PDA

View Full Version : Trash on the trails

hikerhobs
05-08-2010, 08:59
After years of hiking there is one problem that still exists, everywhere, trash on the trails! How hard is it to take your trash with you. I know this isn't everyone, but those that do it, know who you are. You may throw trash around your own yard, but keep it out of ours. I make it easy on myself. I take an empty peanut butter jar with me that will hold a weeks worth of trash. No smell, no mess, no problem. Pack it in, pack it out. Show respect to nature and those that enjoy it! :mad:

Pedaling Fool
05-08-2010, 09:45
A few points:

1. Most hikers and "hikers" on the AT do not participate on WB.

2. I would speculate, albeit just speculation, that most participants are more LNT minded than most on the AT. So you may be preaching to the choir here.

3. Much (not necessarily most) of the trash on the trail is not left by Hikers or "Hikers". A good example of this is near US 19E in the vicinity of Roan Mountain, Tn & Elk Park, NC.

4. Right or wrong, shelters seem to many as a natural depository for unwanted stuff. Some of it is trash that no one wants and some is does find a new owner. I found a good book left at a shelter took it with me and left it at another shelter when I was finished.

5. Some consider shelters as the most offensive articles of trash on the trail, but now were getting into subjective territory.
Now that I think of it, "trash" is a very subjective issue.

6. Nature doesn't care. Nature doesn't have a conscience. There is no mother nature, she's a fictional character.

warraghiyagey
05-08-2010, 09:58
It probly doesn't help that the most famous book about the AT was written by a guy who recounted repeatedly throwing gear and garbage into the woods. . . :(

hikerhobs
05-08-2010, 10:00
bottom line, pack it in-pack it out

Jeff
05-08-2010, 12:04
I have always observed that the trail itself is mostly litter free. In and around shelters is a completely different story.

solace
05-08-2010, 12:11
One thing which REALLY surprised me this year, was the first 200 miles, that not even 1/2 mile after several "trail-magic" areas, there was a good amount of trash on the trail!?! some plastic bottles dropped right on the trail itself!?! I just don't get it???

warraghiyagey
05-08-2010, 12:13
I have always observed that the trail itself is mostly litter free. In and around shelters is a completely different story.
Yup, pretty much true. . . we always pick up light litter along the trail, and heavier litter at shelters that are closest to town. . .

springerfever
05-08-2010, 12:36
Continually amazes me while hiking to run across wrappers from candy bars, clif bars, etc. You would certainly think folks willing to spend the time/effort/money to go hiking and enjoy the beauty that nature provides would bend over, pick up the wrapper and stuff it in their pocket !

Spokes
05-08-2010, 13:09
I agree on seeing way too much trash on the trails. What's the solution? Sending a text or tweet?

DAJA
05-08-2010, 13:42
Humans are a filthy species, anywhere you find people, you find waste... And now, we continue to polute in places we can't naturally exist, like 1500 feet below the ocean surface... So, while I agree that litter and trash on the trail is seriously wrong, I think when we accept pumping 5000 barrels a day of oil into our ocean, we are beyond the point of concern over a cliff bar wrapper...

Sad reality!

modiyooch
05-08-2010, 13:56
I don't think it's hikers. I think it's from day walkers. 1 mile max. Most of the trash I see is at the trailheads, or a short distance in. In PA, I saw bags of trash, mainly beer bottles or lunch just dumped beside the trailhead and the closer I got to towns, the worst it got.

JAK
05-08-2010, 15:53
What about Hiker Trash? :)

millergear
05-08-2010, 16:01
In the Catskills, Daks and on the AT it seems the most trash is found were there is vehicle access!

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2010, 17:27
Don't blame Whiteblaze!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_America_Beautiful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ozVMxzNAA

Uh 2010? No Change or Hope.:D the trash after a Republican rally. Notice the flag?

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8071/trash5.jpg

warraghiyagey
05-08-2010, 17:35
Not sure why you would introduce politics into this thread. . . . . .

Spokes
05-08-2010, 17:36
Wonder why the DNC was so secretive about their convention trash?
See story here (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/29/dnc-trash-sorting-a-dirty-secret/).

warraghiyagey
05-08-2010, 17:38
I'm a big fan of veterans/american flag. . . not sure what the Fox 'news'/Glen Beck inclusion is. . . not sure what could possibly have inspired ou to introduce politics into this thread. . . . :confused:

10-K
05-08-2010, 17:44
I agree on seeing way too much trash on the trails. What's the solution? Sending a text or tweet?

Public shaming on the internet would be too good for them....

JAK
05-08-2010, 18:13
tar and feathers

10-K
05-08-2010, 18:21
Seriously though... I have a feeling some of the random wrappers we see on the trail fell out of someone's pocket without them noticing it.

I've had that happen to me - rip open a candy bar, stuff the wrapper in my pocket and when I stop wonder "Where did that wrapper go??"....

Piles of trash are, of course, another matter altogether.

I should add that I usually pick up any trash I see as long as it doesn't require a massive cleanup so I'm way, way ahead of any trash I may have inadvertently left. (It's like carbon offsetting, only with trash.)

Nean
05-08-2010, 18:59
White trash, don't pick it up....:eek:

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2010, 19:05
I'm a big fan of veterans/american flag. . . not sure what the Fox 'news'/Glen Beck inclusion is. . . not sure what could possibly have inspired ou to introduce politics into this thread. . . . :confused:

Don't care about politics, It's impressionable that people that take our nation to heart and toss an American flag in the trash or miss the can, forgetttabout the trail.

Wharg what part of that did you miss?:rolleyes: