PDA

View Full Version : Gear List - Revised - Looking for feedback

Matty427
05-08-2010, 11:37
I've gone back, fleshed out my gear list, added weights and changed lots of things out. Looking for some feedback to see where I should cut weight or what I should change or what I'm missing.

My first long distance hike - June 4-25 from Springer to Newfound Gap.

Even better - view it in google docs (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArZdNwTJj9FcdDZ6WWVoZzZvX1Z6UTUzYkZrdHJ2N EE&hl=en) -

Basics
ULA Circuit - 38
Montbell UL Super Spiral Down #3 - 22
tent poles - 10
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 w/ footprint - 35.75
tent stakes - 4.875
thermarest neo-air - 17.25
ULA Pack Cover - 2

Clothing Worn
Smartwool Medium hiking sock - 3.25
smartwool sock liners - 1.625
exofficio boxer briefs - 3.375
REI OXT shirt - 6.875
REI Sahara Convertible Shorts - 10.875

Clothing Packed
REI OXT shirt - 6.875
marmot driclime windshirt - 11.125
patagonia cap3 shirt - 9
patagonia cap2 long underwear - 6.125
REI Sahara Convertible Shorts Legs - 4.25
sea to summit 13L dry sack - 3.25
crocs - 13.25
Marmot Pre-cip - 13

Food/Water
light my fire spork - 0.25
jetboil flash - 15.125
jetboil fuel - 7
bear line - 3.875
aqua mira tabs x 30 - 0.625
katadyn hiker pro - 14.75
Platypus Hoser 3L
MSR Dromedary 4L
OP Sack

Hygiene
black diamond caribeener - 0.25
trowel - 2.875
tick key - tick remover - 0.25
jungle juice deet - 2.875
body blide - 1.125
dr bonners - 2.625
MSR camp towel - M - 3.25
Toothpaste/brush - TBD
Glasses/Contact Lens Supplies - TBD

First Aid
moleskin - 0.625
Various Meds/Bandaids/Neosporin - TBD

Misc
journal/pen - 3.5
utlility rope - 3.875
cheap watch - 1.125
petzl headlamp - 3
bandana x 2 - 1.5
Black Diamond Contour Elliptical Trekking Poles - 20
Knife - 3
Camera - TBD
Phone - TBD
ALDHA Guide Book (GA/TN Section) - TBD

Total Weight 336.625oz - 19 lbs or so after removing clothing worn from weight .

warraghiyagey
05-08-2010, 11:44
I've gone back, fleshed out my gear list, added weights and changed lots of things out. Looking for some feedback to see where I should cut weight or what I should change or what I'm missing.

My first long distance hike - June 4-25 from Springer to Newfound Gap.

Even better - view it in google docs (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArZdNwTJj9FcdDZ6WWVoZzZvX1Z6UTUzYkZrdHJ2N EE&hl=en) -

Basics
ULA Circuit - 38
Montbell UL Super Spiral Down #3 - 22
tent poles - 10
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 w/ footprint - 35.75
tent stakes - 4.875
thermarest neo-air - 17.25
ULA Pack Cover - 2

Clothing Worn
REI OXT shirt - 6.875

Clothing Packed
REI OXT shirt - 6.875
marmot driclime windshirt - 11.125
patagonia cap3 shirt - 9
patagonia cap2 long underwear - 6.125
REI Sahara Convertible Shorts Legs - 4.25
crocs - 13.25
Marmot Pre-cip - 13

Food/Water
light my fire spork - 0.25
jetboil flash - 15.125
jetboil fuel - 7
bear line - 3.875
aqua mira tabs x 30 - 0.625
katadyn hiker pro - 14.75
Platypus Hoser 3L
MSR Dromedary 4L
OP Sack

Hygiene
black diamond caribeener - 0.25
trowel - 2.875
tick key - tick remover - 0.25
jungle juice deet - 2.875
body blide - 1.125
dr bonners - 2.625
MSR camp towel - M - 3.25
Toothpaste/brush - TBD
Glasses/Contact Lens Supplies - TBD

First Aid
moleskin - 0.625
Various Meds/Bandaids/Neosporin - TBD

Misc
journal/pen - 3.5
utlility rope - 3.875
cheap watch - 1.125
petzl headlamp - 3
bandana x 2 - 1.5
Black Diamond Contour Elliptical Trekking Poles - 20
Knife - 3
Camera - TBD
Phone - TBD
ALDHA Guide Book (GA/TN Section) - TBD

Total Weight 336.625oz - 19 lbs or so after removing clothing worn from weight .
You shouldn't need the trowel. . .
Nor the body glide. . .
And on future hikes you might decide that the Jetboil is much heavier and more cumbersome/space eating, than other systems. . .
Have a great hike. . . :sun

DocHolliday
05-08-2010, 12:57
I don't really know jack...but that's a lot of shorts. lol :p

Matty427
05-08-2010, 13:23
I've got my eyes on replacing the jetboil but with the money I've spent in the past few months, it's going to wait until later on in the year.

And the body glide was also on my maybe list. Thanks for the advice about it.

It's only 2 pair of shorts total - they're both REI sahara convertible pants with the bottoms removed. I included them in my weight as the short bottoms because I'm not sure if I'm going to bring them or not - probably just one pair of bottoms.

prain4u
05-08-2010, 14:20
Overall, your list is fine--Hike Your Own Hike. Who cares what we think. You have to use what is best for you, your needs and your budget.

However, I would PERSONALLY do several things differently...

1. Shelter: Your tent, poles, and stakes weigh approximately 4.25 lbs. Your NeoAir mattress adds another 17 oz. There are many other shelter options out there--at a fraction of the weight--especially for summer hiking. Search WhiteBlaze if you want ideas. (I use just a tarp--or a Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker Hammock.)

2. I don't use sock liners.

3. I would not personally carry a Marmot windshirt and a Marmot Precip and a Patagonia Cap 3 (which I believe is long sleeved)--especially for a late June hike. Combined, they weigh over 2 lbs--and the three items serve many of the same functions--warmth and keeping you dry. Personally, I would probably drop at least the windshirt--especially for a late June hike.

4) Your total hydration system has a lot of redundancy and a lot of weight. Probably no need for carrying BOTH aqua mira tabs AND a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter. (I would go with just the tabs on the AT). No need for BOTH a Platypus Hoser 3L and and MSR Dromedary 4L. (That is 7 liter water capacity. The AT is not the desert). I carry water in two 1 liter Gatorade bottles. I also carry either a 2 liter (or a 4 liter) water bladder for additional water around camp. HOWEVER. I USE THE WATER BLADDER--ONLY IF NEEDED. I often consider my own system to be "overkill". I could get by with less in most instances.

If you cut out the Hiker Pro and one of the bladders--you will cut over a pound in gear weight--not to mention that water weighs about 2.25 lbs per liter. The more water you carry--the more your pack weighs.

5) I am one of those crazy folks who uses a homemade alcohol stove for cooking. It gets the job done and weighs jut a fraction of the weight of a Jet Boil and a Jet Boil canister. STOVE CHOICE IS DEFINITELY A MATTER OF PERSONAL CHOICE--and people will debate stove choices for days. Use what works best for you.

BOTTOM LINE: If you handed me your gear and asked me to hike with it---I could (and would) immediately cut 4-6 lbs of gear--and that does not count the weight of the extra water that it appears you are considering carrying. At my age, I like hauling less weight up and down hills!

However, you have to do what works best FOR YOU! (I used to carry WAY more stuff than you are planning to carry).

Matty427
05-08-2010, 15:31
I appreciate the feedback! I'm new to this, and am glad to hear where I could make changes.

I'm going to carry both the filter and the tabs until Neels Gap. At that point, I'll decide which works best for me and ditch the other. I only plan on carrying 2L in the bladder and maybe a gatorade bottle in the side of my pack. The dromedary is something that I would use to carry water from the source to camp, where I'd filter it, but you're right, I probably don't need it - luckily I haven't even ordered it yet!

I wasn't sure how cold I'd be getting at night, so the windshirt is another item that may be shipped back at Neels Gap.

I'm still getting used to how quickly ounces add up. I really appreciate any advice you guys have, so thank you!

RollingStone
05-08-2010, 15:46
Don't discount the Body Glide. First, alot of hikers have problems with chafing, for alot of reasons, usually in the first few weeks. I always do, especially if I'm in constant rain and wet for several days.

The Body Glide can take a miserable day and turn it into a positive one. If you get 3-4 weeks in and don't have any issues, send it home (don't put it in a hikers box unless it clearly was unused).

RollingStone
05-08-2010, 15:49
I also wanted to mention, I'm a filter guy. I just like the taste better. BUT, I always carry Potable Aqua as a backup. I've been out on the trail before and had a water filter handle break so it was unusable. If I hadn't have had the tabs as my backup, then I would have had no choice but to risk it.

Blissful
05-08-2010, 18:59
Looks pretty good to me. You did list your shorts twice but thats ok. And I take 3 pairs of socks to take care of my feet.

Connie
05-08-2010, 23:26
I have heard, on the AT, you can be walking in water or otherwise have soaked feet.

If truly wet, Hydropel rubbed on dry feet can help prevent blisters. It is easier to get blisters if your feet are soaked and all "pruney".

Is that a word? Anyway, do not cut back on having spare "dry socks".

Many people use their "spare dry socks" as sleeping socks.

Some people carry three pair regular socks. I don't, but some do.

millergear
05-09-2010, 07:06
For the 1st Aid kit, carry some Imodium. The "trots" on the trail are NOT fun! (Don't ask)

millergear
05-09-2010, 08:20
Another for the 1st Aid kit, surgical gloves. Think Aids, Hepatitis. People may be reluctant to treat you (or you to treat them) w/o a barrier for blood borne desease. Even a close friend was hesitant to help me when I had a really bloody head injury.

RollingStone
05-09-2010, 12:38
For the 1st Aid kit, carry some Imodium. The "trots" on the trail are NOT fun! (Don't ask)

LOL - I'll second that one ;) Drinking a quart of water in the morning and then attempting to chow down powdered eggs as part of your breakfast... not a good idea! A few Immodium tabs and even some Benadryl. They can both be very handy.

Mountain Wildman
05-09-2010, 13:15
I think your list looks good, You could shave a pound if you delete the windshirt, use precip as windbreak, and delete the MSR 4L Drom, buy a Nalgene 96oz. Cantene instead, it weighs 2.2 oz. instead of the Drom at 6.9 oz. and it is about 8 to 10 bucks and holds just under 3 liters.
I see a trowel, I'm sure you have T.P. in there as well.
I would add lip balm, I use berry blistex.
I think your clothing is good, I have one pair convertible pants, one pair cap 3 bottoms and one pair Rain Pants. You could consider rain pants instead of two Sahara pants, weigh about the same but different protection.
Enjoy your hike!!!