PDA

View Full Version : cell phone signal GSMNP

Bear Cables
05-06-2010, 18:51
Wondering if anyone has experience with getting cell phone coverage anywhere between Newfound Gap and Davenport or even up to Max Patch road.If so about where or at what shelters or balds? My husband likes it if I can check in from time to time. Thinking about getting a SPOT but might want to call to double check if he got the OK message from it.

10-K
05-06-2010, 18:54
Spotty... I was able to call home a few times hiking through GSMNP but there were stretches with no signal. Verizon...

J-Fro
05-06-2010, 20:31
Spotty... I was able to call home a few times hiking through GSMNP but there were stretches with no signal. Verizon...

Ditto, have Verizon too and there are sections you have nothing. Max Patch is good on Verizon if I remember correctly.

double j
05-06-2010, 23:00
i had almost full signal i think at russel feild shelter and clingmans dome also on max patch

beartripper
05-07-2010, 11:35
Ice water springs no problem. Pecks corner I had to walk back up to the trail. Tricorner Knob, no problem. We had tree bears that put on a show here. Cosby Knob, no problem. Hope you
enjoy your hike.

Bear Cables
05-07-2010, 17:15
Ice water springs no problem. Pecks corner I had to walk back up to the trail. Tricorner Knob, no problem. We had tree bears that put on a show here. Cosby Knob, no problem. Hope you
enjoy your hike.

Thanks, that's excatly what I needed to know. As for the bears , what kind of show?I hear there is one around Cosby. But then aren't there always bears around Cosby. That's where I saw my first one :)

TIDE-HSV
05-09-2010, 01:47
T-Mobile is pretty much useless, in my experience...

Bear Cables
05-09-2010, 14:43
T-Mobile is pretty much useless, in my experience...

I have Verizon formely with Altell. Usually get good coverage.

sidebackside
05-09-2010, 18:08
I've been able to get service with US Cellular in alot of areas in the Smokies.

Swofford11
05-09-2010, 21:09
I was able to get a signal at almost every shelter and on top of any clear peaks with AT&T at night and most of the day.

It wasn't until I got off the AT that I lost my signal.....