PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions for 2-Day 1-Night Hike in GSMNP

kolokolo
05-10-2010, 17:31
I'm looking for suggestions for a 2-day hike in GSMNP, preferably south of Newfound Gap. There will be 4 of us hiking, two adults (with fairly extensive hiking experience) and two 13 year old boys without much experience. Any suggestions on a route are welcome.

Hikes in Rain
05-10-2010, 17:47
One I've never done, but do want to: Deep Creek Trail. Starts a little south toward Cherokee, goes downhill toward Bryson City, following (what else?) Deep Creek. Lots of good campsites (some require reservations, others don't). Easy hiking. Lots of history; Horace Kephart lived in that area.

Egads
05-10-2010, 20:57
You can hike the lakeshore trail and make a loop of it or out & back

Ox97GaMe
05-10-2010, 23:52
As you will be coming in from Ohio and probably taking most of the previous day to drive down, you probably want to stay on the north side of the park. Try to avoid Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, as they will be CRAZY during that time and you could spend several hours in bumper to bumper traffic.

That said... there are a couple of loops out of the Cosby Campground or Big Creek Ranger Station that might work for what you are looking for. you can get hotel accomodations in Newport TN, or book early and stay at Cosby Campground that night. Also consider loops out of the Cades Cove area. you can stay in Alcoa or Maryville TN or book early for the Cades Cove campground.

you will need to determine about how many miles you want to attempt to hike each day. Most of the trails in the park (except the AT) have some pretty good elevation change, so you may want to keep the mileage a little below what you might normally consider. also, think about making a loop that will include following a stream and perhaps take in a waterfall. It is usually hot in early July and the kids will enjoy taking a dip in the afternoon, or even camping near a stream.

Jeepocachers
05-11-2010, 08:57
I quite enjoy the Forney Creek Trail starting at the Clingman's Dome Parking lot, camping at #71, and then back up the Forney Ridge Trail.

sevensixtwo187
05-14-2010, 12:41
I was looking at Forney Creek myself except that I was considering using the camps located along it's length. How difficult is that trail? I know there is a good deal of elevation gain going back up.

sidebackside
05-14-2010, 13:41
Also consider loops out of the Cades Cove area. you can stay in Alcoa or Maryville TN or book early for the Cades Cove campground.

I agree. You could hike on the Anthony Creek Trail to the Bote Mtn. trail and stay at Spence Field Shelter on the AT. Hike the AT to Russell Field trail which will reconnect you to Anthony Creek trail bringing you back to where you started. Obviously you don't have to do that one, but several good hikes around that area. Either way, have a good time! I love those mountains up there!

Just in case: Also there are 2 backcountry campsites ( both require reservations) along this route. #9 is on Anthony Creek Trail. #10 is on Russell Field Trail. Also, staying at Russell Field Shelter may be an option.

SGT Rock
05-14-2010, 14:12
Once I hiked into the AT from Treemont up the Middle Prong and Greenbrier trails and got on the AT near Derrik Knob Shelter. Stayed at Spence Field that night, and hiked out to Fontana the next day.

Jeepocachers
05-14-2010, 23:14
I was looking at Forney Creek myself except that I was considering using the camps located along it's length. How difficult is that trail? I know there is a good deal of elevation gain going back up.

I didn't think it was too difficult, but then I'm a stop and smell all the roses kind of hiker, so I stop a lot. I thought all the campsites were nice along Forney Creek, better than #70.

liteweight
05-14-2010, 23:35
forney creek is a great hike. depending on when your going they have pushed back the opening of clingmans dome road until June 18th.

TIDE-HSV
05-16-2010, 00:07

I've only done it downhill to the camp by the old CCC camp, then up Bee Branch to Noland Divide and down the creek to the Deep Creek campground. I remember the very upper part to be fairly steep and rocky, but after the trail gets down to the old logging railroad, pretty well graded. There were umpteen creek crossings. However, that was a long time ago and some things may have changed (condition of trail, etc.)

Ox97GaMe
05-17-2010, 22:51
I like the Anthony Cove loop suggested, but in reverse. That climb to Spence seems so long of a steady uphill. Up to Russell first gives you a couple of flatter stretches to sort of relax and get your second wind. Also be aware that #10 and Russell Field are usually closed in summer due to bear activity in the area. So, that loop may not be an option.

I also like the Miry Ridge over to Greenbrier ridge loop. you can make it as long or short as you want to with the various connecting trails. The issue with that loop is that it doesnt quite connect, so you may have to shuttle from one trailhead to the other.