PDA

View Full Version : Blood, Low WBC, Low H & H, anemia

Crazy_Al
05-07-2010, 09:22
Does backpacking or too much exercise cause Low WBC, Low H & H ???

Hikes in Rain
05-07-2010, 09:27
Not that I'm aware. I would expect the increased excersize and body stress would stimulate the marrow to produce more white and red cells, especially the red to handle the increased oxygen demand.

mkmangold
05-07-2010, 20:51

That's a pancytopenia which means what ever it is is lowering your white blood cells AND red blood cells. I would also expect exercise to increase (to within normal limits) both groups of cells so something else is going on.

Toolshed
05-07-2010, 20:54
You may need to have a couple of CBC's drawn a few weeks apart to see if there is a trend. If so, You should consult your PCP and see if a Liver Ultrasound is in order (Depending on age and any co-morbidities you may have or be genetically pre-disposed to.
BTW How is your RBC?

Crazy_Al
05-07-2010, 21:59
You may need to have a couple of CBC's drawn a few weeks apart to see if there is a trend. If so, You should consult your PCP and see if a Liver Ultrasound is in order (Depending on age and any co-morbidities you may have or be genetically pre-disposed to. BTW How is your RBC?
4.78 MIL reference range (4.7.---6.1)

Toolshed
05-08-2010, 06:33
4.78 MIL reference range (4.7.---6.1)
You mentioned cancer survivor in your avatar - This and associated radiology treatments as well as powerful oncologics will all take a toll.
I would be interested in what your doc finds. I wish you the best!

gumball
05-08-2010, 06:43
There was an article last year in Runner's World about running, marathoning if I remember, having an effect of sorts on your blood values--but quite frankly, I cannot remember which--I believe it indicated that anemia was sometimes found in those who exercised strenuously.

I hope all is well for you.

Pedaling Fool
05-08-2010, 07:46
Too much of ANYTHING is bad for you, including hiking, but I don't know about causing low WBC and I don't know what H & H is. But I suppose it is possible since too much exercise does start to stress your system, to the point you may see adverse affects -- but there's probably a slew of adverse conditions that may arise, depending on many factors.

I personally believe too much hiking without any other activity would be more detrimental to your knees and feet. But how much is too much is a personal thing. We all have different thresholds for a multitude of reasons.

Hikes in Rain
05-08-2010, 08:42
H&H is medical-eze for hemoglobin and hematocrit. Hemoglobin is a measure of the amount of the oxygen carrying molecule in a given amount of blood (micrograms per milliliter). Hymatocrit is the percentage of blood cells (both red and white, but it's almost all red) to plasma, the liquid portion. It's a quick and dirty gauge of a red cell count, held over from way back when, when counts were done by hand using a microscope, which could take too much time.

I noticed that Al had cancer survivor as well (good for you!), but didn't mention it. I assume, Al, that you've been checking with your doctor, since you know the counts are low?

Best of luck, my friend.

Crazy_Al
05-08-2010, 11:14
H&H is medical-eze for hemoglobin and hematocrit. Hemoglobin is a measure of the amount of the oxygen carrying molecule in a given amount of blood (micrograms per milliliter). Hymatocrit is the percentage of blood cells (both red and white, but it's almost all red) to plasma, the liquid portion. I noticed that Al had cancer survivor as well (good for you!), but didn't mention it. I assume, Al, that you've been checking with your doctor, since you know the counts are low?
My GP MD is going to send me to a Hemotologist for evaluation and to a endoscopy to check small intestine etc. My GP MD has been trying to fix my blood for at least a couple years. Everyone in my father's blood line has anemia. I am much, much more physically active than other 63 YO I know. My GP MD suspects I have Celiac disease which is a big nusiance.

Hikes in Rain
05-08-2010, 11:28
Can't outrun your genetics, can you? I can't help but think the physical activity has to help. I'd keep it up as long as I can. That's what I plan to do. I want to be like most of the male members of my family; dying of unnatural causes at advanced ages, because "they were doing some $^%@-fool thing they $^%$^%$ well should have known better to be doing at their age!" (To quote my great-aunt Eurtis)

Best of luck, Al. I'm rooting for you. Please keep us informed as to your progress.

Blissful
05-08-2010, 19:12
My GP MD is going to send me to a Hemotologist for evaluation and to a endoscopy to check small intestine etc. My GP MD has been trying to fix my blood for at least a couple years. Everyone in my father's blood line has anemia. I am much, much more physically active than other 63 YO I know. My GP MD suspects I have Celiac disease which is a big nusiance.

Celiac disease is a nuisance but there is better diet choices now out there with gluten free products. Easier today than in the past

mkmangold
05-08-2010, 21:52
There was an article last year in Runner's World about running, marathoning if I remember, having an effect of sorts on your blood values--but quite frankly, I cannot remember which--I believe it indicated that anemia was sometimes found in those who exercised strenuously.

I hope all is well for you.

I didn't read that particular article but scientists have known for years that long-distance running produces microtears in the bladder causing runners to lose blood in the urine and become anemic. It's the combination of low H&H and low WBC that needs explaining. Here's blessings for your health.