PDA

View Full Version : Should I take my Hennessy Supershelter on a summer AT hike?

Freigeist
05-07-2010, 22:13
So, in a few days I'll be leaving for Springer and hiking the AT till mid August, and I'd originally intended to bring my Hennessy explorer dlx, stock fly, supershelter (+ space blanket), and 30 degree bag for the shelter, but right now in the interests of cutting pounds I'm reevaluating my gear and seeing what I really don't need. Which brings me to my question -- does it get cold enough along the AT in mid may -> mid august that the supershelter would really be needed any given the rest of my stuff? What's the coldest it can be expected to get (I've done low 40s just fine without it, high forties with wind and rain). Also, will it even ever get cold enough to warrant the bag (I'm guessing yes). I have a 55 degree bag that's a pound lighter -- would that leave my hypothermic at any point?

Egads
05-07-2010, 22:35
We are still seeing 50*s with a rare 40* morning. I'd leave the pad behind and bring a 40*+ bag. You'll be hot with anything more than a fleece quilt / blanket most nights in July / August

Pagandaddy
05-07-2010, 23:06
We'll be getting into the 40s Sunday morning, but after that lows in the low 60s. High Humidity also. As long as you have dry clothes to change into in camp you could be fine without a bag.

Just Jeff
05-08-2010, 08:39
In a hammock, you'll probably want some sort of bottom insulation below about 70F at night, especially if it's windy. I'd bring the supershelter.

FishBone
05-08-2010, 09:02
I'm doing a section from Bland, VA to Daleville, VA in late May-early June. Taking my HH super shelter with a JRB N'Snvlr. It may be a little warmer set-up than most people would need, but I sleep cold and I can always shake the down to the sides of the NS if it gets too warm and remove the space blanket or move the underpad off to the side. YMMV. Have a great hike!

Freigeist
05-08-2010, 09:32
We are still seeing 50*s with a rare 40* morning. I'd leave the pad behind and bring a 40*+ bag. You'll be hot with anything more than a fleece quilt / blanket most nights in July / August

So you're saying I won't need any bag at all, or that I specifically don't need a thirty degree bag and would be fine with the 55?

Egads
05-08-2010, 21:42

So you're saying I won't need any bag at all, or that I specifically don't need a thirty degree bag and would be fine with the 55?

Pagandaddy said to leave the bag behind. Not me, I disagree with that advice. You'll want a bag for the next couple of months, but can get by with less in July & August. However, you can see the low 50s in higher elevations in NC / TN in July or August. I said you can leave the PAD behind.

Pack accordingly.

Freigeist
05-09-2010, 10:57
Pagandaddy said to leave the bag behind. Not me, I disagree with that advice. You'll want a bag for the next couple of months, but can get by with less in July & August. However, you can see the low 50s in higher elevations in NC / TN in July or August. I said you can leave the PAD behind.

Pack accordingly.

Whoops, my mistake. And yeah, I tested out the hammock last night in low forties weather and was fine without the supershelter, though a little cold in the 55 degree bag (I had to get out and switch it for the 30 degree bag at one point). Fared well in the 30, though, so I'll just take that and hope the temps don't ever fall into the 30s.

Just Jeff
05-09-2010, 21:46
Wind makes a HUGE difference, especially if you don't have dedicated bottom insulation for the hammock. I'm guessing it wasn't that windy during your test?

bigcranky
05-09-2010, 21:58
I have used a 3/4-length closed cell foam pad in my hammock in the summer. Works well keeping my back warm, and does double duty when I stop for breaks as a sit pad/napping pad. A Z-rest fits best in my pack, but a Ridgerest is easier to use in a hammock in my experience. (The z-rest folds closed when I lie down. Annoying.)

I find I need the insulation under me in all but the hottest summer nights.

Pagandaddy
05-09-2010, 22:09
OK I guess I could've been more clear. I don't think a 30* bag is necessary. I was in a tarp with no pad (by choice) and a nylon blanket the third weekend in April. I have never hammocked so I was just going on my experiences. Sorry for any confusion.

JP
05-09-2010, 22:24
I would take what you need to get a good nights sleep and cut weight some other way. I like a piece of pad under my back and a 30 deg. bag,extra long jons for cold nights.

Liv2Ride
05-11-2010, 09:10
Listen to the hangers since you are going with the hammock. Sleeping on the ground is entirely different than sleeping in a hammock. Take the supershelter. The benefits far outweigh the little bit that it adds to your carry. I swear by my HH SS. It also provides that extra fabric to keep mosquitos from biting you through the hammock. I agree with JP in that you should cut your weight in other areas versus your sleep system. If you have a support network back at home you can always have a lighter bag, etc., sent to you on the trail and send back the stuff that you don't need as the tempurature increases. Lastly, check out HammockForum.net. There you will find hundreds of fellow hangers with more hammock experience and wisdom than one could ever get on our own and all of them are kind and willing to share their knowledge.

Egads
05-11-2010, 21:10
We all have out style & hopefully a gear list that works for us. I'm a hanger & don't use a pad much in the summer. My underquilt stops the biting bugs and provides enough warmth. This is more comfortable for me because my back doesn't sweat as much & I don't need to fight a pad.

Do what ever works for you. :D

joec
05-16-2010, 09:08
I always take my underquilt. I was hanging last summer, mid day, waiting on my family to meet me. It was in the upper 70's, low 80's and I did not put on the underquilt as I was only going to be there for an hour or so. I was uncomfortable and wished I had put on the underquilt, as the breeze chilled by backside. If you need it, there is nothing to replace it with. Leave off something else if weight is your concern. Being comfortable while you are resting is essential.

Freigeist
05-23-2010, 16:11
Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies -- I ended up leaving the supershelter behind and taking the 30 degree bag. Been pretty toasty so far (in gatlinburg currently), though I did have to don my jacket to keep warm 2 nights ago on a particularly windy/rainy night high up in the smokies. I'm carrying an essentially weightless space blanket that I can use as windshield should I really need it, so I think I'll be fine.