PDA

View Full Version : Better Site Anyway

Thumper 2006
10-25-2004, 10:04
What's up, I am a new member of this site and am very glad i found it. An ego-maniac gave me the boot off his site because i asked why he was so committed to pushing people's buttons. Anyway I am starting my southbound thru-hike in june and am still trying to get a few of my questions answered. Number 1 am i going to see any snow in during my hike? (2) will my 40 degree mtn hardwear bag be enough start with (i will be switching bags at the end of the summer). (3) I will be riding a bus from south carolina to Maine so where do I need to buy my ticket too (city in Maine)? (4) What is the best south bound thru-hikers companion book to use (Winfoots in hard to read backwards) so which should i use? Thanks, and I am looking foward to your answers.

Kerosene
10-25-2004, 10:11
I'll take a stab at #2: No, you will want to start out with a 20 degree bag in June in Maine. My guess is that you won't switch to your lighter bag until after the Whites, although you're likely to have a few nights where you're too warm.

TREE-HUGGER
10-25-2004, 10:18
As far as snow, it all depends on the type of spring Maine has next year. If it's wet and cool you may have a dusting or two at higher elevations. Typicaly part of April and May is known as Mud season and most of May is ice out which brings on the black flies. As far as a bag, I would definitely carry a 20 degree bag, it will still be early enough in case you are in that 40 degree rain situation for several days and you might need a little extra. Also you need to bus to Bangor and then catch the run to Millinocket.

The Solemates
10-25-2004, 10:19
I wonder what ego-maniac that is?! Nevermind...I dont wanna get people riled up.

Dude, Im from Greer!!! I just thru-hiked this year. Email me and I would be very happy to tell you all I know about it. We may have even heard of each other...

about your questions, I am guessing you will be starting in June or so since you are SOBO, but your exact start time would help answer the question of the sleeping bag. I dont really think 45 will be warm enough, but it all depends on several factors.

The closest town to Katahdin is Millinocket. You will have no problem finding a ride into the park from there.

ALDHA has a free download of their companion online, or you can purchase it and support em. www.aldha.org.

PS..why SOBO?

TREE-HUGGER
10-25-2004, 10:23
On the snow thing, I missed the point you were talking about your whole hike. Yes you can definitely see snow on the southern end. We had snow/ sleet last weekend in Grayson highlands in Virginia.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2004, 10:31
#3. There is bus service as far as Medway, Me. which is about 35-40 miles from Baxter Park. Taxi or hitch from there.

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2004, 12:55
What's up, I am a new member of this site and am very glad i found it. An ego-maniac gave me the boot off his site because i asked why he was so committed to pushing people's buttons. Anyway I am starting my southbound thru-hike in june and am still trying to get a few of my questions answered. Number 1 am i going to see any snow in during my hike? (2) will my 40 degree mtn hardwear bag be enough start with (i will be switching bags at the end of the summer). (3) I will be riding a bus from south carolina to Maine so where do I need to buy my ticket too (city in Maine)? (4) What is the best south bound thru-hikers companion book to use (Winfoots in hard to read backwards) so which should i use? Thanks, and I am looking foward to your answers.
:welcome
Are you tenting? If so your bag is fine for June in Maine.
Be sure to check the AT2005 threads here.
The ALDHA Companion has pretty good information about getting to Baxter,
you can view it for free as mentioned at www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org) and the 2005 edition will be available online and for purchase from the ATC's website. You can take the bus or train to Portland, catch a different bus to Bangor, another one to Medway, and the local van/taxi to Millinocket, the Park Gate, or even right to Katahdin Strem Campground. There are also a fair number of us Whiteblaze members who'll be around the trail in Maine come June, so don't forget to check here for rides, shuttles, or hooking up with other MEGA05ers.

TJ

Frosty
10-25-2004, 15:33
:welcome
Are you tenting? If so your bag is fine for June in Maine.TJGeez, you sure? Maybe Maine is warmer than NH, but I'd bring my 20* bag for an overnight in the Whites. I think with a 40* bag in Maine in June, you'll have a few night where you break camp aobut 2:00 a.m. just to start hiking to get warm.

MileMonster
10-25-2004, 16:39
#4 - mail yourself appropriate pages from the ATC Data Book and ALDHA Thru Hiker's Companion. The Data Book is printed north to south.

creaky bones
10-25-2004, 22:21
I went backpacking on Mt. Rogers last week-end and got snow, sleet, rain, wind and fog- even though it was 65 degrees during the day at the base of the mountain. Our 20 degree bags were borderline warm enough- even though we were out of the wind. I had a friend who woke up to snow one year at Mt Rogers on labor day week-end. You might switch back to a 20 degree bag when you head into the elevations during the fall.

Rosie
10-26-2004, 09:15
I was with Creaky Bones last weekend in Mt. Rogers and I didn't freeze in my 20 degree bag, but a warmer bag would have been more comfortable. My vote is the 20 degree bag.:)

peakbagger
10-26-2004, 12:56
You mentioned starting your hike in June. There is quite a difference between starting June 1st then on June 30th!. Back Fly season is usually at full tilt until the end of June (and sometimes into July) along the AT in Maine. Plan on bringing and using DEET bug repellent (I like 3M Ultrathon as it lasts longer) and bug netting and if you use shelters or a tarp tent. The temps can range from 30 at night and 80 during the day.

The actual bus stop is in Medway Maine. There is taxi service in Millinocket but its not a cheap trip. There is a lot of traffic that runs from I- 95 towards the park entrance so hitching is not bad, although you need to make sure that you hitch to the right spot. The main road splits north or Millinocket, and a lot of traffic heads up the "golden road" a major private road, you want the state route that ends at the park gate at Togue pond. If you accidently hitch the golden road, you do cross the AT at Abol bridge, but its outside the park boundary and you would need to backtrack into the park.

BTW, If you possibly can work it out, go up the back side of Katahdin via the Knifes Edge trail rather than backtracking the Hunt Trail from Katahdin stream. The knifes edge trail in good weather has no equal anywhere on the AT. (stay away from it in bad weather).

Thumper 2006
10-27-2004, 09:40
You guys have been very helpful and i really appreciate it. June is coming and I can barely even study because this is all I think about. If any of you guys live close to south carolina or may want to visit. We have beautiful backpacking spots so feel free to enjoy them thanks very much.

TJ aka Teej
10-27-2004, 10:36
Here's an idea for you, Wonderer:

www.soruck.com (http://www.soruck.com)

An Appalachian Trail Get-together!

Sponsered by the AT-L email list www.backcountry.net (http://www.backcountry.net/)

Martin Luther King Weekend - January 14-16, 2005 (Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon)

At Camp Thornwell in Northwest SC

435 Sugar Likker Road, Sunset SC 29685
hosted by Sunrise (Sunny) and Sunset - AT '02

Tater
10-28-2004, 03:50
Easy tip is, if in doubt take the warmer bag.