PDA

View Full Version : What Is The "Perfect" 3 Day Hike In MD or PA?

delidiver
05-06-2010, 20:45
I am looking to go with my brother and a couple friends on a 3 day/2 night hike on the AT in either PA or MD. What spots offer the best "views"?
I saw a few older threads, but wanted to get a few more ideas.

We don't mind doing 15-25 miles p/day...so I am thinking in the 50-60 mile range total depending on trail conditions, elevation changes, etc.
My windows are either end of May or beginning of August.
Thanks in advance & I can't wait!:)

10-K
05-06-2010, 20:51
I am looking to go with my brother and a couple friends on a 3 day/2 night hike on the AT in either PA or MD. What spots offer the best "views"?
I saw a few older threads, but wanted to get a few more ideas.

We don't mind doing 15-25 miles p/day...so I am thinking in the 50-60 mile range total depending on trail conditions, elevation changes, etc.
My windows are either end of May or beginning of August.
Thanks in advance & I can't wait!:)

Harper's Ferry north for 3 days might not be too bad. At 25 miles per day you'd see all of MD and some of PA. Or even Penn Mar park north for 3 days - you'd go through a couple of state parks in PA and see some cool stuff.

hikersc1
05-07-2010, 10:16
I did PenMar to Harpers Ferry last July. Good campsites & shelters. One of them(Dahlgren Campgound even has showers. 2 of the State parks has restrooms & cold soda machines. To me it was a perfect 3 day hike. I actually took my time & did 3 and 1/2 days. It is about 42 miles from the Penn-MD border to the ATC center in Harpers Ferry

JAK
05-07-2010, 12:21
It begins with your boss giving you a raise, and a driving to the trail head. Your wife sends her regrets due to allergy season, but sends 2 very classy looking fashion models to go in her place. They are waiting for you as you arrive at the trail head, and turn out to be identical twins. What are the odds eh. They both make surprisingly good sherpas for fashion models, and one turns out to be an excellent cook. When you tear your hiking shorts and boxers on a tree on day 2, one of the models is kind enough to lend you hers. Amazingly, you find this resolves the chaffing problem that has been plaguing you for several years.

sly dog
05-07-2010, 12:57
At 25MPD dont think you'd have time to see the views other than a quick blur.LOL

Strategic
05-07-2010, 13:59
If it's really views that you're after, the absolute best section is between Port Clinton and Little Gap (really between Port Clinton and DWG, but that's farther than you indicated you'd like to hike.)

If you start in Port Clinton (a great place to get on-trail in PA, by the way) you can go north over both Pulpit Rock and the Pinnacle on your first day, with a stop at Eckville shelter for 16 miles the first day. That's a strenuous hike, with a lot of elevation change, but two of the best views in all of PA. Besides, Eckville is one of those "don't miss" shelters that are more like hiking hostels in other parts of the world.

Second day you could shoot for Bake Oven Knob shelter (17.6 miles) which would put you on the Knob itself to take in the late afternoon/evening sights (even sundown if you like; the shelter is a hard hike down from the Knob over rocky terrain, but it's very close.) The Knob is arguably the best view in PA, though plenty of folks will hold out for the Pinnacle. That's a day that starts and ends with serious climbing, but gets in a lot of views (Dan's Pulpit, Tri-County Corner, the Knife Edge ["The Cliffs"], Bear Rocks, and the Knob itself.) The middle parts are pretty good and fast hiking too, with a long stretch from near Tri-County to almost the Knife Edge (about 7-8 miles) of very good and relatively flat trail. The only caution about Bake Oven Knob shelter is to be sure to bring water with you and check the spring reports here carefully. The springs there are unreliable and the nearest water southbound is Tripoli campsite or Blue Mountain Summit.

The last day out could be pretty flexible, but I'd suggest pulling out at Little Gap. That let's you run the high ridgeline south and north of Lehigh Gap (very open and sweeping views) and climb into and (especially) north out of the gap itself, which is just a hell of a lot of fun. That would be 13 miles for the last day. If you still felt the need at the end, you could always climb the north side of Little Gap for the views from the rocks at the top. It's actually a pretty cool spot for a final view, as it looks back south over all the terrain you've just hiked to get there.

That's a 47 mile hike in three days over some very beautiful but rough terrain. If you're up for it physically, it's a fantastic hike.

ki0eh
05-08-2010, 21:38
If you want 3 days of views on a mod-high mileage PA hike the absolute best section is to take Standing Stone Trail (http://www.hike-sst.org/) from Three Springs borough north to Greenwood Furnace State Park or vice versa.

Dogwood
05-08-2010, 22:22
I like the idea of from Harper's Ferry(scenic place) on the AT to at least the PENN/MAR border with some viewing stop offs at Weaver Cliffs, Annapolis Rocks, and Black Rock. Some flat some up /down hiking, water is available, and some decent views along the way but largely a forested walk/hike. In the end you can say you hiked all the AT in Maryland.