PDA

View Full Version : Longest roadless stretch?

Bluebearee
10-25-2004, 00:29
Let's see if we can find a way to argue about this one. In August I headed to Gooseye one day to try to meet Hammockhanger. I got to thinking that probably one of the reasons I love the Mahoosucs so much is a feeling of remote-ness in their midst. And then I got to thinking that this particular stretch has to be one of the longest, of not the longest that does not traverse a single road, not a dirt road, not a logging road, and certainly not a paved road. We all know the Wilderness is criss crossed numerous times by logging roads, so it can't count in this regard - any other nominations or insight? My '02 Wingfoot has the Mahoosuc Range around 30 miles. The Prezzies are ~26 miles. Is anything further south longer than 30 miles?

TakeABreak
10-25-2004, 04:44
Yes,

The Smokies, from fontana dam to New Found Gap is 40.3 miles of no roads, although the trail does skirt a road at Clingmans Dome at 32.4 miles from fontana dam and at indian gap at 38.6 miles, the trail does not cross either road.

Also, from New Found Gap to Davenport is 31.3 miles of no road crossings.

Amazing isn't it, you do the trail to get away from everything and few miles you are reminded of it.

Personally I can not wait until I get the opportunity to do the PCT and CDT.

zephyr1034
10-25-2004, 06:06
From the figures you gave, the "south" (trail-wise) section of the Smokies wins by 1.1 miles. You really can't count the stretch from Clingman's Dome to Newfound Gap. The trail doesn't cross the Clingman's Dome spur road, but it's always very close, often close enough to be heard.

TakeABreak
10-25-2004, 06:36
Unless you go through there when I did in in late February, they close the road to clingmans dome in October or November and don't open it back up until late March. Of course the exact closure changes every year depending on the weather.

But, you are correct that during the normal season you can hear the road noise almost the entire stretch, I have day hiked that area numerous times and prefer to do it when the road is closed. except xmas and new years, to many people.

I have actually had Tourons (A cross between a tourist and a moron) try to give me advise on hiking in this area. Like, it is going to be dark soon don't go to far. My friend who lives in the area, who has day hiked with me a few times, just snicker's under her breathe as we walk away. The funny part being her and I are the only ones who are wearing hiking gear and have what we need, just in case in our day packs. No one else is even wearing a day pack or wearing hiking gear. but that is aother subject.

Grimace
10-25-2004, 11:53
The longest roadless straetch in the US is on the PCT/JMT through the Sierra. From Kennedy Meadow to Red's Meadows in Yosemite. Well over 220 miles of awesome country.

chris
10-25-2004, 13:06
On this leg, you really don't even get close to a road. VVR, about 10 days in, sits on a dirt road. But, this is about 5 miles off the trail. Other than that, to get out to resupply you are looking at a long hike (of course, gorgeous) and then a long hitch.

I don't know what the longest stretch on the CDT is. This probably depends on your route I have no idea about the GDT, despite having hiked it recently, but there definitely isn't anything as long as the PCT. However, there are certainly some 150+K stretches without crossing anything resembling a road.

Bluebearee
10-25-2004, 15:48
The Smokies, from fontana dam to New Found Gap is 40.3 miles of no roads, although the trail does skirt a road at Clingmans Dome at 32.4 miles from fontana dam and at indian gap at 38.6 miles, the trail does not cross either road.

Also, from New Found Gap to Davenport is 31.3 miles of no road crossings.

I guess it's hard to remember the roadless area of the Smokies, since that whole section was so over-run with people in general, it never felt remote, in the slightest.

On the Western Front, I hiked the TYT in the Fall of 01 (during 9/11 thank goodness) - it was 185 miles through 4 Wilderness areas, I know one stretch was particularly road-less from Carson Pass south to Lake Alpine through the Mokelumne Wilderness. That was some wild country. Then from Sonora Pass (the other Kennedy Meadows) into Yosemite was all backcountry, other than walking old wagon trails, there wasn't an improved road til Glen Aulin. We were near Benson Pass when we heard the news from a trail crew.