PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag in GA in July?

Point Man Chef
05-10-2010, 20:32
My son and I will be hiking the GA section of the AT in mid July. I got to thinking about what to expect as far as temperatures and began wondering if a three season bag was a bit much. Any ideas on alternative bags or sleep gear? I also thought I could possibly save some weight with another alternative?

Tinker
05-10-2010, 20:42
I don't know about Georgia, but in Vt. in July I once carried only a down vest, a light sweater, and a closed cell foam pad for sleeping in my hammock. I got chilly on one night, but not too bad.
Clothing plus a non-coated bivy bag is also a good alternative for summer camping (especially at lower altitudes).

HiKen2011
05-10-2010, 21:01
Very hot and humid here in July. Anything other than that would be an exception. Only a sleeping bag liner ( 5oz.) is all that is required, under normal circumstances. Temps. here in July are usually around 85-100 degrees during the Day with nightime temps. around 70-80 degees, with the humidity anywhere from 50%-85%. Have a blast!!!!! PS Elevation will obviously play a part. Typicaly for every 1000 ft of elevation, expect 3 dgrees of temp. change.

Dtour

bigcranky
05-10-2010, 21:25
I carry my bag and just open it and drape it over me as a quilt. The nights that it dips into the low 50s make carrying it worthwhile.

Skidsteer
05-10-2010, 21:41
I carry a 45F bag in GA in July. It's always been sufficient.Never been cold that I remember.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-10-2010, 21:47
I have a 50F synthetic bag for places like GA in July - hot, humid and frequently rainy. I wear extra clothes in the bag if temps drop.

Blissful
05-10-2010, 21:50
summer weight. I'd carry my Marmot pounder.

Mountain Shuttler
05-10-2010, 22:07
You're kidding right? Lows in the 70's & 80's at night and daytime highs up to 100. I have lived in Dahlonega for 10 years and the hottest it has ever been at my house during that time is 97 degrees. That was during the August heat wave of 2008 when temperatures in Atlanta were over 100 for several days.By the way,our house is only at around 1400 feet in elevation which is much lower than most of the AT in Georgia. Our average July high temperatures in Dahlonega range from 82-88 and the average lows range from 60-65. The highs around Neel Gap at around 3100 feet in elevation range from 75-82 and the lows typically range from 55-60. Of course there are exceptions,last year it was 44 degrees on the morning of July 4th at Neel. Highs of up to 100 and lows only in the 70-80 degree range are more typical of the coastal area of Savannah which is over 300 miles from the AT. I do shuttles to all areas of the trail in GA and keeping up with weather conditions is part of my job.

daddytwosticks
05-11-2010, 07:36
Take a lightweight synthetic SB good to about 50 or use a lightweight quilt. Also, a cheap 100wt sweater or vest would be a good back-up.

max patch
05-11-2010, 07:38
I carry my bag and just open it and drape it over me as a quilt. The nights that it dips into the low 50s make carrying it worthwhile.

Thats what I do.

mister krabs
05-11-2010, 09:01
The lightest thing you have will work. I've used a fleece throw when I didn't have a summer sleeping bag. I got one of these (http://www.rei.com/product/798906)last year. It's 20oz, 35$ and entirely adequate for Georgia in the summer.

HiKen2011
05-11-2010, 10:09
You're kidding right? Lows in the 70's & 80's at night and daytime highs up to 100. I have lived in Dahlonega for 10 years and the hottest it has ever been at my house during that time is 97 degrees. That was during the August heat wave of 2008 when temperatures in Atlanta were over 100 for several days.By the way,our house is only at around 1400 feet in elevation which is much lower than most of the AT in Georgia. Our average July high temperatures in Dahlonega range from 82-88 and the average lows range from 60-65. The highs around Neel Gap at around 3100 feet in elevation range from 75-82 and the lows typically range from 55-60. Of course there are exceptions,last year it was 44 degrees on the morning of July 4th at Neel. Highs of up to 100 and lows only in the 70-80 degree range are more typical of the coastal area of Savannah which is over 300 miles from the AT. I do shuttles to all areas of the trail in GA and keeping up with weather conditions is part of my job.

Last yr was the coolest summer I can ever remember here in North Ga. I have lived here (Dalton) my entire life and can assure you the nightime lows are more consistant with 70's to 80's than 50's to 60's in July. The elevation here is around 700 ft. Like I said elevation and mountains in general are going to cooler than town conditions.

Dtour

Mountain Shuttler
05-11-2010, 12:45
So what,I've lived in GA all my life also and the elevation that you live at is similar to Atlanta's. I think the question was about what type of sleeping bag was needed and what temperatures to expect on the AT in Georgia in July. Also,I actually go to the AT area on a regular basis as opposed to being just another cyber hiker. I was at Hightower,Cooper,Gooch,Woody,& Hogpen Gaps yesterday and will be at Springer tomorrow and actually went hiking yesterday instead of just sitting around giving unreliable information.

HiKen2011
05-11-2010, 15:04
So what,I've lived in GA all my life also and the elevation that you live at is similar to Atlanta's. I think the question was about what type of sleeping bag was needed and what temperatures to expect on the AT in Georgia in July. Also,I actually go to the AT area on a regular basis as opposed to being just another cyber hiker. I was at Hightower,Cooper,Gooch,Woody,& Hogpen Gaps yesterday and will be at Springer tomorrow and actually went hiking yesterday instead of just sitting around giving unreliable information.r

This information is reliable, just check you're area's avereage temps for July, I did. July according to the weather for Dahlonega is the hottest month of the year for that area, with an average 86 plus degrees in July, a mean temp of 74.1 and a miniumum temp of 64 degrees.

Go back hiking and u do research before u give un-reliable weather info. And by the way it is always important to know what the temps will be statisticly to know what type equipment to bring. Enjoy your walk in the woods.

Dtour

10-K
05-11-2010, 15:37
Check the weather report the week you leave and prepare accordingly.

What the weather was like last year, average annual whatevers, etc. don't really matter.

(but I understand the question... I often wonder what to expect and have asked the same thing on more than one occasion...)

Point Man Chef
05-11-2010, 16:50
Thanks to all and you're right on 10-K. Just looking ahead to make sure I got the gear options needed for the conditions when we are set to go. Can't help myself. I will beat my plan to death before taking off because once I'm gone, that's it, right? Whatever happens out there is why I go. Plan is start "here" end "there." Everything in between is the part that's best. Preparation just makes it all that more enjoyable!!!

Mountain Shuttler
05-11-2010, 22:49
The AT does not run through Dahlonega,but I can tell you as a year round resident of the mountains of North GA that high temperatures on the trail generally run around 10 to as much as 20 degrees cooler than in the valley areas. I know this because I'm actually out there and don't rely on weather forecast which are wrong more than half the time. As the old saying goes,the mountains make their own weather. Anyway,enjoy your hike Point Man Chef and please give me a call at 706-265-9454 if you have any questions about the trail.

Graywolf
05-11-2010, 23:27
The AT does not run through Dahlonega,but I can tell you as a year round resident of the mountains of North GA that high temperatures on the trail generally run around 10 to as much as 20 degrees cooler than in the valley areas. I know this because I'm actually out there and don't rely on weather forecast which are wrong more than half the time. As the old saying goes,the mountains make their own weather. Anyway,enjoy your hike Point Man Chef and please give me a call at 706-265-9454 if you have any questions about the trail.

I have to agree with Mountain Shuttle.. Last year when I was planning my section hike I asked the exact same question and had the same answers, 100* and 100% humidity, or HOT and HUMID was always the replies.. Just before leaving I checked the forecast for Blood Mountain (Very Reliable information) and it was calling for low to mid 80 temps during the day and low to mid 60s at night.. I am from Texas where temps get over 100+ and 100% humidity in August (when I went), when I arrived at Springer I said to my self, "If this is Hot I must be in Heaven"... It never got above 85* the entire time I was out, I loved it..

By the way, I took a fleece throw I bought from Wal-mart..It worked just fine.. I will take it again this year..

Graywolf

Mountain Shuttler
05-12-2010, 15:03
Thanks Graywolf and you're right about it being hot in Big D in the summer. I just got back a couple of hours ago from a shuttle to the parking area north of Springer and it was much cooler there than down the mountain in Dahlonega. So anyway,I called up George at Blood Mountain Cabins (3000 FT Elevation) which are just below the Mountain Crossings Outfitter at Neel Gap to compare temperatures with where I live in Dahlonega (1400 FT Elevation.) Sure enough,the temperature at Neel Gap at 2:15 PM today was 66 degrees and at my house it was 76 degrees. The weather forecast for today called for highs in the 80's which they certainly won't be even close to that on the AT. I also asked George who has owned BMC for 16 years what was the hottest temperature he had seen at the cabins during that time and he said that it was 84. Last year the hottest temperature was 79. Just thought that I'd present the facts so my fellow hikers can be prepared.

HiKen2011
05-12-2010, 15:50
Thanks Graywolf and you're right about it being hot in Big D in the summer. I just got back a couple of hours ago from a shuttle to the parking area north of Springer and it was much cooler there than down the mountain in Dahlonega. So anyway,I called up George at Blood Mountain Cabins (3000 FT Elevation) which are just below the Mountain Crossings Outfitter at Neel Gap to compare temperatures with where I live in Dahlonega (1400 FT Elevation.) Sure enough,the temperature at Neel Gap at 2:15 PM today was 66 degrees and at my house it was 76 degrees. The weather forecast for today called for highs in the 80's which they certainly won't be even close to that on the AT. I also asked George who has owned BMC for 16 years what was the hottest temperature he had seen at the cabins during that time and he said that it was 84. Last year the hottest temperature was 79. Just thought that I'd present the facts so my fellow hikers can be prepared.

Blood Mountain Widerness Weather for today:

Hi 76
Humidity 58%
Heat index 80
Wind chill 79
Tonight low 60

Thanks for the accurate forcast MS :-?

Dtour

Mountain Shuttler
05-12-2010, 16:39
Hey KD,I talked to someone who was ACTUALLY AT Neel Gap today just as I was ACTUALLY AT Springer today. We don't rely on inaccurate weather reports like cyber hikers do!

huhman
05-12-2010, 16:55
sorry for butting in, but do guys argue all the time like this? does 5-10 degrees difference really matter.? The point is it isn't cold, the guy can probably just bring a liner . . . but then again I'm used to -10 to -20 Celsius in the winter . . .

max patch
05-12-2010, 17:22
Hey KD,I talked to someone who was ACTUALLY AT Neel Gap today just as I was ACTUALLY AT Springer today. We don't rely on inaccurate weather reports like cyber hikers do!

Its ironic that the header for the above post -- "accuracy in posts" -- erroneously uses "Neel" Gap instead of the correct "Neels" Gap.

max patch
05-12-2010, 17:23
sorry for butting in, but do guys argue all the time like this?

No. Its usually much worse.

newspix1
06-07-2011, 13:03
Hey folks, where's the closest weather station for the southern section of the AT where I can obtain a reliable forecast for Springer to Neels? I was up there last week, June 1 to June 4, and daytime temps were almost as hot as back in my home town of New Orleans. However the temps at night were a much cooler that down here in the swamp. I was carrying a Kelty Light Year 40-degree sleeping bag and a slik liner. Used the liner on top of the bag most of the time.

scope
06-07-2011, 13:13
Its ironic that the header for the above post -- "accuracy in posts" -- erroneously uses "Neel" Gap instead of the correct "Neels" Gap.

Actually, I remember seeing something posted before that the technically correct name is Neel Gap, not Neels. I don't really know, but I do think those referring to it as "Neel" are deliberately doing so. Obviously its listed as "Neels" in just about everything I've seen listing it, so that's what I go with, too.

scope
06-07-2011, 13:16
Hey folks, where's the closest weather station for the southern section of the AT where I can obtain a reliable forecast for Springer to Neels? I was up there last week, June 1 to June 4, and daytime temps were almost as hot as back in my home town of New Orleans. However the temps at night were a much cooler that down here in the swamp. I was carrying a Kelty Light Year 40-degree sleeping bag and a slik liner. Used the liner on top of the bag most of the time.

I use Suches for that section.

max patch
06-07-2011, 14:17
Actually, I remember seeing something posted before that the technically correct name is Neel Gap, not Neels. I don't really know, but I do think those referring to it as "Neel" are deliberately doing so. Obviously its listed as "Neels" in just about everything I've seen listing it, so that's what I go with, too.

The name was "technically" and "legally" changed from Neel to Neels 1950 ish and is listed in the government data base as such. I've posted links before, but you are correct, the people that call it Neel are doing it to stir the pot and are not interested in the factual truth.

max patch
06-07-2011, 14:20
I use Suches for that section.

So do I.

Suches is just N of Woody Gap and is also the highest elevation city in Georgia so it makes sense to check there.

Bearpaw
06-07-2011, 16:09
A poncho liner (http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS385&source=hp&q=poncho+liner+image&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=999deff09172bf35&biw=1263&bih=588), 22 ounces and $25 or so at a surplus store, will easily handle your sleeping needs in Georgia with time of year.

Skidsteer
06-07-2011, 16:20

If you use the NOAA site (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=34.627381383424804&lon=-84.19389724731445&site=ffc&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text), you can input zip code or city or you can scroll around on the Detailed Point Forecast to specific lat/lons, such as Springer, very easily.

kanga
06-07-2011, 16:29
i think it has already been established that you are in a class all by yourself.

kanga
06-07-2011, 16:34
in july in ga i take a 50"* fleece bag that i made and i usually don't sleep in it due to it being muggy as hell. sometimes, it gets humid enough for me to cowboy camp and say whatever to the bugs. anything for a breeze..

10-K
06-07-2011, 16:36
I'm gearing up to hike the Bartram Trail next month and all I'm taking is a silk liner.

newspix1
06-08-2011, 15:06
Thanks Skidsteer, the NOAA site is exactly what I was looking for. I just clicked on the link you provided and it took me straight to Springer.

Skidsteer
06-08-2011, 16:09
Thanks Skidsteer, the NOAA site is exactly what I was looking for. I just clicked on the link you provided and it took me straight to Springer.

That's because I have it saved to my favorites and copied and pasted it that way. :)

FatMan
06-09-2011, 13:54
There are no weather stations near the Appalachian Trail at altitude. The NOAA site is a good tool and they do make adjustments for altitude but the current conditions are not for Springer. Always check for where they are recorded. For Springer the current conditions are recorded at the Cherokee County GA Airport. At a quick glance you would think it is 90 degrees at Springer, but that is surely not the case. Same is true of so many other sites providing forecasts and conditions. If memory serves me correctly when you look up Suches weather on weather.com it gives you conditions from Turners Corner which is much lower elevation and many miles away.

My thermometer sits 2900' elevation 250 yards off the trail at Grassy Gap,one mile north of Gooch Gap. I have offered before and will again that if you want current conditions for temps and water send me a PM a few days before you leave.

Rain Man
06-09-2011, 16:05
I hiked Springer-to-Neels Gap over July 31-Aug 3 in '03. Had a down 45 degree bag and froze in it. As soon as I got home I returned it to REI. My zipper pull thermometer never read above 74 degrees any day.

The most uncomfortable, coldest-for-me night I ever spent on the AT (and this includes sub-freezing nights in a good down bag several times) was on Standing Indian Mountain, just across the GA border in NC, again during a summer, cowboy camping in a Walmart fleece blanket with zipper. I'll never rely on a fleece blanket at altitude again! The fog/cloud and fast cold wind blew right through that fleece!

In short, everyone sleeps differently and you'll have to find your own sweet spot. But remember, altitude affects weather greatly.

Rain:sunMan

daddytwosticks
06-10-2011, 07:31
If a violent summer thunderstorm dumps on you right before you stop and make camp (typical in summertime) and drops the temps, you'll be cold and damp that night. Will you die? No, but it may make for a miserable hiking trip. :)

10-K
06-10-2011, 07:50
No. Its usually much worse.

Herein lies the greatest concentration of people who are never wrong I've ever encountered.

I'm starting to get so cynical I've had to quit checking in as often.....