PDA

View Full Version : UTIs on the trail

Rebekah
05-08-2010, 20:22
I am very prone to bladder infections and am worried about the Trail making them worse again. I got a UTI last year on what was supposed to be a 5-day section hike, but turned into just 3 days.

My husband and I leave for a 7-day trip next weekend and I don't want to have this problem again! Any suggestions? I know cotton underwear is best, but that gets stinky after hours of hiking. I've used Azo Cranberry after the fact, but never as preventative measures. Does that actually work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

10-K
05-08-2010, 20:35
Given that it's a relatively short trip why not start a course of antibiotics a few days before you go on your hike as a prophylactic measure?

Blissful
05-08-2010, 20:43
I take a mega cranberry tab every day. I get it from Swanson. I also wear lightday liners which I change every day and bring several pairs of ex officio underwear or the like (cotton underwear when you perspire stay wet and contribute to bacteria growth. Though I wear a pair at night only). Also be sure to empty your bladder fully and of course, drink lots of water.

Rebekah
05-08-2010, 21:03
Given that it's a relatively short trip why not start a course of antibiotics a few days before you go on your hike as a prophylactic measure?

I try to avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. They have all kinds of other side effects, including messing with birth control pills.

I take a mega cranberry tab every day. I get it from Swanson. I also wear lightday liners which I change every day

Is the mega cranberry stronger than the azo? Not familiar with Swanson, should I look for it at a health foods store? I used ex-officio undies last trip, but without the liners, I'll give that a try.

Jammer
05-09-2010, 00:54
I am very prone to bladder infections and am worried about the Trail making them worse again. I got a UTI last year on what was supposed to be a 5-day section hike, but turned into just 3 days.

My husband and I leave for a 7-day trip next weekend and I don't want to have this problem again! Any suggestions? I know cotton underwear is best, but that gets stinky after hours of hiking. I've used Azo Cranberry after the fact, but never as preventative measures. Does that actually work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Cotton underwear is never the best for hikers.

Hoop
05-09-2010, 07:32
Make a point to stay very hydrated.

Mrs Baggins
05-09-2010, 08:13

Cotton gets wet and then doesn't dry out...allows lots of bacteria growth.

mkmangold
05-10-2010, 02:10

Are you talking actual bladder infections or vaginal yeast infections? From the rest of the posts, the distinction is not quite clear.
Sulfa medications (Bactrim-DS) don't mess up birth control and low doses are prescribed to women prone to bladder infections naturally. However, if you really mean a yeast infection, antibiotics can make them worse. In that case, you'll probably want to go commando and take along a couple of diflucan tablets which are dosed once a week. Complicating this is a bacterial vaginosis which also gets worse in warm, moist environments (as in yeast infections) but which responds to a different antibiotic and not sulfa nor diflucan.
As far as Azo cranberry, that helps prevent bacteria from sticking to the walls of your bladder so it would be mildly preventative in true bladder infections and totally worthless in yeast or bacterial vaginosis infections.

hellomolly
05-10-2010, 09:18
I am so sorry you have to deal with this... what a miserable thing to have happen!

I am not prone to them like you are, but when I did have an instance of one, I got the antibiotics and such but I also took cranberry pills (available at any Rite Aid or Walgreens) every day. Basically gives you all the benefits of drinking straight cranberry juice without the ridiculously bitter taste. I took two pills at each meal and peed like crazy! (They act as a diuretic.)

I think if you took one or two pills at each meal, that might be a good preventative measure. They are big pills but are very lightweight so that shouldn't be a problem. Better than lugging around a big bottle of cranberry juice.

Blissful
05-10-2010, 12:25
I try to avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. They have all kinds of other side effects, including messing with birth control pills.

Is the mega cranberry stronger than the azo? Not familiar with Swanson, should I look for it at a health foods store? I used ex-officio undies last trip, but without the liners, I'll give that a try.

Swanson is an online store where I buy my vitamins, herbs etc
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/

Rebekah
05-10-2010, 15:19
Thank you for all the advice. It is bladder infections, not yeast infections. Maybe I remembered incorrectly, because I know cotton is good for yeast infections, but I also know that they're not good for hiking! I will be taking plenty of cranberry pills! I'm thinking maybe calling my doctor and asking for a 'just-in-case' antibiotic too. I definitely don't want to take unnecessary antibiotics, but if i do need them it would be nice to be prepared. thanks again!

hellsbells
05-27-2010, 13:36
I am extraordinarily prone to getting UTIs. My best advice, and this will work, is drink lots of water, and it might be a bit personal, but either don't have sex while on the trail, or if you do, make sure you go pee immediately after. My doctor told me this. It's very important go straight away after sex. If not, you're looking at a UTI if you're prone to them. I always go right after now, and since I started doing that a few years ago, I haven't gotten one. Hope this helps and wasn't too personal.

Sierra Echo
05-27-2010, 15:09
Wear white panties! the dye in color panties is bad for the coochie and parts connected. I use to get a TON of UTIs. I went through all the tests and they could never figure out why. When I get rid of my exhubby they went away. I blame the stress!

ShoelessWanderer
05-27-2010, 15:15

You say that cause you're a guy....I ALWAYS wear cotton undies on the trail...and bring a new clean pair for each day.

Azo works really well as preventative. Have used it many times. The moment you start feeling one coming on start poppin'em.