PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag rating?

jasonG
05-11-2010, 02:32
so my current sleeping bag is a 0*, 3.5lb, very bulky northface and I am looking into a new bag for the trip. I was wondering what you have used on the jmt degree rating wise?

I am looking into the WM megalite which is a 30*. do you think that will be cold? I am kinda a cold sleeper but I will have a MB inner parka, IB 260 merino zip top, and probably 260 merino bottoms.

lunchbx
05-11-2010, 06:35
personally i would not go out with anything but a 0 degree bag but im the "be prepared" boyscout type. i once did a small section and stayed at a shelter with a thru hiker who was goin light. he woke up shivering for about an hour and couldnt stop, he had to get up and walk around to regain some body heat, i made sure to look at his bag the next morning i didnt catch the rating but it was very thin. i thought this guy is crazy its the begining of september. even in mid summer i go for the 0 degree though, if its too hot use it as a blanket and dont zip it. better safe than sorry if u ask me.

buz
05-11-2010, 09:52
Well, my .02 would be where else would you use it, and to what temp, outside of the JMT? If colder is likely on other trips, buy up one model to the alpinlite, a 20 degree one, still way light and compact. If never cold camping, then I would say the mega is OK. If I was spending the cash for a new WM, I would spend a couple more bucks and go for the Alpinlite, and you will be good to go no matter what. Sucks to be cold at night, and being hot is easy to deal with at night. Being cold is not simple and draining. Good luck.

The Other Tom
05-17-2010, 21:24
A 20 degree bag should be sufficient. You'll need a fleece and rain jacket anyway, so sleep in your clothes if you get cold.

Ladytrekker
05-17-2010, 21:33
Can you get by with a 45 degree in late May on Springer to Neels? I have been watching mountain-forecast.com and looking at Blood and Springer at their highest elevations and weather is lurking in the low 60's to high 50's at night. Could really use the insight.

The Other Tom
05-17-2010, 21:59
Can you get by with a 45 degree in late May on Springer to Neels?
Maybe, but not on the JMT :)

Graywolf
05-18-2010, 02:27
Can you get by with a 45 degree in late May on Springer to Neels? I have been watching mountain-forecast.com and looking at Blood and Springer at their highest elevations and weather is lurking in the low 60's to high 50's at night. Could really use the insight.

That was the lows for my hike last August. I got away with a fleece throw I bought from walmart..You should be fine, if not a little warm..

Graywolf

Ladytrekker
05-18-2010, 10:45
That was the lows for my hike last August. I got away with a fleece throw I bought from walmart..You should be fine, if not a little warm..

Graywolf

Thanks for the answer but I must have had a senior moment did not even notice that this was regarding the John Muir Trail. So thanks for placating me. LOL.

skinewmexico
05-19-2010, 00:27
My Megalite is the single most beautiful piece of outdoor gear I've ever purchased. Everyone should own one. Based on mine, I think you could get to 25, and probably 20 with the base layers you're talking about. I'm thinking mine is probably good to 25 with no layers. WM is pretty conservative.