PDA

View Full Version : fuel cansiter in Harriman N.Y

mountainman
05-09-2010, 21:16
I'm going to be taking Amtrac thur New York to Harriman Park. I'm conserned about carring jetboil fuel. What's the chance of getting fuel there .I'll be hiking south?.

sasquatch2014
05-10-2010, 10:19
you would have to go north of the Train stop to get into the towns of Monroe or Woodbury and see if they have anything. There is really nothing near the strain stop it is kind of out in the middle of nowhere. I do not know but will be interested to find out. I know there are some WB members that live over that way who will know better.

Old Grouse
05-10-2010, 10:37
You do know, don't you, that Harriman is not an Amtrak stop.

Strategic
05-10-2010, 11:03
You won't have any problems with a Jetboil fuel canister on an Amtrak train. It's not like this is a pressurized aircraft and Amtrak simply does not have security that's likely to give you a problem, since you have a legitimate reason for carrying it and it's a pretty small amount anyway. So forget about trying to get one when you get to NY, just pack it up and take it with you.

For getting to Harriman SP in NY, I'm assuming you're taking Amtrak to NYC (i.e., Penn Station) and taking a local train or bus from there. What's your put in point? I'm pretty up to speed on the NY trains (and buses) to the trail, so I'll be glad to give advice on getting where you want to go from NYC. Just reply here or PM me if you want a hand.

Mariano
05-10-2010, 11:14
Amtrak doesn't stop at harriman, ny. there's nothing around the station. not a vending machine.

Tinker
05-10-2010, 11:35
Amtrak doesn't stop at harriman, ny. there's nothing around the station. not a vending machine.

Hola, Mariano! Que tal? :)

fw2008
05-10-2010, 12:35
To get to Harriman (at the west end of the park), you will need to take 2 more trains from NYC after you get off Amtrak at Penn Station.

Take the NJT corridor train to Secaucus junction, then take the Port Jervis train to the Harriman station.
Depending on the day and time you arrive at Penn Station on Amtrak, you may have some time to kill between trains.

For schedules, go here:
http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Fill in your origin (New York Penn Station), and your destination (Harriman), and the date and time.

From that station, it's 2mi to the aT, and Arden Valley road leading into the park.
I just learned of a trail that parallels route 17 between the station and the AT, so you won't have to do a road hike. The down-side to that trail, is that you have to descend about 600 ft at Agony Grind. Still, it's not so strenuous as going up :)

As for taking fuel on Amtrak, I agree that it is not likely to be a problem, but all luggage / backpacks are subject to search.

FW

Blissful
05-10-2010, 12:38
You won't have any problems with a Jetboil fuel canister on an Amtrak train. It's not like this is a pressurized aircraft and Amtrak simply does not have security that's likely to give you a problem, since you have a legitimate reason for carrying it and it's a pretty small amount anyway. So forget about trying to get one when you get to NY, just pack it up and take it with you.

But it is still illegal.
Mail a can surface mail to a nearby PO and pick it up when you arrive. Or if you can't get to a PO for a few days, eat a cold dinner or two until you do. I have a problem with doing things illegal b/c they don't have security. Tell that to the terrorists then...

fw2008
05-10-2010, 14:13
I can't seem to make up my mind about my position on carrying combustibles on public transport.
I wouldn't do it, but often I will advise others not to, but other times I agree with those who don't think it a problem.

In light of this, I have to recall what happened in NYC Times Square on May 2. It is likely that security at train/bus stations has been stepped up, and more luggage is being inspected.

It is illegal to carry anything combustible aboard Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, or MTA (which includes Metro North, LIRR, subways, etc).

That being the case, I would not personally want to be detained for possession of illegal materials, and would therefore purchase the fuel after I finished my trip aboard public transport.

I agree with Blissful; you should be able to get by on cold meals until you can get the fuel.

There is nothing close to the Harriman train station. Even the Arden PO has been shut down. You would need to use the PO in Southfields, 2mi off trail.
You could use the PO in Bear Mountain, or Fort Montgomery.

So, while I don't think it is all that likely your backpack would be inspected, and the fuel found, it is probably not a good idea to carry it.

If you're doing a section hike, you should have one or another of the trail guide/data books that list the PO, grocery, etc along the trail, so you can plan where to send your fuel ahead.

FW

sasquatch2014
05-10-2010, 16:42
But it is still illegal.
Mail a can surface mail to a nearby PO and pick it up when you arrive. Or if you can't get to a PO for a few days, eat a cold dinner or two until you do. I have a problem with doing things illegal b/c they don't have security. Tell that to the terrorists then...

And this is how they win. I am not going to change the way i do things just because some stupid SOB wants to bomb Time Square. I can't stand the Disneyfication of the area but wouldn't bomb it but at the same time if I would have done something before that date then I'll do it after I won't let that smuck change my life.

fw2008
05-10-2010, 17:13
And this is how they win. I am not going to change the way i do things just because some stupid SOB wants to bomb Time Square. I can't stand the Disneyfication of the area but wouldn't bomb it but at the same time if I would have done something before that date then I'll do it after I won't let that smuck change my life.
I hear you!
But you know how our law enforcement reacts. They get tough for a few weeks after the incident, then relax a bit.

Remember the color coded alert system? Was that a joke, or what?
I used that system to create one of my own. When I was in a bad mood, I would tell people around me that I was in "orange", or "red", to suit my current level of anxiety/stress. Everyone kind of got a kick out of it.

I recall reading here, or in another hiker forum that the airlines wouldn't allow backpacking stoves that had ever been used with fuel to be put into luggage (either checked or carry-on). I don't know what their policies about that are currently.

I guess if Amtrak, MTA, NJT, etc aren't going to allow small amounts of stove fuel, then they should also prohibit cigarette lighters, nail polish and remover, etc, etc.

FW

fw2008
05-10-2010, 17:16
FWIW: Here is Amtrak's list of prohibited items:

Prohibited Items

The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:

Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon. (See note below regarding firearms in checked baggage)
Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.
Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords.
Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.
Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).
Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.
Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment.(Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
Animals (except service animals).
Oversized and/or overweight items.

This is not an exhaustive list. Any item similar to those listed, even if not specifically mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried onboard or checked as baggage.

mountainman
05-10-2010, 19:15
Thanks, like having a travel agent.

fw2008
05-10-2010, 20:33
Thanks, like having a travel agent.
Mountainman; You never told us about your plans, except where you are starting, and even that, I'm not sure whether you are talking about Bear Mountain park (which is part of Harriman park), or that we were correct in assuming that you were planning to start near the town of Harriman, NY, which is the west edge of the park.

If you are planning to actually hike through the park, then you would be starting at Bear Mountain Inn and heading SOBO. If that is the case, you don't want to go to the Harriman train station, but to Manitou, NY which is on the Metro North Hudson line, and trains only stop there on weekends/holidays.

So, how long is your planned hike? Are you going solo, or are you with someone?

I wish you all the best and enjoy your trek!

FW

Appalachian Tater
05-11-2010, 18:43
Why not just take the bus? Much simpler.