PDA

View Full Version : Current problem hiker alert

ConcerenedMom
05-06-2010, 09:09
The names of some of the group:

Perfect Storm, Notech (lotech?), Long Island Ice Tea and there are 3 others.

Problem, they were at Old Orchard shelter drinking till 3 am, screaming and yelling, cursing (The C word and well as its partner the P LOUD and obnoxious) around the fire.

They left their broken Maddog bottle in the fire pit, broke other bottles, were inconsiderate and nasty to all people camping and this is not the 1st incident involving these people.

They are turning back to hike South to Damascus, they stayed at the PLACE a week ago, and plan to go back.

They are considering staying till Trail Days...soemone with trail authority, put these folks in their place.

Alaskanhkr23
05-06-2010, 09:42
Wow..... Thats realy unfortunate that there's people that act like that.

Graywolf
05-06-2010, 09:50
WoW!!! Really bad representive of hikers. The trail guides and ATC site talk about Hiker ettiquette and this goes against all that.. It is hikers like this that give the REAL hikers a bad name..Not very good in my opinion..Sad news..

Graywolf

Lone Wolf
05-06-2010, 11:23

Problem, they were at Old Orchard shelter drinking till 3 am, screaming and yelling, cursing (The C word and well as its partner the P LOUD and obnoxious) around the fire.

They left their broken Maddog bottle in the fire pit, broke other bottles, were inconsiderate and nasty to all people camping and this is not the 1st incident involving these people.

They are turning back to hike South to Damascus, they stayed at the PLACE a week ago, and plan to go back.

They are considering staying till Trail Days...soemone with trail authority, put these folks in their place.

i'll be looking for them. when were they at old orchard? descriptions? ages?

IceAge
05-06-2010, 11:43
Am I the only one that wants to know what the "P Word" is?

Ender
05-06-2010, 11:50
never mind... doesn't need to be spelled out

wnderer
05-06-2010, 12:24
The C-word Correctness, it partner P-word Political. :-?
Political Correctness from hikers!! That's just wrong.

Manwich
05-06-2010, 13:13
Count and Pushy

IceAge
05-06-2010, 13:23
Really? People get upset about 'pussy'?

Nean
05-06-2010, 13:27

Do you use it in front of your daughter, mom, grandma?:rolleyes:

Slo-go'en
05-06-2010, 13:31
Boys will be boys

Nean
05-06-2010, 13:35
Boys will be boys

and some boys never grow up, or learn manners, or respect.:( Gender is a cop out.;)

Tipi Walter
05-06-2010, 13:50

This sounds like your typical engorged bellowing drunks mesmerized by their own love of alcohol. These kind are everywhere, and not only on the Appalachian Trail. Why is winter backpacking so wonderful?? Cuz it drastically thins out the motard drunks and their fascination with the booze. A good old January blizzard shuts down their nature-fantasy of a giant bonfire and upended liquor bottles and emptied beer cans.

Do AT shelters serve some purpose? Not really. The decent folk do not really need them, and the drunks won't congregate around them if they're not there. And btw, as far as gender goes, I don't believe I've ever backpack-camped near a group of rip-roaring drunk Women, so boys will be boys.

Nean
05-06-2010, 14:03
Do AT shelters serve some purpose? Not really.

And btw, as far as gender goes, I don't believe I've ever backpack-camped near a group of rip-roaring drunk Women, so boys will be boys.

You must of never noticed the areas closed for restoration.:confused: W/o shelters/ camping areas most of the AT would be CFR!:eek:

I was out with a bunch of them last night until daylight.;) You should get out moreTW.:D

Btw, gender is an excuse- not a reason, but I'm sure you know that.:)

IceAge
05-06-2010, 14:21
Do you use it in front of your daughter, mom, grandma?:rolleyes:

Go roll your eyes somewhere else.

If the OP was that upset, confront the troublemakers and ask them to please keep it down. Anonymously asking on the internet for "someone with trail authority" to take care of it is BS. You're on the trail, you have the authority to tell ******** to knock it off so that you can sleep.

modiyooch
05-06-2010, 14:29
yes.......

modiyooch
05-06-2010, 14:31
If the OP was that upset, confront the troublemakers and ask them to please keep it down. .Now, that's a real smart move.
Negotiating with disrespectful, obsene drunks at 3 am.

Rain Man
05-06-2010, 14:46
Boys will be boys

One of the lamest "excuses" for inexcusable behavior, I do believe.

Rain Man

The Old Fhart
05-06-2010, 15:05
This says it all...
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/3/1/endangered_1_original.jpg

Jack Tarlin
05-06-2010, 15:06
Thanks, O.F. That poster has been around for awhile but I wish people saw it more often, and in more places.

Nean
05-06-2010, 15:07

If the OP was that upset, confront the troublemakers and ask them to please keep it down. Anonymously asking on the internet for "someone with trail authority" to take care of it is BS. You're on the trail, you have the authority to tell ******** to knock it off so that you can sleep.

Soo, are you trying to tell us you were/are one of these "boys"?:rolleyes:

trailangelmary
05-06-2010, 15:12

Please notify the ATC and the NPS through the Harper's Ferry Office. (304) 535-6331 Ask for Todd Remaly

max patch
05-06-2010, 15:20

6 against 1 are pretty tall odds....

JAK
05-06-2010, 15:23
The odds are often worse over the internet.

boarstone
05-06-2010, 15:26

Good use for that can of bear spray you-all lug w/ya....:D

Nean
05-06-2010, 15:29
The odds are often worse over the internet.

Regarless of how large the odds are, do you think they are wrong?:confused:

IceAge
05-06-2010, 15:31
:rolleyes:

No, I was not one the jackasses, and I'm not excusing their jackass behavior. I'm saying that it is the duty of hikers that are in the area of jackasses to strongly encourage them to knock off the jackassery.

David@whiteblaze
05-06-2010, 15:37
If you are hiking and you bump into these guys, carry a printout of that trail ettiquette form. it will take all of them hours to get it straight, and then it will look like piccasso until the alchohol wears off...

Nean
05-06-2010, 15:43
:rolleyes:

No, I was not one the jackasses, and I'm not excusing their jackass behavior. I'm saying that it is the duty of hikers that are in the area of jackasses to strongly encourage them to knock off the jackassery.

Thats cool.:)

I think she is asking the community to be aware and that she didn't feel comfortable doing the confronting (given the situation, I can't blame her) and perhaps someone is better suited to set these yahoos straight.:-?

Lone Wolf
05-06-2010, 16:31
Thanks, O.F. That poster has been around for awhile but I wish people saw it more often, and in more places.

signs mean nothing to hikers. there's no less than 7 signs at The Place that say "NO alcohol allowed on the property" yet daily it's ignored

Lone Wolf
05-06-2010, 16:32
i'll be looking for them. when were they at old orchard? descriptions? ages?

they're in town now

JEBjr
05-06-2010, 16:35
I'll see if I can't remove those broken bottles when I pass by next Wed. evening. I enjoy drinking as much as the next guy, but no sense making a mess.

Nean
05-06-2010, 16:40
they're in town now

Going to let them know they are being discussed?:)

moytoy
05-06-2010, 16:47
It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about their "party".

corialice81
05-06-2010, 16:54
And btw, as far as gender goes, I don't believe I've ever backpack-camped near a group of rip-roaring drunk Women, so boys will be boys.

You have obviously NEVER camped near/with/around the nortorious packadivas game09!

FritztheCat
05-06-2010, 17:00
This says it all...

Pretty much the same rules we in the Navy get everytime we hit a foreign port. A ship of 5000 can pull into port and it only takes about 2 or 3 to ruin the port city's impression of the Navy. It seems the same holds true for the trail.

modiyooch
05-06-2010, 17:09
It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about their "party".and the littering. roadside cleanup sounds redeeming.

I wonder what states they live. I noticed that a certain state was very trashy when I went thru. Not from hikers, but from the locals.

Local
05-06-2010, 17:25
they're in town now

Wolf, are these the guys in the orange tent?

clodhopper
05-06-2010, 17:29
My guess is that there was some early indicators that this party was going to get out of hand. If so, it would have been worth it to pack up and head down the trail for 15-20 minutes and set up a nice quiet camp.

I learned to take this approach when somebody started snoring in the shelter - much better to cut my losses and get a good night of sleep.

vonfrick
05-06-2010, 17:37
not getting a good night's sleep in a shelter is the risk you take...nothing illegal about drinking and being noisy...clodhopper is correct- move on.

there are all levels of douchebaggery out there...my favorite was a bunch of drunk fat guys too tired to make it up the hill cutting themselves a tentsite out of the maine woods with a machete in 2008. what was i supposed to say? they had a damned machete??!!

Local
05-06-2010, 17:46
Turns out I've met some of these guys, and have the phone number of one of them. I'll talk to them, let them know they are being discussed, and that someone has notified the town police of their presence and reputation. (I just checked on this.) I'll let them know we have a couple of new officers who want to establish their reputations, and they shouldn't provide the excuse for them to do this.

Lone Wolf
05-06-2010, 18:17
much ado about nothing. i spoke to one of the accused folks. there's 2 sides to every story. let this die. no cops need to be involved

Rain Man
05-06-2010, 18:18
... nothing illegal about drinking and being noisy ...

It's called "disturbing the peace" or "drunk and disorderly" or even "littering," if you prefer.

Rain Man

Lone Wolf
05-06-2010, 18:19
Going to let them know they are being discussed?:)

they know. word travels fast :)

Lone Wolf
05-06-2010, 18:25

the fire pit was cleaned and some of the folks camping were partying with them. another reason to not stay in or around shelters. these little soirees' happen all the time

njordan2
05-06-2010, 18:43
"Problem, they were at Old Orchard shelter drinking till 3 am, screaming and yelling, cursing (The C word and well as its partner the P LOUD and obnoxious) around the fire.

They left their broken Maddog bottle in the fire pit, broke other bottles, were inconsiderate and nasty to all people camping and this is not the 1st incident involving these people."

So what's the problem?

kayak karl
05-06-2010, 18:47
So what's the problem?
just a guess,............. people like you?

njordan2
05-06-2010, 19:27
kayak karl: wrong guess.
Guess again.

1azarus
05-06-2010, 19:38
what i like most about white blaze is to see people from different generations interacting so lovingly. very refreshing.

the goat
05-06-2010, 19:42
it probably would've been worth a shot to ask them to quiet down.

sometimes drunk people have no idea how loud they're being.

kayak karl
05-06-2010, 19:47
kayak karl: wrong guess.
Guess again.
OH... You solved the problem, YOU know the answer!!!!

eric j
05-06-2010, 20:03
Maddog, cant even imagine anyone over 18 drinking that swill, sounds like some kids getting wild and stupid like kids do. Sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Get over it!:sun

Mags
05-06-2010, 20:08
Since this thread has now become "You are a big poo poo head".... "No..you are!" I think it is time everyone take a breather. :sun