PDA

View Full Version : Have to rave about the Sony TX5 camera

Philetus
05-10-2010, 18:35
I plan to start a Springer-to-Damascus 40-day hike in late May, and so I've spent the past few months looking at possible new cameras to take with me. I don't want to lug a full DSLR, and I had no faith in my old Sony Cybershot surviving the trip.

I came across a preview for Sony's new TX5 (http://tinyurl.com/2b3qnc3) online in February and was very intrigued. It's supposed to be shockproof, waterproof, dustproof (basically, trail-proof), all at about 5 oz., battery and memory included.

I got it not long after it was released, and got a chance to see how it performed in the wild last week on a three-night solo through the lower Palmetto Trail in South Carolina.

The first day, I had a heat-index of 90 (got to love these Lowcountry spring days), and on the second, I had 18 straight hours or rain, about three of those a legitimate downpour.

The camera rode in the front pocket of a pair of zip-off pants for the entire second day, and it and the pants were soaked. The camera worked like a champ, including taking good pictures while rain was blowing sideways.

It does not have the same image quality as a DSLR, but considering that I wouldn't have dared to take a DSLR out of its bag on a day like that, the TX5 allowed me to get dozens of shots I would not otherwise have managed.

I've posted some of the shots on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49772&id=1627684670), if you want to take a look at the results.

Loneoak
05-11-2010, 00:14
Nice pics, I have no idea what kind of snake that is, hopefully someone else will look at the pics and let you know.

Wags
05-11-2010, 00:52
i'd look but i'm don't have facebook

Graywolf
05-11-2010, 02:03
Nice pics, I have no idea what kind of snake that is, hopefully someone else will look at the pics and let you know.

It diffinitely is an Eastern Rat Snake, (alleghaniensis), it through me off for the lack of bands that normally run down the spine..The lines ending just below the eyelids and snout gave it the clue..Very beautifull snake..If you google Taiwanian Beauty snake you will see a very close resembleance..The Beauty Snake, which is in the same sub-species, is the largest of them all, able to exceed 12 feet in length. The eastern rat snake, can get up to 8 feet in length..

thanks for sharing, very beautfull..Thanks for letting it move on its way...

Graywolf