PDA

View Full Version : Wierd hiking quirks

Sniddle
05-06-2010, 19:32
What are/were are some things that you do/have, rituals possibly, that make absolutely zero sense on your thru-hike? What silly some silly, non-sensical, stupid S#$% that you can't do without?

I heard of a GaMe guy 2 years ago when I was in around harpers Ferry section hiking, that carried a 5 pound welcome mat, and laid it in front of his tent every night.

warraghiyagey
05-06-2010, 19:58
I celebrate each morning on the trail by not wearing underwear. . . . which I never bring . . .

Gray Blazer
05-06-2010, 20:01
If you don't bring it ... how can you not wear it ... oh nevermind.

prain4u
05-06-2010, 20:11
Not too weird--but I always carry an extra change of clothing (that I almost never use). I keep it double bagged and dry--"just in case it is needed". I also always carry an extra day of food. I have done this for over 30 years.

I will cut grams from my pack weight in so many ways--but these two things are my "security blanket" to avoid hypothermia and hunger--and I won't cut them out--even though intellectually I know that I have survived 30+ years of hiking without ever HAVING to use them. (I have used them a couple times--just because they were there.)

10-K
05-06-2010, 20:57
One of my hiking poles has a label from the manufacturer on it.

The pole with the label HAS to be the one in my left hand....

warraghiyagey
05-06-2010, 21:17
One of my hiking poles has a label from the manufacturer on it.

The pole with the label HAS to be the one in my left hand....
I have two sticks nature made. . . the taller one always goes in the right hand. . . . .

maicheneb
05-06-2010, 21:54
I *always* take a picture of the trailhead sign, whether I had been there before or not.

Lone Wolf
05-06-2010, 21:59
i gravitate toward blue-blazes

Old Hiker
05-06-2010, 22:36
I've started touching every white blaze I see as I move down the trail.

JAK
05-06-2010, 22:52
For some reason I like to leave my headlamp home, and try to get by with just a candle lantern. I probably falls more into the category of wreckless stupidity, but I must ensure you all that my motives are entirely quirky. My fashion sense is pretty quirky. Functional for sure, but largely quirky.

In terms of quirky behaviour, not too much. I do like to take a dip in really cold water when I get a chance, even in winter, but I think that is fairly common. I like to get myself lost at least once each trip, just for the fun of figuring my way back out again. I think that might qualify. I've even walked back in the wrong direction a few times after stopping for tea, but that wasn't really intentional.

I've been meaning to find my way into the midde of the woods and just see how long I can sit in one place, but I haven't actually done that yet, at least not more than 30 minutes or so, and even then with something to do or something to think about.

JAK
05-06-2010, 22:54
For the most part, hiking in itself is quirky enough for most folks.

warraghiyagey
05-06-2010, 22:55
For some reason I like to leave my headlamp home, and try to get by with just a candle lantern. I probably falls more into the category of wreckless stupidity, but I must ensure you all that my motives are entirely quirky. .
This post should have ended here. . . .

Just Jeff
05-06-2010, 23:37
Hammocks are quirky, but I take them on every trip anyway. Y'all shouldn't. People will look at you funny and expect you to wake up with a crooked back.

Spokes
05-06-2010, 23:50
I ended up collecting Magic Hat beer tops- the sayings inside were pretty prophetic!

J-Fro
05-07-2010, 00:04
I have to fold all my clothes before I go on a trip, but only takes 1 change of clothes before I shove them in a stuff sack dirty.

gumball
05-07-2010, 05:23
When sectioning, touch the first white blaze on the trail with trekking pole or hand as we start and the last one as we leave the section we are doing.