood sucking insects through the bottom. I was told by the HH personnel that the mesh (at least on the Ultralight A-sym) was too tight for their little proboscus.