PDA

View Full Version : Hogpen Gap to Winding Stair Gap

Daydream Believer
05-09-2010, 21:15
I'm hoping to hike this section later this month. I wanted to gain any insight anyone might have and am trying to plan this out as best I can. I am planning to solo at this point. I think I can do this section in about 7 days reasonably. I'm not an unfit person but I live at sea level and I'm not fit in the sense of climbing mountains. :o I have section hiked from Springer to Hogpen last Fall/Winter so I know more or less what to expect in terrain, etc...Do you all think 7 days is a good plan?

I am hoping to get a shuttle to drop me off at Hogpen and NOBO to Winding Stair Gap. Is leaving a vehicle there for 7 days a bad idea? Nothing fancy..just a pickup truck...but nonetheless, I wondered if it made more sense to arrange a pickup from there to say Franklin than to leave a vehicle that long. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure I can carry enough food for that long and not overload my pack...but I won't be carrying a lot of extra stuff for certain. I've got a Tarptent Moment coming soon (I hope) and am fairly savvy on staying light. I also wondered how hard water is to find this time of the year? I know it was a wet winter but here where I live we've gotten weirdly very dry.

Can anyone recommend any good campsites along the way...or places to avoid? I'm probably going to try to stay at shelters (tenting nearby) since I will be alone but plan b is always an option if I don't feel like stopping when I make my day's goal.

Thanks for all input. :)

Ron Haven
05-09-2010, 23:33
I could help you and offer you a safe place to park your car in Franklin too.

Lugnut
05-09-2010, 23:45
Do whatever Ron suggests. He will not steer you wrong! :)

Daydream Believer
05-10-2010, 09:16
Ron,

Thanks for the offer. I checked out your site and will give you a call. :-)

lehua768...I'm not sure I understand your post. You just quoted something I said. Can you clarify?

Ron Haven
05-10-2010, 21:48
Ron,

Thanks for the offer. I checked out your site and will give you a call. :-)

You are welcome 828-524-4403

Skidsteer
05-10-2010, 22:06
lehua768...I'm not sure I understand your post. You just quoted something I said. Can you clarify?

lehua768 is a spammer(probably from China or India) selling replica merchandise. Note the links in the signature.

They sometimes copy and paste from other posts to make it sound like they are a legitimate member of the forum.

Daydream Believer
05-11-2010, 07:09
Ah...thanks that makes sense now. I was not sure what was going on.

Ron, thanks and I will call sometime this week. :-)

papa john
05-11-2010, 08:02
Be advised that the highway to Hogpen Gap is closed indefinitely. You could get dropped off at the barricades and walk the rest of the way.

generoll
05-11-2010, 08:19
short walk.

cowpoke
05-11-2010, 08:55
I just returned from a week of sectioning from Deep Gap up to Burningtown Gap...spent a couple of nights at BudgetInn and Sapphire Inn...used Ron's shuttle services....great guy and great team....they will take care of you! Only campsite that comes to mind is the one on the summit of Standing Indian Mountain..exposed but what a view...have to walk through the campsites along the trail...no real path...but just keep going up...about 25/30 yards. Plenty of campsites and water over to Winding Stair Gap. Cheers.

sizemj
05-11-2010, 09:44
I have used Ron as a shuttle in the past and he has lots of knowledge and will not steer you wrong.

daddytwosticks
05-11-2010, 15:38
Cowpoke...going to do a section hike from Wayah Gap to the NOC over Memorial Day weekend. How was the water sources from Wayah Gap northwards? I expect them to be flowing well considering the wet winter. Any info would be helpful. :)

cowpoke
05-11-2010, 20:29
Cowpoke...going to do a section hike from Wayah Gap to the NOC over Memorial Day weekend. How was the water sources from Wayah Gap northwards? I expect them to be flowing well considering the wet winter. Any info would be helpful. :)

Water was not a problem...in fact there was too much of it...we got caught in the storms that ravaged Tennessee..never thought it would stop raining and blowing. All springs and streams were flowing...many were not indicated in our guide...water working it's way down the mountain. What struck me was how much the "personality" of the trail changed once you crossed US 64 and headed north out of Winding Stair Gap. I thought the trail was much more rugged north of Winding Stair Gap...looking forward to getting back on the trail at Burningtown Gap and heading up to Stecoah Gap. Have a great hike. cheers.

Daydream Believer
05-11-2010, 20:39
Thanks for all that posted and added info! I really appreciate it! :-)

daddytwosticks
05-12-2010, 07:34
Ditto on the thanks...:)