PDA

View Full Version : Man Dies at IceWater Spring Shelter

sidebackside
05-09-2010, 22:22
How sad it must have been for his friends.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/may/09/michigan-man-dies-backpacking-trip-smokies/?partner=RSS&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

freefall
05-10-2010, 02:35
Wow! Thanks for sharing.

26 Years old- just shows none of us know when is our time. Rest in peace Ross.

Mrs Baggins
05-10-2010, 06:01
So young. Younger than my oldest child. How very sad.

Manwich
05-10-2010, 06:59
Lucky Bum.

Died doing what he liked, and in his sleep.

Don H
05-10-2010, 07:39
Very sad. Please post if they follow up the story.

cravj1988
05-10-2010, 08:56
According to the shelter register at Icewater Spring shelter this was an accidental overdose. 12 people were in the shelter Friday night. Evidently the deceased had too much to drink. Ross S. Enderle was a L.Cpl in the United States Marine Corps.

My Mom, Dad, Bacon Bits and I were hiking up from Newfound Gap Saturday morning out to Charlie’s Bunion. We were taking a break, looking west toward Mt. LeConte about half way up to the shelter when we met a thru-hiker who had gone into Gatlinburg Friday night.

He told us that some of his buddies, who did not hitch into Gatlinburg, went on to Icewater Spring Shelter Friday night. Saturday morning they sent him a text msg that a section hiker had passed away in the night.

He was in a hurry to catch up with his friends to find out the story. About 5 min later, the Rescue/Recovery team was coming down the mountain sobo on the AT, attached to a gurney. We immediately recognized the situation and stepped off the trail.

It was a very professional team of 8 strapped to the gurney moving very quickly down to Newfound gap. “Please… off the trail 2 feet, Medical Evac, off the trail 2 feet…” the lead man repeatedly yelled. Then we saw the body bag. It was an extremely sad and somber moment.

The recovery team was followed by the 3 companions of the deceased. All had military backpacks. One of the 3 had two packs, one on his back and the other on his chest.

I offer my sincere condolences to family and friends of L. Cpl. R.S. Enderle. Thank you so much for the sacrifices you made to defend our Country and way of life. Sorry that we could not be there for you. Rest in Peace.

Graywolf
05-10-2010, 09:21
This is very sad indeed, but do we really need two threads of the same incident going at the same time??

Just saying..

Graywolf

sidebackside
05-10-2010, 10:12
This is very sad indeed, but do we really need two threads of the same incident going at the same time??

Just saying..

Graywolf

No we don't Graywolf. I posted in the other thread, which was created before this one, that I obviously didn't search hard enough to see if anything else had been mentioned about this.

sidebackside
05-10-2010, 10:17
According to the shelter register at Icewater Spring shelter this was an accidental overdose. 12 people were in the shelter Friday night. Evidently the deceased had too much to drink.

Could you be more specific about what the registry said? I'm not saying your wrong by any means, but, obviously something this sensitive needs to be accurate before other assumptions are made. Again, I'm not saying your lieing or anything like that at all, but when you say, "according", what was it you read?

Thanks Cravj

Graywolf
05-10-2010, 10:19
No we don't Graywolf. I posted in the other thread, which was created before this one, that I obviously didn't search hard enough to see if anything else had been mentioned about this.

Thanks Sideback, still an unfortuanate incident..How do we know it was an accidental over-dose?? The reports of cause of death has yet to come in...

Graywolf

sidebackside
05-10-2010, 10:28
Thanks Sideback, still an unfortuanate incident..How do we know it was an accidental over-dose?? The reports of cause of death has yet to come in...

Graywolf

That's what I was thinking. But apparently something was mentioned in the shelter, so says Cravj. I'd like to know what it said because, mentioning something about an accidental over-does, if found not to be true (though it may be) could cause alot of up-roar.

TallShark
05-10-2010, 22:58
I was hiking this particular section on saturday as well and witnessed the team of individuals, as i was about .5 miles away from the shelter, very proffesionally remove this poor boy in a bodybag from the mountain. when we finally reached the shelter the aforementioned log-book entry was exactly that... a sad case of alcohol poisoning.. you should have seen his friends faces, a very somber event indeed.

bulldog49
05-11-2010, 08:56
Lucky Bum.

Really dumb comment.

No one who dies at age 26 is lucky. I'd rather die at 90 doing something I didn't like than at 26.

JAK
05-11-2010, 09:05
Side note: It is possible for a person to asphixiate if they vomit in their sleep, so that is something to keep an eye on if you or someone else is likely to be sick while they are sleeping. You can sleep on your side with your pack at your back or something like that. Not presuming anything. Just something for people to keep in mind.

gruxhud
05-11-2010, 11:39
The victim was a dear friend of mine, so before you speculate on the cause of death, why don't you get the facts, first. Clearly, they're not just going to automatically rule the cause of death as alcohol poisoning on the initial discovery of the body. Instead of speculating, we should be using this as a wake up call, life can be so short and come to a halt at any given moment. Ross served for roughly 2 years in Iraq, he witnessed things over there that we couldnt even fathom seeeing. He was the most positive, adventurous, high spirited person I knew. He will be missed by so many. All of us here are going through a very dark time without his presence. Such an unexpected tragedy. I hope he is looking down and acknowledgeing just how deeply he impacted so many lives...

SGT Rock
05-11-2010, 11:46
My sympathies to the family.

Graywolf
05-11-2010, 12:36
The victim was a dear friend of mine, so before you speculate on the cause of death, why don't you get the facts, first. Clearly, they're not just going to automatically rule the cause of death as alcohol poisoning on the initial discovery of the body. Instead of speculating, we should be using this as a wake up call, life can be so short and come to a halt at any given moment. Ross served for roughly 2 years in Iraq, he witnessed things over there that we couldnt even fathom seeeing. He was the most positive, adventurous, high spirited person I knew. He will be missed by so many. All of us here are going through a very dark time without his presence. Such an unexpected tragedy. I hope he is looking down and acknowledgeing just how deeply he impacted so many lives...

Thank You Grux, my nephew just came home from the Marines after a 2 year tour of Iraq..It saddens me when incidents like this happens..My best goes out to the family and friends such as you.. Today I am playing at a war memorial here in Dallas, and I will keep him in my thougts as I play..Thanks again for the post..

Graywolf

safn1949
05-11-2010, 13:05
C Co 1/35 salutes you. A sad day indeed.

gruxhud
05-11-2010, 13:11
Thank you for your kind words. It's amazing the extra step strangers will take just to add a short note of condolence or some good wishes. Ross was just that type of person. Thank you for your sincerity.

Lyle
05-11-2010, 13:44
I agree that assigning a cause of death at this stage is probably pure speculation. While there may be reason for this to be a highly suspect cause, it could not be definitive without an autopsy. Let's all just wait and see what the official investigations find.

In the meantime, no matter if alcohol played a role or not, it is a tragic situation and I offer my sincere condolences to this young man's family and friends. What a shocking and sad thing to have happen on what was to be an enjoyable adventure. Best wishes to his survivors.

brotheral
05-11-2010, 14:03
My heart goes out to the family and friends of Ross Sabin Enderle. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Nean
05-11-2010, 14:13
if not for the grace of God....

Rest in Peace brother

Bearpaw
05-11-2010, 14:22
Semper Fi Brother. My prayers are with his family.

gruxhud
05-11-2010, 14:58
Very well said. Thank you.

Mountain Goat
05-11-2010, 16:19
My sympathies to the family of a True American Hero.

double d
05-11-2010, 18:24
I've very sorry to hear of his death, my thoughts are with his family and friends.

Blissful
05-11-2010, 20:08
Very sorry. I am thankful for his service to keep us safe.

cowpoke
05-11-2010, 20:38
I am thankful for his service and the sacrifice he made for his country in Iraq. Ross made a positive difference in this world and he will be missed. I did not know him but honor his service.

warraghiyagey
05-11-2010, 20:41
I honor and give condolences to his friends and loved ones. . . regardless of service. . . .

Tin Man
05-12-2010, 04:09
I honor and give condolences to his friends and loved ones. . . regardless of service. . . .

amen.............

gruxhud
05-12-2010, 08:35
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2010/05/12/obituaries/1580490.txt

Gray Blazer
05-12-2010, 08:58
Many people wonder if their lives made a difference ... Marines don't have to worry about that. (not an exact quote-attributed to Ronald Reagan)

Condolences to the family.

double d
05-12-2010, 09:54
Lucky Bum.

I disagree, he is only a young man of 26.

Gray Blazer
05-12-2010, 10:09
Such a stupid thing to say about a fine, young man of only 26.

I understand what Manwich was trying to say. He wasn't trying to diss the guy.

safn1949
05-12-2010, 10:41

I agree,my mom had a friend who was a former postmaster who died at the dinner table sitting next to mom at a postmasters convention.Having a ball....so it is tragic that a young man died,but he was with good friends and in a good place.

WinterWarlock
05-12-2010, 10:44
Ooh-rah! Grux...sorry for the loss of your comrade and friend. Regardless of how it happened, it is indeed a tragedy.

Panzer1
05-12-2010, 11:19
My condolences to his family.

Panzer

Trail Bug
05-12-2010, 11:34
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. ~ Ronald Reagan, 1985 ~

HikerMom58
05-12-2010, 11:52
My heart goes out to all his friends and family. I can't imagine feeling that kind of loss!!

bulldog49
05-12-2010, 12:04

That's an appropriate thing to say about the death of someone who has lived a full life, not about a 26 year old.

double d
05-12-2010, 12:17
That's an appropriate thing to say about the death of someone who has lived a full life, not about a 26 year old.

It's only my opinion, but I'll bet he had alot of life he wanted to live beyond age 26 and if he was alive, I wonder what he would say. Maybe he wanted to go to college, re-enlist in the Marine corp, get married, have kids, have a meaningful career, hike all 2,174 miles of the AT, etc..etc...I guess we could say this about anyone, but only his buddy who has spoken for him on this webpage and his family can truly speak for him now.

Reid
05-12-2010, 12:24
I'm reminded of a Patton quote, It is wrong to mourn men who have died but to thank God that such men lived. I know this is different but ya know. . .

K2
05-12-2010, 20:40
From the obit: "Memorials appreciated to the U.S.M.C. Toys for Tots, The Michigan Humane Society or the Great Smoky Mountains National Park." Rest in peace. K2

Rain Man
05-12-2010, 22:46
R.I.P.

And sympathies to his family and friends.

Rain Man

gunner76
05-13-2010, 21:55
Another United States Marine now guarding heavens gates

Simper Fi

Our visit to this world is far to short.

My condolances to his famiy

Feral Bill
05-14-2010, 14:50
I would like to know the actual circumstances, for any lessons there are to be learned.

sidebackside
05-14-2010, 15:31
I would like to know the actual circumstances, for any lessons there are to be learned.

Agreed Feral.

sidebackside
05-19-2010, 10:54
Anybody heard anything lately?

TallShark
05-19-2010, 12:59
... I'm still going to stand by what I read in the shelter log... as unfortunate as it is, and my prayers go out to the family and friends, i believe it was the aforementioned.

Praha4
05-19-2010, 15:31
I stayed at Icewater Springs shelter the night of Wed, May 5th. Next day stopped at Tricorner Knob shelter for lunch, and a large group of young guys arrived in party mode, they each were carrying a fifth of booze with them and drinking at 2 pm. I moved on to Cosby Knob shelter that afternoon. I don't know if it was one of those young guys, they were headed up to Icewater Springs on Thursday. Sounds like the death occurred on Friday nite May 7th. On the subject of alchohol on the AT, I saw a lot of it in shelters, some to excess. Comes with the territory I know, but a dam shame this poor kid ended up O.D.ing. Peace to the family.

MommaJ
05-20-2010, 20:10
Thank you Ross for serving our Country. So tragic. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

K2
05-21-2010, 15:03
At this point, it's just a rumor how he died, and if that's the way it played out, it's tragic and sad. Please just leave it as a young man died before his time. Only his family deserves to know what happened.

Just my opinion, I hope I offended no one. K2

Spokes
05-21-2010, 15:19
My thoughts are with the family........... RIP.

JAK
05-21-2010, 20:35
Please, Don’t Look At My Shoes
By Clyde Wray

Its not that they’re old
they are a bit worn and weary
don’t hold much of a shine
don’t high step out much anymore
stitches are loose and the tongue
protrudes through over laces
that are frayed at the edges
there’s a huge hole in the sole
the cardboard replacement isn’t strong
aren’t much to look at
the once expensive name tag
is long gone
please, don’t look at my shoes
you might come to believe
I’m suffering
that just wouldn’t be true
I’ve got shoes
a good name
hope for the future
if you’re looking at my shoes
you don’t see me
I still dance in spring
and hear the wonderful song
of a Lark singing

- Clyde A. Wray

Hoop
05-21-2010, 22:52
You're all right, JAK.

awinita
06-02-2010, 21:48

My heart is sad and I cry for the family and friends. As a Vet (US NAVY 1975-1981) I salute my brother and and send him many thanks, may I walk some day with him at my side.

Bear Cables
06-08-2010, 23:40
Thank you for your kind words. It's amazing the extra step strangers will take just to add a short note of condolence or some good wishes. Ross was just that type of person. Thank you for your sincerity.

So sorry for the loss of your friend. We were at Ice Water Spings just this past week and sheltered with 4 marines. They were great ,as your said your friend was. Proud of all who choose to serve living or deceased. :(

hikingshoes
06-09-2010, 01:11
Im not a Marine,but after 22yrs(retired)Army Res.I do know this.WE all are Brother's/Sister's!!!!To Ross 26 is young,but id like to THANK him for his service and prayers send to his family and friends!!!!Peace my Brother!HS