PDA

View Full Version : How to Reinforce Shoulder Straps on a GVP G-4?

Lucinda
10-26-2004, 07:20
I love the G-4, it's such a great design. I took it out for a week recently and it performed fairly well overall. I may have overstuffed it a bit since I took about a week's worth of food and usually carry about 3 litres of water, but it was still solid. I reinforced the hipbelt by inserted both the foam pads that came with the pack together with 1/4" closed cell sleeping pad material, so the hip belt feels solid. I tried to do the same with the shoulder straps but I only had enough room to insert the 1/4" pad without the foam pads that came with the pack. This meant that the shoulder pads were a bit too flimsy and so they got crushed by my arms and shoulders which caused some discomfort. Does anyone have a method of reinforcing the shoulder straps? I'd rather use padding than clothing as GVP suggests.

Also, my 3 litres of water which I carry on one side of the pack tends to make the pack very lopsided as my food weight goes down and my pack weight decreases. What's the key to carrying water with a lighter pack? Just try to rearrange the interior contents to accommodate for the weight of the water?

orangebug
10-26-2004, 07:32
You are carrying 6 pounds of water. Why? I can see that toward the end of the day while searching for the campsite and kitchen. It is just usually not necessary to carry more than a liter, with cameling at each water hole.

I usually carry water as high and near my back as possible, between the top compartment and the body of my Kelty Flight. As the pack gets lighter and more empty, I may stuff something to keep it from shifting away from my back. I carry water in a Platypus bladder and suck on it frequently.

Another choice would be to fashion a belly pack of some sort to carry water in a soda bottle or such. That is where I keep my extra night-time water.

dshipley
10-26-2004, 18:38
I also have the G4 pack. I have used it on several weekend and 3 day trips. I use my extra pair of socks in the shouldr straps and it seems to work well for me. They are pretty heavy socks, I really have to work to get them in there. I also have to carry 3 liters of water when I go hiking with my wife. (for some reason she won't carry more than 24 ounces of water and doesn't quite grasp the cameling up idea.). Sounds like you are carying all three liters in one container. If you are you might try splitting it up into three 1 liter containers so you can balance the weight out. I carry all the water in the side mesh pockets two 1 liter containers on one side and 1 on the other. Seems like there would be alot of weight on one side a pack designed to carry a max of 30-35 pounds if it wasn't split up.

Happy
10-27-2004, 08:49
I also have and use the G-4 pack and use ONLY the foam pads that came with it for the hipbelt and the shoulder straps...works for me... but my total pack weight rarely reaches 30 pounds. Try removing the sleeping pad material and use only the foam pad that came with the pack, using the pattern to cut it.

As for the water problem...I use a 2 liter platy in one of the side pockets and balance the other side pocket with a misc. bag carrying my water treatment, first aid, hygene kit, repair kit, headlamp, etc. and also stuff my rain gear and fuel and other items to try and balance the weight of each side of the pack.

If you want to stay with the 3 liter bag you could use the rear pocket to center the weight but this would put a lot of weight away from your back and could be a center of gravity issue? I find the G-4 to be comfortable with weights of 22-27 pounds.