PDA

View Full Version : Electrolyte Gel

Track3307
05-05-2010, 18:11
Hello all,

I recently tried the generic walmart electrolyte gel (basically sugar, salt, caffeine), and despite the taste, had a good experience with it.

Also, I used CeraSport when I went through Airborne School at Ft. Benning, and would definitely recommend that to anyone willing to spend a little extra.

Does anyone have any other brand recommendations? I would greatly appreciate opinions/suggestions.

10-K
05-05-2010, 18:13
Good ol' Gu....

Phreak
05-05-2010, 20:28
I use GU Vanilla Bean but for electrolyte replacement I use Endurolytes (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/endurolytes.elt.html).

Spokes
05-05-2010, 21:12
Always liked Hammer Gel. Just avoid simple sugars (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/the-10-biggest-mistakes-endurance-athletes-make.1273.html?sect=essential-knowledge-section) at all costs. Maltodextrins are the best.

fw2008
05-05-2010, 22:18
I have used Accel gel, made by Pacific Health. I like it a lot, and it does work for me. I've used gels mainly for running, but I think I will start taking them along even for day hikes. Definitely something you would want to have on a long trek. They can provide that "second wind" you may need to reach camp before dark :)

I have also used GU, which I like, and some off-brands too. I never found a gel that I really hated, but I bought some house-brand ones from an online health store that ended up leaking after a couple months in the box. No problem though; they just mailed me a bran-new box, free of charge.

One thing about gels though; always take them with water. Maybe that's more important when running a marathon than for hiking, but my common sense tells me always to drink some water whenever I eat anything.

FW

Gladiator
05-05-2010, 22:25
For electrolyte replenishment, use Endurolytes by Hammer Nutrition or Electrolyte Stamina by Trace Mineral Research. Both come in capsule form, and have much higher electrolyte content than any of the gels.

JaxHiker
05-07-2010, 11:02
I just picked up some Camelbak Elixir for my next hike. We'll see how it goes.

John B
05-07-2010, 12:26
This thread has an attached chart of various gels and their respective nutritional values:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55319

Ladytrekker
05-07-2010, 12:41
This is why I love Whiteblaze. I have been doing a lot of hiking in the last year and not necessarily long distance but on weekends usually 8 to 10 miles. I am doing my first section hike Springer to Unicoi at the end of May.

Anyway, I recently had all my bloodwork done and had a lot of imbalances in Vitamin areas, sodium, potassium and cbc. I have anemia and all is treatable but aggravating because of the fatigue and body issues you deal with.

I have always lived in Florida so heat has always been apart of my life and over the last couple of years have been dealing with really getting zapped by the heat. I have googled and been researching heat intolerance and heat insensitivity along with being anemic and there are a lot of correlations.

But I started reading this thread and it hit a cord with me so I started looking up symptoms of electrolyte deficiency and exercise. I do believe ya’ll have diagnosed my issues. I am going to try the electrolyte replacement. I am hiking tomorrow for about 7 miles in full sun so I am going to really concentrate on getting enough electrolytes. I was really enlightened by this.

Thank you……..

fiddlehead
05-07-2010, 13:17
They all sound so..............well "chemically"
Why not replace electrolytes naturally with the water inside green coconuts.
OK, they are not available everywhere but big supermarkets have them.
Google that stuff, it's amazing.

Spokes
05-07-2010, 13:47
This thread has an attached chart of various gels and their respective nutritional values:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55319

What? No Hammer Gel listed?

Spokes
05-07-2010, 13:48

Great way to get a trail name..............

kanga
05-07-2010, 13:52
does it have to be a gel? if not, i'll throw in nuun for your consideration. the mixed berry is the best, imo.

John B
05-07-2010, 14:11
What? No Hammer Gel listed?

If you'd like to send me some packets, I'll be happy to add them to the list. :sun

I've only listed the gels that I have bought. My running shop doesn't carry all that many brands.

While I'm on the subject, the OP mentioned gels that have caffine. If you've been reading Runners World or even the Health section of the NY Times, there is some concern about using caffinated gel packets while doing a marathon. I can't summarize the science all that well, but what they're saying is that if your heart is already stressed to the max, it may not be the smartest thing to add a dose of caffine on top of things. There is very tentative data that show a higher percentage of marathoners who have suffered coronary events during a race having used caffinated gels during the race.

Track3307
05-07-2010, 14:41
Yes - I only use the caffeine on shorter hikes.

I wanted to get this thread going to help people out - I always experienced intense cramping of my legs and such during long ruck marches (12-18 miles between 3-5 hours) and needed a solution. I found it in electrolyte replacement.

This need not be gels only - powders (Like I mentioned originally, Cerasport) are highly welcome.

Once again all, I greatly appreciate the suggestions and now have a grocery list of stuff to try :)

garlic08
05-07-2010, 16:17

Fruit does fairly well, too. Here in AZ I started drinking fresh lemonade and grapefruit juice after coming in from the heat, free from neighbors' trees. I hear some around here add a little sodium bicarbonate. On the long trails, I carry lots of raisins and figs and salted nuts. Less engineered and processed, but it still works OK, at least for me. I'm jealous about those coconuts--sounds great.

I tried a replacement electrolyte someone gave me, and I got stomach cramps and lots of gas. The gas was pretty fun :eek:, but the cramps weren't.

JERMM
05-07-2010, 17:15
does it have to be a gel? if not, i'll throw in nuun for your consideration. the mixed berry is the best, imo.

oh no it's not, citrus is the best, imo

kanga
05-07-2010, 17:21
oh yes it is! flat mellow yellow you have!

JAK
05-07-2010, 21:43
Is this for hiking or trail running?
If for hiking, eat something and keep walking.
If for trail running, slow down and eat something.

Seriously though, would tea with honey work?