PDA

View Full Version : Quilts and bivy question

lostjohn
10-25-2004, 22:50
Has anyone used a quilt with a bivy? I made a quick quilt out of some stuff lying around the house and really like it. Didn't do anything fancy, just sewed a flat quilt, folded in half and sewed across the foot and up the side a little ways. I am hooked.

Interestingly, My first camping trips were near Grayson Highlands as a boy and used some of Mom's homemade quilts. If she had only had ripstop nylon and polyester batting.

I would like to try it with a small tarp using a simple set up. Was thinking about making something like a bivy without the hood. Something to put the pad, quilt and pillow in without using a ground cloth.

This might be another one of my dumb ideas, would like to hear from you all.

thks

Jaybird
10-26-2004, 05:43
Yo LostJohn

the quilt might be a bit of "overkill" not to mention a bit "weighty"....
but, as far as the Bivy goes....i'm a fan of the bivy-style tent.

i still use my Kelty Dart-2....most people ask what it is...."it's just right!" :D

plenty of room for my 20 degree bag, less than 3 lbs, & my pack on the inside....what else do you need?

good luck with your hike!

orangebug
10-26-2004, 07:22
Quilts seem to be getting more popular with hammock hanging and as a warm weather sleep gear. I'm not sure I quite get why you would use both a bivy and a tarp, especially if the bivy is open and you wouldn't use a ground cloth. I'd suggest a Tyvek ground cloth and thick closed cell pad and try out the quilt under the tarp.

Quilts don't have to be very heavy at all. Ed Speer makes them in down to augment the PeaPod.

Bill...

food
10-26-2004, 09:58
I use both a Fanatic Fringe quilt and a Nunatak Arc Alpinist with a Bibler Winter bivy and a poncho/tarp.

http://www.fanaticfringe.com/page6.html

http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_Arc_Alpinist_Sleeping_Bag.htm

The bivy protects the bag from blowing rain and also stops most drafts.

You need a good balaclava to replace the hood on the bag and on cold nights you do miss the draft collar.

I generally use a closed cell pad outside the bivy and a self inflating pad inside the bivy.

A poncho is just big enough to keep you dry without a bivy, but I lose sleep when I have to stay in just the right position to stay dry and there is not a lot of room to do anything else.

Ray was over the top about a lot of things, but he is right about quilts. :banana