PDA

View Full Version : West Mountain Shelter, NY

mykl
05-05-2010, 14:48
I plan on heading up to West Mountain Shelter in Bear Mountain, NY in the next week or two. I never been up there, but have heard of great tent locations near the shelter. I'm looking for info about the water supply in the area. Anyone know? Or recommend a good tent spot near by? Thanks....

Ender
05-05-2010, 14:53
The water supply is down the hill in front of the shelter... it's a steep climb, and maybe a good 5 minutes or more away. But I remember it being a reliable source.

It's worth camping up by the shelter though and not by the water... the views from up at the shelter are fantastic, and the tent spots behind the shelter are very nice.

stranger
05-06-2010, 22:47
There is no water at the shelter, the most reliable being 0.3 mile down the blue-blazed Timp Torne trail that drops steeply from the shelter to the stream down on the way to the Timp Pass....there are OK campsites there.

Tinker
05-06-2010, 22:49
There is one nice but small tent spot on the left just before you reach the shelter. Passing the shelter there are a few more a little lower on the hillside. I didn't wander too far from the shelter as I was slightly dehydrated, tired, and not in the frame of mind to hike down to the water source. I hiked out the next morning.

Strategic
05-10-2010, 11:47
There are quite a few good tent sites around West Mountain shelter, both along the Timp Torne trail on the way in from the AT and past the shelter on the way down to the water source. It is a hard climb down to the water, so if you're coming from the AT it's just as easy to bring it with you in the first place and save the extra climb. Here are a couple of my pics from the shelter area when I sectioned there two years ago, the first being the shelter itself and the second the largest of the campsites along the Timp Torne:

Raul Perez
05-10-2010, 12:12
I've been to west mt shelter numerous times. Comming from the AT trail there is a spring on your left about 1/8 mile before the shelter on the blue trail. I would recommend a water filter.

Plenty of camp sites avail at the shelter. Seems to be a popular spot in the spring summer months so get there early to get a decent spot.

mykl
05-10-2010, 12:39
Thanks for the replies and pictures! I'll be out there within the next few weeks. I'll be going mid week, so I think, and hope that it will be more quiet.

stranger
05-10-2010, 23:55
I love this place, have fun!

Feral Bill
05-11-2010, 20:22
I've been to west mt shelter numerous times. Comming from the AT trail there is a spring on your left about 1/8 mile before the shelter on the blue trail. I would recommend a water filter.

Plenty of camp sites avail at the shelter. Seems to be a popular spot in the spring summer months so get there early to get a decent spot.

Is that spring a small pool in a clump of bushes? I have not been there in a very long time and remember getting water there regularly.

For the OP: There are several routes to and from West Mountain. Do take advantage of these opportunities. The trail back to Bear Mountain trailheads through Doodletown was always a favorite of mine.

Raul Perez
05-11-2010, 22:13
Is that spring a small pool in a clump of bushes? I have not been there in a very long time and remember getting water there regularly.

For the OP: There are several routes to and from West Mountain. Do take advantage of these opportunities. The trail back to Bear Mountain trailheads through Doodletown was always a favorite of mine.

yes one and the same!

Feral Bill
05-11-2010, 22:49
yes one and the same!

I love Harriman, it never changes. A couple of years ago I took a nostalgia hike there and couldn't believe it was just like I remembered from the 70s.:sun