PDA

View Full Version : Post Office Closing

fw2008
05-09-2010, 20:27
New York / New Jersey area.

Arden, NY, PO 10910 is PERMANENTLY CLOSED. All mail is being forwarded to Southfields, NY, PO 10975.

Notice of this is posted on trail both sides of SR 17, Arden Valley Road.

emerald
05-09-2010, 21:35
Has ATC or Sly been notified?

wcgornto
05-09-2010, 21:41
I believe this post office closed last year. There were signs posted re: closure when I passed through this area headed SOBO.

fw2008
05-09-2010, 22:15
ATC posted the notices on the trail, but apparently, the closing was too late for the 2010 edition of the Data Book.

I believe Arden is actually part of Southfields anyway.
It reminds me of the town I live in. Teaneck, NJ.
We have a section referred to as West Englewood. There is even a PO branch office (same zip). The PO has been talking about closing that branch.

With fewer thru-hikers using the PO for re-supply, I guess there won't be any issues with the Arden office closing. Southfields is more than 2x the distance from the trail that Arden was, but there's also a grocery in Southfields, and nothing in Arden.

BTW; someone on the trail today asked me whether the Tuxedo Inn was still open. I didn't know, but he said that no one answered the phone when he called.

FW

emerald
05-09-2010, 22:43
The Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion provides details on towns and services along the Trail. Updates to the 2010 edition are outlined here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805509/k.6535/ThruHikers_Companion.htm). Please send suggested updates and corrections to [email protected] ([email protected]).

Another New York Post Office closed recently. Details below were cut-and-pasted from the page linked above.

(Page 167) - Bellvale P.O. closing (update) - The Bellvale, NY post office will close at the end of April. Suggested alternate P.O. is Greenwood Lake, NY (ZIP 10925), located 2 miles east on NY Rt. 17A. (Posted 04/14/10)