PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hiker Mentality

fw2008
05-08-2010, 17:51
Since 2003 when I met a TH'er on Mount Washington, NH (he was riding the cog rr down the mountain because he was injured), and had an interesting conversation with this guy for about an hour, I have been flirting with the idea of doing a thru-hike.
I have yet to even come close to starting, for various reasons:

1) I didn't think I could give up all the creature comforts of home for so long.
2) I had trouble staying out on the trail longer than 1 night
3) I was afraid that I would contract Lyme Disease, or some other serious illness on the trail.
4) all other things...

In June 2007 I became unemployed. This would have been a great time to start planning for a TH, but I was collecting unemployment insurance from the state, so I had to be available for work every day. I would have had to give up my UI to go at that time.

Now it's coming up on 3yrs since I lost my job, and I still have not found another. I am re-considering that TH now, but I have to wonder where the funding will come from.

Several things have changed since my first thoughts of a TH that make me believe that, if I can find the money, I might actually start one next Feb.

Things that have changed:
1) Too much time on my hands; getting very bored
2) No longer have rent to pay (living with parents)
3) Feeling kind of depressed about life; feel that I would no longer be giving up much to do the hike.

So, I'm wondering what were your deciding factors for starting your TH (whether you completed it or not).
What did you consider the hardest part about leaving home for up to 6mos living minimally on the trail?

Did you miss any of your home comforts (besides your family and friends) when you started, and how long did it take for you to get over it?

Did your life change significantly as a result of your TH?

Final note about myself: I am single, living at home, so I don't have many obligations (although I'm wondering who is going to mow the lawn, and run the snowblower while I'm away:D)

FW

Spokes
05-08-2010, 18:01
The three major reasons why people thru-hike in no particular order are:
1. Retirement
2. Divorce
3. Graduation pr other life change

I say you can darn well do anything you set your mind to......... even quit. Think too long about family and you'll convince yourself you're too lonely.

Besides what are you going to tell you're grand kids- "Let me tell you about the time I thru-hiked the AT" or "I tried to hike the AT but decided to quit after .....(insert mileage here)".

Did the thru-hike change my life? Sure. I think about it every day and understand how important the little things in life are.

Good luck with your dream..........

Blissful
05-08-2010, 19:08
Not having a job for 3 yrs can make anyone bored and depressed. Work gives a sense of fulfillment and purpose. Hard to believe there isn't SOMETHING you can do out there. Even a more mundane job like a restaurant work, etc is better than nothing. Or even volunteer work.

Not sure how you will be able to fund a hike which is one of the factors to its success besides the dream of really wanting to do it (the AT is mental more than physical). Many work for years to save up for it (I did).

modiyooch
05-08-2010, 19:33
Do not start in Feb!

kayak karl
05-08-2010, 20:45
you sound like you from north jersey,:) it also sounds like your not over 50.
you asked when do you stop missing your family, over 50 the question would be when do you START missing your family.
trouble staying out on the trail longer than 1 night, over 50, where can i take a LOONNNG weekend.
if funding is a problem, don't go.

i've been unemployed since 4/07 so i understand that.

are you car camping?, day hiking? or is it just the GLORY of a "through" hike that you want:D

fw2008
05-08-2010, 20:45
Do not start in Feb!
What does that have to do with my question?

warraghiyagey
05-08-2010, 20:51
The three major reasons why people thru-hike in no particular order are:
1. Retirement
2. Divorce
3. Graduation pr other life change

Huh? . . . Did you just make that up? . . . :rolleyes::confused:

kayak karl
05-08-2010, 20:58
if he was right about divorce i'd have a triple crown:D

fiddlehead
05-08-2010, 21:05
Don't know about others but I thru'd because it was a dream of mine.
I already knew I liked hiking, camping and walking all day and was pretty good at all 3 having been in a good boy scout troop.
If you are just doing it for something to do to keep the boredom away and am not sure of whether you'll like it, well, you'll probably get homesick and quit but you'll never know till you try, aye?

kayak karl
05-08-2010, 21:13
Don't know about others but I thru'd because it was a dream of mine.
I already knew I liked hiking, camping and walking all day and was pretty good at all 3 having been in a good boy scout troop.
If you are just doing it for something to do to keep the boredom away and am not sure of whether you'll like it, well, you'll probably get homesick and quit but you'll never know till you try, aye?
your right fiddehead, you don't know unless you try. if at first you don't succeed, redefine success.:)

Spokes
05-08-2010, 21:34

hehehehehehe............Keep up warraghiyagey.................

modiyooch
05-08-2010, 21:39
What does that have to do with my question?
You mention reasons that you have not started and creature comforts were one of them. Staying on the trail for a length of time was another.
IMO, February and March will be very uncomfortable. I think you would enjoy it more and not long for home as soon, if you start in April. We had artic temperatures this winter.

10-K
05-08-2010, 21:45
I'm hiking the last 800 miles next week and my biggest worries about finishing are missing my family and just the sheer boredom of hiking that set in after a few weeks on the trail.

We talk alot about the physical preparations for a thru hike but not so much the mental preparation.

I think a good test of your mental readiness for a thru hike would be to walk on a treadmill for 4 hours without stopping for 7 days straight. If you could do that, you can most likely deal with the wash-rinse-repeat of the hiking routine.

And Fiddlehead - I've memorized the Metta sutta to reflect on as I hike.. :)

fw2008
05-08-2010, 23:00
You mention reasons that you have not started and creature comforts were one of them. Staying on the trail for a length of time was another.
IMO, February and March will be very uncomfortable. I think you would enjoy it more and not long for home as soon, if you start in April. We had artic temperatures this winter.
I'm sorry for jumping down your throat.
As for starting in Feb; I really enjoy winter hiking. It's the cold that inspires me to keep moving, and also the fact that I don't have to be thinking about insects for the first couple of months would help to keep me going.

As for boredom on the trail (as 10-K said) I can't really know about that until I have hiked for a while.
I would be bored walking on a TM for 4hrs, 7 days straight, but I don't think that is a good test for a long hike.
As a marathon runner, I could never run on the TM more than 1 hour without becoming bored. But I can run 26.2 outside, and not get bored at all.

Then, running 26.2 miles and hiking 2200 miles are two different things.
I might get bored after the first 300 miles, or the first 100 miles.

I guess my original question was not a good one.
What I really was thinking of was how you prepare yourself mentally for a th; with all things considered, it's a big sacrifice to most people's lifestyles.

I know there has to be strong motivation, and a love for hiking.
I guess the best way for me to understand the thru-hiker's mindset is to become one myself.
After all, there's really no harm in trying it. I can always jump out if I find that it's just not for me.
On the other hand, I could find it to be the perfect solution for the situation I am in, and thoroughly enjoy the hike. I might meet new people, who might put some fresh ideas into my head.

Sometimes though, I feel that I want to try it to spite my dad. He always sees the negative side in everything.
Before I ran my first marathon, he didn't think I could do it. But I ran it, and went on to run 8 more after that, including 4 in NYC, and 2 in Boston.
Qualifying for Boston isn't easy to do; especially when you do it in NYC.

But I know that hiking the trail isn't going to be anything like running a marathon. I won't have water stations at every mile, and I won't have a huge crowd cheering for me along the way, and I know that there won't be a comfortable place to sleep when I'm done hiking for 20 miles.

I have to try some intermediate hikes before I become fully involved with planning a TH.
I am planning to try a hike from Bear Mtn, NY to Killington, VT; probably starting Sept. I'll see how far I can get. If I get all the way to Gifford Woods, then I think I will try the thru-hike, providing I can find the money.

Maybe having a goal that requires me to save a lot of money will also inspire me to take a less than satisfying job to fund it.

But one thing I think is that my mindset has changed over the past couple of years to make it much easier for me to start a long hike.
I won't miss home now the way I might have 3 years ago.

I apologize for appearing to be trying to find someone's shoulder to cry on, and who might give me some encouragement to do the hike.
I realize that I need to find that within myself.

Thanks for your patience.

FW

jesse
05-08-2010, 23:37
#1 reason people don't complete a thru hike.
1. They never start.

If you chose an unemployment check over hiking, I'd say you really don't like hiking.

People who want to hike. They hike.

Why worry about finishing, when you haven't even started?

jesse
05-08-2010, 23:45
Another thought.

Why the obsession with a thru hike? IMO, a "failed" thru beats the hell out of staying at home. Enjoy the mile you make and don't worry about the ones you don't make.

DapperD
05-08-2010, 23:46
Since 2003 when I met a TH'er on Mount Washington, NH (he was riding the cog rr down the mountain because he was injured), and had an interesting conversation with this guy for about an hour, I have been flirting with the idea of doing a thru-hike.
I have yet to even come close to starting, for various reasons:

1) I didn't think I could give up all the creature comforts of home for so long.
2) I had trouble staying out on the trail longer than 1 night
3) I was afraid that I would contract Lyme Disease, or some other serious illness on the trail.
4) all other things...

In June 2007 I became unemployed. This would have been a great time to start planning for a TH, but I was collecting unemployment insurance from the state, so I had to be available for work every day. I would have had to give up my UI to go at that time.

Now it's coming up on 3yrs since I lost my job, and I still have not found another. I am re-considering that TH now, but I have to wonder where the funding will come from.

Several things have changed since my first thoughts of a TH that make me believe that, if I can find the money, I might actually start one next Feb.

Things that have changed:
1) Too much time on my hands; getting very bored
2) No longer have rent to pay (living with parents)
3) Feeling kind of depressed about life; feel that I would no longer be giving up much to do the hike.

So, I'm wondering what were your deciding factors for starting your TH (whether you completed it or not).
What did you consider the hardest part about leaving home for up to 6mos living minimally on the trail?

Did you miss any of your home comforts (besides your family and friends) when you started, and how long did it take for you to get over it?

Did your life change significantly as a result of your TH?

Final note about myself: I am single, living at home, so I don't have many obligations (although I'm wondering who is going to mow the lawn, and run the snowblower while I'm away:D)

FWI wanted to make a comment to your questions even though I have yet to thru-hike if I may. I just wanted to say that I remember reading a paper that was written by a well known A.T. and long distance hiker named Cindy Ross. I believe it was included in some thru-hike info that I had requested, possibly from the ATC or ALDHA a long time ago. It was a piece entitled "Long Dreams, Short Reality" ( I have tried unsuccesfully to find this on the internet and provide a link) in which she basically asks the potential thru-hiker(yourself) to be honest about his or her desires to do a long distance trek of this magnitude, and to ask themselves some serious questions. She states that you will need to understand that being alone for very long periods of time will not be uncommon. You will need to be out there because you really, really want to. She states, "When you get down to the essentials, desire, passion and willpower matter most on a long hike. You have to taste that goal. Eat, sleep and drink your dream. Want it more than anything else. Otherwise that first blister, the first heavy rain, that first tiny reason for an excuse will send you home. The only way to get this desire is to absolutely love being out there: living in the outdoors,walking, carrying your home on your back,sleeping in a new spot everynight." There was much more wisdom written by her in this essay if you will, but you get the picture. To this day this was one of the very best if not the best written article I have ever read in explaining how one needs to understand how to honestly approach a consideration to long distance hike any major trail. From what you are saying and the questions you are asking, this is what you need to do. You need to want to hike the A.T. more than anything else, or you will simply not. It's as easy as that. And this is not even considering injury, lack of funds, problems arising at home, etc...Understand thru-hiking is not for everyone. You could consider a long section hike instead, which for yourself could/may be a better choice. Whatever you choose, the bottom line is enjoy yourself out there. Good Luck

Lilred
05-09-2010, 11:34
I'm hiking the last 800 miles next week and my biggest worries about finishing are missing my family and just the sheer boredom of hiking that set in after a few weeks on the trail.

We talk alot about the physical preparations for a thru hike but not so much the mental preparation.

I think a good test of your mental readiness for a thru hike would be to walk on a treadmill for 4 hours without stopping for 7 days straight. If you could do that, you can most likely deal with the wash-rinse-repeat of the hiking routine.

And Fiddlehead - I've memorized the Metta sutta to reflect on as I hike.. :)

Oh, I gotta disagree here. A half hour on a treadmill will bore me out of my mind, but I can easily do 5 hours on a trail and never get bored. The longest section I did was 5 weeks, and I was never bored on the trail. I got bored in shelters if I stopped too soon, and I got bored in towns if I took a zero, but I am never bored on the trail.

Jack Tarlin
05-09-2010, 12:46
Wow, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you're healthy enough to contemplate a thru-hike, you're healthy enough to be working.

Your posts says you're wondering where the money for your trip will come from.

Well, for most folks, it comes from savings, i.e. they live simply, scrimp and save, don't spend $ on things they don't need, and in many cases, get a second or third job.

Or maybe a first one. :-?

Three years without work is a long time, and you say you have no obligations? Well, maybe you do, like to yourself and your parents.

My suggestion is you turn off the television, walk downtown, get a newspaper and peruse the classifieds. You'll feel better about yourself, your family will no doubt feel better about YOU, and you'll be on your way to actually financing and planning your trip. Having a plan and a concrete goal will make you feel better about yourself and better about things in general than you've felt for a long time.

Good luck!!

Dogwood
05-09-2010, 14:21
JT, while sounding harsh, may be right. It sounds like you have been floundering around without a job for almost 3 yrs. But, it's just not the job. It's the way you are thinking with little direction, goals, or committment. As a result you sound depressed, "bored", and double minded. Maybe I can. No, I can't. It's the lifestyle one can fall into when they find themselves out in the middle of a very big ocean with no rudder or sail on their boat and they don't know where they are going. I think you realize this.

Make no mistake about it a thru-hike, while possibly being a vehicle that can add more meaning to your life and help you clear your thoughts, also requires focus, committment, and resources. That committment includes a financial, physical, and mental committment. If you can't commit yourself to finding some type of employment in nearly 3 yrs or if the depth of your committment and focus limits you to the thoughts - who will mow the grass?, who will shovel the snow?, perhaps, attempting to take on the committment of a thru-hike is too big of a step right now. Perhaps, you might want to consider working up to the resonsibilities of a thru-hike,

There is sometimes a pre-hike thru-hiker mentality, and that varies from individual to individual, and then their is a thru-hiker mentaility that can develop as one is in the process of thru-hiking. Sometimes, the reason(s) one initially decided to thru-hike changes or are not valid or strong enough once out on the trail and physically thru-hiking. Sometimes those reasons are not enough for a prospective thru-hiker to continue on to Mt Katahdin. Despite what some believe, to have success at thru-hiking requires being highly responsible and committed.

As I read your statements, you said you have some apprehension about leaving the creature comforts of home, trouble staying out on the trail more than one night, a fear of contracting Lymes Disease, and other things(?). Well, anyone of those issues can prevent you from doing a thru-hike. You will need to address these concerns before you successfully take on a thru-hike.

Might I suggest, you find some employment, maybe not exactly what you desire but at least something that will get you off the couch and out of your parent's nest, and get out into the woods for a few nights. Try getting dirty, smelly, sweaty, wet with no TV, shower, refrigerator, thermostat that you can turn on/off for heat/AC, etc. Hopefully, you will find more meaning for your life, you will feel better about yourself, you will start having greater financial resources, you will meet others, and you will have a greater realization of some of the possible downsides to thru-hiking.

FritztheCat
05-09-2010, 14:54
Haven't thru hiked yet, that's next year. But I couldn't imagine even thinking about it if I didn't have the funds available. In your case, from what you've provided, I would say employment would be first on the list. Remember, a job is different than a career.

Getting a job to save the money for a thru hike would be probably give a boost to your plans. Especially as you see the funds add up, knowing you'd have enough for hostel and town stops. Your parents would probably also get behind you as they see you work toward your goal.

Who knows, thru hiking may inspire you to do something as a career. Good luck to you and if you make it next year, I'll see you on the trail!

Mags
05-09-2010, 16:19
If you are looking for a 'professional' job (I hate that term..but people know what I mean when I say it! :) ), it can be difficult currently.

However, if you are looking for part time work (or temp jobs with full time hours ) to save money, they can be found. Just before I started my current job (I was funemployed for a bit, and started seriously looking for a job after Labor Day), I was in the process of getting a temp job with the US Census. It varies by the area, but in the Denver metro, they were paying $17/hr! Not bad at all.

Blissful mentioned volunteering..great idea! Not only will you do something fun and helpful to better your community, you can network that way. I volunteered for trail work in the Fall, and the trail crew leader said if I was still looking for a job come April, to look him up. He was hiring for paid trail workers and would be glad to have me. Outdoor orgs, soup kitchens, community centers what-have-you are ALWAYS looking for volunteers. Why not do something beneficial with your free time? :)

Plenty of $10/hr jobs out there. After taxes, that's $300 or so for full time work. If you are living at home, you can start socking away money for the trip easily. Plus, I honestly think you'll feel better about yourself. :)

Good luck!

fw2008
05-09-2010, 20:13
You guys have given me some good advice, and encouragement, if not a reality check:)
I have been "double minded"; no doubt about that. I often find myself coming to forums like this one and reading, replying to, and starting new threads just for something to break the monotony.
Some of my concepts need to be re-thought.

Now, I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, but you have probably gotten the idea from a lot of my posting that I am a kid; but I'm not. I won't say how old I am, but I am old enough to have developed some pretty serious stubbornness. That is one reason finding a job is so difficult.
Another is that my resume - isn't. I simply don't have anything that would get me hired. I worked at the same job too long, and never bothered to explore new fields, then burned out at my job, and ended up getting laid off.

Maybe what I really need to do right now is find something I am interested in studying, and taking some college courses.

I do understand that in order to thru-hike the AT, I need money, and that requires a job; So maybe I first need to set my priorities straight.

There is another twist to my story now:
I just finished a 10 mile hike from/to Elk's Pen on NY 17, heading SOBO. Agony Grind, and lots of strenuous climbing. I was already having some trouble with my knees. It's the descent that is my problem.
So I'm wondering how I would ever do a long hike, with more weight on my back. Today, I had 20lbs. That's a lot for a day hike, but I was deliberately carrying more than I would normally to "test" myself for longer hikes.
(I took 3lbs worth of camera gear that I didn't use once!)

My knee problems are a result of my having been a marathon runner for a number of years, and the fact that I'm not 25 anymore:(

This hike was very good for me though. It was physically demanding, exhilarating, and put me into a very good mental state.
It made me realize that one does not have to hike long distances over many days to enjoy the trail.
What I need is to get myself away from the noise of traffic, and to challenge myself physically.
I met half a dozen thru-hikers, who started at various points south.

Thank you all for giving me some insight into my own mind! :)
Oh, and in reply to Jack Tarlin (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=227)'s comment on TV; I don't watch any television. Don't own one. Others in the house do, but I stay clear of it. I do admit I probably spend too much time online, but I still do pretty much running, so that gets me out regularly, and helps to clear my head.

FW

FritztheCat
05-09-2010, 20:46
FW, I know I'm gonig to open a can of worms with this comment but....

have you tried trekking poles? The poles really help me on downhills. I started with a $14 pair from Walmart (Swiss Gear) and found I really liked them, just not the shock absorber or the twist locking device, so I sprung and got Black Diamonds.

I mention this because I suffered two knee injuries in my youth. One was from football and the other from a 3 wheeler accident. Maybe they would help?

fw2008
05-09-2010, 20:57
FW, I know I'm gonig to open a can of worms with this comment but....

have you tried trekking poles? The poles really help me on downhills. I started with a $14 pair from Walmart (Swiss Gear) and found I really liked them, just not the shock absorber or the twist locking device, so I sprung and got Black Diamonds.

I mention this because I suffered two knee injuries in my youth. One was from football and the other from a 3 wheeler accident. Maybe they would help?
I have one trekking pole. It's a good one; Lekki, with the shock absorber and twist lock.
I almost bought a new pair when I saw them locally for $40 /set. I paid $40 for just the one, so it's a good price.

Today on my hike, everyone I met on the trail was using two, not one trekking pole.
So to answer your question; yes. I am going to purchase a second pole.

Thanks for your advice

FW

Dogwood
05-09-2010, 21:48
You got to start with what you have. If you are ever going to change yourself you have to stop doing some of the things that have gotten you to where you currently don't want to be.

I bet you have many more current assets available than you are realizing. You are just too focused on complaining about what you don't have, and what issues/problems/challenges you do, or MAY have. Stop magnifying all the glass is half full scenarios. For example, from what you've shared, right now you have some time available(how could you use it to your benefit?, workout physically, go on short hikes to build your hiking stamina and habituate yourself to the regimen of consistent hiking like you would be doing on a thru-hike), since you're at your parent's home you may very well be able to save some money, even if you weren't able to land the highest paying or most optimal position. And, I'll give another heads-up to Mags suggestion that you volunteer someplace until you do land that paying job. After you get that paying job, perhaps, you can continue to volunteer but on a more restrictive basis while also working. Forget the idea that you need the perfect resume, can't learn or start something new, even if it's menial labor, and ditch the, "I might get laid off fear!" It's spring time. Lots of jobs, even if only temp ones, have recently opened up.

I think it's a great start that you got out to hike, challenged yourself both physically and mentally, and you say, "you realized that one does not have to go hike long distances over many days to enjoy the trail." I think as you get out and hike more often not only will you be changing your physical environment but in the process you will start to become clearer on what you want and more motivated to pursue it with enthusiasm and passion. It seems from what you are now saying, as compared to the quality and content of your original post, that you've taken a step forward. You sound more optimistic and more oriented to postive change. I would say continue forward with what you've started!

modiyooch
05-09-2010, 22:01
Once one invests in initial equipment, how is thru hiking any more expensive than living at home? I mean, you have to eat anyway. You don't have daily transportation fees. I think the "expensive" part of hiking seems to be the town trips with restaurants, bars, entertainment and hotel rooms. ok, maybe showers and laundry. My showers have even been free at times.

fw2008
05-09-2010, 22:07
Once one invests in initial equipment, how is thru hiking any more expensive than living at home? I mean, you have to eat anyway. You don't have daily transportation fees. I think the "expensive" part of hiking seems to be the town trips with restaurants, bars, entertainment and hotel rooms. ok, maybe showers and laundry. My showers have even been free at times.
Well, actually I'm living with my parents, and for the time being am not paying for my meals, or rent.
Instead, I do stuff around the house; wiring, plumbing, digging a garden for my mom, and running errands.

I think my main concern for the immediate future is to keep my attitude positive. It is sometimes difficult; my dad is the most negative person I have ever known. I could make an ethnic joke here, but I'll refrain from that:D

FW

fw2008
05-09-2010, 22:08
Dogwood; you have offered some very good advice. I appreciate it.

FW

sbhikes
05-11-2010, 10:30
You have to understand that these so-called "comforts" of home are mainly programmed into you by convention and television. When you live on a long trail you learn that home is wherever you are and you do not need many things to be happy and comfortable.

Walking all day long every day can get a little boring after 1000 miles or so, but I still think that more stuff happens in any given minute on the trail than ever happens anywhere in the so-called "real" world. I just love it out there. In any case, you can bring a book to read at night or a book to listen to on an iPod during the day.

I would suggest that if you can swing the hike that you do go. It might just give you some direction. It would at the very least show you that you can accomplish a lot more than you think you can. It might also show you what is truly important in life. It probably will not give you any direction for the rest of your life or make any big changes, but it will do something for you. You will have to find out for yourself what that is.

However, if you do not have a real desire and it's just an idea you are sort of toying with, you might be better off taking classes. Just like a hike, making any forward progress in your life is a matter of taking that first step. Just take one step forward and see where it goes. You'll get somewhere eventually.

weary
05-11-2010, 13:12
Who knows? But it's a fact a lot of people on the trail are in transition. You know, things like:
1. Retirement
2. Divorce
3. Graduation or other life change

I would add, death in the family, and sickness of a friend, relative, or self.

Weary

weary
05-11-2010, 13:57
......Oh, and in reply to Jack Tarlin (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=227)'s comment on TV; I don't watch any television. Don't own one. Others in the house do, but I stay clear of it. I do admit I probably spend too much time online, but I still do pretty much running, so that gets me out regularly, and helps to clear my head. FW
Americans as a whole certainly watch too much television. But that doesn't mean not watching any television is necessarily a good thing. If you want to understand what is happening in society, some television strikes me as a necessity. I like the news hour each evening; some of the news analysis and commentary, even 60 minutes, if only the final couple of minutes with Andy Rooney.

Weary

Lilred
05-11-2010, 14:55
I have one trekking pole. It's a good one; Lekki, with the shock absorber and twist lock.
I almost bought a new pair when I saw them locally for $40 /set. I paid $40 for just the one, so it's a good price.

Today on my hike, everyone I met on the trail was using two, not one trekking pole.
So to answer your question; yes. I am going to purchase a second pole.

Thanks for your advice

FW

Buy another Leki. I don't know if you are aware of their return policy. If anything goes wrong with the pole, they fix it or replace it free of charge, for as long as you own them. Makes the extra money well worth it in the long run, you'll never have to buy another.

lynnmarie
08-28-2010, 20:10
I wanted to make a comment to your questions even though I have yet to thru-hike if I may. I just wanted to say that I remember reading a paper that was written by a well known A.T. and long distance hiker named Cindy Ross. I believe it was included in some thru-hike info that I had requested, possibly from the ATC or ALDHA a long time ago. It was a piece entitled "Long Dreams, Short Reality" ( I have tried unsuccesfully to find this on the internet and provide a link) in which she basically asks the potential thru-hiker(yourself) to be honest about his or her desires to do a long distance trek of this magnitude, and to ask themselves some serious questions. She states that you will need to understand that being alone for very long periods of time will not be uncommon. You will need to be out there because you really, really want to. She states, "When you get down to the essentials, desire, passion and willpower matter most on a long hike. You have to taste that goal. Eat, sleep and drink your dream. Want it more than anything else. Otherwise that first blister, the first heavy rain, that first tiny reason for an excuse will send you home. The only way to get this desire is to absolutely love being out there: living in the outdoors,walking, carrying your home on your back,sleeping in a new spot everynight." There was much more wisdom written by her in this essay if you will, but you get the picture. To this day this was one of the very best if not the best written article I have ever read in explaining how one needs to understand how to honestly approach a consideration to long distance hike any major trail. From what you are saying and the questions you are asking, this is what you need to do. You need to want to hike the A.T. more than anything else, or you will simply not. It's as easy as that. And this is not even considering injury, lack of funds, problems arising at home, etc...Understand thru-hiking is not for everyone. You could consider a long section hike instead, which for yourself could/may be a better choice. Whatever you choose, the bottom line is enjoy yourself out there. Good Luck

http://books.google.com/books?id=7-IDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA58&lpg=PA58&dq=%22long+dreams,+short+reality%22+cindy+ross&source=bl&ots=gfxw8tF822&sig=gWl90AoKwi171SiOfKPzXGxlE3k&hl=en&ei=86N5TMzsMo2isQOTqdXsCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22long%20dreams%2C%20short%20reality%22%20cindy %20ross&f=false

weary
08-28-2010, 21:33
I very much agree.

Tinker
08-28-2010, 21:35
I haven't read others' comments, but would suggest that you:
1) Get a job (anything is better than nothing, as it gives you a sense of purpose).
2) Move out of your parent's house (I don't know how old you are, but you seem to be mature enough to communicate your thoughts well), and
3) Learn to deal with the fear of the unknown and look at it as a challenge rather than an obstacle which you are more than a match for.
4) Oh, yes, get out and HIKE, for cryin' out loud.
Take time to "Walk, and to see, and to see what you see" - Benton MacKaye, dreamer and father of the AT vision.
Take care.

IronGutsTommy
08-28-2010, 22:19
been in a similar situation. got a job at a mcdonalds.. demeaning a lil perhaps, but 1 it made ends meet and much more importaNtly 2. it gave me a sense of purpose. I think every man over the age of 15 needs a job. theres a bravado and hunter mentality in all of us to create, provide, etc. unless youre seriously injured.. 3 years is an insane amount of time to not find a job, and its wrong they still allow u to collect unemployment checks, which are paid for by people out there who are gainfully employed. youll feel alot better when ure employed in ANY job.

IronGutsTommy
08-28-2010, 22:22
of course, i was living in a car for the short time i was unemployed, so that lit a fire under my rear end to get moving, something u seem to be lacking.. best of luck

Lyle
08-29-2010, 08:47
So, I'm wondering what were your deciding factors for starting your TH (whether you completed it or not). For me it was being in a Job I did not like, working with people I had little in common with. I was single, had no obligations I couldn't easily eliminate, and knew I wasn't a materialistic type of person.
What did you consider the hardest part about leaving home for up to 6mos living minimally on the trail? I did not find this hard at all. It was easy and one of the most rewarding parts of a long hike, learning how little is actually needed to be completely happy, and mostly comfortable.

Did you miss any of your home comforts (besides your family and friends) when you started, and how long did it take for you to get over it? Very occasionally, while on an extended rest day or two, a car would have been nice. Even that, tho, was provided on one occasion when a local family loaned a group of us their's. Of course, this was a while ago, before we all got so attached to our electronic gizmos. Still wouldn't be a problem for me.

Did your life change significantly as a result of your TH? Yes, to this day, when I get stressed, I can look back on the hike and realize that what I'm worrying about isn't really important to my happiness. I have food, shelter and family - all that is needed.

FW

Having answered your direct questions, I will say that Jack Tarlin makes a very valid point. While hiking for six months or a year is less expensive than most other ways to pass that time, it does still take some money. You do need to save some, and have the ability to find work, any kind of work, to raise more. When I was on my trip, several other hikers obtained two-day to two-week jobs to supplement their money in towns we passed by. I managed a job for a month at a local hospital, with the full knowledge of the employer that it would be short term, and their full support. During that time, I also did odd jobs of raking leaves and other yard work for some elderly folks around town.

Prior to going in the hike, I kept my existing job, got a second menial job to supplement it, sold my car, furniture and most of my possessions. You do need to commit to the dream, then do whatever is necessary to make it happen. If you cannot do this, then it is only a dream and will remain that.

jersey joe
08-29-2010, 09:37
...You will need to be out there because you really, really want to. She states, "When you get down to the essentials, desire, passion and willpower matter most on a long hike. You have to taste that goal. Eat, sleep and drink your dream. Want it more than anything else. Otherwise that first blister, the first heavy rain, that first tiny reason for an excuse will send you home. The only way to get this desire is to absolutely love being out there...
I believe that embarking on a thru hike because you are unsatisfied with your life for some reason and just want to get away is not enough. It will likely result in a failed attempt. You need to really want to thru hike.

yari
08-29-2010, 10:44
I believe that embarking on a thru hike because you are unsatisfied with your life for some reason and just want to get away is not enough. It will likely result in a failed attempt. You need to really want to thru hike.

I hope you aren't completely right. I am seriously considering quitting my job next February and starting the AT on March 15th. One of the main reasons is I am tired of the life I am leading and I want a major change. I just can't decide what direction that change is going to take. I have talked to some people about doing this and I have had reactions from "You are nuts to quit a well paying job in this economy!" to "Go for it sister, you have wanted to do this for a long time" (from my sister). I am 48 years old, I need to decide what I want to do with the time I have remaining to me in this life and I know it isn't what I am doing now. I am hoping that time away on the trail will give me some space to think and insight into myself and what I truly want.

jersey joe
08-29-2010, 11:18
I hope you aren't completely right. I am seriously considering quitting my job next February and starting the AT on March 15th. One of the main reasons is I am tired of the life I am leading and I want a major change. I just can't decide what direction that change is going to take. I have talked to some people about doing this and I have had reactions from "You are nuts to quit a well paying job in this economy!" to "Go for it sister, you have wanted to do this for a long time" (from my sister). I am 48 years old, I need to decide what I want to do with the time I have remaining to me in this life and I know it isn't what I am doing now. I am hoping that time away on the trail will give me some space to think and insight into myself and what I truly want.
Well, to elaborate my point, I just meant a failed completion of the trail, not a complete failure. I would actually encourage anyone to give a thru hike a shot, the worst that happens is you have a few days or a few weeks out backpacking in the woods, which is still pretty cool and can help give you some deeper perspective on your life. And heck, if you are really stubborn, like me, you can even complete a thru hike, even if it isn't your dream.

weary
08-29-2010, 11:39
Six months of trail life is certainly a life-changing event for many people. But it is not a magic wand that will fix just anyone. I think of my long walk almost daily, though it occurred 17 years ago now. My desire, however, was not a thru hike, but just a long season outside, exploring wild places, experiencing whatever nature had to offer.

That is the desire, I suspect, that is most likely to result in success -- far more likely perhaps than simply a desire for change, or a desire to challenge oneself with a 2,000- mile walk.

Long distance hikers all face multiple plausible excuses to quit. Injuries, troubles at home, money ... the list is endless.

A genuine desire to experience the natural world day after day, week in and week out, I believe, is most likely to overcome the powerful excuses everyone faces.

The trail is a long green tunnel only to those who have not taken the time to understand and appreciate the ever changing bits of life that inhabit that tunnel.

I read books and journals of hikers, and meet them on the trail in Maine, who find the trail a long boring job, whose only joy as they approach the end is the realization that the task is finally ending. One author told his readers as he wandered through Maine that he had no idea about the names of most of the trees he was passing. No wonder his only joy was that the trek was almost over.

Weary

BrianLe
08-29-2010, 14:07
Yari said:

"I am hoping that time away on the trail will give me some space to think and insight into myself and what I truly want."

I was looking for quite the same thing on my first long distance trip, and I certainly got it, though on the AT in particular you might get it less than you might think if you end up hiking with a group or even just one trail partner. The most complete "space to think" time for me were the extended periods when I was hiking solo.

The one thing that did become clear to me was that I wasn't going to come up with any real idea of what I want to do "next" while on the trail unless enough background data was already in my head. You generally can't spend time on the internet researching possibilties, after all --- you get little new input. Space to think and insight into yourself you might get, I'm just saying that you might want to tune your expectations down in terms of what those things might actually do for you --- hard to say of course, as we're each of us different on this stuff!

As it turns out, my "next thing" is another long distance backpacking trip, so I ultimately ended up just sort of putting off the problem a bit further! :-)

yari
08-29-2010, 14:40
Thanks for the responses.

I have wanted to hike the trail since I was in my early twenties. I have always loved the outdoors and living a very simple life. I get a lot of teasing that I am a Luddite ( I don't have a cell phone, TV, microwave, etc.) The time to think and reflect is a bonus added to the joy of being able to live for 6 months or more (I am hoping that I will be in no hurry to finish) out in nature in a simple uncomplicated way. I will be hiking alone, possibly with my dog. (After finding this site and reading the dogs on the trail section I have some serious reservations about bringing my dog).

Honestly, I need to do a lot more research and prep so your input is appreciated.

Luddite
08-29-2010, 15:55
Nothing wrong with being a Luddite. :)

yari
08-29-2010, 16:01
Nothing wrong with being a Luddite. :)

Heh.

Exactly.

:D

Pedaling Fool
08-29-2010, 16:11
Wouldn't Ted Kaczynski qualify as a luddite:eek:

:sun

10-K
08-29-2010, 17:37
You can't judge a luddite by his possessions.

10-K
08-29-2010, 17:39

Ted Kaczynski probably believes in global warming... I mean climate change.

Luddite
08-29-2010, 18:23

No, a Luddite kills machines, not people. I just looked him up on Wiki and learned that he got life in prison and not the death penalty. Didn't know that.

Dogwood
08-29-2010, 18:31
Ted Kazynski, aka Unibomber, lived only a few miles off the CDT in a cabin!

Luddite
08-29-2010, 18:56
Ted Kazynski, aka Unibomber, lived only a few miles off the CDT in a cabin!

I think they brought that cabin down to Sacramento from Montana to explain to the jury that theres something wrong with someone who would live in such a cabin. What about people who live in three-sided shelters? :p

Tuckahoe
08-29-2010, 19:06
No, a Luddite kills machines, not people. I just looked him up on Wiki and learned that he got life in prison and not the death penalty. Didn't know that.

Ummm no...

Real luddites infact not only destroyed machines, but committed many murders as well. Real luddites also were active in early 19th century England...

Anything else is really just a cool poser (writing as one that thought he was really cool with Ludite as an AOL address).

yari
08-29-2010, 21:14
Well, I am not planning on killing anyone. Machines? That is another story. I am in charge of our (small) computer network at work. I would happily kill those machines on almost a daily basis. At least teach them to fly by flinging them out a window. I also wouldn't mind snatching cell phones out of certain people's hands and grinding them into the dirt with a boot heel.

See why I need to go on a long hike? I am going to get in trouble. ;)

sbhikes
08-29-2010, 21:41

Yari, you remind me of me. I had a really good corporate job at a good company doing computer stuff. I was 43 at the time. I quit my job because I was tired of the life I was leading and wanted a change. I mean, every night I'd climb into bed and wonder, what day is it? What month? What season? I'd hang my head and sigh before opening the door to the office. Oh god, another day in there, wasted, not seeing the sun, only feeling the air-conditioning. How can all these people find all this fulfilling?

I always wanted to hike the PCT so I quit my job and six weeks later I was on the trail. I hoped I could take the time and think and figure out what to do next. I hiked alone the whole way. I never did figure out what to do next. I'd tell myself to concentrate, let's really think this through, and nothing would come to me.

When I got home I felt a profound sense of change in me and I'm filled with wonderful memories that I think about almost every minute of every day. But I never figured out what to do next. I'm again working behind a computer screen, writing code. Not only that, but I'm taking classes to learn new computer languages. I feel resigned to it, not really impassioned by it. Oh well. At some point I felt resigned to the PCT too and I still made it and it still meant a lot to me and I still think fondly on every single day of the hike no matter how much I was wanting to go home. I loved every single fully-alive minute.

The good news is that I feel less afraid of the future. Sure I make half what I did at the corporate job, but for some reason it doesn't bother me. I still have enough at the end of the month to save for another big adventure. I have time to hike. I could hike any day I want because my current job is only part time. Having time is more important to me than money. That's about the only real conclusion I came to out there. I was the wealthiest woman in the whole world because I had time and I had all the wildflowers I could ever want and I could see what was beyond every single turn in the trail and never run out of turns. So I know what matters and who cares about the "career." Phooey on careers. What matters is if you are living life fully.

yari
08-29-2010, 21:57
sbhikes:

You are right, we sound a lot alike.

I do have some ideas on what I want to do once I finish a hike. I have some other life long dreams that I want to pursue. The question is which one am I going to concentrate on. I learned long ago that you can't have everything in life and I have never wanted it "all". The career and money thing has never been important except as a vehicle to survive. Since thru hiking the AT is one of those dreams that I want to accomplish, finding answers while out there would be a bonus. Although I have a feeling that it will confim that I no longer want to work for anyone else and hopefully it will boost my confidence to pursue my other dreams.

Thanks for the post sbhikes.

DapperD
08-29-2010, 23:44
http://books.google.com/books?id=7-IDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA58&lpg=PA58&dq=%22long+dreams,+short+reality%22+cindy+ross&source=bl&ots=gfxw8tF822&sig=gWl90AoKwi171SiOfKPzXGxlE3k&hl=en&ei=86N5TMzsMo2isQOTqdXsCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22long%20dreams%2C%20short%20reality%22%20cindy %20ross&f=falseGreat Job!:sun

I believe that embarking on a thru hike because you are unsatisfied with your life for some reason and just want to get away is not enough. It will likely result in a failed attempt. You need to really want to thru hike.I believe you are right. I believe one really does need to have the desire to do a long hike like a Thru-Hike, or they will not. I remember someone saying that if you really like golf, that may be, but how would you like to be golfing everyday, all-day, in the rain, cold, heat, etc...for up to six months? A Thru-Hike is going to really test someones mettle, and there will be times, no doubt about it, when one will want to quit. Without the desire to continue on when these thoughts arise, then one simply will not. There are going to be countless excuses to quit. I do however believe that it is hard to completely tell who will always be successful and who will not. I am sure there are people who maybe did not completely believe they would be able to finish and went on and did just that:-?.

Many Walks
08-30-2010, 00:11
Yari, you are on the right track simply by following your dreams. Too many people don't and regret it later. I have yet to meet anyone who wished they had worked more at an unsatisfying job instead of pursuing their dreams, but I've met several people who followed their dream and wouldn't take that job back for anything, including myself. You mentioned you already have ideas of things you'd like to pursue. While on the trail you will have the opportunity to think, sort things out, and with luck find the direction you're looking for to move toward a more fulfilling life. It all depends what you do with it.

I think it was Dolly Parton who said, “If you don't like the road you're on, pave a new one.”

If you have some savings to fund your hike, make arrangements for the areas of your life that will need attention while you're away, and get your gear organized for the long haul, you can get to a frame of mind where you can function as a hiker almost indefinitely. Assuming you take care of yourself and stay healthy/injury free, that freedom will allow you to go as far as you desire on the trail. Without the corporation grinding away at your creativity and by living most days simply in the woods, your thoughts can turn to honest evaluation of your skills, potential, and passions. It's entirely possible that when you've come to the end of your hike, no matter where it is, you'll have a better understanding of your abilities and where you'd like to go next. Even if you don't have a grand revelation, you most likely will have had a great hike while meeting a community of very interesting people...and that's a good thing in itself.

Best wishes and enjoy your hike!

rhjanes
08-30-2010, 09:50
Yari and all, one consideration right now, in this "bad" economy, is when you do return to the work force, how easy will it be to find a job with your existing skills? Case in point: Me. I've been in computers since 1981. I'm in a small niche where a LOT of the jobs have been and continue to get outsourced and offshored. In the last 4 years, I've only seen about ONE job in the Metro Dallas/FW area for what I do. SO, quitting with the expectation of coming back to the same job with the same skills, is a fantasy. Just be careful!

Grampie
08-30-2010, 09:58
Wow, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you're healthy enough to contemplate a thru-hike, you're healthy enough to be working.

Your posts says you're wondering where the money for your trip will come from.

Well, for most folks, it comes from savings, i.e. they live simply, scrimp and save, don't spend $ on things they don't need, and in many cases, get a second or third job.

Or maybe a first one. :-?

Three years without work is a long time, and you say you have no obligations? Well, maybe you do, like to yourself and your parents.

My suggestion is you turn off the television, walk downtown, get a newspaper and peruse the classifieds. You'll feel better about yourself, your family will no doubt feel better about YOU, and you'll be on your way to actually financing and planning your trip. Having a plan and a concrete goal will make you feel better about yourself and better about things in general than you've felt for a long time.

Good luck!!

Jack: As always, good thoughts and advise.
My comment would be: If you don't have enough git up to find a job, you certainly won't have enough to do a thru-hike.:rolleyes:

DapperD
09-01-2010, 21:58
Ted Kazynski, aka Unibomber, lived only a few miles off the CDT in a cabin!Now he has a nice new home at a state-of-the art Colorado SuperMax Prison complete with invisible laser beam alarms and panels that open up releasing Timbershepards that attack with no sound do to the fact that their voiceboxes have been surgically removed:eek:

IronGutsTommy
09-02-2010, 21:05
dont forget the moat with sharks with frickin lazers mounted on them using ULA pack technology

Blue Jay
09-03-2010, 10:28
When I got home I felt a profound sense of change in me and I'm filled with wonderful memories that I think about almost every minute of every day. Having time is more important to me than money. That's about the only real conclusion I came to out there. I was the wealthiest woman in the whole world because I had time and I had all the wildflowers I could ever want and I could see what was beyond every single turn in the trail and never run out of turns. Phooey on careers. What matters is if you are living life fully.

Thank you sooooo much for that. I have a great deal of trouble putting this into words and you just nailed it. I get to see beyond every single turn and never run out of turns. Wow, I'm blown away.

DapperD
09-04-2010, 00:14
Now he has a nice new home at a state-of-the art Colorado SuperMax Prison complete with invisible laser beam alarms and panels that open up releasing Timbershepards that attack with no sound do to the fact that their voiceboxes have been surgically removed:eek:

dont forget the moat with sharks with frickin lazers mounted on them using ULA pack technologyThis was actually supposedly true, it was something that I read in the newspaper many years back:D