PDA

View Full Version : REI Polar 20*

Graywolf
05-04-2010, 22:32
Looking at this bag today..has anyone used it?? Rated at 20* and seems for 90 bucks, not bad..I know that is cheap for a 20* bag, but I ma also on a budget..Any suggestions??

Graywolf

Graywolf
05-04-2010, 22:39
Looking at this bag today..has anyone used it?? Rated at 20* and seems for 90 bucks, not bad..I know that is cheap for a 20* bag, but I ma also on a budget..Any suggestions??

Graywolf

Sorry, 25* rating..Also looked at the Marmot Threstle 15* rating @ 99.00. Also at 3lbs 8oz..

Graywolf

Bearpaw
05-04-2010, 23:03
The Polar Pod is so bulky is will likely take up all 3000 cubic inches of most light packs. For car camping, it is a great entry level bag, but I wouldn't recommend it for backpacking.

For $30 more, you can get Campmor's Goose Down 20 degree bag (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065), at just over half the weight and less than half the bulk.

I'm an REI employee, but for backpacking, Campmor offers a better deal than the Polar Pod.

skinewmexico
05-05-2010, 01:57
What Bearpaw said. I got a Polar on the super clearance a few years ago for like $45, but that thing is giant.

Graywolf
05-05-2010, 02:16
The Polar Pod is so bulky is will likely take up all 3000 cubic inches of most light packs. For car camping, it is a great entry level bag, but I wouldn't recommend it for backpacking.

For $30 more, you can get Campmor's Goose Down 20 degree bag (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065), at just over half the weight and less than half the bulk.

I'm an REI employee, but for backpacking, Campmor offers a better deal than the Polar Pod.

Thanks Bearpaw, Ill check into that Goose down..Im looking for a good bag to thru hike in case that is my future next year..

Graywolf

Bearpaw
05-05-2010, 11:34
Thanks Bearpaw, Ill check into that Goose down..Im looking for a good bag to thru hike in case that is my future next year..

Graywolf

If you can get past the purple color, the Campmor Goose Down seems a great bargain. I've only seen and held one, not actually slept in it, but I've heard many times from users that it is a solid bag. Certainly, from doing the math of the volume of the stuff sacks, the Campmor bag is actually about 1/3 the size of the Polar Pod. To my mind, it's worth a look.

srestrepo
05-05-2010, 16:44
i had the REI polar for my cousin... i bought it becuase it was super cheap and it wasn't bad... or at least i thought it wasn't.

while it was certainly true to temperature rating and it definitely was a bargain, it was definitely compressible. the bag that it stuff into is huge and i was having difficulty cramming this monster of a bag into the stuff sac let alone into a backpack... i ended up abandoning the stuff sack in favor or just cramming teh sleeping bag into the pack hoping i could squeeze it all down there and save some pack space. didn't happen.

if i were you, i'd check out the campmor bag. a few people on here rave about it. forget teh color, who are you trying to impress in the woods anyway? its a bargain, doesn't weight that much and its compressible.

either way hyoh and best of luck

Graywolf
05-06-2010, 00:11
Thanks everyone..I am looking at a couple of Golite bags and even a Marmot.. I'll give the campmor bag a look..

Thanks..

Graywolf

skinewmexico
05-06-2010, 00:26
You might check and see if Luxurylite still has their overfilled bags on closeout for $99.

Graywolf
05-06-2010, 20:02
Just looked at Campmors selection and They really do have some good choices..I am working at keeping not only the cost down but the weight down too.. Look like there are several to choose from..

I will give an update when I find one...

Graywolf

CosmicMiami
07-03-2010, 18:37
I don't see that the Campmor comes with a stuff sack. Any recommendations? Thx.

CosmicMiami
07-03-2010, 18:39
Also, I'm 72.5 inches. The spec says length is 80" but fits "up to 6 feet". Will this be long enough?

Bearpaw
07-03-2010, 19:30
Also, I'm 72.5 inches. The spec says length is 80" but fits "up to 6 feet". Will this be long enough?

Order the long version (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40066) for $10 more. It will be worth it not to be crammed into a bag that is a bit too short for you.

mister krabs
07-04-2010, 11:31
I don't see that the Campmor comes with a stuff sack. Any recommendations? Thx.

It comes with a black nylon stuff sack and a cotton storage bag.