PDA

View Full Version : CDT hike in Cibola national forest

MJN
05-10-2010, 21:15
Im in Albuequeque right now and am trying to get out of the city for a few days. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think my best option for closeness is to start in Grants, NM right off of I 40. does anyone have any experience in that area? are there water sources?

fiddlehead
05-10-2010, 22:24
It is of my opinion that Grants isn't the nicest place to start for a 2 or 3 day trip in that area.
Perhaps starting at El Malpais on the east side, going through the lava fields that are quite spectacular (although no water) and coming out to a road and then a nice valley going up and eventually into Grants although there was a road walk before the big town.

If you have transportation or can go a little further away from Albuquerque, check into Gila NF. A hike NOBO into the hot springs there (although there could be a lot of fording depending on the route you choose south of there), would be a good one.

Some of the best stuff in NM is up near Chama and Ghost ranch where Georgia O'Keefe painted many of her pictures with the awesome rock formations and colors there.

Good luck in your choices.

Dogwood
05-10-2010, 22:57
I like some of Fiddlehead's ideas. I don't know that area of NM extremely well for hiking opps other than the official CDT route and some of its alternates but if you are willing to go to Grants for 2-3 days to hike hiking around/in the Gila River and Gila Cliff Dwellings might interst you too. Gila Cliffs Nat. Monument is a little further south of Grants though.

In the immedate vicinity of Grants El Mapais has a decent 2-3 day loop hike that I could help you with. Ley puts out some maps of the CDT that might interest you. They are probably the maps most used by CDT thru-hikers. I have a detailed map with various routes in El Mapais, just south of Grants off Rt 117, that would give you water info and provide a nice, but probably hot 2-3 day loop(or do a shorter dayhike) of the lava fields, chain of craters, a nice short ridge hike, and an arch in El Mapais. Let me know ASAP if something like that in ElMapais would interest you and I'll fax the map to you first thing in the morning!

MJN
05-10-2010, 23:34
Thanks for all the suggestions! yes yes i am very interested in that loop hike in El Mapais!. El mapais looks like a real cool place.

Dogwood
05-11-2010, 01:33
If you need the map right away send me a fax number and I can get it out to you tues morn. If you are interested in that hike and have a car(no car and you can hitch to the visitor center) I would start at the EL Mapais Visitor Center, go to the Ice Cave, get water there from a spigot(it's going to be hot across the chain of craters), and go on your way. I'll send you the map and highlight the route I would take, add some alternates, and contribute a few notes on what I would take in and some advice. You may have to carry some water with you to do the loop though. If for some reason you wish to shorten your time out there you can bushwack over to or walk some stretches of very nearby paved/dirt roads(you also might see others out there in automobiles that you might yogi some water from too) to get you back to your car or Grants sooner. Let me know.

MJN
05-11-2010, 12:17
unfortunatly, i do not have a fax machine. Maybe it could be sent to a kinkos or something? Ill find that out and the number if it can be. Im in no rush right now since i probably wont be going until next week. thanks for all the help and info and going out of your way to send me a map, ill figure out the fax situation as soon as possible and let you know.

Dogwood
05-11-2010, 12:53
MJN. if you are really interested in hiking near Grants in El Mapais and you can't start until next wk I can snail mail you the map, notes, etc or fax it ASAP to any place with a biz center like a bigger hotel, Kinkos, Staples, or Office Max. No problema. Just let me know in a PM or by E Mail.

txag
05-11-2010, 13:32
I live in ABQ and will provide any logistical support if you need it (wheels, etc). Do not have a fax but could print off pdf's.

I have been to all of your destinations including hiking the trail across the Malpais, but overall that area is not my cup of tea. I prefer trees not growing out of cracks in lava lol.

Currently unemployed so I have the time.........

Dogwood
05-11-2010, 13:45
There you go MJN. You got some advice on hiking in the Grants area and some to assist you. That's why they call it a "hiking community!"