PDA

View Full Version : Getting Fuel to Approach Trail

Matty427
05-09-2010, 17:41
I need to get some advice for how to get jetboil fuel to the approach trail for Springer Mountain.

I'll be taking AMTRAK down to Georgia on June 4th and arriving at 7AM. I'm hoping to get shuttled right to the trail and get started. The problem is the gear stores don't open until 10. Any ideas of how to avoid waiting the three hours for a gear store to open to get fuel for the first leg of my trip?

I thought I read somewhere that AFSP accepts mail drops, but can't find anything about that now.

max patch
05-09-2010, 18:02
While some shuttlers routinely carry alcohol and white gas, cannisters are a different story. I'd ask my shuttler if they would either accept a mail drop to them or if they would buy it for me (payment in advance, of course) and bring it to the pick up.

The Old Chief
05-09-2010, 18:06
Just put the fuel cannister in your bag. No one at Amtrak in Raleigh is going to check your pack.

Matty427
05-09-2010, 18:14
While some shuttlers routinely carry alcohol and white gas, cannisters are a different story. I'd ask my shuttler if they would either accept a mail drop to them or if they would buy it for me (payment in advance, of course) and bring it to the pick up.

I'm hoping to get a shuttle with the Hiker Hostel - I emailed them asking about just that and haven't heard back, so I'll give them a call on Monday.

Just put the fuel cannister in your bag. No one at Amtrak in Raleigh is going to check your pack.

This is what I'm planning on doing if nothing else works out, but just my luck, mine would be the bag they'd check.

max patch
05-09-2010, 18:16
Thats (almost certainly) true; no one from Amtrak has ever checked the contents of my carry-on backpack. However, you need to know that it is specifically prohibited to carry such fuel in your checked or carry-on luggage.

Blissful
05-09-2010, 18:23
check with hiker hostel and see if they will carry or mail it to them

The Old Chief
05-09-2010, 18:51
If you're using the Hiker Hostel shuttle they go by Mountain Crossings everyday delivering hikers to Springer. I'm sure they will stop there long enough for you to purchase a cannister. It will be open way before you go by there.

The Old Chief
05-09-2010, 18:55
Whoops, my mistake. They did it for us in February. Not quite as busy then. I'm sure they will get a cannister for you if they have advance notice. Heck, they probably have one in their hiker box that will last until you get to Mountain Crossings.

The Old Chief
05-09-2010, 18:58
My memory is finally kicking in. When you leave the train station you'll go by the Walmart on the highway going toward Dahlonega. They have cannisters that will fit the JetBoil.

Dogwood
05-09-2010, 22:07
Despite having traveled on trains numerous times in the last 5 yrs to my hiking destinations, including the Amtrak from Raleigh to Dahlonega, with my pack and stowed isobutane canisters I have never had my pack unloaded/inspected by Amtrak personnel or at a train station by security or local law enforcement stationed there. Trains(Amtrak) do not have as restrictive security procedures or limitations on what can be carried on board as airlines.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints/Hiker Hostel has an isobutane canister lying around that they would probably give you, especially in early June when most of the thru-hikers have already started and left all sorts of stuff behind with them. If not you could mail them a canister or have them buy one for you to hold until you meet up with them in June. That's another possible solution.

And, if the JetBoil fuel canisters work with your stove you don't need a JetBoil brand fuel canister to fuel your stove. MSR, Coleman, Snow Peak, etc. isobutane canisters will thread onto your stove just fine!