PDA

View Full Version : Shelter and Pack for MT

agutwin
05-08-2010, 18:44
I'm going to be hiking the MT section of the CDT this year, starting June 15th. I'm still debating over the big two items, pack and shelter. I'm thinking of an Osprey Exos 46 and a tarptent contrail. Any suggestions/comments?

I'm new to thru hiking, but am traveling with two extremely experienced dudes.

Thanks!

Nean
05-08-2010, 18:55
I'm going to be hiking the MT section of the CDT this year, starting June 15th. I'm still debating over the big two items, pack and shelter. I'm thinking of an Osprey Exos 46 and a tarptent contrail. Any suggestions/comments?

I'm new to thru hiking, but am traveling with two extremely experienced dudes.

Thanks!

Extremly experienced on the CDT?:) No matter, gear isn't a deal breaker, bring warm clothes as chances are there will be some cold nights, cold rain and probably snowfall. I prefer a tent for a shelter for many reasons but many have done it w/ a tarp.;)

agutwin
05-08-2010, 19:13
Nean, my friends are extremely experienced in general. They both grew up hiking in Glacier and Yellowstone. I have taught for Outward Bound for two seasons and in another outdoor education program for 6 years. I understand that the gear I carry will not be a "deal breaker" but I want to be reasonably comfortable.

That being said, I would like some specific advice on the pack and shelter aspect of hiking the CDT in MT. You said you prefer a tent. Why? What kind of tent?

Thank you!

Connie
05-08-2010, 23:29
Because of wind, I prefer an OR Bug Bivy and a tarp (if I can rig it) otherwise I use the tarp cowboy bedroll-style. I don't like a tent, although I have used a Beta-Mid.

I like to see around me.

SunnyWalker
05-13-2012, 16:01
Gatewood poncho/tarp

Slo-go'en
05-13-2012, 18:09
augtwin, Why not ask your two very experianced friends? As for my 2 cents;

I also hope to hike the MT section of the CDT, starting the begining of July (sobo). The main issue I see is being able to carry up to 7-8 days of food when leaving town. Gotta make sure the pack is big enough for that and can carry that kind of load. That's at least 10 to 15 pounds over the gear wieght. I'm really thinking hard about using an external frame pack for this trip.

As for shelter, I'm in the tent camp. I want protection from the bugs (there will be bugs!) and for me it works the best of the available options.

Montana Mac
05-13-2012, 18:39
Depending when in July you go you may find snow still on the higher elevations - There is currently 42.5 inches of water-equivalent snow on Flattop Mountain.

Montana Mac
05-13-2012, 18:42
Depending when in July you go you may find snow still on the higher elevations - There is currently 42.5 inches of water-equivalent snow on Flattop Mountain.
My error - it was Mar 12 not May 12 reading I was looking at :p

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2012, 18:44
Agutwin's last activity date was 05-08-10, hopefully he found the answers he needed.

Montana Mac
05-13-2012, 19:04
Agutwin's last activity date was 05-08-10, hopefully he found the answers he needed.

Not sure who you were responding to - My reply was aimed at Slo-go'en who said he wanted to start in July - his post is dated today.

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2012, 19:14
I was referring to the opening poster, but if this thread still has some life to it, then pay me no mind.