PDA

View Full Version : Trail Runners?

fw2008
05-10-2010, 00:14
Hi;
In a previous thread I started, I was asking about having the soles on my old Asolo Gore-tex boots.
I was at the time thinking I would be taking some longer hikes with a heavier pack.

But today, after hiking 10 miles in rough/rocky ledgy terrain on the AT in NY, I think I would be better off with a lighter shoe, such as a trail runner for my shorter and lighter hikes. I could really feel the weight of my Asolos today.

So, I am thinking of the Mizuno wave Ascend 4, or the Wave Cabrakan.
Reason I am leaning towards Mizuno is that I run in their Wave Alchemy shoe, and find that it fits my foot perfectly. Never had a blister running a marathon!
My Mizuno running shoes are size 12D.

Any suggestions on the Mizuno, or maybe another shoe?

Thanks

FW

Roughin' It
05-10-2010, 00:43
I am hiking with a man right now on the AT who just uses a pair of Mizuno running shoes. They work great for him, and one pair has lasted almost 800 miles so far.

I use a pair of Montrail Sabino Trails, and likewise, they work great for me because my feet are wider, and that shoe has plenty of room throughout and in the footbox.

ChrisFol
05-10-2010, 01:53
I am another advocate of trail runners for most backpacking uses. As for which shoe is better-- the answer to that is simple; whichever one fits your foot the best.

FWIW I wear Inov-8 Roclite 315 and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another pair.

Nean
05-10-2010, 03:24
I get whatever runner is on sale, with consideration given to sole configuration- and it shouldn't matter size or brand.;)

ChrisFol
05-10-2010, 03:29
I get whatever runner is on sale, with consideration given to sole configuration- and it shouldn't matter size or brand.;)

I would say that size does matter [pun not intended]. I wear size 13, I am certainly no going to purchase a 10 just becuse they are on sale and have a "sole configuration" :-?

Nean
05-10-2010, 05:43
I would say that size does matter [pun not intended]. I wear size 13, I am certainly no going to purchase a 10 just becuse they are on sale and have a "sole configuration" :-?

Are you smoking something funny because that is funny, lol :D

I could give a flip what size you wear as it dsoes not matter . If you need me to tell you to buy the size you wear -well then.....:rolleyes:

Read slowly- I recommend buying a light shoe on sale (that fits you) with a good sole regardless of brand.:eek:

mudhead
05-10-2010, 05:56
Test drive your running shoes. Foot placement. Slow down. No jumping down on pointed rocks.

12D you have huge options. If you find something you really like, buy a stack of them on sale pricing. They will be changed/discontinued 2 seconds before you start to look for a replacement pair.

10-K
05-10-2010, 08:19
Test drive your running shoes. Foot placement. Slow down. No jumping down on pointed rocks.

12D you have huge options. If you find something you really like, buy a stack of them on sale pricing. They will be changing seconds before you start to look for a replacement pair.

I wear Brooks Adreneline running shoes and started wearing them when the GTS 3 was new. They're up to the GTS 10 now and I eagerlly await their annual update because the discontinued version gets heavily discounted. I always by several pair.

FWIW, with running shoes it's good to have 2 pair anyway so you can wear them in a daily rotation instead of running n the same pair every day.

JAK
05-10-2010, 09:31
When I go on day hikes I wear my Adidas Adizero running flats. They are super light with minimal support but some cushion. They do not have much tread, but they still grip quite well even on ice and snow and wet rocks. They drain really well, so are excellent for rain and getting your feet wet. I have worn them trail running, and they are good except for not enough protection if you run were you might stub your feet against rocks or stumps. I have worn them hiking with some weight, but again, a little more protection would be better.

Depends on how light you are, including excess body weight. I am still 20 pounds overweight at 6' 185#. You need less support and less protection as you carry less weight on your body and in your pack. Even though you are moving faster, you tend to stub your feet less and step around stuff better as you lose more and more weight off your body and your gear. I really like how the adidizeros drain, but just a couple of more ounces of toe protection and for tread grip and wear would be better. They do carry something similar with trails in mind, but they don't drain as well.

Pedaling Fool
05-10-2010, 10:05
Too much emphasis is placed on equipment, your body is the most important, but we all seem to want some magical piece of gear that makes us feel as though we are walking on air. I made this mistake buy wearing custom-fitted boots, they didn't help for Sht.

FW, I saw in another thread that you're an X-marathon runner and you believe that ruined your knees. I don't know your history, but that may be the case, not that running is bad for us, I don't believe that, but too much of anything is bad. I developed a bad knee, which I believe is from too much cycling, since then I've taken up all sorts of different exercises, most importantly weightlifting and now my knee (over 10 years later) is stronger than ever and I'm an avid runner now.

Buy what you want, but don't expect that stuff (including trekking poles) to fix your problem, they, at best, will only alleviate pain, but will NOT address the core problem -- weakness in a particular body region. Those regions need strengthening, period.