PDA

View Full Version : Wild River Wilderness

mattack
05-11-2010, 09:49
Some friends and I will be hiking the Wild River Wilderness area for about 5 days starting the first week of June...

Wondering what to expect weather-wise up there? What are the night-time temps at those elevations? I know it's not quite the presidentials, but wondering if I should be ready for any rogue inclement weather. Forgive me, I'm from PA...I know all about rocks, but nothing about mountains :D

Thanks!

woodsy
05-11-2010, 12:49
You could see some temps in the 20s at worst overnight but more likely in the 30 - 50 range if you are camping in the valley.
. Best thing to do would be to pull up the NWS 7 day forecast (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Gilead&state=ME&site=GYX&textField1=44.3942&textField2=-70.9733&e=0)for the area before leaving , nearest town is Gilead, Maine
Hate to say it but you should always be ready for rouge inclement weather, better safe than sorry.
Should not be expecting much in the way of snow in that area though, thats the good news , rain possibly.

mattack
05-12-2010, 08:48
You could see some temps in the 20s at worst overnight but more likely in the 30 - 50 range if you are camping in the valley.
. Best thing to do would be to pull up the NWS 7 day forecast (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Gilead&state=ME&site=GYX&textField1=44.3942&textField2=-70.9733&e=0)for the area before leaving , nearest town is Gilead, Maine
Hate to say it but you should always be ready for rouge inclement weather, better safe than sorry.
Should not be expecting much in the way of snow in that area though, thats the good news , rain possibly.

Thanks! Very helpful info.

peakbagger
05-12-2010, 13:11
The area is downslope of Mt Washington and the carter range, which on occasion leads to more rain and thundershowers than surrounding areas.

When it does rain, the streams rise quickly but also fall quickly, some of the water crossings are best not attempted after heavy rain. I remember the Blue Brook crossing to be one of these.

There are a lot of wet areas which tend to encourage the mosquito and black fly crops

If the weather conditions are right it can get colder down in the valley than up slope.

It would be pushing it to see below freezing temps during June, but if you camp up at hihger elevations it could.