PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for a cause - how many?

Local
05-10-2010, 17:54
We've just received a request to put a link on the Trail Days website to someone who is hiking for a cause (neglected, abused children). Approximately how many hikers a year would be hiking for a charitable cause, or hiking to call attention to an important issue? We don't want to just feature one cause unless we help bring attention to others. Any information will be appreciated.

Jack Tarlin
05-10-2010, 17:58
There are quite a few every year, and while many of them are most sincere, as I'm sure this guy is, in some cases, little money is actually being raised and much of what IS raised is being used primarily to finance a person's hike.

Were I you, I would let this person publicize their trip on their own, but that's just me.

Roughin' It
05-10-2010, 18:01
assuming this doesn't only apply to thru-hikers, I met a guy this year on the trail who is hiking to raise money for Alzheimer's. He is doing Springer -> Shenandoah I believe, and he is still on the trail for a couple more days. His trail name is Clocker, and he has raised over $5,000. Great guy.

here is the website for his hike: http://centralgawalk.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=335317&lis=1&kntae335317=528C44049DBA496DA318F9D7705C3A49&supId=285480022

Jonnycat
05-10-2010, 23:41
I prefer to keep things like trails outside of publicized events. Frankly, there are already too many people on the trails as it is, and I see no benefit from further advertising their presence. hither and yaw.

If a person is a backpacker, he or she will naturally discover and become attracted to long trails on his or her own, and I would prefer to keep it this way.

There are a lot of good and generous causes in this world, and civilized locations in which to advertise and drum up support for them, but there is only so much nature for those of us that have no other place to go for our mental and spiritual well-being.

Nean
05-11-2010, 03:24
I prefer to keep things like trails outside of publicized events. Frankly, there are already too many people on the trails as it is, and I see no benefit from further advertising their presence. hither and yaw.

If a person is a backpacker, he or she will naturally discover and become attracted to long trails on his or her own, and I would prefer to keep it this way.

There are a lot of good and generous causes in this world, and civilized locations in which to advertise and drum up support for them, but there is only so much nature for those of us that have no other place to go for our mental and spiritual well-being.

There will never be too many people hiking.:eek: If indeed you are right, perhaps the day the trail became too crowded was the day you started.:rolleyes: HYOFH and don't worry about others and their whys.;) I've done 4 walks for the benifit of othes and it didn't effect anyones hike in a negative way.:-? On the other hand, there is always someone w/ a negative opinion.:(

JAK
05-11-2010, 09:31
I've been thinking about getting a boat built and sailing down to the carribean for, I don't know, some damn thing or another. I need to raise some money to get the boat built first though. She's going to be a beauty.

Old Hiker
05-11-2010, 09:55
If you want to donate to the cause, donate directly to the organization in the name of the hiker. Can't remember the name, but a retired Chief (AF) is hiking for the AF Enlisted Widows Home and has a link to donate directly to them. That way, you know the money is going to the organization and not anywhere else.

sbhikes
05-11-2010, 09:58
I think hiking for charity is stupid. I want to see someone clear poison oak off the trail for charity or clean up dog poop or trash or maybe spend 6 months staring at cubical walls for charity. That would be more impressive. Yeah, I'm having the time of my life for poor starving kids! Woo hoo! Why not work in a soup kitchen feeding them directly instead?

JAK
05-11-2010, 10:36
My thoughts exactly. Just hike, and do some volunteer work along the way, like working in soup kitchens or cleaning up trash, without drawing to much attention to yourself. Everything else just seems like part of the background noise that's drowning out alot of real needs and good deeds. Hiking is a good way to clear some of the cobwebs if nothing else, so you can see life more clearly.

Nean
05-11-2010, 11:27
My thoughts exactly. Just hike, and do some volunteer work along the way, like working in soup kitchens or cleaning up trash, without drawing to much attention to yourself. Everything else just seems like part of the background noise that's drowning out alot of real needs and good deeds. Hiking is a good way to clear some of the cobwebs if nothing else, so you can see life more clearly.

...and it is clear to me - youens need to spend some more time on the trail.:)

People who use a charity to pay for thier hike isn't the way it should be done, granted. But to tell someone why or what to hike for- or just hike- is none of your concern, period.:eek: And I'll put the trail work, trash packed out, etc. I've done on my hikes up against all yall holier than thous combined.;) I've know a bunch of people who raised money for a cause and there has only been one that seemed to be doing it to benifit himself.:( Thier hikes never affected my hike in a negative way- positive ways yes, but usually in no way. People who are negative and pass judgement always effect me in a negative way though.:-?

And you can't enjoy doing something for charity? Must do it your way or it has a negative effect on the good and the real? :confused: What a joke!:banana

Ladytrekker
05-11-2010, 11:43
I think hiking for charity is stupid. I want to see someone clear poison oak off the trail for charity or clean up dog poop or trash or maybe spend 6 months staring at cubical walls for charity. That would be more impressive. Yeah, I'm having the time of my life for poor starving kids! Woo hoo! Why not work in a soup kitchen feeding them directly instead?

I am inclined to agree. But for some it is a good excuse and a good reason to convince others that what you are doing makes sense. As in walking in the woods for 6 months. But unless the person is paying out of pocket expenses themselves the charity is a joke. If the donations are paying for the hike then take a hike and don't ask for my money.

Nean
05-11-2010, 11:50
I am inclined to agree. But for some it is a good excuse and a good reason to convince others that what you are doing makes sense. As in walking in the woods for 6 months. But unless the person is paying out of pocket expenses themselves the charity is a joke. If the donations are paying for the hike then take a hike and don't ask for my money.

How nice, an open minded veiw.:eek:
I've always been of the opinion that people who call others reasons or desires stupid, just aren't very smart.;)

Pedaling Fool
05-11-2010, 11:53
I've thought the same thing about charity bike rides. Most people there (IMHO) are not there for the "charity", rather they are there because they like to ride (me included).

But in all the vanity, maybe some good does come from it...I don't know. However, I do know that bicycling is not so environmentally friendly as some claim; actually it's very unfriendly to the environment.:sun

GGS2
05-11-2010, 12:02
... However, I do know that bicycling is not so environmentally friendly as some claim; actually it's very unfriendly to the environment.:sunCome again? Do you perhaps mean trail riding? Or are you referring to all the polypropylene and other assorted garment plastics sacrificed on the altar of sport? Or the water bottles flung away on the track? Or do you really think riding a bike, say in the city or on country roads, is less friendly than driving a truck or an SUV? Maybe its the road kill and mangled bike frames by the roadsides. Just trying to get this straight, you understand.

Ladytrekker
05-11-2010, 12:06
How nice, an open minded veiw.:eek:
I've always been of the opinion that people who call others reasons or desires stupid, just aren't very smart.;)

I volunteer alot of my time but I don't do it on the expense of others. I also do trail maintenance in Florida and when I hike or kayak I pick up trash, clear trails have done many river cleanups. I think there is a way to give of yourself in many ways. But not a big fan of solo charity events.

Pedaling Fool
05-11-2010, 12:12
Come again? Do you perhaps mean trail riding? Or are you referring to all the polypropylene and other assorted garment plastics sacrificed on the altar of sport? Or the water bottles flung away on the track? Or do you really think riding a bike, say in the city or on country roads, is less friendly than driving a truck or an SUV? Maybe its the road kill and mangled bike frames by the roadsides. Just trying to get this straight, you understand.
I'm saying this as a life-long cyclist that starts and end my rides from my doorstep and have cycled to work for over 20 years. Most other bicycles have more time/mileage on a vehicle-mounted bike rack then two wheels on the road. That's just a fact here in the USA (I've witnessed this in numerous states I've lived in), however I don't know about your country.

Now don't get me started on bicycle events, such as the tour:sun

Nean
05-11-2010, 12:15
I volunteer alot of my time but I don't do it on the expense of others. I also do trail maintenance in Florida and when I hike or kayak I pick up trash, clear trails have done many river cleanups. I think there is a way to give of yourself in many ways. But not a big fan of solo charity events.

I am a big fan of people who volunteer their time and money to help others. :banana I could care less if they do it alone or in a group.:) Why?:confused: Because that has nothing to do with it.:eek:

If you do something at the expence of others then you are the charity case.:(

Graywolf
05-11-2010, 12:24
I'm saying this as a life-long cyclist that starts and end my rides from my doorstep and have cycled to work for over 20 years. Most other bicycles have more time/mileage on a vehicle-mounted bike rack then two wheels on the road. That's just a fact here in the USA (I've witnessed this in numerous states I've lived in), however I don't know about your country.

Now don't get me started on bicycle events, such as the tour:sun
I agree with you John, I too am a bicyclist and a tourist...

Most charitie hikes/bike tours I have seen have a link on the website that goes DIRECTLY to the organization and NOT the hiker/biker.. Those here who are posting to raise money for their hikes that way are diffinetly out of the know. Go to www.crazyguyonabike.com (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com) and look up charity rides..NO, these are not organized rides benefiting MS or something another, there individuals out there using their rides to raise money for a cause while they are touring, which I find very commendable..I know of one gentelman who is riding to South America raising money for schools in poor countries.. He stops and speaks in towns along the way and gets the kids involved..

There are hikers doing the same thing..Those of you who put this down, to me need to spend some time volunterring and HYOH..Doing it for a cause is a very good reason to get out there and HIKE..!!

Graywolf

Nean
05-11-2010, 13:59
I agree with you John, I too am a bicyclist and a tourist...

Most charitie hikes/bike tours I have seen have a link on the website that goes DIRECTLY to the organization and NOT the hiker/biker.. Those here who are posting to raise money for their hikes that way are diffinetly out of the know. Go to www.crazyguyonabike.com (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com) and look up charity rides..NO, these are not organized rides benefiting MS or something another, there individuals out there using their rides to raise money for a cause while they are touring, which I find very commendable..I know of one gentelman who is riding to South America raising money for schools in poor countries.. He stops and speaks in towns along the way and gets the kids involved..

There are hikers doing the same thing..Those of you who put this down, to me need to spend some time volunterring and HYOH..Doing it for a cause is a very good reason to get out there and HIKE..!!

Graywolf

couldn't have said it better myself Gw, thank you;)

JAK
05-11-2010, 14:14
OK, I'll probably get alot of flak for this too, but I think local road races shouldn't be charging $20 for a 10 year old to run a 5k or 10k road race even if it is for charity. Nice thing abiut hiking vs running is that it is alot more affordable to bring kids along, and of course, they can still run on the trail as well as walk and hike. Just saying it would be easier to get more kids running if they could run some local races without having to pay $20 or $50 a race. Sure alot of these races are for good causes, but isn't getting kids to be more active a good cause? Save us money on health care down the road also.

Oklahoma has a great running program for kids, and they can race alot of races for free or pay $5 if they register on race day. It's producing excellent results.

Nean
05-11-2010, 14:26
OK, I'll probably get alot of flak for this too, but I think local road races shouldn't be charging $20 for a 10 year old to run a 5k or 10k road race even if it is for charity. Nice thing abiut hiking vs running is that it is alot more affordable to bring kids along, and of course, they can still run on the trail as well as walk and hike. Just saying it would be easier to get more kids running if they could run some local races without having to pay $20 or $50 a race. Sure alot of these races are for good causes, but isn't getting kids to be more active a good cause? Save us money on health care down the road also.

Oklahoma has a great running program for kids, and they can race alot of races for free or pay $5 if they register on race day. It's producing excellent results.

How about if I agree with you?:D

Most races do cost money to put on and provide T-shirts, drinks, etc. and so I can see for these... group events...:-? organizers covering their cost- but not paying themselves.:)

Perhaps free for 10 and below w/ paid adult and 5-15$ under 18 ? or you could run for free and not get the goodies or you could take a run most any place else.;)

Carbo
05-11-2010, 14:37
I heard a rumor that the NPS wants to embed a GPS chip in everyone's arm, and if it detects that you used the AT, your credit card gets charged a fee (like EZ-Pass on a toll road). The proceeds are to be used to put up gift shops, hot-dog stands, and those stupid binocular things along the trail.

Seriously, donating directly to charity is fine, but please don't turn the AT experience into a money making enterprise for any purpose!

Nean
05-11-2010, 14:43
I heard a rumor that the NPS wants to embed a GPS chip in everyone's arm, and if it detects that you used the AT, your credit card gets charged a fee (like EZ-Pass on a toll road). The proceeds are to be used to put up gift shops, hot-dog stands, and those stupid binocular things along the trail.

Seriously, donating directly to charity is fine, but please don't turn the AT experience into a money making enterprise for any purpose!

other than the charity right?:confused:

Otherwise, :-? why should you tell me what my experience should be.....:rolleyes:

Carbo
05-11-2010, 14:49
Why should you tell me that the experience is for charity?

JAK
05-11-2010, 14:55
OK, I wasn't going to tell you guys because I'm really modest, but I went for a hike the other day through Rockwood Park. Please send money to the charity of your choice. :)

Nean
05-11-2010, 15:09
Why should you tell me that the experience is for charity?

Hmmmm..... Errrrr.... Aughhhh.....:o

:D:D:D:D:D

HELLLOOOO!:rolleyes:

How about because its a free country and they are.:)

Not your cup of tea? Fine, don't do or support one. :bananaI served to protect your choice but back to the original question: Why should YOU be telling me why and how to hike my hike? or who I can tell for that matter?:confused:

Kinda sounds like a - personal -predjudice. :(

You can always move to China!:banana

Nean
05-11-2010, 15:22
OK, I wasn't going to tell you guys because I'm really modest, but I went for a hike the other day through Rockwood Park. Please send money to the charity of your choice. :)

What is your address? I also support the OpenJAKSmind fund!!:D

There are MANY of those look at me types on the trail but only once has it been a person walking for a cause, this based on my limited time on the trail and in the community.:o

Nean
05-11-2010, 15:35
Check that, twice and both of them were using proceeds to fund their hikes.

This I find less than honorable but usually say good for you, carry on and don't support them but may support their cause someday if I choose.

To give someone a hard time for trying to do something good and tell them that is no way to do good, do good my way, well thats bad. HYOH and let others hike theirs.:)

Carbo
05-11-2010, 16:00
Good grief... now I gotta dig out my DD214?

sbhikes
05-11-2010, 19:42
I'm just saying I'd like to see someone do something boring, difficult, disgusting or otherwise not fun to raise money for charity. Dare to be different.

I guess it just seems to me that when people say they are "hiking for Haiti" or whatever that they're just looking for a way to foot the bill for their thru-hike. Even though it's probably not true, it just seems that way. I wouldn't think the same thing if they said they were picking up cigarette butts off the beach for charity. Even if they were footing the bill for that activity with my charity money, at least it would be going for trash bags and not for shoes and all-you-can-eat buffets.

JAK
05-11-2010, 19:52
If it is a free country, countries, world, whatever, we can make our point can't we? It's not like I would tackle these folks, like that silly bugger that tried to stop the woman marathoner, or that deranged ex-priest at the Olympics. I agree with SBHikes. We're not out to stop anyone. We're just sayin'. : )

Jonnycat
05-12-2010, 00:46
If indeed you are right, perhaps the day the trail became too crowded was the day you started. HYOFH and don't worry about others and their whys.

Lovely.

On the other hand, there is always someone w/ a negative opinion.:(

Irony alert.

The Weasel
05-12-2010, 01:21
A one-day event, or even a weekender, can be in good taste. But few long distance trail hikes really end up being sponsored or the recipient of "cause" money. It's not quite a scam, but more of an example of what the pathway to Hades is paved with.

TW

Gauguin
05-12-2010, 01:27
...so who do I send my donations to? Bicycles in Need, Save the Posion Oak, Trash Aid.

Nean
05-12-2010, 04:50
Good grief... now I gotta dig out my DD214?

Yep, and think about what it represents.:-?
You have earned the right to choose why and how you hike and/or give back.:)

But why do you think you have the right to tell others for what and why they should hike?:confused:

HYOH means letting others hike thiers.;)

Carbo
05-12-2010, 08:35
I have three thoughts on why people hike:
1 - I don't care.
2 - I really don't care.
3 - I couldn't care less.

garlic08
05-12-2010, 09:54
Some hikers can do it well (hike for a cause). When I asked my friend Pickle to join me on my AT hike after he'd already hiked it years before, he said he'd join me if he could figure out a way to make it a different experience. We joked a little about walking backwards or barefoot, or more seriously maybe a SOBO. But then his life-long friend died of ALS after years of suffering. So Pickle started an effort to raise money for ALS research as part of the hike. He got pledges, mainly from friends and family, for over $6 per mile, about $15,000 total. That was an incredible motivator for our daily walking! The pledges were entirely separate from his expenses. In fact, he never handled any money--he asked that funds be sent directly to the organization. A lot of people enjoyed his/our hike vicariously, and it was a great experience for everybody involved.

JAK
05-12-2010, 10:36
Yep, and think about what it represents.:-?
You have earned the right to choose why and how you hike and/or give back.:)

But why do you think you have the right to tell others for what and why they should hike?:confused:

HYOH means letting others hike thiers.;)Maybe you should stop telling people what they should and should not discuss. Just sayin'

Nean
05-12-2010, 11:21
Lovely.

Irony alert.

People generally always feel like the crowd came AFTER them. This is your example of a negative opinion by me?

Reading comprehension alert!

Nean
05-12-2010, 12:19
Maybe you should stop telling people what they should and should not discuss. Just sayin'

Im just sayin you seem confused. :D
HYOH a bad ideal? I'm asking questions which promotes discussion.
The best anybody has done here to back up their do not hike for charity statements are: I don't like it or I don't care so you shouldn't be doing it. oh - and seems like. Thats rich. I'm still waiting for- just because.:rolleyes:

Lots of good people are doing good things and if that is just too much for someone to bear hearing- well, I feel sorry for them.;)

My question is and has been, why should you (all) tell anyone why they should hike?

There hasn't been an intelligent answer yet.

ce_rubicon
05-12-2010, 12:50
I think is a good idea. If you want to do a long distance hike why not let a charity benifit also. All you are doing is a walk-a-thon, just like school kids do a read-a-thon. My employer does a united way campain every year. I thought about taking unpaid time off to hike for the united way. If I did a walk-a-thon and people pledged per mile .01 that would be 20.00 for 2000 miles. If 1/2 pledged the .01 a mile that would be 400K raised for a charity by the company. That would be a lot of time in a soup kitchen as someone suggested. The company I work for has 41,700 employee's by the way. Giving back to the community is good, you should try it and it may change people's views. I've done house repair and clean up for elderly, fire dept, and helping disable childern. No pay but great satisfaction just knowing you helped a total stranger.

JAK
05-12-2010, 12:56
Im just sayin you seem confused. :D
HYOH a bad ideal? I'm asking questions which promotes discussion.
The best anybody has done here to back up their do not hike for charity statements are: I don't like it or I don't care so you shouldn't be doing it. oh - and seems like. Thats rich. I'm still waiting for- just because.:rolleyes:

Lots of good people are doing good things and if that is just too much for someone to bear hearing- well, I feel sorry for them.;)

My question is and has been, why should you (all) tell anyone why they should hike?

There hasn't been an intelligent answer yet.
I think you are confused.

Carbo
05-12-2010, 13:57

Hear, hear!

Nean
05-12-2010, 14:12

and this is why you can't provide examples or answer the question...:rolleyes:.

and I hear, hear you Carbo. You should not post on this thread because I really, REALLY don't care why you say what you do!:D

Everyone has their own reasons as to why they hike and they have every right to say why. Why this would bother anyone makes me wonder why? So yeah- I am confused about that.

Haven't heard a good reason yet.;)

BTW- Very cool Garlic!:)