PDA

View Full Version : Why the obsession with cell phone signals?

bigmac_in
05-07-2010, 08:13
Got on here this morning and noticed several threads regarding information on cell phone signals at different places along the trail.

Why the obsession? Turn your cell phone off, or don't take it. Cell phones are a fairly recent invention, people survived without them for many years. You don't need it. You might be surprised how much nicer your experience is without it.

P.S. - yes, I take mine along on my section hikes. It is off and deep in my pack. If I need it, it's there. If I don't get a signal when I need it, I'll figure something else out. It doesn't concern me.

That is all . . . :D

warraghiyagey
05-07-2010, 08:14
Got on here this morning and noticed several threads regarding information on cell phone signals at different places along the trail. . .

So you thought, "Hey, I'll start another one."

:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
05-07-2010, 08:15
Dork . . . . :)

J-Fro
05-07-2010, 08:19
Got on here this morning and noticed several threads regarding information on cell phone signals at different places along the trail.

Why the obsession? Turn your cell phone off, or don't take it. Cell phones are a fairly recent invention, people survived without them for many years. You don't need it. You might be surprised how much nicer your experience is without it.

P.S. - yes, I take mine along on my section hikes. It is off and deep in my pack. If I need it, it's there. If I don't get a signal when I need it, I'll figure something else out. It doesn't concern me.

I totally agree with you, however some people need/like to keep in touch with their families (wife and kids). I too keep mine deep in the pack. In the evenings I like to call to check on my daughters and wife. I also like to send pictures to let other people see what they are missing. But I agree, during the day it is off in the depths of my pack.

Monkeyboy
05-07-2010, 08:33
What's a "cell phone"?

Ender
05-07-2010, 08:38

I have a wife that I actually like to talk to... I'll bring my cell phone, thanks. :sun

Hikes in Rain
05-07-2010, 08:45
I'm one who's asked, so maybe I can help. It's not so much obsession, as common courtesy. I hike alone, generally; my wife isn't interested in long-distance hikes. (Long distance to her is anything over a couple of miles, and camping is out of the question) But she's happy to send me out, and to facilitate those hikes.

I carry my phone to check in with her from time to time. I did hike before cell, and it made her a little apprehensive. I check ahead for cell coverage so we can plan for areas where I can't call. If she's expecting a call and doesn't get it, she worries. If she knows signals are compromised, she knows I'll call when I can.

So, my posts are for planning purposes only. A section hikers perspective.

10-K
05-07-2010, 08:58
Why do people drive cars, we walked and rode horses for tens of thousands of years....

Without the cell phone, I wouldn't be hiking. Mine stays on most of the time and within reach.

I've got a wife, 3 kids and a business. I need to be accessible to all of them.

In a few years I hope to retire and scratch the business off the list but I'll still keep a phone handy for the family.

Dobie Swift
05-07-2010, 09:06
I'm one who's asked, so maybe I can help. It's not so much obsession, as common courtesy. I hike alone, generally; my wife isn't interested in long-distance hikes. (Long distance to her is anything over a couple of miles, and camping is out of the question) But she's happy to send me out, and to facilitate those hikes.

I carry my phone to check in with her from time to time. I did hike before cell, and it made her a little apprehensive. I check ahead for cell coverage so we can plan for areas where I can't call. If she's expecting a call and doesn't get it, she worries. If she knows signals are compromised, she knows I'll call when I can.

So, my posts are for planning purposes only. A section hikers perspective.

Ditto. One thing that has helped me alot is texting. Even if I don't have enough signal to complete a call, I can usually get a text to the wife even if I only have "one bar".

When mamma worries I end up hearing about it when I get home and am less likely to pull off another trip in the future.

Spokes
05-07-2010, 09:13

Why the obsession? .......

Sort of like fire to the caveman, stars to Copernicus, or the carbon filament to Edison I suppose.

modiyooch
05-07-2010, 09:14
My guess is that some parents and loved ones insist on it as a condition for hiking. Maybe others rely on it for scheduling shuttles when through. I have come out at road crossings and people are in a jam because of their lack of AT&T coverage. I let them borrow mine.
I consider it part as my first aid kit. I try not to turn it on because I don't even want to know the time.

Toolshed
05-07-2010, 09:16
Why do people drive cars, we walked and rode horses for tens of thousands of years....

I keep my horse deep in my pack........

Mags
05-07-2010, 09:31
Let's be honest..the simple reason that people carry cell phones, tracking devices, etc. is that as society we are used to 24/7 connectivity...and we (and our families) expect and want this connectivity in the woods, too.
Good? Bad? Dunno. It is a societal shift that is changing our jobs, recreation and other daily activities.

RollingStone
05-07-2010, 11:09

My blackberry 8530, with extra capacity batts, couple of different micro SD cards does the following items:

MP3 player
Have all of my mail drop, shuttle and town info stored in PDF files
Also has WiFi, allows me to upload my photos to Picasa at a hot spot
Also is my GPS (which is independent of the phone)
Keeps my trail journals, which then get uploaded to our stand alone Wordpress Blog
Allows me to record voice logs, and attach them to my Wodpress posts
Allows me to take photos of certain spots and Geotag them for later reference
Allows me to listen to Nascar on Sundays
Allows me to find any Major League baseball game and listen to it live
Keeps me in communication with my wife and family
Serves as an e-book reader

Backpacking anywhere is about the experience you as the individual perceive it to be. I happen to enjoy taking a break and listening to a ball game. I've known people to take AM radios into the woods to do the same thing. THAT enhances my own experience.

I'll be doing my thru with my 17 year old. Having all my info with me will help me simplify and keep track of what I need to for two people.

I like having an mp3 player to walk by every once in awhile,

I like running GPS routes and waypoints for certain things.

I like not having pen and paper to do a trail journal. I like being able to upload my journal in real time.

My cell phone with it's charger, extra capacity batts, and the unit itself is 8 ounces. It enhances my experience on trips in a variety of ways. I suspect that for many other people it will enhance their trip in some significant way and having the signals available just might be part of their plan.

Me? If I dont have signal, I'll just roll on until I do. Since I can do what I need to by either WiFi or 3G, it doesn't matter to me. But I do know that just because someone has a cell phone with them in the woods doesn't mean they aren't enjoying the experience any less than if they had left it at home.

garlic08
05-07-2010, 11:40
...You don't need it. You might be surprised how much nicer your experience is without it...

I'm with you on this one. One of the greatest pleasures of hiking, for me, is getting away from phones. I love technology, even made my living at it, but it sure is nice to get away from it sometimes and breathe a little sigh of relief.

But that's just me, and it doesn't bother me at all if others want a different experience. Just because I like to walk and bicycle around town, for instance, I'm not going to tell my neighbors they can't drive their cars to the grocery store. Whatever we think isn't going to make any difference, anyway. Might as well wish the tide won't come in.

Lone Wolf
05-07-2010, 12:04
What's a "cell phone"?

i ain't got one. never will

bulldog49
05-07-2010, 13:35

Why are you obsessed with people obsessing about cell phones? :confused:

Spokes
05-07-2010, 13:43

Yep, just look at that mug!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/customavatars/avatar6665_1.gif

RGB
05-07-2010, 14:15
It's a generation thing. Notice all the 50+'s agreeing with the OP.

I don't need a cell phone, but it's nice and considerate to keep in touch with loved ones. Also, with features such as camera, GPS, mp3, notepad...wow there goes 4 things I don't have to carry because my phone is all of them.

Until I need to use it, generally in town, I store the phone and battery separately. This saves power that can be lost as "phantom power" even when the phone is off. <--- Helpful Hint.

Dogwood
05-07-2010, 14:16
I think it ironic that those who seek to connect with the wilderness by hiking often find they have a very hard time disconnecting themselves from that which they are trying to escape! It points to the fact that humans are creatures of habit. We have addictions, obsessions. No doubt cell phone use is one of those obsessions!

And, yeah, despite many of the excuses like a cell ph is only for emergencies, etc, MUCH cell ph use is about mindless mundane trivial chatter or trying to alleviate someone else's fears of the big bad wilderness.

I have ample opportunity to observe how folks hike. I learn much about human behavior by doing this and can often tell by how folks behave while hiking how they are likely to behave while not hiking or being out on the trail. Hiking tourists in National Parks are a great example. They take a shotgun approach to hiking just like they lead their lives off the trail. I strongly suspect that hikers that have a hard time slowing down and drinking in the amazing scenery also lead their family and career lives this way too. People just can't focus. It's like the masses have Attention Deficit Disorder. They have to be doing a thousand tasks at once because that's what they are accustomed to and it shows up in thier hiking, which could be so much more if they only learned to let go of their non-trail life habits. I strongly suspect that hikers who approach their hikes with the attitude - if it's worth doing it's worth doing fast - lead ther lives off the trail the same way. I experience MANY hikers who have the hardest time quieting their minds. It's as if they hike like they are racing to a checkered flag. I suspect they are living their lives off the trail the same way. Often, I find similarities to how people hike with how they drive automobiles too. They might not realize it but they hike agressively with their egos on full tilt just like they drive their cars.

The obssession with cell phone use while on the trail is VERY MUCH a continuation of the same obssession with cell ph use while not hiking!

Miner
05-07-2010, 14:17
"Can you hear me now?"

My pet theory is that they all secretly work for Verizon Wireless as quality of service testers. As they are too lazy to actually go to a location themselves to test the service, they are getting us to help them fill out their reports. This way they can stay in starbucks all day without their boss catching on.

RollingStone
05-07-2010, 14:29
I think it ironic that those who seek to connect with the wilderness by hiking often find they have a very hard time disconnecting themselves from that which they are trying to escape! It points to the fact that humans are creatures of habit. We have addictions, obsessions. No doubt cell phone use is one of those obsessions!

Not everyone who hikes or backpacks is looking for an escape though. Living in the digital world means balance. You have to find balance with nature and your personal life. I go backpacking to enjoy the outdoors, not to escape from the city, or to escape from my work life. I go because I want to get outside and recreate.

A cell phone won't ruin anyone's back country experience, people do.

Ender
05-07-2010, 14:35
Not everyone who hikes or backpacks is looking for an escape though. Living in the digital world means balance. You have to find balance with nature and your personal life. I go backpacking to enjoy the outdoors, not to escape from the city, or to escape from my work life. I go because I want to get outside and recreate.

Very similar to what I was going to say. I'm not looking to escape... I'm perfectly happy with cell phones and email and websites and the digital world. I just also love the woods. These two things do not need to be completely separate.

M1 Thumb
05-07-2010, 14:56
As one of the conditions, as set by my wife, for my planned through hike next year is that I have to bring a phone. I hate my cell phone and it usually stays lost for days at a time but if having one will make her happy then I will carry one.

bigmac_in
05-07-2010, 15:38
Yep, just look at that mug!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/customavatars/avatar6665_1.gif

Now my feelings are hurt - that seems like a personal attack.

:D

bigmac_in
05-07-2010, 15:39

Not obsessed - confused.

bigmac_in
05-07-2010, 15:40
My blackberry 8530, with extra capacity batts, couple of different micro SD cards does the following items:

MP3 player
Have all of my mail drop, shuttle and town info stored in PDF files
Also has WiFi, allows me to upload my photos to Picasa at a hot spot
Also is my GPS (which is independent of the phone)
Keeps my trail journals, which then get uploaded to our stand alone Wordpress Blog
Allows me to record voice logs, and attach them to my Wodpress posts
Allows me to take photos of certain spots and Geotag them for later reference
Allows me to listen to Nascar on Sundays
Allows me to find any Major League baseball game and listen to it live
Keeps me in communication with my wife and family
Serves as an e-book reader

Backpacking anywhere is about the experience you as the individual perceive it to be. I happen to enjoy taking a break and listening to a ball game. I've known people to take AM radios into the woods to do the same thing. THAT enhances my own experience.

I'll be doing my thru with my 17 year old. Having all my info with me will help me simplify and keep track of what I need to for two people.

I like having an mp3 player to walk by every once in awhile,

I like running GPS routes and waypoints for certain things.

I like not having pen and paper to do a trail journal. I like being able to upload my journal in real time.

My cell phone with it's charger, extra capacity batts, and the unit itself is 8 ounces. It enhances my experience on trips in a variety of ways. I suspect that for many other people it will enhance their trip in some significant way and having the signals available just might be part of their plan.

Me? If I dont have signal, I'll just roll on until I do. Since I can do what I need to by either WiFi or 3G, it doesn't matter to me. But I do know that just because someone has a cell phone with them in the woods doesn't mean they aren't enjoying the experience any less than if they had left it at home.

I would recommend Myrtle Beach as a vacation for you.

bigmac_in
05-07-2010, 15:42

I don't need a cell phone, but it's nice and considerate to keep in touch with loved ones. Also, with features such as camera, GPS, mp3, notepad...wow there goes 4 things I don't have to carry because my phone is all of them.

Until I need to use it, generally in town, I store the phone and battery separately. This saves power that can be lost as "phantom power" even when the phone is off. <--- Helpful Hint.

Yeah, I use all that stuff on my phone too - not bad for an old geezer, huh? I just don't need it when I'm on the trail, and don't worry about whether I'm going to be able to or not. My wife knows I'll call her when I get OFF the trail.

RollingStone
05-07-2010, 15:44
I would recommend Myrtle Beach as a vacation for you.

You post a question which invites discussion, then you retort with some silly smart aleck comment?

This is pretty much inline with my last post about how people's experiences get ruined.

bigmac_in
05-07-2010, 15:45

People with cell phones do . . .:D

bigmac_in
05-07-2010, 15:46
You post a question which invites discussion, then you retort with some silly smart aleck comment?

This is pretty much inline with my last post about how people's experiences get ruined.

I'm sorry - I forgot this . . .:D

sheesh

10-K
05-07-2010, 16:50
I have a friend here in town who brags about not having a cell phone.

He's on the internet a good part of the day and checks his email constantly though....

Bear Cables
05-07-2010, 17:04
I carry my cell phone for contacting my loving husband when possible so he doesn't worry as much. Also you never know when you may need help. It stays turned off unless I am checking in. He also likes to hear how the day went for me.

Bear Cables
05-07-2010, 17:08
"Can you hear me now?"

My pet theory is that they all secretly work for Verizon Wireless as quality of service testers. As they are too lazy to actually go to a location themselves to test the service, they are getting us to help them fill out their reports. This way they can stay in starbucks all day without their boss catching on.

Well, last summer we shared Spence Field shelter with 3 guys who were engineers for Altell. They designed the phones.:-?

Dogwood
05-07-2010, 17:16

Sounds like the alcoholic telling folks why he doesn't really need to drink, he just seeks balance in the world he lives and alcohol helps him find that balance. You talk about living in a digital world and finding balance, but what kind of balance is that when you can't even envsion your life without a cell phone?

Ender
05-07-2010, 17:17
Sounds like the alcoholic telling folks why he doesn't really need to drink, he just seeks balance in the world he lives and alcohol helps him find that balance. You talk about living in a digital world and finding balance, but what kind of balance is that when you can't even envsion your life without a cell phone?

What kind of balance is that when you can't even envision going hiking with a cell phone? :rolleyes:

Feral Bill
05-07-2010, 17:54
[QUOTE=10-K;1009881] I need to be accessible to all of them.

QUOTE]

No, actually you don't. Neither does anyone else. The cell phone has created this expectation of people, turning a somewhat useful tool into an instrument of enslavement.

Lugnut
05-07-2010, 18:17
I have a friend here in town who brags about not having a cell phone.

He's on the internet a good part of the day and checks his email constantly though....

There's a guy like that in Damascus! :eek:

johnnybgood
05-07-2010, 18:30
There's a guy like that in Damascus! :eek:
Really!!! What's his name ? :D

double d
05-07-2010, 19:09

Great post! I'm gonna be in Vermont on the AT for a couple of weeks, can't wait to hear all the cell phones at night,"yea, mom, I'm okay, no need to worry, no big animals attacked me today"!!! Good lord, put the damn things away and please don't use them with other people around.

prain4u
05-07-2010, 19:19
1. Personally, I cannot begin to fathom why someone would want to remain "tethered" to the outside world during their hike--except for BRIEF contact with family members to let them know that you are O.K. or to check and see if all is O.K. at home. FOR ME having a cellphone turned on--and readily accessible-- defeats the entire purpose of going into the woods--because I go there to get away from it all (as much as possible).

2. However, I ultimately don't have to understand why some folks feel the overwhelming need to stay so very much connected to the outside world--nor do they have to understand why I do the things that I do. I get to hike my own hike and they get to hike their own hike.

3. That being said, I would like people to be courteous with their phone and electronic device usage. Out of respect for those who wish to get away from the outside world, I would prefer if hikers would go somewhere private and use their electronic devices. (I feel the same way about people who want to play musical instruments or have loud parties--please go somewhere private and please do not ruin the experience for other people).

I hate being in the woods and finding myself around someone who is chatting loudly on a phone for extended periods--(or typing away on a computer, texting on their phone or playing music on a radio/MP3 player). If I wanted to be around such things--and their noise---I would have stayed back at the office or at home.

10-K
05-07-2010, 20:18
1. Personally, I cannot begin to fathom why someone would want to remain "tethered" to the outside world during their hike--except for BRIEF contact with family members to let them know that you are O.K. or to check and see if all is O.K. at home. FOR ME having a cellphone turned on--and readily accessible-- defeats the entire purpose of going into the woods--because I go there to get away from it all (as much as possible).

So, let's say you have a small business with 12 employees and part of your job is negotiating contracts, bidding on jobs and being available for your clients.

Add to that a wife and 3 kids.

That's my situation. I can take my cell phone and hike, or I can stay home.

I consider it a minor miracle that I'm able to take off for 2 months to finish the trail next week. Part of that arrangement is that I will have my cell phone and be available to make business decisions.

It's not the best situation, but hey - I'm 48 years old and I hope to retire in 2 years so maybe being tethered to a cell phone for just a bit longer isn't such a bad deal after all.

Dogwood
05-07-2010, 20:21
What kind of balance is that when you can't even envision going hiking with a cell phone? :rolleyes:

If that is aimed at me I will gladly answer the question. I can envision a hike with or without a cell ph. FOR ME, having a cell ph or being "connected" digitally is not an addiction, an obssession. Sometimes I carry a cell ph on my hikes and sometimes I don't. BUT, for me, I don't treat a cell ph like oxygen or water or nourishment. A cell ph is only a tool. And, a tool that is NOT a necessity. I don't feel naked if I don't have a cell ph while hiking. It wouldn't be the end of my world if I lost my cell ph or it wouldn't work on a hike.

What I'm saying is that cell phones and their use while hiking is neither necessarily bad or good. I would just like to see more hikers experience the possibility of a greater freedom and connection with wilderness by leaving the cell phones at home when hiking.

I'll refer back to a line in Bigmac's original post. - You just might be surprised how much nicer your (hiking) experience is without it(a cell ph). -

bigmac_in
05-07-2010, 20:31
Great post! I'm gonna be in Vermont on the AT for a couple of weeks, can't wait to hear all the cell phones at night,"yea, mom, I'm okay, no need to worry, no big animals attacked me today"!!! Good lord, put the damn things away and please don't use them with other people around.

Thank you.:D

RGB
05-07-2010, 20:48
Well, I'm going to make sure I use my phone in private if I have to use it on the trail. I have a feeling there are some people out there that would actually confront me about it. Which goes back to the above post about people ruining hikes, not phones.....

HYOH
HYOH
HYOH
HYOH
HYOH
:banana

RollingStone
05-07-2010, 20:50

That's an incorrect analogy of my statement. I can AND do go hiking without my phone on many occasions. However, as I have pointed out in my original post, my phone is more than a phone and I enjoy it as a convenience but to take the statement and assume someone CANT envision hiking without one doesn't make sense and doesn't compare to an alcoholic.

When I spoke of balance, it was meant to be taken literally. I grew up going to the park on weekends and playing pickup baseball, swimming in the pond, etc. We didn't have Nintendo or Xbox and living on a farm 2 miles from town, we had 3 television channels. You HAD to be active to have fun as a kid.

Nowadays, kids do not have that balance. They are raised on their PC's, Phones, Nintendo DS, etc. THAT is what I meant and is a correct analogy of "Balance". Not a comparison to an alcoholic and a bad assumption.

Ender
05-07-2010, 21:18
FOR ME, having a cell ph or being "connected" digitally is not an addiction, an obssession. Sometimes I carry a cell ph on my hikes and sometimes I don't.

Me neither. I've hiked both without (my AT thru and my 1000 miles on the PCT), and with (tons of week/weekend hikes since then).

I don't treat a cell ph like oxygen or water or nourishment. A cell ph is only a tool. And, a tool that is NOT a necessity. I don't feel naked if I don't have a cell ph while hiking. It wouldn't be the end of my world if I lost my cell ph or it wouldn't work on a hike.

Me neither.

What I'm saying is that cell phones and their use while hiking is neither necessarily bad or good.

I agree with you completely on this point.

I would just like to see more hikers experience the possibility of a greater freedom and connection with wilderness by leaving the cell phones at home when hiking.

I don't care what other hikers do, or do not do, as long as it doesn't affect others. And them having a cell phone in their pack doesn't, not really.

I'll refer back to a line in Bigmac's original post. - You just might be surprised how much nicer your (hiking) experience is without it(a cell ph). -

Done it. Liked it. Like hiking with a cell phone too.

My point was, some are making it seem like carrying a cellphone is the worst sin towards hiking, because hiking is "supposed" to be about getting away from civilization... hiking isn't supposed to be about any one thing for everyone; Instead, it's a bunch of different things for each individual.

There's no right or wrong here.... just different ways of doing things. But for people to pretend that they can't imagine a single reason to carry a cellphone... it's just disrespect towards others and their right to hike their own hike. We can all imagine a reason to carry a cell phone... we may not like that reason, it may not work for us individually, but it works for others.
:sun

Miner
05-07-2010, 21:20
When I hiked the PCT last year, I was awakened by the call at 6am. NO, not the call of the wild. Not the call of dawn. But the call of the guy in his not so soundproof tent with his phone on speaker mode and the volume turned up. I got to clearly hear both sides of the conversation form 20ft away. And it wasn't just one call.

I don't mind seeing electronics in the outdoors, I just expect people to use them in a courteous manner. So try to be discrete and quiet about it. Thats all I ask.

When I hiked the PCT, I carried a cell, but other then typing my journal up (but I camped alone most nights), I rarely used it to call/text ourside of town. Fortunately on the PCT, you don't have very good coverage in most places so its rarely an issue. I do admit to turning it on when I was on the summit of Mt. Whitney (highest pt in the lower 48), but I instantly regretted it. My neice had text me that she had used all the money I left her to take care of my home/dogs in less then 2months. So don't do it. Keep it turned off or you'll deeply regret it like me.

Ender
05-07-2010, 21:23
Well, I'm going to make sure I use my phone in private if I have to use it on the trail.

I believe that this is an important point. With the right to carry the cell phone into the woods, those that do also have to remember that others don't want to be around cell phones out in the woods. Respect your fellow hikers. Discrete use is very important.

Turn the ringer off and left on vibrate if you leave the phone on, and be far away from others when talking on the phone... in the middle of the woods, there's little excuse for interrupting others with your cellphone use. There's plenty of space to get some privacy.

prain4u
05-07-2010, 21:29
If that is aimed at me I will gladly answer the question. I can envision a hike with or without a cell ph. FOR ME, having a cell ph or being "connected" digitally is not an addiction, an obsession. Sometimes I carry a cell ph on my hikes and sometimes I don't. BUT, for me, I don't treat a cell ph like oxygen or water or nourishment. A cell ph is only a tool. And, a tool that is NOT a necessity. I don't feel naked if I don't have a cell ph while hiking. It wouldn't be the end of my world if I lost my cell ph or it wouldn't work on a hike.

What I'm saying is that cell phones and their use while hiking is neither necessarily bad or good. I would just like to see more hikers experience the possibility of a greater freedom and connection with wilderness by leaving the cell phones at home when hiking.

I really appreciate this post--especially the highlighted sections.

I wear many different "hats" in my life. Among other things, I am an addictions counselor in a university town. I am also a National Guard chaplain. In both of those positions I encounter hundreds of people who are "under age 40". When the addictions center director or the military Commander put forth rules banning cell phones or the internet--many of these "young" people become angry and irritable to the point of physical violence or throwing tantrums.

They are literally addicted to their electronic technology.

I wish more of them (when hiking) would try to go through "electronic detox" and spend 7-30 days without their electronic gadgets. I would invite them to try to experience the woods "gadget free" for that period of time.

I am guessing that many of them couldn't (or wouldn't) be able to do it. I find it sad that they are so hooked on electronic devices.

prain4u
05-07-2010, 21:49
My point was, some are making it seem like carrying a cellphone is the worst sin towards hiking, because hiking is "supposed" to be about getting away from civilization... hiking isn't supposed to be about any one thing for everyone; Instead, it's a bunch of different things for each individual.

There's no right or wrong here.... just different ways of doing things. But for people to pretend that they can't imagine a single reason to carry a cellphone... it's just disrespect towards others and their right to hike their own hike. We can all imagine a reason to carry a cell phone... we may not like that reason, it may not work for us individually, but it works for others.

If you were referring to one of my previous posts--please permit me to clarify...in case I wasn't clear.

I made three points in that post. In point # 1--I was speaking only about MYSELF and not other hikers. Frankly, I really DON'T understand why someone would choose to be tethered to a cellphone on a hike. I couldn't/wouldn't do it. (I am also wanting to make a sharp distinction between someone carry/using a cellphone and someone being tethered to a cellphone like a life-giving umbilical cord. I have seen people who literally spent MANY HOURS each day talking or texting while hiking and camping. I PERSONALLY think that is rather ridiculous (even when one is not on the trail).

In Point # 2--I stated that I don't have to understand their reasons for doing what they do--nor do they have to understand my reasons for doing what I do. To each their own--HYOH.

Again, I wish to repeat that I make a BIG distinction between someone carrying/using a cellphone and someone being almost glued to their cellphone (and imposing that nearly constant noise and chatter upon those around them).

Ender
05-07-2010, 21:57
If you were referring to one of my previous posts-

I wasn't, no worries. In fact I understood you perfectly, and agree with much of what you said. :)

You do bring up a good point that I wanted to mention earlier though... I'm not talking about people with actual addiction problems. I just talking about people who like to bring their phones into the woods so that they can still talk with their family/job/whoever they want. Like you had said, people with actual addiction issues are a whole different can o' worms.

So, I think we're on the same page. :sun

prain4u
05-07-2010, 22:29
Ender: Darn! I don't want to be on the same page as anyone else! I like being unique and "contrary"!

I see you are from NYC. I was recently in NYC for a week of tourism, plays, sightseeing etc. I got home a week ago today. We had rented an apartment on 49th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues--just off of Times Square and next to Rockefeller Plaza. The neat thing about that location was that anything that I could possibly want (except vast areas of wilderness) was located just a short walking distance from my door. (I currently live in an area where a good grocery store is a 45 mile roundtrip. So, the close proximity of everything in NYC was quite the pleasant change for me).

Mags
05-08-2010, 00:48
My girlfriend is in the Utah desert right now doing some technical canyoneering for nine days.

She is with people who are excellent navigators. Comfortable in the outdoors. Have excellent climbing skills. She's pretty comfortable herself in outdoors.

She does not have a cell phone, SPOT, satellite phone or even a carrier pigeon. I briefly talked to her on the phone last Friday when she was at a rest stop in Green River, UT.

I won't hear from her again until she shows up this Sunday sometime in the evening.

I am jealous as hell.

But I'm OK she is off the grid for nine days...and even support it.

warraghiyagey
05-08-2010, 09:35
Yeah, I use all that stuff on my phone too - not bad for an old geezer, huh? I just don't need it when I'm on the trail, and don't worry about whether I'm going to be able to or not. My wife knows I'll call her when I get OFF the trail.
:sun:sun:sun

fw2008
05-08-2010, 10:23
I always take my cell phone on hikes (even day hikes), but leave it off.
I would certainly have it on any long hikes, but would not use it except to call home once in a while (and I would always try to do that from a town, not on the trail), and of course in case of a true emergency (one where I believe that I could actually bring help by using the phone, not calling 9-1-1 from the summit of Clingmans Dome.

As for signals? who knows. You can't depend on cell phone signals, so why worry about where they are, and where they are not.
Whether or not you get a signal depends on whether or not you have a line-of-sight path between you and the cell tower, and on the sensitivity of your phone's receiver (since most of the transmitters are the same power).

If I come across another hiker "gabbing" on his or her cell phone, I would ask that person whether the call is necessary. I like to enjoy an environment away from these gadgets that have encumbered our lives so thoroughly at home and at work (and everywhere in-between).

FW

woodsy
05-08-2010, 10:58
We still use smoke signals to communicate up this way.....

Hikes in Rain
05-08-2010, 11:21
We don't worry so much about signals. It's nice to have a reasonable expectation, which members always seem to be happy to provide based on their experience, but in the end, signals are either there or not. I try voice first, then text. Then wait a bit for her to try; sometimes calls work better the other way. If that doesn't work, then we just wait until the next check time. Sooner or later the magic works.

Other than the previously agreed-upon check-in times, it's off and in the pack (in a baggie).

warraghiyagey
05-08-2010, 11:24
We still use smoke signals to communicate up this way.....
Mmmmmmm . . . . . smoke signals. . . . . mmmmmmmm
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/1/6/0/1/3/a2970114-48-drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

Fiddleback
05-08-2010, 12:25
Sounds like a few are controlled by their cell phone instead of controlling their cell phone.

I've carried a cell phone in town and on trips (no service at home) for about 10 years. I've made probably a dozen calls and received one. Why? Because I have no desire and no need to be continually 'connected'. But it's a great little device to call for help (again, when there's service...). The one incoming call I received was a response to requested auto assistance.

As for the trail, I'd carry one if I hiked in areas that had service. I think it's a good safety/emergency help device and, for the weight, it should be part of one's standard gear.

But, I can't imagine hiking with it turned on. I don't even carry it turned on in town.:D

FB

Bulldawg
05-08-2010, 12:45
How about the guy I hiked with a few weeks back. The guy became very ill towards the middle of the second day out. He was resting on top of a mountain and told us all to go on, he would be OK and catch up later. He did not get to feeling any better and had to call for a shuttle. I think he got dehydrated, but I'm not a doctor. Anyway, sure, we would have gotten worried about him and eventually got him off the mountain, but because he had his cell phone and had reception he was able to call a shuttle and walk the short distance to the road and get back into town to recoup.

I don't leave my phone on at all times, but I definitely carry it. I call in to the wife and kids every night, if I can. I hurt no one by doing so. If I am around strangers I even go out of sight to make that phone call. It's just common courtesy. Common courtesy would go a long ways towards solving most of the earth changing issues all of you like to argue about here on WB. Think about it!!

DavidNH
05-08-2010, 13:13
thank you Dogwood for you post. You are so totally right on in your observations about hikers. Personally, I don't think most AT hikers are truly out there for the wilderness experience. Some would probably bring a fully functional laptop if they could. Wait a sec, actually some DO.

I use the internet and email plenty. But I take it as source of pride NOT to own a cell phone. If I did, I'd leave it in the car though. I damn sure would not want it on the trail on a long distance hike. I go hiking to get away from it all, not to take it all with me. but the youth of today (teens, 20's 30's) are so connected and wired I bet the wouldn't last a day in the woods without their dear wireless where they could carry on useless cell phone banter and im their friends.

Oh, ya really gotta love this new twitter thing. "hey honey, I'm on the porch." "Honey, I am crossing my first stream now."

David

Lone Wolf
05-08-2010, 13:39
If I come across another hiker "gabbing" on his or her cell phone, I would ask that person whether the call is necessary. I like to enjoy an environment away from these gadgets that have encumbered our lives so thoroughly at home and at work (and everywhere in-between).

FW

that's really none of your business. people have the right to "gab" all they want

kayak karl
05-08-2010, 13:41
these guys were old of touch for 2 year. no phone, internet, mp3.....nothing. how did they do it??????:confused:
hikers (http://lewisandclarkjournals.unl.edu/index.html)
(http://lewisandclarkjournals.unl.edu/index.html)

Tuckahoe
05-08-2010, 14:29
This thread is sure full of worry about what other hikers do. I couldn't care less whether a hiker had a cell phone or not. Take care of yourself and worry less about other hikers.

StubbleJumper
05-08-2010, 17:43
So you thought, "Hey, I'll start another one."

:rolleyes:

Yawn. Why don't we also start yet another thread about handguns?

10-K
05-08-2010, 17:46
Yawn. Why don't we also start yet another thread about handguns?

And marijuana....

fw2008
05-08-2010, 17:55
that's really none of your business. people have the right to "gab" all they want
Not in Baxter sp they don't.

fw2008
05-08-2010, 18:19
Sorry Lone Wolf. You're right. There's no law against using a cell phone, except in a few places (Baxter SP is one where they prohibit the use except for emergencies), and even there I think it's mainly in the park, and not on the trails.

It might bug me a bit, but in the end, all I would have to do is pass the party, and move on :)

Enuf said. I've been spending way too much time online. Time to get out on the trail !

FW

Blissful
05-08-2010, 18:56
I have a wife that I actually like to talk to... I'll bring my cell phone, thanks. :sun

:) Put hubby in place of wife and you have my take.

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2010, 19:25
:D
I keep my horse deep in my pack........

Hmmm I have several horsepower in my pack and....

The cell phone is clearly my tether to my wife....

Make sure you can run to the end of your leash and bark....:D

br_oken
05-08-2010, 19:44
Doesn't this fall under the umbrella of HYOH?

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2010, 19:45
Yes........................................

Jonnycat
05-08-2010, 20:20
It's like walking in the mall, except there are trees!

double d
05-09-2010, 02:38
This thread is sure full of worry about what other hikers do. I couldn't care less whether a hiker had a cell phone or not. Take care of yourself and worry less about other hikers.

While I agree with your overall philosophy and I mean no offense to you, but...... I'll bet you wouldn't say that if someone didn't respect your privacy while they were talking "softly" on a cell phone while your trying to hike the AT.

Tuckahoe
05-09-2010, 07:50
While I agree with your overall philosophy and I mean no offense to you, but...... I'll bet you wouldn't say that if someone didn't respect your privacy while they were talking "softly" on a cell phone while your trying to hike the AT.

I take no offense. But you would lose that bet. Its not something that I see worth getting bent out of shape over and I just dont see it as disrespecting my privacy if someone is talking on their cell phone around me.

10-K
05-09-2010, 08:47
Out of the 1400 or so miles of the trail I've hiked I don't think I've ever passed anybody on the trail talking on their cell phones.

I can't recall but a few times I've seen people using a cell phone other than in town/at a store or a trailhead.

Even I, the one who carries an extra battery and leaves his phone on most of the time, only use the phone a few minutes a day at most.

It's not about talking on the phone and sending texts all day like a crackhead who can't leave technology behind.

It's about:

A) Being available to those at home in case of an emergency

B) Being accessible to my company so the business can operate smoothly in my physical absence. I am, quite literally, making hay while the sun shines. In 2 years, when I turn 50, I plan to retire from the rat race.

Being able to retire when most people are still tethered to credit card bills, mortgages and car payments in exchange for working hard for a few years is a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make.

double d
05-09-2010, 08:54
I take no offense. But you would lose that bet. Its not something that I see worth getting bent out of shape over and I just dont see it as disrespecting my privacy if someone is talking on their cell phone around me.

Okay, Thanks for responding Tuckahoe64 to my statement, fair enough of an answer.

Sly
05-09-2010, 11:22

Ah, rather than the cell phone, why not bring your wife? :-?

Ender
05-09-2010, 11:52
Ah, rather than the cell phone, why not bring your wife? :-?

She's not a hiker, though we have done a couple of trips together over the years. :sun

mateozzz
05-09-2010, 13:57
One thought I've had over the years is that excessive cell phone usage is a refreshing sign of how social humans are. In the 80's there was all sorts of worries about how disconnected we were getting. People commuted to work, worked in a cubicle, didn't know their neighbors, and watched TV at night. Walking around the block or sitting on the porch was becoming antiquated. Little did we know that the cell phone would provide a way to connect socially with anyone, anytime. Like a lot of you, I find it annoying to be forced to listen to other people's inane conversations, but would you like to listen to anyone's non-cell phone conversation if it didn't involve you or something you were interested in? The cell-phone just moved the conversation from the front yard to the check out line at the grocery store.

But in the end, the AT is a social journey and some sections are for people looking for a quick jaunt who don't want to leave any niceties behind and others for people looking for a spiritual journey into the wilderness. Unfortunately, trying to do both of those on the same section doesn't work too well. But just breath deep, relax, and deal with it.

BTW, I carry a cell-phone, off, only for getting rides and emergencies. But, HYOH.

bigmac_in
05-09-2010, 16:49
How about the guy I hiked with a few weeks back. The guy became very ill towards the middle of the second day out. He was resting on top of a mountain and told us all to go on, he would be OK and catch up later. He did not get to feeling any better and had to call for a shuttle. I think he got dehydrated, but I'm not a doctor. Anyway, sure, we would have gotten worried about him and eventually got him off the mountain, but because he had his cell phone and had reception he was able to call a shuttle and walk the short distance to the road and get back into town to recoup.

I don't leave my phone on at all times, but I definitely carry it. I call in to the wife and kids every night, if I can. I hurt no one by doing so. If I am around strangers I even go out of sight to make that phone call. It's just common courtesy. Common courtesy would go a long ways towards solving most of the earth changing issues all of you like to argue about here on WB. Think about it!!

Hey 'Dawg ! Sup?

You make a point, buy maybe it's time I re-focused. I didn't mean this thread to be a debate on cell phones. Personally, I think they are a nuisance on the trail, but if someone wants to use one, go ahead. My hiking buddy, The Piddler uses his a lot. Way too much in my opinion, and I give him a bunch of crap about it.

Anyway, my original point was - why worry so much about signal? If you don't have signal in the section you ask about, does that mean you aren't going to hike? As I've stated, I take mine, but I don't use it. It's mainly for shuttle calls, much like you mentioned. If you didn't have signal, I'm sure your group would have got your friend down.

Although, if you are talking about who I think you are - I would have just found a cliff to push him off. :D:D:D

bigmac_in
05-09-2010, 16:55
My girlfriend is in the Utah desert right now doing some technical canyoneering for nine days.

She is with people who are excellent navigators. Comfortable in the outdoors. Have excellent climbing skills. She's pretty comfortable herself in outdoors.

She does not have a cell phone, SPOT, satellite phone or even a carrier pigeon. I briefly talked to her on the phone last Friday when she was at a rest stop in Green River, UT.

I won't hear from her again until she shows up this Sunday sometime in the evening.

I am jealous as hell.

But I'm OK she is off the grid for nine days...and even support it.

Dammit Mags - one more reason you suck. :D

It's not enough you get to go out and have all that fun? Now you have to tell us you have a great girlfriend? Suck. :D:D:D

Mags
05-09-2010, 17:19
Dammit Mags - one more reason you suck. :D

It's not enough you get to go out and have all that fun? Now you have to tell us you have a great girlfriend? Suck. :D:D:D

Yeah...she's pretty awesome. :)

She mandates that we must have a real tent. (no tarps or cowboy camping!), but I ain't gonna complain! :banana

bigmac_in
05-09-2010, 17:57
Yeah...she's pretty awesome. :)

She mandates that we must have a real tent. (no tarps or cowboy camping!), but I ain't gonna complain! :banana

If you complained I would track you down and beat the snot out of you. You are a lucky man.

Tin Man
05-09-2010, 18:12
Last month on the AT in CT/MA, our scout group separated into three groups. The older boys, the younger boys with a guy carrying a GPS, and the kid who's pack was bigger than him. I used my cell phone to keep in touch and make sure everyone was on track. I had to ask the guy with the GPS (and his preloaded track from last year's hike - same route) if he checked the GPS lately and maybe he ought to look at it and get back on the trail.

Here's another phone 'toy' that is kind of fun... click here
(http://www.google.com/sky/skymap/)

Graywolf
05-09-2010, 19:54
When I was on the trail last year, I took my phone but I too kept it in my pack. When I arrived at Hawk Mountain Shelter I was just curious of the signal (I have AT&T) and yes I had a signal. So I called home and then a couple of friends, basically just bragging about where I was.. Then it occured to me the phone was out of place.. It did not fit in the reason I was out there.. So I put it in my pack and not once used it again till I came home..

What a relief!!

Graywolf

Tuckahoe
05-10-2010, 09:05
Okay, Thanks for responding Tuckahoe64 to my statement, fair enough of an answer.

Double d, I hope that you do not htink I am trying to be difficult. I just feel that there is no need to let little things in life that I have no control over bother me. I find that I enjoy life a whole lot better that way. In the end to me some stranger chattering away on their cell phone is no different than two strangers chattering away to each other.

fw2008
05-10-2010, 09:40
And then there are the "walkie talkie" phones. You hear not only the one side, but both sides of the conversation. And you hear those annoying little beeps.
I used to work at a place where several of the employees used them, and always had them turned up so loud, you could hear them across the parking lot.

Thankfully though, I haven't heard many of those recently, and never while I'm running in parks or hiking trails.

On the humorous side; I was running through a park and the person walking towards me was saying something. I thought she was talking to me, but it turned out she was on the phone with a hands-free device.
It looks really strange to see people walking around seemingly talking to themselves.

I wonder how many people really DO talk to themselves, but are using the phone to make it look like they're talking to someone else :banana

FW

sbhikes
05-10-2010, 10:17
The only real problem I have with cellphones is that the constant connectivity is becoming a mandate. It's great that people can go for a hike for two months and still do their jobs, but that is a two-edged blessing. If it becomes possible for the boss to have that "freedom", then how will the rest of us plebes get to take a two month vacation without being expected to work?

The other mandate now is that some people consider you to be irresponsible if you go into the wilderness without a phone or SPOT. It's fine if you want all that safety and security, but it makes it harder for those of us who feel we don't need this to do things our way.

I brought a cellphone on the PCT and was happy to have it. I used it to keep in touch. I didn't use it very often. I am not against cellphones.

I do kind of feel bothered by this new situation that seems to be happening where people have all these phone numbers pre-loaded so when they approach a town they just call someone for a ride and arrange their hotel accommodations before they arrive. I suppose I shouldn't be bothered by what other people do, but with the water caches and now even little stores popping up on the trail it kind of takes the "seat of the pants" adventure out of things. Makes it too easy. Lowers the bar so more idiots can get into trouble, too.

I tried the pre-arranged ride once on the PCT but it didn't work out for me. When I got to the pre-arranged meeting place two hours early there was somebody there willing to give me a ride right then. I canceled the pre-arranged ride. I decided that trail magic and serendipity would do the job well enough and just went with that from then on and had some of the most amazing adventures of my life.

People who rely too much on cellphones are starting to morph the meaning of trail magic and trail angels to mean mundane things like coolers of soda (often with advertisements for accommodations in town) and people who you can call to give you a ride when it used to mean learning about the gift economy of the trail, how it takes care of you when you let it. I feel sad that people are missing out on that very special magic.

prain4u
05-10-2010, 11:18
The only real problem I have with cellphones is that the constant connectivity is becoming a mandate. It's great that people can go for a hike for two months and still do their jobs, but that is a two-edged blessing. If it becomes possible for the boss to have that "freedom", then how will the rest of us plebes get to take a two month vacation without being expected to work?

The other mandate now is that some people consider you to be irresponsible if you go into the wilderness without a phone or SPOT. It's fine if you want all that safety and security, but it makes it harder for those of us who feel we don't need this to do things our way.

I brought a cellphone on the PCT and was happy to have it. I used it to keep in touch. I didn't use it very often. I am not against cellphones.

I do kind of feel bothered by this new situation that seems to be happening where people have all these phone numbers pre-loaded so when they approach a town they just call someone for a ride and arrange their hotel accommodations before they arrive. I suppose I shouldn't be bothered by what other people do, but with the water caches and now even little stores popping up on the trail it kind of takes the "seat of the pants" adventure out of things. Makes it too easy. Lowers the bar so more idiots can get into trouble, too.

I tried the pre-arranged ride once on the PCT but it didn't work out for me. When I got to the pre-arranged meeting place two hours early there was somebody there willing to give me a ride right then. I canceled the pre-arranged ride. I decided that trail magic and serendipity would do the job well enough and just went with that from then on and had some of the most amazing adventures of my life.

People who rely too much on cellphones are starting to morph the meaning of trail magic and trail angels to mean mundane things like coolers of soda (often with advertisements for accommodations in town) and people who you can call to give you a ride when it used to mean learning about the gift economy of the trail, how it takes care of you when you let it. I feel sad that people are missing out on that very special magic.

SB HIKES: I agree with your post. Great points! Thanks!

Personally, I am not totally against change. Change is a good thing. I simply dislike change which I cannot easily "opt out" of--if I so desire.

Your post highlights how SOME people's desire for change (especially in the area of electronic connectivity) can soon morph into a situation where MOST of us are practically "required" to change along with them. Your examples were SPOT on. (I couldn't resist the pun!)

Most other "changes" in trail technology don't really have as much impact upon OTHER people as the current electronic developments. If someone chooses to hike with a heavy canvas pack and heavy a canvas tent (or with 100% ultra light equipment), their use of such equipment has virtually NO impact upon the hikers around them.

Conversely, when people consistently (and blatantly) use their cellphones and computers during their hike--it CAN impact other hikers and it CAN change the very nature of the outdoor experience for other people. Again, thanks for pointing out some good examples of this phenomenon.

Tinker
05-10-2010, 11:31

Same here. I worry about:
1) That my wife may be worried about Me (so I call her every so often).
2) That someone else without a cell phone may get injured and that I may be their only link to help (via my cell phone).
Yes, I always carry it (sometimes I leave my camera at home - which I never used to do - after a while all the mountains look alike, and I can store other hikers' pictures on my cell phone.

prain4u
05-10-2010, 12:10
..... In the end to me some stranger chattering away on their cell phone is no different than two strangers chattering away to each other.

I am glad that you see no difference. I really am happy for you. Unfortunately, I am different.

FOR ME a person "chattering away on their cellphone" can often be a very different sort of experience than two physically present people "chattering away to each other".

1) There are many people who just can't seem to talk on a cell phone without practically shouting (or without being inconsiderate and rude). We have all seen this phenomenon in stores, restaurants, elevators, theaters and on the street. Numerous people can be having "live" conversations all around us and we will hardly even notice them. However, in the midst of that crowd, we just can't help but notice that one loud jerk who is practically shouting into their cellphone (and who often has their phone on "speaker" too!). Their electronic discussion really DOES stand out from all of the other people who are talking face-to-face.

2) People who are talking "live" to each other don't usually begin their conversations with an extremely loud and obnoxious ringtone. When two physically present people pass written notes back and forth to each other, they don't usually announce each new note with a loud musical tone. This is a key difference between "live" conversations and "cellphone" conversations.

(I think that we have all encountered the jerks with the loud and obnoxious ringtones who apparently seem to think that we should all be amused and entertained by the free "concert" that they are giving us each time that they receive a phone call or text message).

The majority of people are usually able to operate their electronic gadgets in a discrete and respectful manner which does not negatively impact the people around them(even on the trail).

Unfortunately, there is also a fairly large minority who just can't seem to operate their electronic devices without disturbing (and annoying?) the people around them. I think that is the reason why this thread is of such interest to some people--we have had some pretty memorable encounters with that "large minority" who choose to use their electronic devices in an inconsiderate manner.

double d
05-10-2010, 12:51
Double d, I hope that you do not htink I am trying to be difficult. I just feel that there is no need to let little things in life that I have no control over bother me. I find that I enjoy life a whole lot better that way. In the end to me some stranger chattering away on their cell phone is no different than two strangers chattering away to each other.

Hey, no problem at all Tuckahoe64, I like how you employ your logic in your interactions with cell phone users when you encounter them on the trail. Thank you for taking the time to answer to my question to you.

10-K
05-12-2010, 07:33

Well, I would hazard a guess that if most plebes asked for 6 months off the odds are the answer would be "no".

However, what if you wanted to do a thru hike and your boss, instead of saying no, told you that you could go and your job would be waiting for you if you would take a cell phone and be available in the event any questions came up that were related to your position while you were away.

I guess there are some hard core folks here that do not place a premium on work and making a living, but most likely they don't have a family counting on them for support.

So, do you quit your job and hike, stay at your job and forget the hike, or do you take the cell phone and hike?

There's no right answer - it just depends on what's going on in your life.

Bianchi Veloce
05-12-2010, 09:56

That's right. Same here. My Grandparents never had one and they lived happily ever after.

Luddite
05-13-2010, 17:58

Without the cell phone, I wouldn't be hiking. Mine stays on most of the time and within reach.

I've got a wife, 3 kids and a business. I need to be accessible to all of them.

In a few years I hope to retire and scratch the business off the list but I'll still keep a phone handy for the family.

Cars are lame too.

kayak karl
05-13-2010, 19:04
instead of saying no, told you that you could go and your job would be waiting for you if you would take a cell phone and be available in the event any questions came up that were related to your position while you were away.
i resemble that remark :)

sbhikes
05-13-2010, 19:10
Well, I would hazard a guess that if most plebes asked for 6 months off the odds are the answer would be "no".

However, what if you wanted to do a thru hike and your boss, instead of saying no, told you that you could go and your job would be waiting for you if you would take a cell phone and be available in the event any questions came up that were related to your position while you were away.

I guess there are some hard core folks here that do not place a premium on work and making a living, but most likely they don't have a family counting on them for support.

So, do you quit your job and hike, stay at your job and forget the hike, or do you take the cell phone and hike?

There's no right answer - it just depends on what's going on in your life.
I'd quit. And I did quit.

I'm more worried actually about how the constant connectivity means that there really are no more weekends and holidays. No more short vacations. It's worth it to quit for a 6 month trip, but not just to be able to have dinner or a real weekend without being interrupted by your job. I've chosen a very downscale life in order not to be sucked into that kind of nonsense.

TD55
05-13-2010, 19:32
:eek:My main cell phone concern is the people who use them when they don't really have cell phone service, just the phone. Kind of creepy when they pretend they are talking or texting to someone.:dance

earlyriser26
05-13-2010, 19:41

I'm 54 and I always take mine with me. Of course I rarely use it and can never get a signal when I do need it. Then again, maybe i should leave it home. First time I brought it, after checking with the shuttle driver on availability of a good signal at the pick up point, I learned that you can run down your battery in just day if the phone is on as it keeps looking for a signal. I now take the battery out until I need it.

10-K
05-13-2010, 19:52
I'd quit. And I did quit.

I'm more worried actually about how the constant connectivity means that there really are no more weekends and holidays. No more short vacations. It's worth it to quit for a 6 month trip, but not just to be able to have dinner or a real weekend without being interrupted by your job. I've chosen a very downscale life in order not to be sucked into that kind of nonsense.

As I said, there's no right answer - everyone's situation is different and while I would not make the same decision as you I fully respect your choices.

I have chosen a life of business and family. I find the tradeoffs to be satisfying and fulfilling whereas you see it as nonsense. Go figure.

Just remember, all of the things that go on in the world that require people to live lives that you wouldn't choose to live but you depend on.

Do you have any gear made in China for instance? Every time you buy something from a store, think of what it took to get it there.

What I mean to say is that we can't all scale back and thumb our noses at what makes the world go 'round. It's fine as far as it goes but there's a limit to it.

Tevo
02-07-2011, 14:33
I HAVE to have a cell to check in with the Navy recruiters when in towns and see if my Officer application was accepted. Not a "luxury" item in this case. Without the cell, I'd have to give up hiking the AT.

Just curious, any ultralight ideas for waterproof bags to hold the cellphone & camera? The "dry bags" with the watertight clips on top found at Academy Sports are 9oz!

AUhiker90
02-07-2011, 14:35
Had my cell for a couple weeks but mom was leaving 3 messages a day soon switched to a calling card. I love ya mom but i will call you and its ultralight.

Hikes in Rain
02-07-2011, 21:25
Just curious, any ultralight ideas for waterproof bags to hold the cellphone & camera? The "dry bags" with the watertight clips on top found at Academy Sports are 9oz!

Sure. Ziploc baggie. Almost weightless, works like a charm.

I have to check in too, with my non-hiking but amazingly supportive wife. Condition for hiking, and probably not a bad idea.

fiddlehead
02-07-2011, 21:30
I never hiked with a cell phone (thru-hike anyway)
When I do my next one, I will have to have one along.
My business cannot run without me working online at least every 3rd day. (every other day is much better)
My partner would kill me if I asked for more.
.................................................. ..........

so, when it's a matter of: Hike with the phone or stay home.
Which one do you think I'm going to choose?

Mismatch
02-08-2011, 00:01
Nowadays, you can do so much with a cell phone it's almost like not being in the woods at all!

In fact, that's a great idea. I could stay home with my cell phone and watch my 3D HD TV on discovery and still get score reports, weather data, e-mails, and even check facebook!

Seriously though, I'm 18. I've been nurtured by our connection-crazed society and all I want to do when I am on the trail is unplug and focus on the real, the present and the at-hand. I am actually fearful of the way technology is progressing: can you imagine trail-life with wi-fi? Shelters filled with people checking e-mails, watching youtube and video-chatting. Scares the hell out of me.

I bring my cell phone for emergencies only. My loved ones have my itinerary; if it changes I'll send a text, that is all.

Ontiora
02-08-2011, 00:40
Probably because there aren't many pay phones left...

Different Socks
02-09-2011, 11:48
What's a "cell phone"?

Ditto to that!!

Grampie
02-09-2011, 12:08

And, yeah, despite many of the excuses like a cell ph is only for emergencies, etc, MUCH cell ph use is about mindless mundane trivial chatter or trying to alleviate someone else's fears of the big bad wilderness.

I have ample opportunity to observe how folks hike. I learn much about human behavior by doing this and can often tell by how folks behave while hiking how they are likely to behave while not hiking or being out on the trail. Hiking tourists in National Parks are a great example. They take a shotgun approach to hiking just like they lead their lives off the trail. I strongly suspect that hikers that have a hard time slowing down and drinking in the amazing scenery also lead their family and career lives this way too. People just can't focus. It's like the masses have Attention Deficit Disorder. They have to be doing a thousand tasks at once because that's what they are accustomed to and it shows up in thier hiking, which could be so much more if they only learned to let go of their non-trail life habits. I strongly suspect that hikers who approach their hikes with the attitude - if it's worth doing it's worth doing fast - lead ther lives off the trail the same way. I experience MANY hikers who have the hardest time quieting their minds. It's as if they hike like they are racing to a checkered flag. I suspect they are living their lives off the trail the same way. Often, I find similarities to how people hike with how they drive automobiles too. They might not realize it but they hike agressively with their egos on full tilt just like they drive their cars.

The obssession with cell phone use while on the trail is VERY MUCH a continuation of the same obssession with cell ph use while not hiking!

Very well explained.
When the batteries go dead, it's an excuse to go home:cool:

Sassafras Lass
02-09-2011, 12:37

Despite everyone thinking they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, I agree with you. Don't own one (technically my husband uses a pay-as-you-go phone as an emergency phone when he's babysitting) and don't ever plan to. Don't own or use microwaves either (though my reasons for that don't completely coincide with my refusal to own a cell phone). Never texted in my life, never used Twitter.

And I'm in my 20s - how weird to I look? :p

Sly
02-09-2011, 13:20
Obsessed with cellphone reception? Get Verizon! /thread

atraildreamer
02-10-2011, 13:19
Buy a cheap Tracfone (I've seen them for $8 at Family Dollar). Get the Nokia brand phone, avoid the "clamshell" type flip phones. The battery life is excellent and the phone is smaller, lighter and more rugged than many other brands. :) Buy some time for the phone. Activate the phone. Register your phone with the national cellphone Do Not Call Registry @ 1-888-382-1222 to prevent nuisance calls from telemarketers. :mad: Do NOT activate the voice mail feature or the "worry warts" will fill the mail box and burn up your minutes. :p Give the number to those who want to keep in contact with and tell them to TEXT you if they need to get in touch with you. When you get to town, or on a mountaintop within range of a cell tower, turn on the phone. The Tracfone uses whatever network is available. Your incoming text messages will display and you can then call back if it is an emergency. :(

If you are one of those people that HAVE to be connected ALL the time, you may have chosen the wrong form of recreation. :mad: :banana

Ladytrekker
02-10-2011, 13:32
Because we live in an age of technology, social networking, and forums such as this one and there is no reason for not taking advantage of it. I don't live in era of pioneers and nor do I want too. I love the woods, nature, hiking and backpacking but I also like gadgets. Doesn't make me less than someone else because I admit it.

SamXp
02-10-2011, 13:38
Because we live in an age of technology, social networking, and forums such as this one and there is no reason for not taking advantage of it. I don't live in era of pioneers and nor do I want too. I love the woods, nature, hiking and backpacking but I also like gadgets. Doesn't make me less than someone else because I admit it.
Well said. But don't worry, it won't be long before a curmudgeon walks up the trail and looks down their nose at you because they chose to shun technology. (or technology shuns them?)

hikerboy57
02-10-2011, 13:48
I always found cell phones would only get a signal when I didnt need one, never when I actually need to use it. So now I just take the land line with me

Sickmont
02-10-2011, 13:50
I always found cell phones would only get a signal when I didnt need one, never when I actually need to use it. So now I just take the land line with me

Man, thats a hell of a lot of cord to carrying.........

hikerboy57
02-10-2011, 13:52
Man, thats a hell of a lot of cord to carrying.........
No , I have the corless model.

Sickmont
02-10-2011, 13:55
No , I have the corless model.

That's awesome, man. :D

Tenderheart
02-10-2011, 16:09

Me either!!

litefoot 2000

garbanz
02-10-2011, 17:15
The recurring live and let live HYOH message of WB threads is alive and well here also. It seems to favor those who will make a lot of noise with their devices while on the trail.
There is a silent majority out there, myself included, who just happen to like their surroundings quiet. Do they HTOH by bushwacking the entire AT and stealth camping?

LoneRidgeRunner
02-10-2011, 17:30

You say "You don't need it." SOOO..why do you take yours"?
What's your point?
I see a lot here on WB of people trying to tell other people how to hike, what they need or don't need, what to take and what not to take. Dang...HYOH and let every one else do the same..it's not do as I say do, it's do whatever the heck YOU wanta do...

LoneRidgeRunner
02-10-2011, 17:36
i always found cell phones would only get a signal when i didnt need one, never when i actually need to use it. So now i just take the land line with me

:d..........

Graywolf
02-10-2011, 17:56
Not too long ago, I could go to a lake, park, TRAIL, or anywhere outside, and see people, family, pets, children, enjoying being out, fishing, hiking, looking at birds, playing frisbe, flying kites, etc.. Now I go to the aforemention places (including the AT) and all I see are folks sittig around texting or waiting for texting. No activities.. I once saw a fisherman actually lose his pole because he was too busy texting and not paying attention to his line..I got a big laugh out of that one..

I keep my phone at home. When Im out, I want to be Out.. I dont want to go OUT and be hooked to a teither line.. I want to be free..

Cell Phones have made us lazy..Pure lazy...

vamelungeon
02-10-2011, 19:36
I don't really care if anyone approves of my hiking equipment, including my Blackberry.

V Eight
02-10-2011, 20:41
I don't really care if anyone approves of my hiking equipment, including my Blackberry.

In my case a Droid, but I agree.

Chances are if you even see my "phone" it will be taking a picture(got to love that mulit-use gear:D).
If you should happen to here me talk on it, chances are you came out of your way to be where I am, because I will be far from the beaten path and no where near a shelter.

flemdawg1
02-11-2011, 09:24
If I was paying 100s of $s for the services, I'd want them to work. Myself, I'm on a bare-bones family share plan.

Ender
02-11-2011, 11:29

Agreed. It's no one's business but yours.

HYOH, and all that.

bigmac_in
02-11-2011, 11:47
You say "You don't need it." SOOO..why do you take yours"?
What's your point?
I see a lot here on WB of people trying to tell other people how to hike, what they need or don't need, what to take and what not to take. Dang...HYOH and let every one else do the same..it's not do as I say do, it's do whatever the heck YOU wanta do...

Hi everyone :D - isn't it fun drudging up old news on WB? (This thread was started 9 months ago) Apparently many of you still don't understand the original post. If you read carefully, I do not condemn anyone for using their cell phone, I just don't understand why you can't do without it for a while on the trail.

LRR - maybe my choice of words was bad (do you work for Fox News), but my point was I can survive without it, and do. I'm also not an idiot and know I can use it to call for a shuttle if needed. I certainly don't worry about whether there is cell signal before I go hike, which is what this is all about.

As far as HYOH - I'm fine with that. I could give a sh1t less whether you take your phone and miss out on some peace and quiet, carry a 90 pound pack, filter your water, stay in shelters, use hiking poles, or kick dogs off the trail. I was just trying to spark some conversation around something I don't understand, and still haven't heard a good reason for.

I'm done now, for another 9 months maybe. Keep hiking friends.:D

Fiddleback
02-11-2011, 12:55
Wow! Nine months already!! Have you upgraded your phone?:D

I agree with your sentiment... I always carry my cell phone when I leave the house (which is not in cell phone range) and I always carry it on the trail (which is virtually always out of cell range). And the phone is always "off." In the years I've had a cell I've received two (anticipated) calls. The phone is for my convenience and no one else.

Otherwise, I carry on the trail for a just-in-case emergency just in case I'm in cell phone range.

FB

couscous
02-11-2011, 13:50
One of the contributing factors for the "obsession with cell phone signals" is our connected society. There wouldn't be 317,824 journal entries on trailjournals.com if few hikers wanted to be noticed and promote their hikes. The growing use of Bebo · Blogspot · Facebook · FriendFeed · Friendster · Gaia · Hi5 · Hub Culture · ibibo · Jaiku · LinkedIn · MySpace · Netlog · Orkut · Tagged · Tribe.net · Twitter · Viadeo · Vkontakte · Whispurr · Xanga etc. etc. spans all generations. Few people can imagine going four days without checking email, updating their online journal, texting friends, uploading pictures, calling home or posting on forums like WB. Some like it, some hate it, but technology keeps changing. It's going to be some time before the two-way video wrist watch that Chester Gould envisioned in 1964 for Dick Tracy will be available/affordable, but the iPhone 4 and some others are getting close.

DavidNH
02-11-2011, 14:00

RIGHT ON! Tell it Bro! the damn obsession with cell phones is out of hand. Folks.. we don't need 'em. You just think you need em!!!!! :sun:banana

Ender
02-11-2011, 14:07
RIGHT ON! Tell it Bro! the damn obsession with cell phones is out of hand. Folks.. we don't need 'em. You just think you need em!!!!! :sun:banana

It has nothing to do with "need".

bigmac_in
02-11-2011, 14:54
Wow! Nine months already!! Have you upgraded your phone?:D

:D As a matter of fact, I now use the Crackberry. And it still stays off on the trail. :D

4eyedbuzzard
02-11-2011, 15:46
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qVNowZwdFkE/TNXk84vhYKI/AAAAAAAAA64/V7EmnocjK0w/s1600/calvin-father-on-black-and-white-pictures.gif

Ender
02-11-2011, 16:19
Ha! You so win the internet today. :sun

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qVNowZwdFkE/TNXk84vhYKI/AAAAAAAAA64/V7EmnocjK0w/s1600/calvin-father-on-black-and-white-pictures.gif

BradMT
02-12-2011, 00:05
Without the cell phone, I wouldn't be hiking.

That's kinda sad really...

Sassafras Lass
02-12-2011, 10:49

I'm mailing you some cookies. How did you know I'm passionately in love with Calvin and Hobbes? :p

atraildreamer
02-21-2011, 14:22
It's going to be some time before the two-way video wrist watch that Chester Gould envisioned in 1964 for Dick Tracy will be available/affordable, but the iPhone 4 and some others are getting close.

Right now, more like the Star Trek communicator. :-?

Doc Mike
02-21-2011, 16:10
Calvin and hobbes the best comic strip ever!!

Jeff
02-21-2011, 17:26
It is interesting to watch hikers in town staying connected to each other via cell phone. Not much need for shelter logs anymore. Most hikers know exactly where their buddies are and what they are up to !!!!

WalkingUSA
02-21-2011, 17:37
I greatly dislike the use of cell phones in the woods, but I am not stubborn enough to suggest banning them. They are useful for emergencies.

What I greatly dislike is someone who is hiking while on the phone talking about everyday nonsense that should be left off of the trail the second you stop on it.

Personally I wish cell phones where banned from use in all but emergencies.

beakerman
02-22-2011, 12:19
Dork . . . . :)

Ever since I found out what a dork really is Irefuse o call anyone a dork anymore...

its a term for the bone in a male whale's genitalia..somehow it just doesn't seem right to me...

beakerman
02-22-2011, 12:22
I carry mine with me everywhere I go but its on vibrate or off to save the battery. I use it when hiking to take a quick snapshot and I will often send it out via text message to say "wish you were here" or "see what you are missing". Text messages go through most of the time even when you can't get a good enough signal to make a real call...learned that from all my hurricane experiences...and then I applied it to my hiking...

LoneRidgeRunner
02-22-2011, 12:42

I'm over 50 and I'm not agreeing with him. If someone wants to take their cell phone with him or her..so be it...Who is any one to tell them they can't or shouldn't? HYOH... my 2 cents worth..

Doc Mike
02-22-2011, 15:25
I greatly dislike the use of cell phones in the woods, but I am not stubborn enough to suggest banning them. They are useful for emergencies.

What I greatly dislike is someone who is hiking while on the phone talking about everyday nonsense that should be left off of the trail the second you stop on it.

Personally I wish cell phones where banned from use in all but emergencies.

What a Great Idea lets ban all things that some people don't like. The following is a list of things that should be banned.
dogs
tents
hammocks
stoves
bugs
mice
bears
skunks
heavy packs
light packs
cell phones
kindles
maps
compass
knife
gun
spork
aluminum
titanium
credit cards
boots
crocs
trail runners
cotton
deet
sunscreen
rain
wind
sun
heat
cold
alchy stoves
cannister stoves
wood stoves

Please feel free to ban anything else that you don't like. Personally I'm glad to live in a place where we are free to do some things that others don't like.

Just my .02
Remember despite what some on here say hike your own hike not someone elses. :D

bigmac_in
02-22-2011, 15:48
Ever since I found out what a dork really is Irefuse o call anyone a dork anymore...

its a term for the bone in a male whale's genitalia..somehow it just doesn't seem right to me...

dork

I'm over 50 and I'm not agreeing with him. If someone wants to take their cell phone with him or her..so be it...Who is any one to tell them they can't or shouldn't? HYOH... my 2 cents worth..

Nothing to agree with - if you want to carry your phone, go ahead. Re-read the original post. It is about the obsession with cell phone SIGNAL. I'm just hiker trash, I don't care how anyone else does it.

What a Great Idea lets ban all things that some people don't like. The following is a list of things that should be banned.
dogs
hammocks
stoves
bugs
mice
bears
skunks
heavy packs
light packs
cell phones
kindles
gun
spork
aluminum
titanium
credit cards
boots
crocs
cotton
rain
wind
sun
heat
cold
alchy stoves
cannister stoves
wood stoves

Please feel free to ban anything else that you don't like. Personally I'm glad to live in a place where we are free to do some things that others don't like.

Just my .02
Remember despite what some on here say hike your own hike not someone elses. :D

I'll agree with that list, except you forgot shelters. :D
And let me repeat one more time, I don't care if you hike with your phone, just stay the h e l l off trails where there isn't a signal. I'm fine with that.

:cool:

form
02-22-2011, 15:58
mmmm,very active thread,which came first hiking poles or cell phones

twsmith001
02-22-2011, 19:08
okay as to the op original question i think people want to know about cell phone signals so maybee they can make plans about their cell phones...............or maybee they just want to know what to expect......curiosity

Elder
02-22-2011, 19:58
mmmm,very active thread,which came first hiking poles or cell phones
People have been hiking with poles for centuries..
Trekking poles; adjustable, adapted from ski poles, since the 1970's.
Not many hikers would have carried the "bag" phone. :rolleyes:

Poles Win! Poles Win! :D