PDA

View Full Version : Best area to introduce a 9 y/o to the AT?

bigben
05-06-2010, 13:42
My son has FINALLY expressed some interest in backpacking. I have always talked it up to him, but have never pushed him into it, but I think he's ready. He'll be 9 this August, but is a huge, big, strong 9 y/o, 5 ft 110 lbs. Loves the outdoors. My only AT experience is from the Approach Trail to Fontana, and that would be pretty rough for him. It was for me! What I'd like is to do some 3-5 day sections on some "easier than the Nantahala's" terrain, that would have some kid-friendly camping spots and such, like creeks and waterfalls that we could play in or around. I was thinking Virginia or PA but am open to any and all suggestions. I plan on starting small, doing a few progressively more challenging overnighters most probably down at the Red River Gorge in KY, just to see what he can do and still enjoy. Not planning on big miles at all; would like to keep the days @ 5-8 miles, wouldn't mind staying at shelters, but would need to do it in an area where I can park and get a shuttle. I live in OH, so the closer to the trail drivetime-wise, the better. Even better yet would be areas where we could make a full week out of it and say hike for several days, get off the trail and then visit some historical sites, like Civil War battlefields, etc that are within easy driving distance. Be as specific as possible. And being as these will probably be June trips, take that into consideration as well.

I don't want to turn him off to hiking by making it hard, even though it IS hard physically. These trips will not be about me, at all. Also, any growing kid-friendly gear suggestions would be great. I'd rather not buy a nice pack just to have him outgrow it in a year, but he'll probably insist on taking his ALICE pack with a frame. I can carry a good chunk of his stuff though, and I got most of what we would need.

My best case scenario is that he will be my hiking partner for the rest of my life. I want to instill the love for the AT in him that I have and I want to do it right, so that he looks forward to "our big trip" every year.

Lone Wolf
05-06-2010, 13:55
come to the grayson highlands

Ender
05-06-2010, 13:57
I second LW's suggestion. The trail isn't difficult in that stretch, there are great views, and there are wild ponies.

bigcranky
05-06-2010, 14:05
I meet lots of Ohioans in the Grayson Highlands area. Easy to get to down I-77 from eastern Ohio, maybe not so much from Cincinnati. It's a great area for hiking -- open balds, wild ponies, etc.

bdpalace
05-06-2010, 14:06
Check out the Sheltowee Trace and the various sections throughout KY. The area down around Cumberland Falls seems to fit your needs. Sheltowee Trace Outfitters can provide shuttles in and around the area.

You can also hit the ST from the suspension bridge parking area to Natural Bridge (about 10 miles).

modiyooch
05-06-2010, 14:53
I meet lots of Ohioans in the Grayson Highlands area. Easy to get to down I-77 from eastern Ohio, maybe not so much from Cincinnati. It's a great area for hiking -- open balds, wild ponies, etc.
and kids love streams. Nearby area outside of Damascus has fishing and hiking.

Jack Tarlin
05-06-2010, 15:13
Ben:

I would use Harpers Ferry as your base......it's reasonably close to home, it's a fun place to visit, and you guys would enjoy seeing the ATC visitor center, which would also be a great place to get books, maps, etc., as well as all sorts of ideas/suggestions on nearby places to visit or hike.

You could do your hiking hiking in Maryland or the Southern part of Pennsylvania; this is easy to moderate hiking, with plenty of nice places to overnight.

You'd also be really close to both the Antietam and Gettysburg battlefields.

Just don't do this in LATE June as Gettysburg starts getting really crowded as it gets closer to July.

JRiker
05-06-2010, 15:35
the PCT, or the grand canyon

commonwealth_hiker
05-06-2010, 16:09
You know, Shawnee State Forest in Southern Ohio is a little bland, but the hiking is mostly easy enough. I would tend to agree with the Grayson Highlands suggestion, though. You could drive or shuttle up fairly near the top and avoid too much of a climb, and what's not to love about wild ponies?

Another good would would be Roan High Knob in NC/TN. It's about 6.5 hours from Cincinnati. Driving up to Carver's Gap is a breeze, and on clear days you have some of the most remarkable scenery of the whole AT. If you feel up to hiking 5 or 6 miles in (I think), you can stay at Overmountain Shelter, one of the prettiest on the whole AT.

Ender
05-06-2010, 16:16
the PCT, or the grand canyon

I don't really see how bringing him to either of those places would introduce him to the AT...

SteveJ
05-07-2010, 10:55
Bigben: wOOt! Hopefully, some of the best years of you and your son's life are starting....

I started hiking with my youngest when he was 9. He did his first section on the AT when he was 10 - we started at Springer and went to 3 Forks.

10 year old on AT (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9360&catid=member&imageuser=6309)

With his brother at 3 Forks (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9361&c=member&imageuser=6309)

There are other pics of our hikes over the last several years in my gallery.

He's turning 15 in August. We did a 40 mile hike last June, and hiked into Nantahala Gorge, so have sectioned since he was 10 from Springer into NC. No AT hike this summer, tho - we're going to Philmont!

Why not start at Springer and work your way north? Keep the mileage and his packweight low so he enjoys himself!

Pagandaddy
05-07-2010, 11:24
Bigben: wOOt! Hopefully, some of the best years of you and your son's life are starting....

I started hiking with my youngest when he was 9. He did his first section on the AT when he was 10 - we started at Springer and went to 3 Forks.

10 year old on AT (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9360&catid=member&imageuser=6309)

With his brother at 3 Forks (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9361&c=member&imageuser=6309)

There are other pics of our hikes over the last several years in my gallery.

He's turning 15 in August. We did a 40 mile hike last June, and hiked into Nantahala Gorge, so have sectioned since he was 10 from Springer into NC. No AT hike this summer, tho - we're going to Philmont!

Why not start at Springer and work your way north? Keep the mileage and his packweight low so he enjoys himself!

I agree. My 6yo daughter and I started at Springer and made it to Hightower Gap in two days. One full Day in driving rain. I'm sure he could do better than that with a light pack. My daughters pack started at 11 lbs and got lighter as we ate. She had her blow up mattress 4lbs, bag 2lbs, snacks 3lbs, and a 2lb pack. Because it was her first time in the "real" woods I let her splurge on the bed. I had also packed food for 3 full days on trail.
-PDT

Pagandaddy
05-07-2010, 11:25
sorry about that quote screw up

JAK
05-07-2010, 19:31
I carry everything. She sets the pace. She is now 10, still weighs only 63 pounds, but has no trouble outhiking most adults. Your son is twice the outhiking size of my daughter. Still, you don't want to overburden them. That's the thing. A good rule of thumb is height squared over two. So for 5 feet tall, 12.5 pounds, max.

JAK
05-07-2010, 19:34
Sorry for the typo.
Don't know where the second outhiking came from.
I'm not even sure that it is a word.

Hoop Time
05-07-2010, 19:37
Interesting to hear all the Grayson Highlands suggestions in that a guy I was talking to Saturday when my one daughter and I stopped at Clarks Ferry Shelter for a break made the same suggestion as a good place to take her. He also mentioned Shenandoah part of Virginia.

The Pa. suggestion does offer the chance to visit Gettysburg, and after June 5, the AT Museum will be open at Pine Grove Furnace State Park, near the halfway point.

The Cumberland Valley is a pretty easy stretch, but lacks the wilderness experience of other areas because of crossing several major highways (I-81, US 11, Pa. Turnpike), but maybe something like Caledonia State Park to Boiling Springs (around 40 miles) might work. (Boiling Springs is well south of those highways)

mmais68569
05-07-2010, 20:14
come to the grayson highlands
I agree with Grayson Highlands, you can have a secure parking area & not that hard. You can also make the loop from Grayson Highlands, north on the AT till you join the Over Mountain trail & then go to Thomas Knob shelter rejoin the AT & back to Grayson Highlands. I do not know the mileage but should be one night spent at Thomas Knob or someplace near there on the trail.

Mike

just dad
05-07-2010, 22:10
Any section of the AT will work if you keep your kid's pack light and keep the mileage reasonably short. I started at Springer when my son was 7 and my daughter was 9. We only did 7 to 9 mile days that first year. Last year (my son was 9) and we hiked several 14+ mile days and one 18+ mile day. But I had to take nearly all the weight off my son to make the long distances. I suggest giving your son a reasonable expectation of what to expect. If you are going to be in a long green tunnel, you should tell him that. You should also tell him that parts of hiking are hard. As far as gear is involved, at that age he will outgrow shoes, clothes, and packs very quickly. My kids started in the Deuter Fox 30 packs (which are adjustable). I switched them to the much lighter Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet xs pack to shave a lot of weight. This year my daughter will be in a ULA Equipment pack.

Old Hiker
05-07-2010, 22:28
Also: if possible, get a GPS and start him hiking in an area with a lot of geo-caches. He can trade small trinkets and have a fun time looking for the cache. He can come up with his own geo-name, as well. Just make sure he understands that a SHORT one is best, as he has to sign every geo-cache log with that name! Our Scouts really like rolling the caches into a hike, as it's no longer a Death March in the Florida heat.

Pagandaddy
05-07-2010, 23:32
Also: if possible, get a GPS and start him hiking in an area with a lot of geo-caches.
Or go to atlasquest.com or letterboxing.org for more fun. Plus you get to carve your own stamps.

flemdawg1
05-10-2010, 13:35
You know, Shawnee State Forest in Southern Ohio is a little bland, but the hiking is mostly easy enough.

+1
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forests/shawnee/tabid/5166/Default.aspx

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/18/forests/pdf/Shawnee%20Backpack%20Broch_2.pdf

Darwin again
05-11-2010, 22:53
For the past four years, I've gone with a group of guys and their sons on a Father's Day three-day weekend hike somewhere on the AT. I think my friends' boys were about ten when we started these hikes.

For three years straight we hiked the Grayson Highlands and it was awesome every time. That time of June, the rhodies are blooming and the weather is fine up high, much cooler than down in the valleys. Last year we hiked the Roan and Humps and it was great. Both sections are spectacular, contain some of the finest scenery on the AT, and are easily broken into three fairly easy days.

Maryland would be really hot, humid and buggy that time of year.
I've got to agree with the Grayson suggestion...