PDA

View Full Version : Exos 58 VS GG Nimbus Ozone

STICK
05-06-2010, 00:31
They seem to be bout the same pack.
Both about the same size.
Both are stated to be able to carry up to 40 lbs.
Both about the same price.
However, it seems that the Exos may have a few little extras whereas the GG doesn't. Also, the Exos is a few oz lighter than the GG. But the GG can change out straps, and stays with the KISS attitude. Otherwise, according to specs these seem to be pretty close.

So, for loads between 30 - 35 lbs, what do you think?

It seems that this would actually come down to more of a fit and feel issue for the person using it.

longhiker
05-06-2010, 01:57
never tried the gg..

had the exos 46 for a couple of weeks... perfect fit and very comfortable at 30 lbs. i'm a skinny tall guy and 30 lbs is often uncomfortable for me... 40 is the max i can do (and used to do unfortunately).

but 30 lbs in the exos and i barely noticed it on my back. in fact if not for feeling it in my knees and legs, i wouldnt know i had a pack on.. the shoulders and back felt great. the weight transfer worked better than on any pack i've ever tried.

i just traded up the exos 46 for 58 though.. i carry bulky food items and a bear box at times. the fit seems to be the same.

the exos does have a metal frame that's pretty much external and could give you trouble if it touches your back.. it did for me for a bit when i loaded the pack badly and put it on quickly without proper adjustment. but once i got it right, the pack was great.

PS: the exos 58 is around 2 lbs 8 oz for the medium .. some websites and the pack insert and labels carry an incorrect lower weight. watch out!

STICK
05-06-2010, 02:41
I was interested in the Ospreys, but then I saw weights on the Aethers and was turned off. However, I just really looked at the Exos series tonight. I even met hikingshoes from here the other day and he had one, but I just didn't look at it as well as I should have. As far as GG, just from wearing them around in the stores I have been impressed with them, whch is more experience than I have had with any Osprey. however comfort seems to be big factors for both of these packs. While they are both light weight packs (IMO) they both refuse to sacrifice the needed suspension.

Anyway, the medium is what would be my size in the Exos 58 (18.5 in torso - and the hip belt won't cut it for me on the small) so there is a 8 oz difference in the 2 packs. I have read a few reviews that state that the Exos seems to in fact be more than 58 liters, so there probably isn't much difference in sizes between the two. However, according to specs, the GG has the (med) Exos by 300 ci. (Also, from what I understand (according to some trusting reviews) the Exos does not count the pockets on the outside in the stated 3500 ci of space for the Exos.)

See, same packs.

Kerosene
05-06-2010, 09:53
I've owned the GG NO for awhile now and have posted on it multiple times:

Early Review (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15427)
7-Year Comments (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=945633&postcount=4)
Pack Recommendations for 25-30 Pounds (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52226)

butts0989
05-06-2010, 09:57
IVe never tried the GG nimbus ozone but i love the Exos for heavy loads. personally im into sub 20oz packs, but for certain winter trips, the Exos carries with exceptional comfort. If i were you and were still going to consider a GG pack, you may want to check out the Meridian Vapor. A lot of people love the panel loading system in it.

Deadeye
05-06-2010, 10:30
It seems that this would actually come down to more of a fit and feel issue for the person using it.

Definitely! I like my GG packs, but the Nimbus curves don't fit my back. I also like ventilated packs like the Exos, but the shape makes packing difficult, and it may not carry a bear canister horizontally. Grab your gear and get to the store!

FamilyGuy
05-06-2010, 11:32
In theory, the GG Nimbus will carry better at any weight than the Exos because it puts the centre of gravity of the load against your back.

As far as 35-40lb loads - these are maximum recommendations, not in the realm of true comfort. Both of these packs will do much better with 30 or less.

STICK
05-06-2010, 13:04
The pack is a long time coming. And with my list now, my anticipated loads will be ~ 30 lbs for summer and ~ 35 winter. However, these are my weights on paper. I am sure that like most, once I have this accumulated and on my back for a few weeks, I would probably be as much as 5 lbs less for each season, so both of these packs are great candidates for me. It just all comes down to the fit, from what I can tell.

I have worn the GG's and the NM fit me very well. However, now I am looking for something slightly smaller than the NM but that can still carry a good load if needed. Enter the NO. I am not interested in the packs without a suspension. Also, I am not a fan of panel loaders. The pack I have now has the top loader as well as the panel loader, and I have never used that option on my pack, or feltI needed to. Also, it doesn't seem that a panel loader is a good use while using a pack liner. I don't know on this though because I haven't used a pack liner so far.

FG, I had read the same things about the center of gravity, but by reading Rays review on it, it doesn't seem like it is such the problem that it may seem like. However, in comparison, I think that the GG may do so better than the Exos if weights were in the 35 - 40 lb range, in light of this simple theroy. However, Ray does mention that the Exos sweet spot is 30 lbs. From reading reviews on the GG, it sounds like the NO is right about the same.

Sounds like both of these packs are sweet packs, and it just comes down to personal preference.

Thanks for everyones comments.

johnnyblisters
05-06-2010, 13:13
The Exos is a great pack. I used to be a frameless UL packer but I realized that my comfort is much more important than a few ounces. My Exos 58 is extremely comfortable and has more packing options than my GG Virga for sure!

FamilyGuy
05-06-2010, 16:55
Stick - Ray is a big guy, don't forget. So for him, 30lbs may not feel the same as 30lbs for you.

Have you considered the Granite Gear Escape 60? They will be coming out with a 40L version later in the year.

Can you try someone's Exos for a trek?

longhiker
05-06-2010, 18:12
1. The Exos is TRULY TRULY comfortable at 30 lbs. I can testify to that. I am 5' 11" and 140 lbs... so really skinny. Usually I can't take such weights. The Exos is the most comfortable pack I've tried in that weight range by a mile. (The other packs I've tried are mostly by Greogory, Osprey, Golite Jam (if I remember right) and other common ones found at EMS and another nearby outdoor store.)

2. This stuff about the Exos moving the weight away from your center of gravity doesn't make any sense.. sure, it seems that way when you look at a picture of the Exos with the air gap. But this is a very small distance. Try wearing one and clambering over rocky ground and you'll see... I did try and I couldn't be happier.

3. I did hear that the 58 L marking for the Exos does not include the top pouch or the pockets but I don't know how I can verify this at home..

longhiker
05-06-2010, 18:15
Oh, and

4. The Exos 58 will take a Garcia horizontally. In fact, even the 46 can sort of manage it in an academic trial, if you really try stuffing it.. (can't really put anything else in the pack then). This fact is based on an EMS store attendant and I trying it with an Exos 46 pack in the store.

5. I use the Medium Exos and it's 2 lbs 8 oz.. the inserts in the Exos pack, certain websites and the tags on some floor models give an incorrect lower weight.

STICK
05-06-2010, 18:20
Stick - Ray is a big guy, don't forget. So for him, 30lbs may not feel the same as 30lbs for you.

:) Haha, yeah, he has me by about 4 inches, but we about right on track with the weight (unless he's lost some).

Really though, he is in a lot better shape as much as he gets out compared to me.

I will be keeping my eye out. I have an REI about 3.5 hours away from me, so I may could rent some gear from them, but I haven't really looked into it much.

longhiker
05-06-2010, 18:21
Finally, I wanted to add that I bought an Osprey Aether 70 a while ago before I got into UL hiking.. I returned it after 2 - 3 weeks of just trying it out at home. My previous packs were similar to the Osprey Aether.

The Exos feels and is NOTHING like the Aether.. it's probably more similar to the Atmos though I don't have much experience with the Atmos. The Aether feels like carrying a bear -- both in terms of weight and just how much of the pack you feel around you.. being a skinny guy, I feel like it's some large bear hugging me from behind.

The Exos barely makes its presence felt. Really, the only way I know I have a 30 lb Exos backpack on me is from the strain on my knees from the weight.

At least with the way it fits me, I can do 35 lbs with the Exos 46 and 58 (Medium) can comfortably.. 40 lbs might be when I get uncomfortable. You should certainly not think of 30 lbs as an upper limit on the Exos. If you are stronger / heavier than me, I'd guess your max might be even higher.

longhiker
05-07-2010, 20:38
This discussion at BPL about the Exos 58 as a winter pack might be useful.. I said similar things there as here but others have some very useful posts with pictures..

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=32340&skip_to_post=275974#275974

skinewmexico
05-08-2010, 12:43
I'm 5' 10", 200#, and the Exos 46 and 58 were the most uncomfortable packs I've ever used. Uncomfortable, like when women are having a baby, and the doctor says they'll feel uncomfortable. I thought enough of the design to buy both; just didn't work. My skinny friends like it though. Now ask me about my good ol, made in the USA, ULA packs........