PDA

View Full Version : First night's camping SOBO

flybynight
05-10-2010, 10:48
Hello! I am wondering about camping on the first night after coming down from Katahdin. If all the campsites/ shelters are full, including KS, can I just hike out a bit more and find a place? I am so psyched about this hike that I overlooked this logistic! Thanks in advance. Starting first part of June and CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

TJ aka Teej
05-10-2010, 11:04
Try getting a lean-to at Katahdin Stream the night before and after your climb. Best way to get an early start up, and best way to crash and enjoy the accomplishment after coming down.
No, you can't just hike out a bit, you need to leave the Park for a legal spot. No stealth camping allowed. Yes, you can hike out to Abol Bridge, but it is a haul after the 10.4 up and down of Katahdin.
There are still plenty of spots left at KSC:
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/bsp_public/scripts/BSP_Public.exe/overview

Tinker
05-10-2010, 11:37
I would assume (dangerous) that the Birches will be open for your use. It's thruhiker/long distance hiker specific. I have no idea of when they open it or whether it's used for other purposes before the flood of Nobos comes through (or thru :)).

Tinker
05-10-2010, 11:39
Let me add that you should probably call Baxter SP to make sure my assumption is correct :).

TJ aka Teej
05-10-2010, 13:44
I would assume (dangerous) that the Birches will be open for your use. It's thruhiker/long distance hiker specific. I have no idea of when they open it or whether it's used for other purposes before the flood of Nobos comes through (or thru :)).

Only northbound ATers can stay at the Birches, and then only if they've hiked in from at least Monson.

flybynight
05-11-2010, 11:49
Thank you to all of you for the info. I did call Baxter and the nice lady helped me out. :)

SawnieRobertson
05-12-2010, 10:26
This sounds so exciting. Have a wonderful hike.--Kinnickinic

mudhead
05-12-2010, 11:39
Thank you to all of you for the info. I did call Baxter and the nice lady helped me out. :)

They are very nice there.:)

Must be from New Hampshire.:eek:

Migrating Bird
05-12-2010, 18:55
I hope they received my reservation for KS today for the 28th and 29 of this month. I also called and talked to a wonderful lady who answered all my questions. Last year, we met a neat lady at the entrance booth (all the staff were at a mandatory meeting). She came out to our truck - beautiful day and lots of bugs and she saw the look on our faces. She said put up the window, until you start driving, they will leave it down until you stop - use deet, the rest of the conversation was conducted through glass.

We had great time last year - bugs are part of the plan and can't wait until the end of the month.

TrojanMedic58
07-01-2010, 16:51
You have to be a NOBO in order to stay at the Birches. It is specific to hikers that have just come through the 100 mile wilderness. I recently hiked SOBO in that area and KS is a great place to stay after Katahdin. You should call ASAP in order to reserve a lean-to. You need to be specific because they have both lean-to's and campsites.